Another World Anomaly: Sugar Desert

5 posts

Flag Post

I don’t post in SD very often, but when I do I’ve noticed a pattern. It usually has to do with some far flung idea of something to do with space or to better clarify, anything outside of earth and everything in it.

So I was wondering lately, would it be possible to find another planet that has literal deserts made out of sugar?
Sugars element structure is C(n)H(2n)O(n), so for example, glucose is C6H12O6.

Now this doesn’t have anything to do with ‘deserts’ other than the fact that we as humans would recognize it as a similarity. Vast expanses of grains.
I’m going to clarify that I am also not talking about ‘desserts’ for those that don’t notice the difference in spelling.

I’m toying with different ideas, but I’m unsure of how this phenomenon could occur. Most sugar production occurs within plants, so the only thing I can think is a dead planet, or planet that has a large expanse that is dead that once consisted of very thick jungles of plants that over produced sugar. Or maybe some freak accident that combined the right elements.

What do you think?

Flag Post

how did you think we liked space?
More like guns and politics xD
But yeah, i think it should be possible.

Flag Post

This thread just gave me diabetes.

Flag Post

Plausible, but not probable; sugars are pretty reactive iirc. Also, if any microbes exist, they’d likely be breaking those deserts down pretty quick.

Flag Post

outside of earth