Terrorism and the TSA page 7

172 posts

Flag Post
I don’t think that speding the rest of the day here would be all that stress relieving.

Actually Tenco, it is when I get to have a decent conversation with someone.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

LOL! You are really stretching there. I would doubt you could get close to my granddaughter without her mom or dad getting in the way. Mt mother will be 90 April 15 (yes that is a really bad day for a birthday) and doesn’t carry her husbands ashes around with her…he was buried. She doesn’t fly anymore for a couple of reasons, one being every time she went through security they always pulled her aside and fondled her. Every time. She is also in ill health and doesn’t get around much anyway.

Well, at this point, I would say the best solution for you would be to not fly, since you hate the way things are done. Want to go somewhere? Drive there or take the train.

Me personally, I enjoy flying. I’ve traveled a lot and don’t want to stop anytime soon. Myself, my husband, my step-daughter, and my daughter have had only good experiences flying in the domestic U.S. (with the one exception of a nine hour layover from U.S. Airways, which is unrelated to security anyway).

We just flew out of Denver into Sacramento, in fact, last month, and had no problems at all with security from either end. Oh, and we’re all white U.S. citizens (not muslim or muslim-looking).

Flag Post
You are aware that your situation with your granddaughter is nto going to be the same with everybody, right? You’re also aware your situation with your father’s ashes is also not going to be the same for everybody?

Of course I am aware of that Vika. and you really don’t have to stick up for Karma. He made a wild statement and I enjoyed answering it. BTW, I haven’t had a chance to ask you where you have been? I kinda missed you old girl.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

LOL! You are really stretching there. I would doubt you could get close to my granddaughter without her mom or dad getting in the way. Mt mother will be 90 April 15 (yes that is a really bad day for a birthday) and doesn’t carry her husbands ashes around with her…he was buried. She doesn’t fly anymore for a couple of reasons, one being every time she went through security they always pulled her aside and fondled her. Every time. She is also in ill health and doesn’t get around much anyway.

Well, at this point, I would say the best solution for you would be to not fly, since you hate the way things are done. Want to go somewhere? Drive there or take the train.

Me personally, I enjoy flying. I’ve traveled a lot and don’t want to stop anytime soon. Myself, my husband, my step-daughter, and my daughter have had only good experiences flying in the domestic U.S. (with the one exception of a nine hour layover from U.S. Airways, which is unrelated to security anyway).

We just flew out of Denver into Sacramento, in fact, last month, and had no problems at all with security from either end. Oh, and we’re all white U.S. citizens (not muslim or muslim-looking).

I usually do drive Twilight. the only reason we took the plane this time was to seem my mother. She is in very bad health and I don’t think she will be around much longer. In fact, she went into the hospital again the day before we got there. I would imagine the next trip I take will be driving down to pay my respects. This plane ride is the first time I have flown since I was in the Air Force.

Actually, there were signs in Denver saying they superimposed a standard representation over the scan.

Flag Post

Actually, there were signs in Denver saying they superimposed a standard representation over the scan.

What does that mean?

Our flight out of Denver wasn’t bad. We just got ID’d, stamped, and on our way.

Flag Post

The East Asian countries seem to know what they’re doing. I had no trouble getting through security / customs in Seoul, the whole process was very quick. They didn’t force me to take off my belt, and the only thing they confiscated was a straight razor I’d forgot to put in checked baggage. A friend of mine who went to Shanghai said the same thing for China, and another friend had similar experiences in Japan. Then I get to Vancouver and it all falls apart. Idiotic customs agents who are scrupulously checking baby formula for what, nitro? holding back the line for over an hour, rechecking baggage that the machines apparently didn’t catch the first time. Had to take off my belt and my shoes…and I’m told it’s even worse in the US.

Flag Post

To be fair though Jantonaitis, I don’t think the level of anti-Korea, anti-China sentiment across the world is anywhere near the anti-America level. America was specifically targeted by terrorists and still is threatened…but then again, I don’t know just how bad the customs checks are in America, they sound fairly intrusive.

Flag Post

I’ve flown a couple times in America in the last year and while I did take out my laptop and take off my shoes, we all went right on through. They just scanned our stuff, I got my shoes on again, got my stuff together, and walked to the terminal. I don’t see what the big deal is.

Flag Post
Originally posted by FlabbyWoofWoof:

To be fair though Jantonaitis, I don’t think the level of anti-Korea, anti-China sentiment across the world is anywhere near the anti-America level. America was specifically targeted by terrorists and still is threatened…but then again, I don’t know just how bad the customs checks are in America, they sound fairly intrusive.

