U.S. Senate and House Election

54 posts

Flag Post

This thread is much alike the U.S. Presidential Election thread, except of course dedicated to this year’s elections in the Senate and the House.

Discuss any and every election occurring this year on November 6. If you are 18 or over, remember to vote. Here is a guide on how you can register to vote.

One election I find particularly interesting is the Senate election in Massachusetts, essentially between Elizabeth Warren (Democratic) and Scott Brown (Republican; incumbent). According to Wikipedia [1, 2], the polling is quite close. I, however, believe and hope Elizabeth Warren will win.

What elections are in your state and district? What House and Senate elections are you the most interested in?

Flag Post

Just going to double post here, but some other interesting elections (quite disputed):

Maine Senate election: Republican incumbent Olympia Snowe is not running for re-election. There are three candidates with quite a chance:

• Angus King: independent former Governor of Maine from 1995 to 2003.
  • Cynthia Dill: Democratic former member of the Maine State Senate and State House of Representatives.
  • Charlie Summers: Republican former member of the Maine State Senate and former Maine Secretary of State.
As someone who despises the bipartisanship in the United States, I fully support Angus King. He efficiently ran the state in his terms as governor, and has the most experience of all candidates. According to several polls since June, Angus King is the most likely to win. In the latest three polls he has was polled at an average of 44%, whereas the Republican and the Democrat were at medians of 33% and 14%, respectively.

Hawaii Senate election: believe it or not, the Democratic stronghold of Hawaii has a chance of becoming a Republican state in these Senate elections. Incumbent Democratic Senator Daniel Akaka is not running for another term, leaving the battlefield to Mazie Hirono (D) and Linda Lingle (R). Mazie Hirono is a current Representative from Hawaii’s 2nd district and on the other hand, Linda Lingle was the Governor of Hawaii from 2002 to 2010. Mazie Hirono is currently polling at 58%, and that percentage is slowly increasing.

In other states Senate elections more briefly:

• Wisconsin sees the election between Tammy Baldwin (D, WI-02) and Tommy Thompson (R, Governor 1987–2001).
  • In Connecticut Joe Lieberman is retiring and the election will be between Chris Murphy (D, CT-05) and Linda McMahon (R).

Flag Post
In Connecticut Joe Lieberman is retiring and the election will be between Chris Murphy (D, CT-05) and Linda McMahon®.

I really, really, really want McMahon to win. Then, we’re only one degree removed from having Vince Mcmahon as a Senator. This would be the greatest political development since Jesse Ventura.

Flag Post

Chris Murphy is currently polling quite much better. She has a very small chance of winning. More than previous Republicans against Joe Lieberman, but that’s pretty much it.

Flag Post
Chris Murphy is currently polling quite much better. She has a very small chance of winning. More than previous Republicans against Joe Lieberman, but that’s pretty much it.

The people of Connecticut clearly don’t realize this is Vince McMahon’s wife we’re talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFKRUGfJm78

He could be the first man of one of the Nutmeg State’s Senators. You’ve let me down once Connecticut by beating Butler, don’t let me down again.

Flag Post

As an outsider the only one I’m interested in is Linda McMahon. And that’s only because my childish mind is dreaming of McMahon vs Ultimate Warrior in the 2016/whenever election.

Flag Post

Doesn’t it seem a bit odd to you? Only democrats being electable? You people really need to think a little, instead of just posting liberal crap. I have some news you might take to heart. During the 2010 elections the liberals also thought they were invincible. Guess what? they lost control of the house and almost lost control of the senate. This time they will lose control of the senate and we will have a republican president.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

Doesn’t it seem a bit odd to you? Only democrats being electable? You people really need to think a little, instead of just posting liberal crap. I have some news you might take to heart. During the 2010 elections the liberals also thought they were invincible. Guess what? they lost control of the house and almost lost control of the senate. This time they will lose control of the senate and we will have a republican president.

I find it so funny when someone who isn’t rich supports the republican party.

I mean, they are all “who cares if they want to make my life worse so their rich friends can stay rich? I am voting republican because i hate myself and everyone who is of similar wealth.”

Flag Post

the republican party is not just about wealth. That is a line of BS put out there by the democrats. What you don’t seem to understand is, just because a person leans to the conservative side, it doesn’t mean he is anti-American or against people in general. Liberals would love you to believe this, and that they are the feeling party. It is BS and the dems don’t care squat about you while they chase their wealth too.

Flag Post

the republican party is not just about wealth. That is a line of BS put out there by the democrats. What you don’t seem to understand is, just because a person leans to the conservative side, it doesn’t mean he is anti-American or against people in general. Liberals would love you to believe this, and that they are the feeling party. It is BS and the dems don’t care squat about you while they chase their wealth too.

I like the part where you’re trying to argue with a troll.

Flag Post

and we will have a republican president.

I doubt it. Obama may not be the best option but at least he doesn’t make himself look like a fool every time he opens his mouth like Romney does.

Flag Post

Thats not true.

Republicans all think that the rich are entitled to all of the money, while poor people deserve to be poor for being “lazy”.

Rich people (aka republican politicians) equate “laziness” with “not inheriting wealth from your parents”.

Also all republicans blindly believe everything Fox News says and therefor they are stupid.

