How can we deal with the Muslim overreactions?

214 posts

Flag Post

In the middle east Muslims fly off the handle and call for death the second anything negative is said against their religion or the prophet Muhammad. They see a cartoon and go crazy and call for blood. The mere mention of a video that depicts the prophet Muhammad in a negative light inflames violence and hatred from them.

How do you deal with a group this large who is still living by several thousand year old religious fantasy, ( in my opinion its fantasy )in the modern world? Religion is all great and cute and comforting when it harms no one, ( just like the tooth fairy and Easter bunny and Santa Claus ) but when religion begins to have real world ( and deadly ) consequences when is enough, enough?

It took nuclear bombs to shock the fanatical Japanese out of their fantasy world in their sick devotion to their emperor. What will it take to make the Muslim world realize that it is 2012 and if they don’t calm the hell down serious and definitive consequences will be the end result?

Flag Post

You stereotype them by saying that they’re all like that.

You call their religion a fantasy.

You show a complete lack of depth of understanding or compassion for anyone who’s ideals you don’t understand. While it’s completely normal to feel threatened and offended by fanatic extremists, your reasons seem all too wrong. Many of the extremists do things against what their religion really says to do. There was a man who claimed to be doing his Christian duty while committing a terrible massacre, and it was a horrible event that got some news coverage. But surely your extremely Western ideals tell you the Christianity teaches people good values, so you know that most Christians would frown upon such actions. Why don’t you think that similar ideals would help most Muslim individuals have healthy behavior and help them to be friendly.

You say things like

In the middle east Muslims fly off the handle and call for death the second anything negative is said against their religion or the prophet Muhammad.
The mere mention of a video that depicts the prophet Muhammad in a negative light inflames violence and hatred from them.
living by several thousand year old religious fantasy
Religion is all great and cute
just like the tooth fairy and Easter bunny and Santa Claus
What will it take to make the Muslim world realize that it is 2012

I’d like to reiterate my point that you’ve shown great ignorance and a lack of depth of knowledge or understanding. You seem to be trying to build yourself up by putting them down, as well as putting down their religion. Either it’s that, or you genuinely don’t understand how this situation really is, the same one that you speak of.

Flag Post

Agreed. You are using a rather large brush to paint all Muslims the same. I could do that. Take a Klu Klux Klan mmber and construct an argument on how all Christians are sick, racist individuals who believe God desires a purity of race.

Instead of targeting the Muslim faiths are the problem, target the extremist groups who take any faith and twist it to suit their own ends.

Flag Post

I hold nothing against them for protesting a video, and the simple act of protesting it does not make them dangerous, or even that extreme. Change that would stop radical Muslims, though, will only come from within their religion.

Flag Post

Islam is one of the newest religions in the world, and is barely several hundred years old, much less several thousand.
What went down in Japan was paramount to brainwashing by a corrupt, fanatical extremist group that headed Japan’s military.
The protests in the Arab world were perhaps a bit of an overreaction, but they were largely orchestrated by extremist militias with links to anti-American groups., like AQIM.

Originally posted by vikaTae:

Agreed. You are using a rather large brush to paint all Muslims the same. I could do that. Take a Klu Klux Klan mmber and construct an argument on how all Christians are sick, racist individuals who believe God desires a purity of race.

Instead of targeting the Muslim faiths are the problem, target the extremist groups who take any faith and twist it to suit their own ends.

To be fair, at points not to distant in the past, the majority of the white and Christian South was extremely racist. Certainly more so than there are extremist Muslims in the Arab world who want to destroy America.

Flag Post

Islam is one of the newest religions in the world, and is barely several hundred years old, much less several thousand.

I was under the impression that it The Prophet Mohammad was alive in the 600s, making the religion around 1350 years old.

Flag Post
and is barely several hundred years old, much less several thousand.

It is currently the year 1433 in the Islamic calendar.

