Why do Americans put up with bad politicians?

35 posts

Flag Post

I mean, look at the politicians America already has.

If they aren’t corrupt, they are terribly inept/crazy. There are maybe 5 American politicians that aren’t corrupt or crazy.

I mean, in a TRUE AMERICAN DEMOCRACY, people would just stop voting for these bad people. If their political party continuously put out bad politicians (like both the Republicans and Democrats do), people are supposed to dump them and make new political parties.

Just imagine how much better off America would be if all republican voters stopped voted for corporate puppets and started their own party with the same moral values, but with a greater emphasis on people being more important that corporations. Image if the Democrats dumped their politicians and made a new party that actually did stuff. Imagine if both of these groups passed a ton of laws to crack down on political corruption.

Wouldn’t America be better off?

Things to discuss in this thread:
1. Why do americans put up with bad politicians?
2. Would America be better with new political parties that care about their voters?
3. Why you think this will eventually or never happen.

Things not to discuss:
1. “I agree, thats why I joined the communist party”
2. RONPAULRONPAULRONPAUL

Flag Post

1: they don’t have a choice in their facade democracy they have. and they are kept wilfully ignorant of this by all the propoganda which basically tells them they’re a bad american and therefor a bad person if they question the very system of the USA; especially in a way that considers taking other countries for an example for improvement.

2: sure. but that requires a fundamental change in their democratic system.

3: it’s gonna take a lot to get them out of their cycle. but they’re gonna have to face facts sooner or later.

Flag Post

Many people in the US don’t seem to vote for politicians, parties or programs. They vote for ideologies. If a Wookie was running for the office they would still vote Republican/Democrat, and only something out of those two. I’m sure some Americans don’t even know that there are other parties.

Not saying that it is any different in other countries. But in the US it always strikes me as very obvious with those two parties and the spectacular events.

Oh! Nearly forgot.
RONPAULRONPAULRONPAUL
Blessed be thou, oh saviour of the (Western) World.

Flag Post

If people weren’t ignorant there would be no problem.

Why don’t you want us to not discuss

RONPAULRONPAULRONPAUL
?
Seems pretty relevant to me.

Flag Post

America is still pretty high in the ‘crap politician’ scale for the ‘western world’ (based on what I’ve seen, anyway), but if it makes you feel any better every country on the planet has bad ones. Or rather, ones we consider ‘bad’.

Must say though… in fairness to the politicians, a lot aren’t actually bad. Some people are just too unrealistic in their expectations. A politician could give everyone a free Maserati and there’d still be an angry Twitter campaign made by people who wanted a Ferrari.

1. Lack of a better alternative, usually.
2. Yes. Though, the current ones already care as much as a political party ever will.
3. It’s about as likely as me becoming the first self-propelled human spacecraft thanks to a bout of explosive flatulence.

Flag Post

1. The thing of it is, people generally like their own representative (the Senators from their state and their House Rep.) and generally dislike the institution of Congress as a whole. So basically, people will continue to vote for people they like, while disliking people they have no control over the vote for. It’s a vicious cycle that with our current system will never be resolved.

2 and 3. We have a plethora of third-parties. In a winner-take-all system, a third party will never rise. I would love proportional representation in the House, but it will take a helluva lot of effort to make that happen.

Flag Post

2 and 3. We have a plethora of third-parties. In a winner-take-all system, a third party will never rise. I would love proportional representation in the House, but it will take a helluva lot of effort to make that happen.

This. Our voting system sucks balls.

Flag Post

Why do americans put up with bad politicians?

It’s not that all politicians are relatively bad. It’s that people that would become good politicians take up more suitable, economical (for example) jobs instead. By nature, politicians need to be rich, or popular. A nobody won’t rise. You have to choose between the popular, rich ones, and that creates a lot of restrictions.

Would America be better with new political parties that care about their voters?

It would certainly increase the currently limited scale it has.

Why you think this will eventually or never happen.

It’s hard to get out of something once you’re in it.

“I agree, thats why I joined the communist party”

For the motherland!

RONPAULRONPAULRONPAUL

THIRDPARTYTHIRDPARTYTHIRDPARTY

Flag Post
Originally posted by MoonlaughMaster:

first, you need to get rid of the electoral college so the voting is actually in the hands of the people. because the state-vote going entirely one way is also winner take all. allt he states held referendums on it, and about 65% of Republicans and 80% of Democrats voted in favor of abolishing the Electoral College.

however, the Governator of California veto’d it. twice. since California is pretty big, you need a non-retarded Austrian celebrity for a governor to not veto it, and it may just happen.

that would be step 1.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MoonlaughMaster:

Yes it does. Maybe we should go to the popular vote instead of electoral.

