What would you do if you heard a nuke alert page 2

54 posts

Flag Post

Sit and watch the news.

The only countries which might nuke mine probably have guidance computers about as advanced than my old Nokia 5110 and only half as reliable, so even if they aimed it at my house it’d likely as not be heading for Brazil.

And even if it was going to hit my country, I currently live in a place with less strategic importance than most of the areas around it, so staying put would be my best option.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ArgIax:

The person was talking about nukes. Tzar Bomba was a hydrogen bomb.
Hydrogen bombs have a larger impact radius, whereas the destruction of an atomic bomb is largely influenced by weather conditions since it’s not the initial impact that causes havoc, but the fallout (radioactive dirt and dust). This fallout is extremely detrimental to crop growth and general health of the affected population. Also, when used in large quantities, either hydrogen bombs or ‘nukes’ may cause what is called a “nuclear winter”, in other words, the dust and dirt that is blasted into the air blocks off the sunlight for years or even decades, efficiently destroying all forms of life that require sunlight.

Hydrogen bombs are considered a subset of nuclear weapons. Or is that what you were saying? Anyway, what kind of direct impact on humans would the fallout have from a small/large nuclear weapon?

Flag Post

might as well throw in my opinion, Well first i would probably grab a tank of gas and food, then get in a car (with 4WD)
and attempt to drive away off of the roads, (due to the fact that roads would probably be overran) Then i could probably use the radio to get around where its headed, and head away from there, overall i would try to get to the best survival chance

Flag Post
If you didn’t know modern nuclear weapons aren’t gigantic, it’s okay. No need to play the ‘yeah duh’, ’that’s a different topic’, and ‘so lets stay on topic’ cards.

you’re talking about tactical nukes. i know tactical nukes are employed sometimes. this debate is not about tactical nukes. no-one is going to sound a nuke alert over tactical nukes. they’d sound an air-raid or siege alert.

clearly what’s implied here is strategic nukes. what the American government was debating when they were debating nuking Iran was a strategic nuke, not a tactical nuke.

there’s no telling how big the total destruction radius of those can be.

The person was talking about nukes. Tzar Bomba was a hydrogen bomb.

hydrogen bombs are nuclear bombs; or thermonuclear bombs to be precise.

Flag Post

Simply evacuate the area ASAP
or just enter a underground bunker, if it protects against gamma rays

Flag Post

I could use a change of scenery.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:
Originally posted by bjjdude:

Depends on where it would hit and the size of it, really.

Well you wouldn’t know what it was, if you heard it that just means that one is coming,

Well let’s see, a “regular” atom bomb would wipe out 4 square miles, and then there’s the fallout, there are also bigger bombs like hydrogen bombs that would, more or less, destroy the entire country.

I’d assume that it’s big enough and close enough to set off the alarm, so I’d either do nothing, or go and find someplace underground to hide, because there isn’t much escaping it if it’s able to wipe out a large enough area.

How many H-bombs do you think it would take to destroy the whole country?

Flag Post

Change into my tights at the nearest phone booth and stop the nuke, obviously.

Flag Post
Originally posted by scoopolard:

How many H-bombs do you think it would take to destroy the whole country?

Yeah, we already covered this; I shouldn’t be left alone with a history text book and figure out math.

Though, a large enough H-bomb in the right spot could, possibly, destroy the country, just over a longer time period and it would be more organisational (anarchy, in a sense) than physical, i.e destroying the whole country in that it would level all the buildings and land in it.

Flag Post

There’s really not much to do; trying to outrun the radius of the damaged areas would be nearly impossible:\

Do something super fun I guess

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

Wait, what was the name of the bomb you were talking about again ?

That’s some scary scary shit.

Anyway, I’d order a pizza and see what turned up first.

Flag Post

Chances are if a nuke did turn up here, one or more of the hills would block it. Nobody in their right mind is going to use a nuke of any great power for a city this far out of the way.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Chances are if a nuke did turn up here, one or more of the hills would block it. Nobody in their right mind is going to use a nuke of any great power for a city this far out of the way.

goes to vika’s town Hi!

Flag Post
Originally posted by SilverEvil:
Originally posted by vikaTae:

goes to vika’s town Hi!

I’ll bring the pizza.

Flag Post

I feel a nuke would be much more likely to hit Newcastle than Sunderland, but if it did or if a nuke hit each i feel like i would be in between a rock and a hard place because i live in the north of Sunderland and going north or south would take me further into a population center, going east would take me into the sea, and I’m not a very fast swimmer, and i feel it would take to long to escape the blast radius traveling directly west. I think i might try and mess with the insurance companies by taking out the biggest policy i possibly could on the off chance i somehow survive.

Flag Post

Florida is fucked assuming they are coming from Cuba.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SilverEvil:

goes to vika’s town Hi!

Originally posted by FlabbyWoofWoof:

I’ll bring the pizza.

I’ll warn you both now. Edinburgh’s full of Scots. A half a million people with attitudes similar to mine.

If you come, on your own heads be it :)

This is possibly also why we’re relatively safe from nukes here. No sane nuclear warhead will go within a hundred miles of a Scottish town :)

Flag Post

i would rob a pharmacy and have a hell of a half an hour ohh yeahh jammed son

Flag Post

Who could be stuffed to launch a nuke at Australia, let alone Brisbane, don’t see one coming my way anytime soon.

Flag Post
Originally posted by koopa112:

I would do what the Simpsons do

yup…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Azolf:

I could use a change of scenery.

I like the way you think.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bjjdude:

Well preety much what i said what would you do if you heard it (if yo don’t have them, act like you do) from what i know, the bomb arives arround a half and hour after they go off, so you CAN survive,
This is also assuming you don’t have bomb shelters.

this isnt suposed to be funny but this is what id do
id go next door and flip off my neighbor because he allows his daughter to blast jb music a 3 in the morning

Flag Post
Originally posted by Redfin_802:

Florida is fucked assuming they are coming from Cuba.

i don’t think so. if Cubans are shooting them, i’m pretty sure they won’t target them at something so close-by as Florida. you’d have more to fear from retaliation nukes shot at Cuba.

Flag Post

I think the US has some crazy missile defense system set up to prevent these things, but I guess if they didn’t, I’d just drive north to Pennsylvania. Assuming that they are targeting Washington, and not some crappy suburbs.

Flag Post

I would die