Terrorism and the TSA page 4

172 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by FlabbyWoofWoof:

But to address you point, I’m going to have to tamper Jimmy’s bags without his knowledge.

Unless you are trying to say that we should be free to ship whatever dangerous materials we like, in passenger aircraft without the knowledge or care of anyone else, I fail to see your point.

Or are you also saying if we wish to take a gun with us on-board the plane for some mid-flight ‘hijinks’ we should be allowed to?

Flag Post

Vika, you have completely misunderstood what I have said…and assumed things that I was never condoning. I don’t know how you got so far from what I was actually saying. Could of been my terrible wording.

But basically…I was just having a bit of fun with Karma and yours tsa ‘solutions’…I understand that Karma was joking, but you obviously not and so have thought my replies were serious. Which I find strange considering I mention them as being comical several times.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:
Originally posted by FlabbyWoofWoof:

But to address you point, I’m going to have to tamper Jimmy’s bags without his knowledge.

Unless you are trying to say that we should be free to ship whatever dangerous materials we like, in passenger aircraft without the knowledge or care of anyone else, I fail to see your point.

Or are you also saying if we wish to take a gun with us on-board the plane for some mid-flight ‘hijinks’ we should be allowed to?

No..no…no…& NOoooo.

vika, the quote ya have there is totally contextual of his statement of: “I could see these machines being used for ‘other’ purposes…such as eliminating unwanted aquaintances…

Meaning:
Helping him pack his bags affords FlabbyWW the opportunity to place items that would indeed explode and thereby be rid of Jimmy…..for whatever reason FlabbyWW thinks Jimmy should test the theory of an “afterlife”. LOL

I found what FWW said to be ass funny as a kitten w/ a bell tied to its tail.

BUT, I do like where ya’re going w/ future & further techno. that could do scans much like Dr. (Star Trek’s) McCoy’s does…..so that a host of “ills” could ALSO be detected….for far more ppl than would be for terrorism. With tiny nanodes IN the body that “report” upon being scanned….why not? It’s coming….just a matter of time,,,,AND, time is money. I wish the “govt. faucet” could splash some funds that direction.

Flag Post

Epic song.

Flag Post

Yes, sorry Flabby. I’ve seen so many insane points of view on here, that I read yours as a serious argument. It is one I could well imagine Jhco or a few others making, and seriously meaning it. It is funny, when you are not treating it as a serious discussion point :)

BUT, I do like where ya’re going w/ future & further techno. that could do scans much like Dr. (Star Trek’s) McCoy’s does…..so that a host of “ills” could ALSO be detected….for far more ppl than would be for terrorism.

Yea, there are so many ways these devices could be repurposed even within current tech, to do a whole lot of good for the public at large. I can see several just from here. I emailed the TSA a few days back, regarding several specific technologies they have developed and are now using, hoping for further details on their capabilities. No reply as yet. Hopefully there’ll be something to work with on Monday or Tuesday. I doubt I’ll get a reply at the weekend.

As to the nanodes idea, they actually do exist now. There have been two different methods developed to a point of usefulness this year. Both are quite substantial in size however. On the order of 10 -20 milimeters long. I’ll dig out some links a bit later in the morning, when I wake up properly.

Flag Post

Vika, I hope you wrote TSA in an official capacity. You never know what they will think about just a civilian, especially in another country, requesting information on their technology.

I’m not exactly sure what you are implying about me. I know I am conservative, and I know I don’t trust politicians, but I’m not an idiot.

Flag Post

vika, this is from:

“The second stage, which began in 2005, focuses on active nanostructures that change their size, shape, conductivity or other properties during use. New drug-delivery particles could release therapeutic molecules in the body only after they reached their targeted diseased tissues. Electronic components such as transistors and amplifiers with adaptive functions could be reduced to single, complex molecules.”

“Starting around 2010, workers will cultivate expertise with systems of nanostructures, directing large numbers of intricate components to specified ends. One application could involve the guided self-assembly of nanoelectronic components into three-dimensional circuits and whole devices. Medicine could employ such systems to improve the tissue compatibility of implants, or to create scaffolds for tissue regeneration, or perhaps even to build artificial organs.

Scans could be “multi-tasked” to include checking to see if such “implant” are working//succeding.

Here might be the man (I saw on a segment of 60 Minutes) that predicts the future. His take on it is that “computers”//nano’s will, by 2050, will be in the body doing all sorts of health assistance.

“Raymond Kurzweil, noted inventor and futurist, is a man who refuses to accept the inevitability of physical death. He proposes that the Law of Accelerating Returns—the exponential increase in the growth of information technology—will result in a “singularity”, a point where humanity and machines will merge, allowing one to transcend biological mortality: advances in genetics will provide the knowledge to reprogram biology, eliminate disease and stop the aging process; nanotechnology will keep humans healthy from the inside using robotic red blood cells and provide a human-computer interface within the brain; robotics, or artificial intelligence, will make superhuman intelligence possible, including the ability to back up the mind."

Some fascinating stuff. I hope I live long enough to see a lot of it become a reality. Hopefully, if it does….there won’t be much of a need for TSA.