Flag Post

just because a person leans to the conservative side, it doesn’t mean he is anti-American or against people in general.

What makes this amusing, is that you have often attacked those you deem to be liberal – true or not – to be Anti-American, telling them to ‘get the hell out of America’.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Cdr_CROWface:

Thats not true.

Republicans all think that the rich are entitled to all of the money, while poor people deserve to be poor for being “lazy”.

Rich people (aka republican politicians) equate “laziness” with “not inheriting wealth from your parents”.

Also all republicans blindly believe everything Fox News says and therefor they are stupid.

Cdr_CROWface has me very confused. I can’t tell if he is being sarcastic some of (all of?) the time. LOL

Hyperbole aside in his statements,,,he pretty much has the jist of Republican “ideology”.
OH, why not use SOME hyperbole in order to countermand jake-o’s? LOL

AND, I don’t think we’re talking about LEANS to the right. I think we’re talking about “leanings” that end up being a massive somersault toward near radicalism.

Flag Post

‘Near’ radicalism? Near? As it is, I’m having a hard time not picturing Jhco wrapped from head to foot in bake-o-foil, clutching a rifle, and peering beady eyed into the TV screen for some salvation in the form of good news from Fox.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

‘Near’ radicalism? Near? As it is, I’m having a hard time not picturing Jhco wrapped from head to foot in bake-o-foil, clutching a rifle, and peering beady eyed into the TV screen for some salvation in the form of good news from Fox.

Nah. He’s already stated that he isn’t a “separatist”. But then, that is merely HIS opinion.

Flag Post

He’s stated it, yes, but his various stances always seem to disagree wildly with that statement. Most of his arguments center on how evil the government is, how they’re attempting to destroy every american freedom they can find. How they need to be stood up to, fought against. How he’ll be waiting for them with his guns should they come to him. How we need to form state militias to fight the feds.

If that isn’t separatist, then I don’t know what is.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

He’s stated it, yes, but his various stances always seem to disagree wildly with that statement. Most of his arguments center on how evil the government is, how they’re attempting to destroy every american freedom they can find. How they need to be stood up to, fought against. How he’ll be waiting for them with his guns should they come to him. How we need to form state militias to fight the feds.

If that isn’t separatist, then I don’t know what is.

OH, I (mostly?) agree. Much of what he says certainly could be added up and construed to be exactly that.

Flag Post

Will there be a swing towards the Democratic Party this election in the House and the Senate?

Flag Post

I don’t think so Jaume.
As unlikely as a Romney win is in the Presidential election, I don’t think that equates to a big shake-up in the Congressional elections.

For one thing, I don’t think (haven’t looked it up, so I could be wrong here :D) that there are a lot of Congressional seats up for grabs this election cycle.
2010 was a big deal, because there were a lot of seats up for grabs, and the Tea Party was in its prime. That translated to the “tidal wave” of turnover that was much-touted by FOX.
Of course, that “tidal wave” failed to take control of Congress as a whole, but hey. Propaganda.

Again, the TP was in its prime during that cycle.
I think most of the independents that are active politically have realized what the Tea Party is, and are no longer interested.
On the flip side of that coin, I doubt they’re really hyped up about electing Democrats.
Frankly, I’m pretty sure the independent vote is looking around and saying “…meh” at this point.

This year, the focus is, for obvious reasons, on the Presidential election.

Flag Post

There are 33 Senate seats up for grabs and also 435 House of Representative seats. Apparently there were 37 Senate seats up for grabs in 2010, so there’s only a difference of 4. Every two years the whole House of Representatives is voted in again.

My bet is going to be on the Senate being won by the Democrats, while the House will remain Republican.

Flag Post

Massachusetts Senate debate between Scott Brown (R, inc.) and Elizabeth Warren (D).

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:

There are 33 Senate seats up for grabs and also 435 House of Representative seats. Apparently there were 37 Senate seats up for grabs in 2010, so there’s only a difference of 4. Every two years the whole House of Representatives is voted in again.

My bet is going to be on the Senate being won by the Democrats, while the House will remain Republican.

You do know the Democrats have the Senate now, right? The way you phrase that, it seems like you think the Republicans currently have both houses.

Also, just because a seat is up for election doesn’t really mean it’s “up for grabs”. The only question in Jim Sensenbrenner’s race is whether he’ll win by 40 points or not. He’s never won by less than 20, and he’s been there since about when I was born.

Flag Post

I honestly believe the American people have woken up to what is happening in this country. Independents, the largest voting block, is indicating a 67% approval rating for Romney. When you figure he will get the republican votes and some of the democratic votes, he will win. We cannot follow the polls and expect real accuracy right now as they are fudging the results. But, when November 6th is only a few weeks away, the polls will become more accurate as these are the polls that will give the pollsters their reputations for accuracy.

Obama’s so called Clinton bump has dissipated. His numbers have slid back down. If you notice, Obama isn’t running on his economic policies. This is because it is dismal looking and he can’t. This leaves him with personal attacks on Romney. The debates start tomorrow and I hope Romney goes for the economy. I will be watching these debates.

Flag Post

I removed the comment to keep in line with the topic.
Now posted in Presidental thread.