Should the state be allowed to dictate morality? page 2

32 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

The state does legislate morality. What do you think laws are based on? Murder is immoral so it is against the law, rape is immoral and so it is against the law. All of your laws are based on morality and what is proper in our society.

The state does not condemn murder and rape because of their immorality; it condemns murder and rape because of their infringements upon other human beings’ lives.

If a certain act, thought, etc., does not infringe upon other human beings’ lives, why should the state have the right to legislate those on the basis of morality?

Flag Post

JBG – ^ my point exactly

Flag Post

The state does legislate morality. What do you think laws are based on? Murder is immoral so it is against the law, rape is immoral and so it is against the law. All of your laws are based on morality and what is proper in our society.

I think the discussion is more on what you think should be than on what is. I think laws should be less based on morals than they are now. Even so, the amount of laws you think are based on morals are less than you think.

Flag Post

I think the question posed by the OP is extremely interesting and applies in more than just the social issue debates. Take socialized healthcare for example. Socialized healthcare is in a way nothing more than forcing those who are rich to “donate” to help those who are poor, and in presence, regulating morality.

I think in essence conservatives and liberals are both hypocritical then. The government can regulate your actions but not your money vs. the government can’t regulate your actions but can do what it wants with your money. It almost makes more sense to be either for both or against both.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:
Originally posted by jhco50:

The state does not condemn murder and rape because of their immorality; it condemns murder and rape because of their infringements upon other human beings’ lives.

If a certain act, thought, etc., does not infringe upon other human beings’ lives, why should the state have the right to legislate those on the basis of morality?

I agree with the people who are saying that their would be disputes. I think that we all know the basics of what is immoral and what is moral, if we need the government to tell us then something has gone wrong with society.

Flag Post

We like to believe humans have individuality and common sense…but the truth be told…we are sheep.
We need a strong government to keep us from killing ourselves…that is the sad truth.

Flag Post

since we dont have freewill – existence is just a huge program. parts of the program get terminated for not “working”(crime)
the general of the program has become good(humans have become somewhat more to the good side).