Doesn’t need to be across the world. Also doesn’t have to have anything to do with 9/11. I’d wager there’s at least as good a chance of getting attacked by N. Korea flying through Seoul than getting attacked by islamic terrorists in the US.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:
Originally posted by FlabbyWoofWoof:

Doesn’t need to be across the world. Also doesn’t have to have anything to do with 9/11. I’d wager there’s at least as good a chance of getting attacked by N. Korea flying through Seoul than getting attacked by islamic terrorists in the US.

The only reference I can find of a North Korean terrorist attack committed against South Korea is the Korean Air Flight 858 of 1987.
While there is definetely huge tension between the countries, ‘terrrorist’ acts aren’t happening as a result.
Terrorist threats against Americans (in relation to the rest of the Western world) are more common and more likely to be carried out.

Flag Post

No, I left them to worry about it. To be honest, I’m not overly worried about the plane I’m on blowing up.

Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

Ahhhh, I see. So in order to not violate the rights of the Muslims, we violate everyone else’s rights and let the Muslims go with out checks. Really? Violating peoples civil rights, except for the Muslim is not an answer. Yes, that is right, regular old Americans have civil rights too.

Did I say that? NO?
Is that the only way YOU are able to see such things? Obviously YES.
At least from the many adventures into inept, blind cognitive-mining ya’ve been doing on this forum.

BUT, I’m gonna bet a small portion of the farm and say: A three year old probably would very willingly carry on board a plane a very cute teddy bear given to her by a “nice woman”.

AND, granny? Hell, who knows what motivates old ppl? Someone could swtich out her husband’s ashes and put a bomb in the urn. Are ppl sooooo fucking stoooopid as to not know a few basic “tricks” on how to NOT BE OBVIOUS?

What is it w/ YOU and YOUR anecdotal crap-0-inductive-logic? Such very limited exsperiences of//with YOUR mother & grandchild & their effect on terroism certainly has NO MERIT in proving the larger issue. This “thinking” certainly palls in the face of MY use of deductive logic in answering YOUR inductive: “We are not at war with grannies and as far as I know, my 3 year old granddaughter can’t even spell terrorist.”

No, I left them to worry about it. To be honest, I’m not overly worried about the plane I’m on blowing up.

LOL! You are really stretching there. I would doubt you could get close to my granddaughter without her mom or dad getting in the way. Mt mother will be 90 April 15 (-yes that is a really bad day for a birthday-) and doesn’t carry her husbands ashes around with her…he was buried. She doesn’t fly anymore for a couple of reasons, one being every time she went through security they always pulled her aside and fondled her. Every time. She is also in ill health and doesn’t get around much anyway.

I usually do drive Twilight. the only reason we took the plane this time was to seem my mother. She is in very bad health and I don’t think she will be around much longer. In fact, she went into the hospital again the day before we got there. I would imagine the next trip I take will be driving down to pay my respects. This plane ride is {{will be?}} the first time I have flown since I was in the Air Force.

Tell us, how do YOU rectify those two ideas about YOUR flying? Are YOUR trips (since those in the Air Force) so small in distance as to preclude the “need” for flying?

Originally posted by tenco1:

Because, as we all know, you and everyone you know is going to be and act exactly the same.

Originally posted by vikaTae: You are aware that your situation with your granddaughter is nto going to be the same with everybody, right? You’re also aware your situation with your father’s ashes is also not going to be the same for everybody?

Of course I am aware of that Vika. and you really don’t have to stick up for Karma. He made a wild statement and I enjoyed answering it.

Are YOU not aware of just how goofy that is? Merely because she & tenco have SIMILAR rebuts as mine to YOUR “wild statements” certainly DOES NOT mean they are “sticking up” for me. What is “wrong” w/ YOU that YOU have this pathetic “need” to very often do this? Ya do know it only serves to reinforce our interest in buying stock in Renolds?

The simple fact is that these searches comes down to the equality factor of the CONSTITUTION. Yes, of course, the extreeeeeeme unlikeliness that a large portion of such Americans, etc. does make these searches seem ridiculous….esp. if there is some real “hassels” involved. If we were able to TOTALLY, 100% RULE OUT everyone that didn’t fit a particular “profile”…..then okay, I’m good w/ that.

BUT, since that can’t be done….AND, just WHATPROFILE” is going to be ACCURATELY used,,,,one that doesn’t end up violating the CONSTITUTIONAL CIVIL RIGHTS of at some ppl who are close to said profile? How does one TOTALLY eliminate this “discriminatiory factor”?

