Yep, that's right—another shooting in the United States. 4 killed in Minneapolis shooting page 2

43 posts

Flag Post

I do think it’s a relatively good idea. I’m sure privacy advocates would be up in arms, but it wouldn’t bother me personally. The system could be designed to protect anonymity until a crime occurs anyway.

Adding a huge network of RFID readers would be possible I guess, but it would still be quite an expense I would think (perhaps a quite worthwhile one if the system worked though.) However, what about areas not as densely populated? Small towns that couldn’t afford a system? etc. To have such a network of readers that all legal guns were being read by the system at one time might not be doable. And if all legal guns aren’t being read, we run in to some of the previous spoofing problems mentioned and other issues.

Finally, I’m assuming one could easily block the RFID on his gun. Or do we have technology to stop that too?

Flag Post

Another gun shooting happens, probably at another gun-free zone.
Almost every major shooting since 1950 except for one incident, where more than 3 people have died during a “massacre”, occured at a gun-free zone.
What is the solution?
Make more gun-free zones, ofc!

Flag Post
I’m sure privacy advocates would be up in arms

Theoretically that shouldn’t be a problem. The tracking technology already exists and is used everyday to track people, so that’s nothing new.

If you have your cellphone switched on, the cell towers use triangulation to work out where your signal is coming from (it sends a keepalive signal out continually) and where to send the reply back to. It’s a basic part of how the system works.

As a result everyone in the country with a cellphone turned on is tracked in real-time. This should deal with complaints of a lack of privacy.

We can’t do the same thing with guns at this time, because the RF tags have to be tiny, and at the moment that limits their efficiency at dealing with broadcast power. It would be lovely just to use the cell towers and stratellite blimps in the same way as phones do, but not currently feasable.

Small towns that couldn’t afford a system?

Then we run into that same problem of we need a tranceiver with a longer range. Preferably a multi-modal system. WiMax or similar. That will require signifgicant research into broadcast power. It’s not impossible, but we don’t yet have it.

Finally, I’m assuming one could easily block the RFID on his gun. Or do we have technology to stop that too?

When inside a building, the bricks, mortar, steel braces and concrete will block RF. There are special shielding wallpapers too. However, we still know which registrations went into the building. An expert system is going to raise a query if gun registration 3457688FWV567HiQ entered a building, and then an unknown registration (9987GHTOA34567) left it some time later. A quick check on the status of 3457688FWV567HiQ is in order. The person who owns it being required to display it to the authorities, to prove it has not been stolen (place a restriction on guns that you can own what you like, but it isw your responsibility to report it the moment you realise it is stolen).

Meanwhile, registration 9987GHTOA34567 is being tracked. The record number does not match any weapon on file, so we know it is a false ID. There is no way to block the RF when you are out on the streets, or in a car, unless you put the weapon in a lined box. If you do this, it will still register as soon as you take it out to use it.

The tags themselves are embeded inside the metal when the mold is cast. The way to remove them then is to cut the barrel into pieces with a hacksaw, slicing through each of the tags in the process. It does not however do the gun a lot of good. You could put additional tags with the same ID inside the hammer casting as well, so that has to be cut into pieces to remove them – long and short of it is that’s not going to happen.

Even if 9987GHTOA34567 is a clone-gun using the number of another legal firearm, that won’t work either. You see, the real 9987GHTOA34567 has been continually tracked the whole time. We know where it is, or what building it last wenty inside, and that doesn’t match the location of this one. Even worse if the real 9987GHTOA34567 exists the building it was known to be in during this time. You already have solid evidence of criminal activity, more than enough to support a warrant, and you haven’t even seen the perps yet. You just know for absolutely certain that the gun is illegal.

If, or rather when we solve the range problem for RF, it takes care of illegal arms trading too. Store them in a shuelded location as long as you like; as soon as you give them to someone and that someone takes their gun out onto the street – its ID is automatically read, and alarm bells go off. It’s even worse if the RFID has a blank ID – as it’s still announcing its position on the system with a signal every time it picks up power from a reader. A blank ID will bring the cops faster than a false ID – and intrigue the CCTV in the region, which is a darn sight faster than a rapid response unit anyhow.

Flag Post

Guns should be allowed everywhere.
No reason why they should be banned, even with them off, people will still kill eachother.

Flag Post

Yes, and of course, it is as easy to kill someone with a grapefruit spoon as it is with a handgun.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BronzeWolf:

Guns don’t kill, but people do, even if guns were banned from the states the killing wouldn’t stop, or more specifically the killing by using guns wouldn’t stop, it’d make law obeying citizens defenceless.

I hear that argument alot but it never seems to happen. Unless the “law abiding citizen” was ready to take a human life and was good enough with a gun to take the shooter down clearly then I really don’t think having a nervous untrained passer-by start adding more bullets to the situation would help anyone

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:

Yes, and of course, it is as easy to kill someone with a grapefruit spoon as it is with a handgun.

Forget the spoon, I’d just kill the person with a grapefruit…“take that you sour bastard!”

Which reminds me, fingers don’t kill people, bullets do.

Flag Post
Originally posted by FlabbyWoofWoof:

Which reminds me, fingers don’t kill people, bullets do.

:-) Then again…

Flag Post

that’s about as real as this.

Flag Post

Yes, yes, I know…I posted it as a joke because the reference brought that to mind.

Flag Post

We should stop these shooting with mandatory gun ownership.

If everyone had guns, nobody would shoot each other because they wouldn’t want to be shot.

Also, there should be a mandatory gun class in high school which will teach kids how to use guns and also gun safety.

With all of these things, there will be no more gun crime.

Anyone who disagrees with this post supports gun crime and therefor is a CRIMINAL :< :< :<

Flag Post

oh yes absolutely. the more guns, the less gun crimes. yes, if everyone has a gun, no one would ever use it. not even when they get angry, or cocky, or anything. uhhuh.

Flag Post

There was a somewhat disturbing development on this front recently. A group rented a 3D printer, and announced they were going to use it to show how guns could be printed quickly and cheaply by anyone in a home environment (completely non-metal, minimum working parts) and then share the plans online.

The company they rented the printer from got wind of their plans and pulled the printer, but the issue is still unresolved. Are they good enough to print home-grown guns out of plastic and resin, and what happens when they are?

Source

Flag Post

Even if they can print homemade guns, you’d still need different materials to build the barrel, firing pin, chamber, etc.

Unless they use a plastic/resin with an incredibly high heat tolerance and is easy to clean.

Flag Post

The way I look at it is, if it costs 50c to print a gun, does it matter if its only good for one or two bullets before it breaks?

Flag Post

well yeah i guess so. unreloadable, clipless guns aren’t that much of a hazard. they can kill, but it’s far more dangerous to use, because once you shoot you’ve run out. unless you carry around a whole bag of them, but that doesn’t sound very effective.

anyway, those proto-replicators make me all anxious. i hope The Federation will be every bit as good as it is in Star Trek, but i doubt it.

Flag Post

Omega, the presence of 3D printers and fabricators, has nothing to do with the world portrayed in an old TV series.

Single-shot firearms already exist, and are quite useful for those unable to hold a normal gun, usually because their hands shake too much to handle a normal trigger. Doesn’t make them any less dangerous.

A definite side effect of a 3D printed gun using household 3D printers, would be no metal, except for the bullet itself. That opens up more avenues for exploitation than I care to think about.

Flag Post

yeah it’d pass metal detectors. however, if plastic guns are viable, i’m sure it already exists anyway.

and i’m afraid you missed my point. referencing star trek was merely to show my technophobia about those things.