Also, to OP: there is no “Muslim problem”, the only problem is religious fundamentalism. Some Christians are religious fundamentalists and that’s how the KKK was formed; some Jews are religious fundamentalists too and that’s how the current oppressive state of Israel was formed (where being a Palestinian or Muslim is detested and discrimination-worthy). The problem is not Islam, the problem is Islamism; the problem isn’t religion, the problem is religious fundamentalism.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ElBandito81:

You stereotype them by saying that they’re all like that.

You call their religion a fantasy.

You show a complete lack of depth of understanding or compassion for anyone who’s ideals you don’t understand. While it’s completely normal to feel threatened and offended by fanatic extremists, your reasons seem all too wrong. Many of the extremists do things against what their religion really says to do. There was a man who claimed to be doing his Christian duty while committing a terrible massacre, and it was a horrible event that got some news coverage. But surely your extremely Western ideals tell you the Christianity teaches people good values, so you know that most Christians would frown upon such actions. Why don’t you think that similar ideals would help most Muslim individuals have healthy behavior and help them to be friendly.

You say things like

In the middle east Muslims fly off the handle and call for death the second anything negative is said against their religion or the prophet Muhammad.
The mere mention of a video that depicts the prophet Muhammad in a negative light inflames violence and hatred from them.
living by several thousand year old religious fantasy
Religion is all great and cute
just like the tooth fairy and Easter bunny and Santa Claus
What will it take to make the Muslim world realize that it is 2012

I’d like to reiterate my point that you’ve shown great ignorance and a lack of depth of knowledge or understanding. You seem to be trying to build yourself up by putting them down, as well as putting down their religion. Either it’s that, or you genuinely don’t understand how this situation really is, the same one that you speak of.

I am Atheist.

Flag Post
Originally posted by QuabbinHiker:

In all fairness, wouldn’t a movie trashing Jesus (and other things related to the Christian religion) piss off a few Christians, too?

I am Atheist.

And that still leaves a bunch of his points left untouched.

Flag Post

Quabbin, how about you attempt to rebuke his, mine and everyone’s points instead of announcing your irrelevant irreligion. Furthermore, what’s up with all these atheists who are incapable of not capitalising the letter A in “atheist”? No, it should not be capitalised according to the Oxford English Dictionary, Dictionary.com, and thousands of other dictionaries; please stop doing so. Thank you.

Flag Post
In all fairness, wouldn’t a movie trashing Jesus (and other things related to the Christian religion) piss off a few Christians, too?

It would, but generally Christians don’t storm embassies in a pissed-off manner.

Flag Post

The incident you are talking about had nothing to do with the so-called video. It was planned weeks in advance to celebrate 9/11. This has been on the news and repeated by several politicians. I don’t know why Obama keeps referencing that video.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

I don’t know why Obama keeps referencing that video.

Probably because the release of the video was the catalyst for the extreme violence shown.

Flag Post
Originally posted by issendorf:

It would, but generally Christians don’t storm embassies in a pissed-off manner.

Same for Muslims.

Flag Post

I am Atheist.

That’s your choice, but that literally answers none of my points.

Nor do most Muslims, but you don’t hear about them since it isn’t newsworthy for most people to act civil. You probably get a lot of firsthand experience with nice Christians in your day to day life, and maybe don’t have the same opportunities to get to know a lot of kind Muslims.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

Same for Muslims.

So the people in Libya who charged the embassy weren’t Muslim? Fascinating, I wonder why every news organization says otherwise.

Flag Post

Same for Muslims.

So the people in Libya who charged the embassy weren’t Muslim? Fascinating, I wonder why every news organization says otherwise.

No one’s denying that there a groups of people who identify themselves as Muslim that still do violent, extreme things, it’s especially newsworthy. But what we’re trying to say is that you’ll find people who call themselves atheist, Jewish, Christian, etc. that also do similarly extreme things, yet it seems that Muslims receive the most blame.

Here’s the two main points, each related to the other.
1) Those extremists may not accurately represent the main group they identify as, in this case Muslims and the Muslim extremists. Maybe the extremists don’t represent the values that the main group does.

