(AX) God is real page 5

176 posts

Flag Post

I do believe what I said. It’s just, I never said I beat up people who disagree with me, or want to murder abortion doctors, or hear voices that tell me to murder people. I’m responding to an axiom thread. A “what if” thread. I believe my responses to those what ifs. However, until God comes down from Heaven and commands mass murder, you really don’t have a lot to worry about. If it eases your mind, the last time God came down from heaven, He was very peaceful, and pacifistic, even to the point of allowing people to murder Him without retaliation.

So, I stand by every comment I said, none of which was an expression of my desire to beat/murder people.

Flag Post

I’m concerned about the fact that you would turn into a mass murderer if God told you so. Yes, the axioms are ridiculous, but nonetheless we can argue about the resulting actions. Yours are downright horrid. No, we don’t dislike you for having a religious belief. No, we don’t dislike you for choosing to follow God’s commands. We dislike seeing someone who would murder his own son and then claim it was God’s will.

Flag Post

Before I anwser, does it being the Abrahamic God make it a difference? If so, what difference is it from the God in Christianity?

Flag Post
Originally posted by DrOctaganapus2:

Before I anwser, does it being the Abrahamic God make it a difference? If so, what difference is it from the God in Christianity?

The God in Christianity is the Abrahamic God. Also in Islam and Judaism.

Flag Post

God isn’t real but since this is a game I’ll go with it.

I don’t do it, Jesus died for my sins, therefore I sin all the hell I want.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

I’m concerned about the fact that you would turn into a mass murderer if God told you so. Yes, the axioms are ridiculous, but nonetheless we can argue about the resulting actions. Yours are downright horrid. No, we don’t dislike you for having a religious belief. No, we don’t dislike you for choosing to follow God’s commands. We dislike seeing someone who would murder his own son and then claim it was God’s will.

Assuming an omnipotent, all knowing, all loving God DID tell you to do something, not just that you CLAIM He did, but He DID tell you to do something that you would consider to be ridiculous, would you do it? Keep in mind this entity has the power to bring people back from the dead.

Originally posted by Mansmany:

This is like intentionally getting into a vehicular accident because your car is equipped with seat belts, while not wearing the seat belt.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:

Assuming an omnipotent, all knowing, all loving God DID tell you to do something, not just that you CLAIM He did, but He DID tell you to do something that you would consider to be ridiculous, would you do it? Keep in mind this entity has the power to bring people back from the dead.

Assuming the bible is true that god would in fact not be all loving. He killed quite a bunch of people in a huge flood because he wasn’t satisfied with how they lived. he also destroyed one of the greatest projects by mankind (Tower of Babel) because he felt hurt in his pride and punished them even further by making communication between them unnecessarily difficult. Oh, and he punished us with mortality because two of us disobeyed some random rule he uttered without even explaining it.
That being is a huge dick according to my book. He could tell me something and then do the exact opposite of what he promised me. Seems perfectly reasonable to me after what I have heard of him.
My opinion.

Originally posted by Mansmany:

This is like intentionally getting into a vehicular accident because your car is equipped with seat belts, while not wearing the seat belt.

Only that, assuming that Jesus died for our sins, everyone would be wearing their seatbelts 24/7, whether they want it or not, in a car that has been proven to protect the passengers ideally.

Flag Post

Lets say ’’God’’ showed himself to me, i would say he could go fuck himself.. To be honest most christians actually destroys the whole religion of the god you speak of, because they are acting like retards, by rejecting anything that questions there belief, they are like small kids, who hold there hands by there ears and sings when they dont want to hear it, you cant question there god and have a mature conversation about it. And if you look at it, there god is actually the evil one, because as far as i know he is trying to keep everyone alive, and imagine if satan wasnt there to balance it? there would be a flood of people, and we would starve to dead before you could say ‘what did he do’’ because we would be way to many people on earth? And if that god really cared he would not let sick people rape small kids, if he can create everything then he sure as helll should be able to stop those people. And they always find a way to compensate for what there god dont prevent, like saying ‘’god works in mysteriously ways’’ and ‘’Everything happens for a reason’’ ? am i the only one who cant she the reason why children should get raped and either get a life full of drugs and alchohol or even suicide? I just think its ridiculous, and i would gladly have a mature discussion if there exists any mature christians. The End

Flag Post
Originally posted by Azolf:MyTie, the new testament IS an amendment to the old testament.

No, not an amendment. The old law was there for a reason. It was to be a law for the Hebrew people to follow, in order to provide a nation and a religion to serve as the foundation to bring Christ into the world. That wasn’t AMENDED. It was fulfilled. There is no need for the Jewish nation, in the religious sense. They existed, as a religion, for that one purpose. Abraham was promised a seed and nation. Jesus was that seed, and the Hebrew people were that nation. It’s completed. Jesus opened a new covenant for all people, with His blood. The old testament is useful, in the fact it provides insight into much of the symbolism of what Christ did, and insight into the way God acts, but the law does not apply to us. We are not Hebrew people, and we are not preparing for the birth of a messiah. He fulfilled that law with His death. He fulfilled that debt incurred under the law (Matthew 5:17-18), not removed it or changed it. It was that law, after all, that gave legitimacy to Jesus’s coming and power. Once fulfilled, we were freed from the law, as taught by Paul (Romans 8:2-3).

So, you see, there was an old covenant, which means “agreement”. That agreement was fulfilled. There is now a new agreement, or a new covenant. There is no amendment of the old. There is no changing of the old. The old one is simply done.

I know you mean well. Amendment, agreement; why argue rhetoric.

