Militia

48 posts

Flag Post

So, what are your guys thoughts on local and state militia? Do you think that local groups should be allowed to come together and form militia independent of any governmental institution? Should the states’ militias (I.E. your state’s national guard) be a part of the federal military, or even banned? Should militia be allowed to be privately operated?

Flag Post

I’m a fan of all volunteer, professional forces. Militias have simply never had the same combat performance as a professional volunteer army- they might have some home turf advantages, but that’s not useful for a country that hasn’t fought a major war on its soil for almost 150 years.

In addition, militias would ultimately just be composed of the most anti-government and radical people in the area. Not exactly the people I’d want to give guns and training to.

Flag Post

Technically, forming a militia is a right given by the Bill of Rights.

The Second Amendment:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Flag Post

Fma, I don’t think that amendment states you can form a militia as a right. It merely states you can bear arms. Nevertheless, I don’t mind regulated militia, or private armies, since if they’d do it in secret they’d be much more dangerous.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

Fma, I don’t think that amendment states you can form a militia as a right. It merely states you can bear arms. Nevertheless, I don’t mind regulated militia, or private armies, since if they’d do it in secret they’d be much more dangerous.

It states that you can bear arms for the purpose of being in a militia.

Flag Post

It doesn’t exactly state that it’s a right (only that bearing arms is), but if it is legally claimed to mean that, I don’t mind. I’m not an expert on American law. I would support it to state it any way, better than illegal armies being formed all over the place.

Flag Post

What better way to say this land is mine, than with a land mine. Those guys are mislead and crazy.

Flag Post

I think private armies should be Formed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:

So, what are your guys thoughts on local and state militia? Do you think that local groups should be allowed to come together and form militia independent of any governmental institution? Should the states’ militias (I.E. your state’s national guard) be a part of the federal military, or even banned? Should militia be allowed to be privately operated?

First, the United States is not supposed to have a standing army except in time of war and are not allowed to collect taxes to support one. The militia is different from the national guard. You will find that most states not only have a national guard but also a militia as two different entities. You might also be surprised to find the feds also have a militia separate from the armed forces we have. Not only that but all males between 18 and 35 are automatic members. Separate private militias are legal and there are many around our country.

Flag Post

jhco, are you considering reservists as militia? I don’t know where in the US Constitution it says we’re not supposed to have a standing military except during war, but I suppose that’s one interpretation of the 6th Amendment you could use. The draft isn’t part of the reserves, by the way, as technically it’s considered a lottery.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

First, the United States is not supposed to have a standing army except in time of war and are not allowed to collect taxes to support one. The militia is different from the national guard. You will find that most states not only have a national guard but also a militia as two different entities. You might also be surprised to find the feds also have a militia separate from the armed forces we have. Not only that but all males between 18 and 35 are automatic members. Separate private militias are legal and there are many around our country.

jhco, are you considering reservists as militia? I don’t know where in the US Constitution it says we’re not supposed to have a standing military except during war, but I suppose that’s one interpretation of the 6th Amendment you could use. The draft isn’t part of the reserves, by the way, as technically it’s considered a lottery.

America has been at war for 210 years. So America always has a militia. America’s foreign policy is too appalling to not be at war, and it is an effective manner for building up their much loved jingoism.

Fuck I’m glad I’m non-American. Normally I do not see patriotism as a meaningful devotion, but being non-American is wonderful. Next year I’ll be 18 and I won’t have to sign up for the draft, American males of the internet. That’s right, I’ll be partying at my 18th and will also be partying 3 months later whilst you’ll be too busy being in the draft. Non-America, fuck yeah.

Flag Post

^lol. nice point, fellow non-American.

@OP
only if it’s public and community based. not if it’s viligantic.

Flag Post
That’s right, I’ll be partying at my 18th and will also be partying 3 months later whilst you’ll be too busy being in the draft. Non-America, fuck yeah.

I’m not sure if you’re trolling or mentally handicapped. We haven’t had to use the draft since Vietnam, and signing up for the draft takes less than 5 minutes. I don’t even know what to tell you.

America has been at war for 210 years.

That’s not continuous, and many of those “wars” were either short stints where we flexed our muscles, or international coalitions that we were just involved in. Only about half were actual wars. They also got the dates wrong on a couple (Mexican American War was 2 years, not 12.)

