The SAT?

13 posts

Flag Post

I’m taking the SAT in a few months and I’m wondering if there’s anything that’ll help me besides the normal test tips and practice books. This is the internet though so I’m not expecting any real answers :/

Flag Post

Delete Facebook, forget Kongregate, forget women, and get crackin’ on the studying. Forget your social life and begin your academic life.

Flag Post

Tutors can be very helpful, and even just having friends explain things to you. It gets it from different angles you might not have thought of, which is massively benefical.
Also, most colleges only look at two of the three sections, so screw the third one. Focus on math and critical reading.

Flag Post

The SAT is not at all difficult.

Flag Post

Hide cheat sheets in the water tank of the toilet bowl, lock yourself in the cubicle and read away.

They’ll never catch you without first invading your privacy.

Flag Post

Find a smart kid,
dress them up to look just like YOU,
Let THEM take the test.
Beside, ALL of ya “kids” look the same anyway.
OR, do they now take fingerprints, retinal scans, DNA, etc?

Flag Post

Facebook, friends, Kongregate, video games, money, women, life, fun and pokemon. That is the list of things you have to get rid of if you want a good score. Now get studying. You only have a few months left.

Flag Post

dude, just get Secrets to conquering the SAT here ":http://www.acceptedinc.com
you decide, study a lot and waste your time, or just study what you need to study. I only studied for a few weeks and put in an hour or so each night, not a big deal. It’s just high school level stuff you already learned, there is nothing special. don’t make it harder than it is.

Flag Post

wth, my post got deleted….guess b/c I posted a link? it wasn’t pron, just study guides….oh well.

anyway, I was going to suggest a book I used. It was easy extremely easy to use, and my advice is don’t make the SAT harder than it has to be. Everyone freaks out when really it’s just HS material you’ve already learned. I studied for an hour a night for a few weeks and it was probably more time than I needed to. look up Secrets to Conquering the SAT, it’s by Accepted, Inc. it’s your call, if you just like to study for month on end, knock yourself out. or you can just study what you need to and not waste your time.

Flag Post

Study logic.

Flag Post

Review Algebra 1 and 2 and Geometry. Make sure you’re proficient in this material, since it will be the only real “curriculum” included on the test. Be especially sure you can handle diagrams/graphical questions and word problems.

A lot of people recommend vocabulary lists, but I don’t think they’re especially useful. There are well over a hundred thousand words in the English language, and you won’t be able to memorize all the “tricky” ones. Instead, I think you’re a lot better off if you devote all that time to reading—preferably reading outside of your comfort zone. Read a few pages of difficult text at a time and see if you can tease out the meaning of words you don’t know from their context. Check the actual definitions of those words and see if you were close. Summarize the meaning of everything you just read in your head. Go back, and make sense of each individual paragraph. If a paragraph is tricky, dissect it sentence by sentence.

The SAT reading section will expect those skills from you. They’ll give you 5 paragraphs of text and ask you the author’s purpose for the whole section, and then they’ll pick out the hairiest sections to see if you understood the details. My general approach during that section of the test was to read through the whole passage once, get a feel for what it’s all about, and then refer to the exact lines that the questions refer to as I got to them (reading the lines before and after as necessary.)

As far as the writing section goes, just be very careful. The grammar questions might involve a few strange rules (or exceptions thereof) but if you’re meticulous you should do well. The biggest challenge on your essay will be the time constraint, so rather than stressing about grandiose language or the artistry of your introduction, I’d recommend quickly planning it all out in your head, then work on just banging it out and making sure each section flows smoothly.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Yreval:

Review Algebra 1 and 2 and Geometry. Make sure you’re proficient in this material, since it will be the only real “curriculum” included on the test. Be especially sure you can handle diagrams/graphical questions and word problems.

A lot of people recommend vocabulary lists, but I don’t think they’re especially useful. There are well over a hundred thousand words in the English language, and you won’t be able to memorize all the “tricky” ones. Instead, I think you’re a lot better off if you devote all that time to reading—preferably reading outside of your comfort zone. Read a few pages of difficult text at a time and see if you can tease out the meaning of words you don’t know from their context. Check the actual definitions of those words and see if you were close. Summarize the meaning of everything you just read in your head. Go back, and make sense of each individual paragraph. If a paragraph is tricky, dissect it sentence by sentence.

The SAT reading section will expect those skills from you. They’ll give you 5 paragraphs of text and ask you the author’s purpose for the whole section, and then they’ll pick out the hairiest sections to see if you understood the details. My general approach during that section of the test was to read through the whole passage once, get a feel for what it’s all about, and then refer to the exact lines that the questions refer to as I got to them (reading the lines before and after as necessary.)

As far as the writing section goes, just be very careful. The grammar questions might involve a few strange rules (or exceptions thereof) but if you’re meticulous you should do well. The biggest challenge on your essay will be the time constraint, so rather than stressing about grandiose language or the artistry of your introduction, I’d recommend quickly planning it all out in your head, then work on just banging it out and making sure each section flows smoothly.

What he said, and read the questions before you read the passage.

Flag Post

study, do work in class, do homework maybe study more do that you could get advance. or be lazy and get basic-below basic/ do w/e