You can’t patch old cloth with new cloth. The new cloth will shrink and tear the old cloth.
You can’t put new wine into old wineskins. The wine will ferment, the skins will burst, and both the wine and skins will be lost. -Jesus

Flag Post

If God were real; that would result in Satan being real by extension. And, as one of the two Biblical deities; I’d choose to worship him, since Satan’s the benefactor of humanity and the distributor of knowledge.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

If God were real; that would result in Satan being real by extension. And, as one of the two Biblical deities; I’d choose to worship him, since Satan’s the benefactor of humanity and the distributor of knowledge.

Agreed :)

Flag Post

yes, there the problem. with the axioms, it appears we have to accept also that this God is omnibenevolent…

Flag Post

Assuming an omnipotent, all knowing, all loving God DID tell you to do something, not just that you CLAIM He did, but He DID tell you to do something that you would consider to be ridiculous, would you do it?

Yes, I’m aware the question is asked to myself. But think of the consequences to other people. If we condone this kind of behaviour, it won’t stop people from lying about it. It won’t stop people from thinking they were contacted. And it won’t stop people from pretending they’re messengers from God and making others believe they should murder in his name (oh, wait, that already happened). The only thing this axiom changes is that I now know myself that I’ve been chosen to murder someone. That still does not validate other murders, since I can’t know that about others.

As for being told, I probably wouldn’t be able to do it. I’d discuss it with that particular god and, if possible, with those dear to me (including my son), but I’m still probably not able to.

Flag Post

The axiom of a God being all knowing, and me knowing that the God is all knowing would imply far more about the propensity of knowledge itself that I couldn’t accurately answer that question from this perspective, since the onus and operation of knowledge itself would be changed. As it currently is, the contingency of a given suggestion’s ambivalence is determined by the persuasiveness of the suggester. Considering the same religious text implies that Satan both has similar knowledge of mortal existence, and that God provides further clarification of his knowledge to Satan, especially when they’re making bets about the piety of his most stringent followers, it isn’t unreasonable for even a Christian to expect the voices in their head explain themselves.

Flag Post

Well, this thread certainly demonstrates how different i am than the average user here.

Flag Post

who isn’t?

Flag Post

who isn’t?

The average user.

Seriously, though, I think he’s saying he’s extremely different. Which is correct, in a way, but I’m in no way surprised by many extreme things that are being said any more. And that is sad, in a way.

Flag Post

Well, this thread certainly demonstrates how different i am than the average user here.

Well, Laaaaaaahhh-Deeeeeee-Daaaaaahhh!

Flag Post

who isn’t?

The average user.

Seriously, though, I think he’s saying he’s extremely different. Which is correct, in a way, but I’m in no way surprised by many extreme things that are being said any more. And that is sad, in a way.

It is sad in a way. I’ve never heard someone say “If I knew God were real, I’d worship Satan”. I’m just… on a different… a different kind of person.

Originally posted by Azolf:

Well, Laaaaaaahhh-Deeeeeee-Daaaaaahhh!

You strike me as the kind of person who would cower in real life. If you were here, in front of me now, and I said how different I were than everyone else, you wouldn’t say this in real life, because you wouldn’t want to look like a dick. Somehow, you strike me as an anonymous dick.

Flag Post

You strike me as the kind of person who would cower in real life.

To what, exactly?

If you were here, in front of me now, and I said how different I were than everyone else, you wouldn’t say this in real life, because you wouldn’t want to look like a dick.

I can see how good a judge of character you are.

Somehow, you strike me as an anonymous dick.

Actually, you two are fairly similar, what with both of you lashing out and insulting people when they aren’t very nice to you.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

You strike me as the kind of person who would cower in real life.

To what, exactly?

If you were here, in front of me now, and I said how different I were than everyone else, you wouldn’t say this in real life, because you wouldn’t want to look like a dick.

I can see how good a judge of character you are.

Somehow, you strike me as an anonymous dick.

Actually, you two are fairly similar, what with both of you lashing out and insulting people when they aren’t very nice to you.

I’m consistent in real life. Come to my house. I’ll feed you, and house you, and if you bring up these topics, I’ll tell you exactly what you read here. I’m not a coward. I’ve been too many places, had too much responsibility, and raised enough children not to let them run me.

Flag Post

I’m consistent in real life. Come to my house. I’ll feed you, and house you, and if you bring up these topics, I’ll tell you exactly what you read here. I’m not a coward. I’ve been too many places, had too much responsibility, and raised enough children not to let them run me.

So, someone is now a coward just because they may (or may not, as you’re really just assuming, here) say things differently on the Internet?

And, just as a side, I’m pretty sure Azolf has said something about him either feeding the homeless, or being a charitable soul in some other fashion.

EDIT: Oh, and I don’t know if you know this but I… Don’t really care about your life story that much, and kinda makes me assume more things about you.

Flag Post

Ok. That’s nice, tenco. You’ll find I’m pretty apathetic to your opinion.

Flag Post

Ok. That’s nice, tenco. You’ll find I’m pretty apathetic to your opinion.

Uhh… Okay. So does this mean you’re not going to even acknowledged the existence of this?

So, someone is now a coward just because they may (or may not, as you’re really just assuming, here) say things differently on the Internet?

And, just as a side, I’m pretty sure Azolf has said something about him either feeding the homeless, or being a charitable soul in some other fashion.

Flag Post
It is sad in a way. I’ve never heard someone say “If I knew God were real, I’d worship Satan”. I’m just… on a different… a different kind of person.

i’ve seen lots of people say that. i bet i’d have much more in common with a rebel that chooses his own path against the odds than an infinitely complacent tyrant.