Do you trust the government.

26 posts

Flag Post

Do you believe that your government has the interests of the people in mind, are only focused on money and power, or are they motivated by something else entirely?

Flag Post

I’ll answer a different question instead. I think the majority of people believe the government is greedy and powerhungry, but do not have a clue what they’d be like without the government. It is true that some types of government by definition do not have the interests of the people in mind, but this kind of thought is apparent in all societies. Ignorance.

I don’t necessarily think that all politicians are entirely focused on what the people need, and nobody should expect them to. They’re not doing their job because they like it so much, but because they get paid. A hungry politician is no politician any way. Furthermore, it is quite transparent that political parties merely wish to express their own views and push their own agenda into the country. It is up to the people to decide which of these parties have most in common with themselves. The parties then promise to their voters they will continue to push their agenda, because they know most of their voters happen to agree with a lot of their views. Of course, in a multi-party system, there will always be compromises, so ignorance from the people strikes again.

Do I trust the entire government? It is the lesser evil.

Flag Post

There’s no one single government. Just a large number of people, all with different agendas, working in different departments, most of which are competing against one another to various degrees. It’s an almighty mess. The miracle is that anything gets done at all, not that they are moving in some great dark direction.

Flag Post

of course not.

Flag Post

Speaking of the government in my old country, I’d have to say yes, by and large they do (or at least think they do) have the interests of the people in mind. Some of the policies I don’t agree with, but I don’t think any particular government in New Zealand had or has evil or devious plans to make sure only they benefit.

But other countries governments, I’m not so sure of.

Flag Post

No I don’t. I can’t quite put my finger on it but whatever is going on in Washington, it is not in the interests of the people. Year after year I become more distrusting of what is happening. Looking at what has happened the last four years, all of the focus has been to the financial area of our country. The bailout our government handed out went to banks, wall street and the wealthy of our country while the working people were thrown aside. There have been attempts to make the people feel like they are important, but was only for looks and to keep us quite. The American people have taken it in the backside and will continue to do so if we keep the present course our country is on.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

I’ll answer a different question instead. I think the majority of people believe the government is greedy and powerhungry, but do not have a clue what they’d be like without the government. It is true that some types of government by definition do not have the interests of the people in mind, but this kind of thought is apparent in all societies. Ignorance.

I don’t necessarily think that all politicians are entirely focused on what the people need, and nobody should expect them to. They’re not doing their job because they like it so much, but because they get paid. A hungry politician is no politician any way. Furthermore, it is quite transparent that political parties merely wish to express their own views and push their own agenda into the country. It is up to the people to decide which of these parties have most in common with themselves. The parties then promise to their voters they will continue to push their agenda, because they know most of their voters happen to agree with a lot of their views. Of course, in a multi-party system, there will always be compromises, so ignorance from the people strikes again.

Do I trust the entire government? It is the lesser evil.

Probably the best analysis I’ve heard in a while.

Flag Post

The Government is nothing but another pawn in the Devil’s hand.

Flag Post

Define interests of the people? Are they going to fulfil all our wishes? No, but then why would they. Are they going to sell our organs to pay off deficits? No

Maybe a couple of extreme examples (and yes maybe not quite legal) but I think it all depends on how much people expect from their government. The government are not there to help you, they are (or should be) helping the country as a whole.

A different question would be; Do you believe that your government has the good of the country in mind?

Flag Post

government in NZ is different from USA so i can only base it on my government but government doesn’t really care as long as they get money some of them don’t care about money some care about the flash stuff they get and some just want to help so it depends on who is in the government oh and who are you routing to win the election in USA

Flag Post

A different question would be; Do you believe that your government has the good of the country in mind?

Hehe, maybe it’s just the Canadian in me. But, I find the rather pertinent response is “Sure, but do they know what the hell they are doing?” The higher tiers of power are past the point where I get real forgiving of good intentioned screw ups.

Beyond that, really I see the primary motive is self interest. It’s not that they hate the country, or the people, and are set deliberately out on despoiling it. I am sure by and large they like the country and want good things to happen. The problem is when they have to choose between what is good for the country, and what is good for themselves. I think the number of politicians willing to martyr themselves to the state are pretty few and far between.

Flag Post

I trust the government.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Azolf:

Do you believe that your government has the interests of the people in mind, are only focused on money and power, or are they motivated by something else entirely?

i don’t trust the U.S. gov in general
and i don’t want to live here anymore.
mainly because it seems like the presidents in the U.S. are getting worse as time goes on.
I would only feel comfortable here if i really knew that the president can be trusted not to be an incredible asshole or a legendary idiot. When i know that he is easily capable of making rational, reasonable, ethical decisions and not throw away other peoples lives over stupid reasons.