That said, let’s look at some other countries military history.
UK
1707 – Scotland and England become Kingdom of Great Britain
At war for most of their 305 years (if you feel like adding it up.)
Germany, France, Russia are there if you feel like reading those, as well. I don’t feel like getting into it over a troll post, but yeah.

Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

^lol. nice point, fellow non-American.

@OP
only if it’s public and community based. not if it’s viligantic.

Fair enough.

Flag Post

As an aside, Scotland is still seeking independence from that strange land to the south. There’s no formal war on, but there is still one heck of a lot of resentment towards the English.

Flag Post

it was overstated, yes. but most of those in your European military history are involvements in America’s wars. the amount of wars declared over the passed decades by any one European country really small compared to the US. and that doesn’t even include paramilitary action, which America uses quite a lot, while Europe only ever blue-helmets.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 1132:

In addition, militias would ultimately just be composed of the most anti-government and radical people in the area. Not exactly the people I’d want to give guns and training to.

Playing devil’s advocate here, even if these militias do declare war against the union, who are they realistically going to attack? The state next door. Whose anti-government and radical people will attack right back, with everything they have.

The military can step in once the radicals have blown each other to bits. There isn’t really a downside.

Flag Post

Interesting scenario Vika. I think they will band together to attack Washington DC. the Army will come down on the side of the people. Their oath when they sign up is to protect America from tyranny, foreign and domestic. Domestic being the key word. Of course this is just a scenario and I don’t know if the militias will band together or go it alone…a mistake in my opinion.

I wonder if militias were originally to protect the states from each other. This would be interesting to see the history on this. Guess I will go do some research.

Flag Post

Ah, this was interesting. A state militia is under the sole authority of the state they are in. this indicates they are for protection of that particular state. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_defense_force

Another interesting link that talks about the federal militia, organized and unorganized. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_%28United_States%29

This article dicusses the militia in more detail I think and it is easier to read. http://www.lawandliberty.org/what_mil.htm

Some Question and Answers about the militia.
http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/militia.qa.html

Interesting reading that should be done by everyone on this thread. I am not a fan of Wikipedia, but they seem pretty accurate.

Flag Post

I’m not sure if you’re trolling or mentally handicapped. We haven’t had to use the draft since Vietnam, and signing up for the draft takes less than 5 minutes. I don’t even know what to tell you.

Probably trolling. He doesn’t have an inside perspective to America, and maybe doesn’t understand that it’s an all volunteer force—it’s actually hard to get into the U.S. armed forces these days (because of the economy) and many people consider it an honor.

Anyway, about the original topic, when you say militia, would this be something like The Black Panthers? Just thinking of one example that kind of sprang to mind.

Flag Post

Of course this is just a scenario and I don’t know if the militias will band together or go it alone…a mistake in my opinion.

No way to predict. I know you’re a little bit of an anarchist, but the people in the military were trained to follow orders, you know….so it could go either way.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

Of course this is just a scenario and I don’t know if the militias will band together or go it alone…a mistake in my opinion.

No way to predict. I know you’re a little bit of an anarchist, but the people in the military were trained to follow orders, you know….so it could go either way.

Yes it could, but most of the soldiers I meet don’t like our current commander and chief. I’m not really an anarchist, although I do believe the feds should be seen and not heard. I am more of a states rights kinda guy.

The black panthers wouldn’t really be a militia, as would the KKK be one. These are not concerned with the welfare of the country.Although, I could be wrong and they may be considered a militia group.

Flag Post

I think that not only should they be ALLOWED to form a militia, but that they SHOULD form militias.

Flag Post
Originally posted by unleashthemind:

I think that not only should they be ALLOWED to form a militia, but that they SHOULD form militias.

One word. ‘’Why?’’

Flag Post

The black panthers wouldn’t really be a militia, as would the KKK be one. These are not concerned with the welfare of the country.Although, I could be wrong and they may be considered a militia group.

I think you would have to call both militias as they were both organised and had a militant purpose.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheLoneLucas:
Originally posted by unleashthemind:

One word. ‘’Why?’’

This is how we set up our country. We Americans don’t like tyrannies and our founding fathers took measures to protect the country, militias being just one measure.