But anyway, for the people who even care enough to vote, it usually comes down to the lesser of two evils. You typically can’t get politicians that are totally honest, and even the ones who do try to push change are often cock-blocked by the repubs and dems fighting.

Flag Post

Yeah, the electoral college and stuff is retarded because now (most) people are smart enough to vote themselves. Also, the current state of the government is tempting me to defect to Canada, land of awesomeness.

Flag Post

I think that there are a lot of bad politicians, but there are also a lot of good politicians that appear to be “crazy” because that is how people who don’t like them portray them. America gets a bad wrap for two reasons. 1) there is a bigger spotlight on those politics. 2) our culture is a lot more hostile towards politicians we don’t agree with.

Flag Post

We don’t really choose to put up with them… were kinda forced.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bjjdude:

We don’t really choose to put up with them… were kinda forced.

By who?

Flag Post

We don’t have a choice. America could be better if almost all poiticians were not worried about their own selfish gains which I’ve seen many times. It’s not about the people it’s about money and power. This country is suppose to be about choices but they keep getting taken away. Unless greed is stricken from the goverenment and states nothing will change. Also corporations seem to have more power than our goverenment.

Flag Post

I’m not American so I can’t really say, but atleast I feel better knowing that it’s not only my country dealing with crappy politicians and political dissatisfaction.

Flag Post

A simple answer to the OP:

The avarage American is not well informed about politics.
If the American people were better informed, then they would not put up with bad polititians.

Flag Post
Originally posted by fma1:

A simple answer to the OP:

The avarage American is not well informed about politics.
If the American people were better informed, then they would not put up with bad polititians.

And on the flip side of that, it is in the interests of preserving the current system to keep the populace largely ignorant of the situation and their options.

Flag Post

Our system is broken. Politicians basically, sorta do their job right and thats about it. It’s hard to get anything done because everybody is so misinformed, lied to, or bought to make decisions.
One example that angers me is a new bill concerning highway constuction and public school funding. Public schools? give them money! roads? roads are good too! So everyone wants this thing to pass and make our country a better place. In the fine print however, little things are added like roll-your-own tobacco machines in tobacco shops must pay an exorbitant “licensing fee” to allow customers to use them to make their own cigarettes. This is where they plan on getting the money for the schools, but by doing that it puts some of these shops out of business and loses tax dollars elsewhere… nothing is simple in American politics and it never will be

Flag Post

America has been polarized by the smoke a mirrors of “social issues”. As long as the media pulls at our heartstrings, flicks at our moral compasses, and can fit the masses into one of two easily manipulated and categorized envelopes… we are going to remain oblivious to real political issues.

Flag Post

Partially the above partially because any open democracy things they have bad leaders. It’s simply because it’s easy to place blame on your countries leaders if there is freedom of speech. When you walk around in most democratic leaders somewhere away from the elections most people will say that they believe the current leaders are bad. As far as I can remember around where I live we have always had “bad leaders”. Most people will only believe that they have good leaders if they are their own leaders or personally know their leaders. And with free media we give them a voice(note this isn’t a rant against free media but rather against the tendency of people to blame everything on obama/bush/their leader).

Flag Post

This isn’t a dispute, but why not rant against the “free media”? It’s the same agency underhandedly employing lobbyists to sway politicians against substantial public interests. American corporations run the country, not politicians.

Flag Post

They probably aren’t aware that there are procedures that can be followed to kick anyone out of office that governs.

Flag Post

They put up with these mindbogglinly appalling politicians because when they go to vote they only have the following options: option A or option B option A. Whomever you vote in, they will both follow the corporotocracy, the plutocracy, and the bureaucrats in Wall Street. Americans have no choice in the matter.

Flag Post

We do get some good politicians who run in the primaries. The problem is the other party tries to ruin them and their family’s lives with any kind of dirt they can dig up. I have seen many politicians destroyed by the opposing, and sometimes their own party, just to keep them out of the running. They do a wonderful job at it. Let me give you an example. Sarah Palin. Can you actually tell me why she is considered horrible by the democrats? No? It is because there was a smear campaign launched against her. She has not done anything to give her that bad persona, yet she is looked down on and ridiculed by all who are not republican. It’s not just the democrats either, the republicans have done a few of these smears themselves.