Ive heard stories from my Panamanian mom where the U.S. invaded Panama under the thought that they were becoming communist or hostile or whatever and ended up killing alot of innocent people and even innocent soldiers who all had no idea what was going on. And these deaths, this invasion, was easily preventable by the U.S. government when they were offered Noriega on a silver platter by one of his generals and the U.S. refused and that general was dead the moment he step foot back on Panama.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Noriega

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_invasion_of_Panama

Flag Post
Originally posted by DeathleyEvil:

government in NZ is different from USA so i can only base it on my government but government doesn’t really care as long as they get money some of them don’t care about money some care about the flash stuff they get and some just want to help so it depends on who is in the government oh and who are you routing to win the election in USA

In New Zealand the government is much alike the United States’ government. Not as radical or profit-seeking, somewhat more humanitarian. Nevertheless, the current government of the National Party has no interest whatsoever in the people, national resources, national enterprises, etc. In fact, the government is willing to sell our enterprises to overseas and private investors, returning no profit to the people of New Zealand apart from the elite.

Flag Post

I never trusted the government. It’s getting even worse.

Flag Post

I trust them to maintain the security and safety of my country, to support and manage the economy and to provide services when necessary to those who require them.

So yes. On the important things, I do. This being the UK government.

Flag Post

I trust them when they provide oversight of government itself but I distrust them for the most part. Look no further than the Obama’s administration’s dismissal of oversight in the wake of the Fast and Furious Scandal and Benghazi gate.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Frank101:

I never trusted the government. It’s getting even worse.

Finally someone noticed it! You have my vote, Frank!

Flag Post
Originally posted by NeilSenna:

I trust them to maintain the security and safety of my country, to support and manage the economy and to provide services when necessary to those who require them.

Are you implying only the government can do those things?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Uberfuchs:

Who else can do them?

Flag Post

Well, blackwater…i mean, Xen…I mean, Academi, can handle security. I suppose Trump could handle the economy, until V steps in.

On topic: the Canadian gov’t is very bad. They’ve blocked the press access to most of their parliamentary meetings, so it’s difficult to figure out what’s going on. Definitely a few scandals since the last election. On the other hand, the national motto is ‘peace, order, good governance’. Outside of Afghanistan, we have peace, and we have order, and given that the controversies die down very quickly, i’d say we have good governance. I trust the current party to maintain the status quo. Like a (slight) majority of Canadians, I fear change from other parties. There’s an adjective in political parlance, most americans know it as ‘presidentialism’ i believe. It refers to whether a leader has the right stuff to lead. In canada, it’s not so much that the current leader has ‘the right stuff’, but rather that nobody else comes close.

So to that extent, I trust the government.

PS to Jaume’s post, I’m dismayed that the Shire’s government is so faulty.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Snap902:

Who else can do them?

What makes the government more capable than everyone else?

Flag Post

Who else can do them?

I believe the government can be held more accountable, not only that, certain key infrastructures should be run and owned by the government.

Flag Post
Originally posted by FlabbyWoofWoof:

Who else can do them?

I believe the government can be held more accountable, not only that, certain key infrastructures should be run and owned by the government.

Let’s include: REGULATED private companies.
As in public utilities.
BTW…I think fuel—both cars & heating oil for homes—should become a govt. regulated utility.
Yeah, govt. control isn’t “perfect”,,,
BUT, what we now have is abysmal.

Okay, now I’ve been “sucked into” this thread,,,so I’ll toss in some relevant crap.
Whether one trusts their govt. greatly or not-so-great,,,,
just what is their “alternative” if they don’t “trust” their current one?

Trust is an elusive & complex beast.
Most of us drive cars.
Do ya trust the other drivers to be as “safe” a driver as you are?
OR, do ya do what is called “defensive driving”?

One of my fav quotes from the movie “The American President”: _"A. J. MacInerney: The President doesn’t answer to you, Lewis!
Lewis Rothschild: Oh, yes he does A.J. I’m a citizen, this is my President. And in this country it is not only permissible to question our leaders it’s our responsibility!

Also, I like what NeilSenna said.

Flag Post

I trust my government to a moderate extent, I also agree with NeilSenna.

I live in a democracy I know that if our government decides to screw us over then we can simply not vote for them. Governments must follow the countries wants or we’ll simply dump them for a government that does.

If you have a communist or dictatorship for you country then it really is up to you and what you believe.