Protests in the Arab World.

37 posts

Flag Post

On the news there have been reports of Anti-American protests all over the Arab world. This is a thread for those who wish to discuss it.

I can understand why the people protesting would want the United States to ban the film, but the problem with doing that is the first amendment in the bill of rights to the constitution:

Article 1:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or of the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

We cannot establish any law for a religion. PERIOD! What is your opinion on the matter?

Flag Post

It wouldn’t be that much of a problem if they protested. The thing, is they are attacking embassies. Of countries that had nothing to do with the film.
In these countries the religious leaders – especially of the extremely religious kind – just have so much influence that anything that attacks their religious beliefs is seen by some as something close to an assassination attempt on a political leader. And the worst thing is, the film is so bad that you literally cannot take it serious. I doubt that many of these protesters have actually seen it. They just heard some guy say something like: “The West is trying to take away our Islam! We need to fight back!” Sadly, some people follow that.

On a ban of the film: if it was considered hateful it could in fact be banned. But I don’t know if it is. It’s just that bad. To me it was primarily comical. But, then again, I am not a religious extremist.

Flag Post

My opinion on the matter… is that extremist Muslim nuts need to get a sense of humour.

And the barely-functional muppets who flock around after them like furious, ignorant sheep would really benefit from acquiring some basic knowledge of the real world.

Kind of sickening/horrifying/confusing/depressing that such religious moronicity still exists in so many places.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NeilSenna:

My opinion on the matter… is that extremist Muslim nuts need to get a sense of humour.

And the barely-functional muppets who flock around after them like furious, ignorant sheep would really benefit from acquiring some basic knowledge of the real world.

Kind of sickening/horrifying/confusing/depressing that such religious moronicity still exists in so many places.

So true. So true.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NeilSenna:

Sadly you see the same thing in many Christian places too. The exact same mentality is present in parts of the US bible belt. Kentucky, anyone?

Flag Post

I’ve seen this film. It’s very much Zionist propaganda, there is nothing Christ-like about it.

It was militant Zionists that handed Jesus over to the Romans. They didn’t want a Messiah that performed miracles only to illustrate philosophical points, preaching peace, love, and forgiveness to all nations; They wanted a military leader.

One of the many reasons they nailed Him to a tree.

Flag Post

Sadly you see the same thing in many Christian places too. The exact same mentality is present in parts of the US bible belt. Kentucky, anyone?

I dunno… when was the last time a US mob stormed an embassy over an internet video? I mean, not the sort of people who’s intelligence and conduct I go leaping to defend. But, still on a better page in my opinion.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ungeziefer:

I dunno… when was the last time a US mob stormed an embassy over an internet video? I mean, not the sort of people who’s intelligence and conduct I go leaping to defend. But, still on a better page in my opinion.

I agree with both of you. Fact is the basic mindset that it is or should be a punishable crime to insult religious beliefs of religion X is Present in both. The difference is the cultural experience with enforced freedom of speech and the level and percentage of education and religion in the population.
Add to that is a quite a difference in the perceived relations in terms of superiority to each other. The Americans generally believing in their superiority over other Nations and cultures, while the people in those countries (where the riots happened) feel bullied and oppressed by a economically and military stronger but a morally decadent and corrupt America(and by extension Europe).
Which basically leads to a more don´t give a shit Attitude on side of the American people towards what the people in other Nations say to/about them. While the other side has greater interest and takes greater grievance to what America say to/about them.

Flag Post

lol. your memory so bad you already forgot about the Phelps picketing funerals? what about the murder of doctors? in fact, we are talking about what are essentially islamic cults, so what about Jonestown? or a whole bunch more such cults based on mass suicide, child-molestation or even bringing about the end of the world?

Flag Post

I like what Reagan did when Libyans killed Americans…it shut them the hell up for about 25 years…

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:
Kentucky, anyone?

