New Racism

53 posts

Flag Post

New racism is something that is spreading through society. A new racist only acts racist to another person if that person follows the stereotypes of thier race.

For example, if a new racist works in an office alongside a black man in a business suit, he will treat that black man as an equal. However, if that new racist sees a black man on the street dealing drugs and wearing gang attire, he will be racist towards that black man.

I would like to know peoples’ opinions on “new racism”.

Flag Post

Racism by definition is ATTACHING such stereotypes to people, not REACTING to them.
I mean, what’s RACIST about disliking a drug dealer?
He’s a defined criminal, so why one would like him?
And if he happen to be black, so what?
I wouldn’t call this racism – or you should specify more clearly.

Flag Post

So, “new racism” is reacting to the person’s actions, and not his race. Sounds like it isn’t racism at all.

Flag Post

You are a racist if you treat people of a certain race badly. You are not a racist if you treat people with a certain other feature badly. I really don’t think “new racist” is a correct term for this.

Flag Post

I know what you mean, but I’d consider it the same sort of racism, just directed at individuals instead of an entire group of people.

Sort of like mini racism, or how vegetarians are like vegans but not as hardcore.

Flag Post
but I’d consider it the same sort of racism, just directed at individuals instead of an entire group of people.

If it is directed against an individual, it is not racism. The very word racism means against the race -against a group, not an individual. It is not racism to hold disdain for one white person but chat all day with another. The first cannot claim it is racism, as you are not reacting in a similar manner to all members of that race.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:
I really don’t think “new racist” is a correct term for this.

Double standardism, maybe?

Flag Post

so how would a “new racist” respond to a white “man on the street dealing drugs and wearing gang attide”?

if he would respond in quite the same manner, he’s just being offensive, and in this case using racial slurs to be offensive with. if he doesn’t, it’s a non-generalising racist, which is still racist.

Flag Post

Hey guys, I’m NOT racist!!

I only act racist towards people who act stereotypical and therefor DESERVE to be discriminated against!!!!!

Also, I doubt any of these “new racists” do the same thing towards white stereotypes.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CROWmosome:

I only act racist towards people who act stereotypical and therefor DESERVE to be discriminated against!!!!!

Nobody deserves to be discriminated againsst for ‘stereotypical’ actions.

Also, I doubt any of these “new racists” do the same thing towards white stereotypes.

discrimination based on someone having light skin is still racial discrimination.

Flag Post

but you’re not a racist if you racially discriminate all races evenly. you’d just be a dick, most likely.

Flag Post

As long as when they see someone from another race fitting that same stereotype they react the same. For example a white drug dealer wearing gang attire.

Flag Post

The gang attire is irrelevant. I’ll treat a drug dealer with disdain, because they are a drug dealer. Handing out substances of dubious quality indiscriminately, so long as the clint can pay, with no thought as to the other medication the client might be on, or specific metabolic issues they already have.

Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

but you’re not a racist if you racially discriminate all races evenly. you’d just be a dick, most likely.

You are still a racist, because you are discriminating against each individual based solely on the color of their skin.

Flag Post

they’re acting racist in that context. they’re pretending to be racist maybe. but i think someone only truly is a racist if they have racist sentiments.

if i call a woman a bitch or a twat or some sex-based insult if she acts a certain way, and i call a man a dickhead or something like that when they act certain way, does that make me a sexist?

no i think i’m only a sexist if i have sexist sentiments, not just if i use sexist insults where contextually fitting.

Flag Post

You’re insulting the individual, not the gender.

Flag Post

Discriminating (for lack of a better word) against someone for their personal actions isn’t racism.
Discriminating against someone because of their race, despite their personal actions is.

I choose not to hang out with drug dealers and criminals. It has nothing to do with their skin color or ethnicity, so how does that make me a racist? How does my opinion that drug dealers are low lives make me a racist when race plays no factor in my formation of that opinion?

Flag Post

Maybe the drug dealer example wasn’t the best one, here’s something different:

If a new racist works in an office alongside a Mexican man in a business suit, he will treat that Mexican man as an equal. However, if that new racist sees a Mexican man who snuck into the country under the radar working a lowly minumum wage manual labor job, he will be racist towards that Mexican man.

Flag Post

Then he’s not really a racist still. He’s a bit to nationalistic and patriotic and anti-immigrant, but he clearly doesn’t dislike all Mexicans, just the illegal ones.
He might be a little racist if he just hated Mexican illegals.

Flag Post

Again, not a racist. He is prejudiced against lawbreakers. Disliking criminals does not make you racist.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

You’re insulting the individual, not the gender.

right.

Again, not a racist. He is prejudiced against lawbreakers. Disliking criminals does not make you racist.

you can also just get his point though.

Flag Post

I’m not referring to disliking criminals. I am referring to acting racist towards people who follow the stereotypes of thier race, but at the same time respecting people of that same race who break away from the stereotypes.

Let’s go back to the example with the black man, but without the drugs or gangs.

The new racist respects his black coworker and treats him as an equal. However, when he sees black men on the street wearing old saggy jeans and hoodies while having a conversation in which they throw in the n-word between every few words, he would be racist towards those black men.

Flag Post
Originally posted by fma1:

I’m not referring to disliking criminals. I am referring to acting racist towards people who follow the stereotypes of thier race, but at the same time respecting people of that same race who break away from the stereotypes.

This makes no sense. You judge each individual on what you see them do. Therefore you are judging the individuals. It is not racist to judge each individual on a case by case basis. It is pretty much the complete opposite.

Let’s go back to the example with the black man, but without the drugs or gangs.

The new racist respects his black coworker and treats him as an equal. However, when he sees black men on the street wearing old saggy jeans and hoodies while having a conversation in which they throw in the n-word between every few words, he would be racist towards those black men.

How would he be ‘racist’ towards them? Can you give an example?

Personally, I would steer clear of them, but chances are their skin color would not even register. If they are throwing around uncouth language, and dressed in extreme lower-end type clothing, they are absolutely not the type of people I wish to associate with. Doesn’t matter if their skin is white, black, yellow, or aquamaroon; their behavior is extremely offputting.

Flag Post
but I’d consider it the same sort of racism, just directed at individuals instead of an entire group of people.

If it is directed against an individual, it is not racism. The very word racism means against the race -against a group, not an individual. It is not racism to hold disdain for one white person but chat all day with another. The first cannot claim it is racism, as you are not reacting in a similar manner to all members of that race.

True. I guess a better term for this “new racism” is that the individual is being insulted with racial stereotypes. So a term would maybe be Racial Stereotyping?

Flag Post

may i just tangentially point out that those kinds of people now discussed don’t exist in the Netherlands?

no-one to be frightened of.

Flag Post
Originally posted by fma1:

New racism is something that is spreading through society. A new racist only acts racist to another person if that person follows the stereotypes of thier race.

For example, if a new racist works in an office alongside a black man in a business suit, he will treat that black man as an equal. However, if that new racist sees a black man on the street dealing drugs and wearing gang attire, he will be racist towards that black man.

I would like to know peoples’ opinions on “new racism”.

So the “new” racism is discriminating against “black” drug dealing gang members, while inviting “white” drug dealing gang members to high tea at the polo club. Got it.

Do you even see how racist your opening post is? You sir, ARE the “new racist”.