Originally posted by jhco50:

Vika, I hope you wrote TSA in an official capacity. You never know what they will think about just a civilian, especially in another country, requesting information on their technology.

I’m not exactly sure what you are implying about me. I know I am conservative, and I know I don’t trust politicians, but I’m not an idiot.

First: She didn’t IMPLY anything. She specifically said: “I’ve seen so many insane points of view on here, that I read yours as a serious argument. It is one I could well imagine Jhco or a few others making, and seriously meaning it.”

Second: She didn’t say that YOU are an idiot. She did, however, make it clear that she was talking about points of view

Third: She certainly isn’t the first one on this forum to so assess a lot of such POV’s. Nor will she likely be the last.

Fourth: Why should YOU be whining about an incorrect aspersion about YOUR “person” when YOU insult ppl right & left….such as calling ME a “Gay guy”?

Flag Post

Jhco, you really are far too paranoid for your own good. Honestly, they’re not going to care where I’m emailing from. I’ve sent a request for specs on the CastScope system they are starting to roll out, and I have asked if thir machines are DICOM compatible still, (they are manufactured that way), or if they remove that functionality. Also how feasible the situation is, for linking to an external server via either wi-fi or wired access, from a physical usage point of view, as opposed to a legal one.

There was a bit more, but that’s the jist of it. Nothing that is going to ‘compromise national security’ or whatever else you are so shit-scared of. If they don’t respond, I shall contact the manufacturer of the machines, and ask them. Ideally, I’d like to poke around with one next time I’m stateside if the answers come back positive. So chances are that would have to be done with the manufacturer anyway.

Even if it is legally a minefield to do what I’m thinking of doing, if it is at least technologically possible without causing problems for the security staff using the machines, I can certainly develop a proposal, and a technical paper to send to relevant parties. If it is not possible or not feasible without causing problems with security, I will knock the whole idea on the head.

But as with everything else, if you don’t try you don’t know.

I’m familiar with Ray and his work. He has a website which details all manner of attempts to use his own inventions, other people’s inventions and a multitude of transhumanist ideas, for community discussion, and often actual use. I’ve been a frequent flyer there since about mid 2005. You would most certainly find it very interesting.

The examples of health nanobots I was going to link this morning (hah) are nowhere near as advanced as the three links you have posted, and which I am very grateful for, Karma. But their precursors are in existence right now.

Deep Inside the Body, Tiny Mechanical Microscope Diagnoses Disease

Medical robots that get under your skin
This is the most advanced one we have. It is a far cry from a nanobot at half a milimeter in length, but it functions.

Oh and Ray’s technological singularity will hit somewhere between 2040 and 2050, fingers crossed. We are certainly on the curve of accelerating intelligence now. The singularity itself is the point at which the increasing curve is in effect heading straight up. It just relies on each of us doing our part to get things to that stage.

Flag Post

Well, good luck on that then.

You have no idea what our government is capable of anymore. If you new some of the people I know and found out some of the things that go on you would be shit-scared too.

Flag Post

All I can say to that Jhco, is I hope you have shares in a tinfoil hat manufacturing firm.

What this shapeless formless blob you call ‘the government’ as akin to some great evil supervillain, will do is utterly irrelevant to the real world.

Out here, the ‘government’ is composed of many agencies, each composed of many individuals, most of whom are human. They laugh, they joke, they cry, they network with one another and share information.

There’s no big, bad, amorphous blob lurking out there, just people and policies. Some good, some bad, some in-between. Friendly relations between individuals outside of government departments and individuals inside of government departments occur all the time. You never know what you will get until you make contact, true, but most are everyday people. Providing you’re not asking for anything sensitive, and you go about asking in the right manner, most people are only too willing to give what help they can.

Flag Post

One of my sources retired from a part of the military I won’t mention. He told me if you can think it up, they already have it. He was one of the experimenters on the .50 cal sniper rifle and did a lot of testing on other weapons. He told me they have a disk that when broadcast over an amplifier can boil your blood. They have had it for years but don’t use it. Where do you think the B1 and B2 bombers come from? Someone thought them up them up.

Do you remember Ruby Ridge, Waco, and a few other instances where our government killed people unnecessarily? Flexing their muscles? Did you know you can disappear off the street and never be heard from again? IF you think all of this is just BS, hold on to your pants because it will become worse in the near future. Already we have cameras watching us on the streets and face recognition is on the horizon. Do you think this site and your email isn’t analyzed every time you send or say something on the net? Oh yeah. Believe me when I tell you our government is capable of anything. Want to share my tin foil?

Flag Post

You have no idea what our government is capable of anymore. If you new some of the people I know and found out some of the things that go on you would be shit-scared too.

You know this is comical, right? I actually LOL’d.

Yes, there’s some government corruption, but good Lord, man….

Do you remember Ruby Ridge, Waco, and a few other instances where our government killed people unnecessarily?

The people at Ruby Ridge needed to be sanctioned. If you actually side with militant white supremicists who refused to stand down and took on federal agents, that speaks volumes.

Flag Post

Ok, obviously you are more trusting than I am. Want to meet this guy?