What about Kentucky? Have they been bombing embassies lately? I know some people (especially in the South) can get bigoted and annoying, but their actions as a whole don’t hold a candle to these Middle Eastern nuts.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

lol. your memory so bad you already forgot about the Phelps picketing funerals? what about the murder of doctors? in fact, we are talking about what are essentially islamic cults, so what about Jonestown? or a whole bunch more such cults based on mass suicide, child-molestation or even bringing about the end of the world?

These are excellent points. VikaTae was referring to a mentality, not specific actions.
My position is that this mentality is motivated by politics, not Godliness.

Flag Post

It’s my home state, Twilight, I was listing it as an example of places where the base belief system is identical to these lunatics. Stoning still goes on from time to time, for crying out loud.

EDIT:

Originally posted by Azolf:

These are excellent points. VikaTae was referring to a mentality, not specific actions.

Yup, I was. It is religion to a certain extent. However it is a lack of education combined with an overemphasis on the control side of organised religion as opposed to the worship side of things that is at the root of it.

There isn’t a lot of hope in these places, outside of that offered by the silver-tongued preachers. Additionally, for whatever reason, many of the residents are seriously dumb. That’s not stereotyping, that’s plain old observation. As a result, they are easy to lead if you use your religion of choice to control how they see the world, and what they believe.

For those in a position of power, they are like blunt implements. Just point these people in the direction you wish them to go, and step well back.

Flag Post

It’s my home state, Twilight, I was listing it as an example of places where the base belief system is identical to these lunatics. Stoning still goes on from time to time, for crying out loud.

EDIT:

Yup, I was. It is religion to a certain extent. However it is a lack of education combined with an overemphasis on the control side of organised religion as opposed to the worship side of things that is at the root of it.

There isn’t a lot of hope in these places, outside of that offered by the silver-tongued preachers. Additionally, for whatever reason, many of the residents are seriously dumb. That’s not stereotyping, that’s plain old observation. As a result, they are easy to lead if you use your religion of choice to control how they see the world, and what they believe.

For those in a position of power, they are like blunt implements. Just point these people in the direction you wish them to go, and step well back.

You were in Kentucky…I’m even FURTHER SOUTH. I live in the SOUTHwest corner of Tennessee…I have NEVER seen stoning happening nor have I heard about it happening in the most the recent of the last 60 years.

Flag Post

To stay on point, militant Christianity remains lunatic fringe, while militant Islam continues to gain international support from Muslim sympathizers. It isn’t fair to compare the two so strongly.

Generalizations were made. I attend church weekly and am yet to meet one Christian terrorist.

Flag Post
Originally posted by scoopolard:

You were in Kentucky…I’m even FURTHER SOUTH. I live in the SOUTHwest corner of Tennessee…I have NEVER seen stoning happening nor have I heard about it happening in the most the recent of the last 60 years.

There was an attempt to stone an animal to death just last year. Nutbags are all over the place.

Azolf: We have groups such as the KKK and the Army of God. There are others, but these are most definitely Christian terrorist groups, using terror to spread their particular spin on ‘biblical truths’.

Both the christian and muslim extremists have the same root psychological cause, so of course they should be compared strongly. Heck even an atheist extremist has the same root psychological cause.

Flag Post

EDIT:

Stoning still goes on from time to time? That indicates repeated but infrequent stonings in Kentucky. Do you have any proof of this?

Edit: An attempt to stone an animal doesn’t seem to justify your extreme statement. I’m sure kids throw rocks at animals all over the country all the time. I’m also guessing throwing stones at animals has nothing to do with religion, like you implied. Note: This is not an endorsement of the stoning of animals in anyway

Flag Post

There was an attempt to stone an animal to death just last year. Nutbags are all over the place.