Flag Post

EVeryone would scream" AAAAAAAHHHHH, TERRORISTS!" Then the people that found the bomb would go on tv shows and make money and quit their job.

Flag Post

What does that mean?

Our flight out of Denver wasn’t bad. We just got ID’d, stamped, and on our way.

It means that when they scan you they don’t see you, but a representation of a body. This should be how it is everywhere, but it isn’t. I wouldn’t mind the scan if it wasn’t intrusive, and it doesn’t have to be. Makes you wonder why they insist on the intrusive methods instead of doing like Denver.

Flag Post
Makes you wonder why they insist on the intrusive methods instead of doing like Denver.

Likely older and less precise equipment.

Flag Post

Ex-TSA agent: “We steal from travelers all the time.”

Flag Post

funny story: i’m going thru security and right behind me is a guy from the mid-east wearing the traditional clothes (dunno what they’re called, basically robe and hat and has a full beard). The TSA agent grabs me and quickly pulls me aside and says “you’ve been randomly selected for additional screening for a pat-down”. He pats me down in about a 1/10th of a second says “ok, you’re good, thanks” and pushes me out. Then, he gets the guy behind me. I basically got used to avoid a claim of profiling so they could search the other guy, ha. “well, we got that typical american guy right before you, so it’s cool”.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:
Makes you wonder why they insist on the intrusive methods instead of doing like Denver.

Likely older and less precise equipment.

I assume that was the problem in Vancouver. Makes sense that korea would have superior equipment, and, admittedly, they’re probably not as worried about attacks – but that’s more just because they’re appallingly naive about N.Korea than anything else.

Flag Post
Originally posted by gunforhire:

funny story: i’m going thru security and right behind me is a guy from the mid-east wearing the traditional clothes (dunno what they’re called, basically robe and hat and has a full beard). The TSA agent grabs me and quickly pulls me aside and says “you’ve been randomly selected for additional screening for a pat-down”. He pats me down in about a 1/10th of a second says “ok, you’re good, thanks” and pushes me out. Then, he gets the guy behind me. I basically got used to avoid a claim of profiling so they could search the other guy, ha. “well, we got that typical american guy right before you, so it’s cool”.

This shows the political correctness we as a nation have adopted. We don’t want to hurt the Muslims feelings or show any sort of profiling, but it is something that we should be doing.

Flag Post

This shows the political correctness we as a nation have adopted. We don’t want to hurt the Muslims feelings or show any sort of profiling, but it is something that we should be doing.

Why exactly, is racial profiling ‘something we should be doing’? It doesn’t work.

Flag Post

Technically, we are already profiling. We profile who is Muslim and let them go by, for the most part. Muslims aren’t hiding and most of them wear their Muslim clothing. Of course there are exceptions, but we have to be more vigilant.

Flag Post

Technically, we are already profiling. We profile who is Muslim and let them go by, for the most part.

That’s just unsubstantiated bullshit, and you know it.

Muslims aren’t hiding and most of them wear their Muslim clothing. Of course there are exceptions, but we have to be more vigilant.

‘Muslims’ aren’t hiding because they’re not the problem. You’re about the only one here wishing for a holy war. Which is ironic as you’re not even a religious person. Instead, extremists and maliciously unstable people of any stripe are the problem. You can’t profile for those.

Flag Post

If you want to hijack a plane I’d recommend flying from Paphos, Cyprus. The security there is laughable, they just don’t care.

I thought I had taken everything out of my pockets and walked through the metal detector, it went off, I got a pad down then asked to walk through again, it went off again and the guy just shrugged and waved me on. Afterwards I noticed I had my iPod in my pocket the whole time. I’m not talking about the tiny modern iPods, this was one of those big iPod-Video from years ago. Next time I flew through Paphos I remembered the security so stuck my bottle of water I’d been drinking on the way to the airport and before security in the side pocket of my bag rather than the bin. It was in plain view but they didn’t take it off me. Cyprus is not far from areas of major conflict.

On the contrary I flew through Paris CDG (horrible place, btw) and they spent about 25 minutes emptying my bag and examining every single battery, and inspecting my shoes. I think they were suspicious because I had forgotten to throw my water out, must of been thinking of Paphos, so they assumed if I had water then the rest of the bomb’s parts must be there somewhere.

Arequipa airport (Peru) you could just wonder around the run ways and there was no security. Sure they may not be a major terrorist threat but there are plenty of reasons that south american groups may want a plane with or without the hostages.

I think we just like to blow things out of proportion. You could claim that 9/11 checks have prevented anything similar happening since, but then you’d have to also claim that 7/7 checks have prevented anything similar happening since except for there are no 7/7 checks.