You need to do a little research on Ruby Ridge before you cast judgement on them.

Flag Post

You need to do a little research on Ruby Ridge before you cast judgement on them.

Because you certainly shouldn’t share the information that other people seem to not know, and you especially shouldn’t give a link to find that information, since that would just be silly, right?

Flag Post

I have given links before, but I guess that was another thread. So here you are.

http://reason.com/archives/1993/10/01/ambush-at-ruby-ridge/singlepage

http://sandpointbonnercounty.kxly.com/news/82928-ruby-ridge-survivor-shares-her-story

Flag Post

OK, about Ruby Ridge, the whole thing appears to be a clusterfuck, instigated mainly by a severely paranoid family. Just to be clear, do you align yourself with these folk? You can read the citations, or you can rent the movie, but it just seems that this guy did not need to hole himself and his family up at a ridge and write paranoid letters to different influentual figures, either real or imagined, warning of an incoming apocalypse. These people were likely in serious need of psychological help.

Flag Post

One of my sources retired from a part of the military I won’t mention. He told me if you can think it up, they already have it.

That’s a gross exaggeration.

He told me they have a disk that when broadcast over an amplifier can boil your blood. They have had it for years but don’t use it.

You are talking about microwave beam weaponry.The disk is the amplifier and focussing array. They don’t use it because it consumes one hell of a lot of power, far more than we can practically generate out in the field.

Microwave weapons are common knowledge.

Where do you think the B1 and B2 bombers come from? Someone thought them up them up.

no shit sherlock. All inventions come about that way.

Ruby Ridge Tenco and Twilight have handled quite nicely.

Already we have cameras watching us on the streets and face recognition is on the horizon.

No, face recognition technology is already here, and has been for some time. It is getting better.

Do you think this site and your email isn’t analyzed every time you send or say something on the net?

This site is not ‘analysed every time someone posts something’. Jesus christ, paranoid to the max.

Email communication is monitored, yes, but that’s nothing new. There are umpteen ways around such methods if you can be bothered. Sendmail spoofing for example, will create an email that is impossible to backtrace to point of origin.

Oh yeah. Believe me when I tell you our government is capable of anything. Want to share my tin foil?

No, I don’t wish to share your tin foil. I’ve created one or two of these ‘boogeyman’ uses of technology myself, and they’re nowhere near the karma level of ‘evil overlord’ that you think they are.

The ‘government’ also is not capable of half the things you honestly believe they are.

Flag Post

@Vikatae

Speaking from a military standpoint, which is exactly how this subject should be approached, you will find the military has many weapons we have never heard of. The military operates under a cloak of secrecy for many reasons and the fact that is, we are ignorant of what the military does have.

Flag Post

Not at all. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is a branch of the military tasked with developing the more esoteric weapons concept. By studying DARPA program briefs you can gain a good understanding of what is currently possible and what is currently not possible.

As a general rule, if they are throwing money at you to try and develop something, it is a safe bet they do not have that technology as is.

Flag Post

I myself hold a secret clearance. I have worked in the military (DOD) arena through private contractors, who do much of the hands on work including research and development. Many of my acquaintances also work in these areas. We are not free to divulge information about the work we do. Much of the work our military does is not released to the public for study. It is secret and much of it is top secret. You may have seen some information on DARPA, but I can promise you, you have only been able to access a small amount of information compared to what is involved in the project. I agree that large amounts of money is thrown at some of these projects, but not just for initial development. Much of the money goes for ongoing experimentation and upgrading of the initial project.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ColtArmy:

I agree that large amounts of money is thrown at some of these projects, but not just for initial development. Much of the money goes for ongoing experimentation and upgrading of the initial project.

So far you’re not saying anything not stunningly obvious.

Flag Post

No, I am not. What I am trying to convey is that our military has many projects the public isn’t privy to. In the example given above, concerning our two special bombers, the B1 and B2. These were top secret projects. Only those with the need to know were allowed to work on these projects. They, of course, were not privy to more information than what their particular part of the project needed. This is part of the protection of the project. Your access to information of the DARPA initiative was a summary. It was enough information to give you a basic idea of what DARPA was about, without giving you any details of the inner-workings of this initiative. You were satisfied with the information you received and yet the project is still enveloped in secrecy. You were told what they wanted you to know, yet you really haven’t been given the complete scope of the capabilities of DARPA. What do they really do?

Flag Post

I accept that there are top secret projects. What I do not accept is that they are somehow magically much more advanced than every other technology we have. I have a good idea of the technological level of our species; what we currently can and cannot do. To claim that there is a massive spike in capability under some ‘top secret’ banner is ludicrous. Bleed off into other fields of study is inevitable.

Flag Post

You can accept the fact we have many projects the public cannot accept or you can bury your head. Reality is what you make of it. I can only hint to you of what is possible without saying too much. Do with it what you want.

Flag Post

Oh I accept we have many projects the general public are just not ready for. It is just ludicrous in the extreme to make out our military tech is so far ahead of everything else. That’s not the way progress works. You cannot accelerate one field in isolation and expect to develop meaningful results.