While I agree that there are some lunatic fringe and stoning an animal is a horrible thing to do (no argument there), the number and scope of lunatics in the U.S. really pale in comparison to what the Middle East is doing. This stuff makes news on a regular basis. I’m just glad I’m not living in the midst of it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

Stoning still goes on from time to time? That indicates repeated but infrequent stonings in Kentucky. Do you have any proof of this? It seems pretty arrogant to call many residents of a particular geographic area dumb based solely on your observations also.

I’m trying to find the one about the whale protesters tried to have stoned. We discussed it on Kong last year. They didn’t succeed, but they tried their hardest. I know it happened, but I’m having trouble getting the right keywords. I keep getting links about how to get a fish high.

You can call it arrogant if you like – you have a thing for insulting posters – but I have seen the turnout for the Smuckers plant, and how high the turnover is for staff who can’t understand how to fold cardboard boxes after a couple of weeks of training.

I’ve also lived in Scotsville for quite a few years of my life, and interfaced with the locals. There were a few bright sparks of average or above average intelligence, and there were a lot who, how do I put this? Their bodies had decided their brains were unneccessary and had all but cut off the blood flow. If I had to estimate, I would say 85% of the town were like that.

I dred going back now, because each time I do, it’s just the same. Very little changes. it’s not as if the town is unique to the state either. As near as I can tell without visiting every pokey little settlement, they are all like that. A handful of average or above-average individuals who stand out, and a load of dredge.

It’s not even their fault. It’s a rural state for the most part. There are few services, few decent shops, education is shitty to say the least. It’s almost like an area that time forgot, and the people reflect that.

Flag Post

The Obama administration is trying to hide the fact that they knew an attack was coming at embassies especially in Libya yet neglected to strengthen security there. Instead they acted as if the violence that got the U.S. Ambassador and other U.S. envoys there stemmed from the protests. John McCain was dead right on this. Usually protesters don’t carry heavy weapons and RPGs and they usually don’t know where a safe house is located. Not to mention the fact this coincided with the 11th anniversary of 9/11.
www.examiner.com/article/obama-administration-now-doesn-t-know-enough-to-label-libya-death-cause

Flag Post

Stoning still goes on from time to time? That indicates repeated but infrequent stonings in Kentucky. Do you have any proof of this?

I finally found the link I was thinking of, where religious nutters tried to stone an animal purely because of their religious beliefs, but the attempt to push stoning was in Florida not Kentucky.

I guess because it was the sort of nutso thing we would do, it stuck in my mind as that. So I apologise and retract that part of my statement.

Flag Post

I imagine that this is to the Islamic world what ACTA was to the West. When the freedom of speech was limited, how many people took to the streets in protest? Thousands? Maybe millions worldwide?

I don’t worship Islam, or live in a country where it’s the primary religion, but I imagine to mock the faith to them is like mocking the freedom of speech here in the US.

Flag Post
Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:

I imagine that this is to the Islamic world what ACTA was to the West. When the freedom of speech was limited, how many people took to the streets in protest? Thousands? Maybe millions worldwide?

I hadn’t thought of it in that way.

Something so fundamental to our worldview, yea, it does make sense.

Flag Post
Originally posted by onlineidiot1994:

I don’t worship Islam, or live in a country where it’s the primary religion, but I imagine to mock the faith to them is like mocking the freedom of speech here in the US.

I agree with that (Edit: the part about it being the most ingrained belief of theirs) – people see riots and often forget that non-destructive rioting can actually be a great release of tension and outpouring of frustration.

In related news, a French magazine is apparently going to publish offensive cartoons (Link). I have mixed feelings on this – in a way, it’s a way of showing that freedom of speech won’t be pushed around by protestors. However, I also feel that intentionally inflaming the current situation is an irresponsible thing to do.

Flag Post

I agree with that – people see riots and often forget that non-destructive rioting can actually be a great release of tension and outpouring of frustration.

…I guess that’s one way to look at it. When I see rioting, it seems like an act of desperation, and uncomfortably close to the next step, which is violence. To relieve stress couldn’t they just work out or something?