Sinking the Unsinkable: Destroyers page 2

31 posts

Flag Post

What are common anti-torpedo counter-measures? Flak of some sort? Anti-torpedo weapons? Ships built to withstand blasts? Something else? How effective are these measures?

Flag Post

i think anti-torpedos are flak of some sort. wikipedia knows.

Flag Post

A super sonic, mach 3-5 cruise missile is virtually non-deflectable as far as I’m concerned.

Flag Post

Kamikaze dolphins..

edit:wow serious discussions is becoming shitty discussions.. lol

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

What are common anti-torpedo counter-measures? Flak of some sort? Anti-torpedo weapons? Ships built to withstand blasts? Something else? How effective are these measures?

Like I said- destroyers are often the countermeasure. They’ll circle a fleet, so submarines can’t get in undetected- if a submarine wants to fire torpedoes into a fleet, then a destroyer will be circling, ready to take the hit.
There are also nets, and in WWII, they used to fire machine guns into the water in attempts to destroy torpedoes. It worked, but those suckers can run deep and fast now, and are homing.

Originally posted by scoopolard:

A super sonic, mach 3-5 cruise missile is virtually non-deflectable as far as I’m concerned.

Yeah, that’ll sink a carrier.
Lasers on a nuclear-powered battleship are pretty much the only answer to this, aside from more missile sponges.

Flag Post

So, what you’re saying is that a wet dock carrier filled with a flotsam of phalanx large river boat things would a more valuable countermeasure? Maybe some mortars or something for adaptability when indirect fire is desirable… Maybe we should bring back cavalry and the troops should ride R2D2 into battle. And, instead of a turret on the bottom of a plane, maybe a turret on the bottom of a ship. I see target acquisition as the main problem for our weapons (R2D2 or laser). Cruise missiles are certainly nasty, but, if everything is operating effectively air superiority should provide some advanced notice.