2) When there are extremists, they aren’t just Muslim. Extremists groups exist in many major religions, philosophies, etc., and this one directional hate seems uncalled for.

Flag Post

I agree with ElBandito. The TL;DR version is: claiming all Muslims are violent because of a few of them storming an embassy is tantamount to claiming all Christians are violent because of a few who massacred 6,000,000+ Jews in the 1930s and 1940s. Both arguments are baseless, frivolous and fallacious.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:

I agree with ElBandito. The TL;DR version is: claiming all Muslims are violent because of a few of them storming an embassy is tantamount to claiming all Christians are violent because of a few who massacred 6,000,000+ Jews in the 1930s and 1940s. Both arguments are baseless, frivolous and fallacious.

You know Hitler hated Christianity and persecuted them also in the Holocaust? Take Goebbels word though, not mine: “The Führer is deeply religious, but deeply anti-Christian. He regards Christianity as a symptom of decay.” However, your point still stands and I agree.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

I don’t know why Obama keeps referencing that video.

Probably because the release of the video was the catalyst for the extreme violence shown.

Why don’t you libs do a little research before out of hand dismissing others posts?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/13/consulate-attack-planned-as-2-part-militant-assault-libyan-official-says/

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/national_world&id=8808147

Flag Post
Originally posted by 1132:

To be fair, at points not to distant in the past, the majority of the white and Christian South was extremely racist. Certainly more so than there are extremist Muslims in the Arab world who want to destroy America.

I really don’t think the shady past of Southern religious extremism can compare to the bombing and riots we see today in the Middle East. So no, it’s not “certainly more so”; it’s substantially less so.

No, I don’t think it would incite near the level of violence as is occuring in the Middle East. A movie critical of Christianity might meet consequences such as a public statement from Focus on the Family, for example. A movie critical of Islam meets with embassy bombings.

Why don’t you libs do a little research before out of hand dismissing others posts?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/13/consulate-attack-planned-as-2-part-militant-assault-libyan-official-says/

You “libs”? Fox News? This is the type of stuff that irritates people.

Flag Post

What happens is that poorly educated and dissatisfied people are asked by their leaders to protest something coming from “the enemy”. The first group is usually just blindly following a leader (or might be forced to by the treat of violence) and the rest just follows. These acts of violence usually come from governments or local terrorist organizations that need the focus to be on something else(this is the time to make some people disappear).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

You “libs”? Fox News? Nice going. This is the type of stuff that irritates people.

Fox News is as valid as the other three. They are conservative, yes, but the other three are liberal. Although I don’t watch that network much (they took house off), I see nothing wrong with the news on Fox that hasn’t been done on the other networks. After all, they are a legitimate news source or they wouldn’t exist. The only reason some of these posters don’t like Fox is because it is conservative and not liberal.

Flag Post

The reason people don’t like Fox News is because they actually went to court fighting the right to be able to lie. So they themselves know they are lying pieces of shit. We are not claiming or antagonising—Fox News actually wants to lie to Americans. How patriotic, how inspiring, how trustworthy.

And somehow jhco will completely miss this. In two days’ time again he’ll be questioning and asking in this forum why people dislike Fox News. I have said this already and am saying it again: they lie to the public—that is not something I claim, but something they spent massive sums of money in court to be able to do. Fox News is utterly despicable.

inb4firstamendment

Flag Post

So the people in Libya who charged the embassy weren’t Muslim?

I never said that.

However, using that same logic, I can then conclude that because of actions from the KKK, Westboro Baptist Church, and (to an extent) neo-nazis, that Christians are a bunch of violent assholes.

Alright, you’re just trying to rub people the wrong way now, aren’t you?

After all, they are a legitimate news source or they wouldn’t exist.

Dammit, why can’t you be paranoid when you’re supposed to be?

The only reason some of these posters don’t like Fox is because it is conservative and not liberal.

Alright, do I really have to point out your obligatory hyperboles at this point?