Countries That Should not be Countries? page 5

132 posts

Flag Post

^the only other place i know of with borders quite like that is the states of the USA. nowhere else have i found that much linear and equator-lateral/paralel lines.

but natural borders like those we have in Europe are by nature not obtainable by borders being “redrawn”. the very essence of the difference between the two is that linear borders are drawn on a map for geo-pollitical motives, while natural borders are fought over for cultural coherency and such.

so actually

There are many more instances of such borders, and every time there is a war they tend to shift again.

is contradictory. if it shifts becdause of war, they won’t be straight lines. the linear borders are the cause of war, the unlinear borders the result. look at Sudan for recent examples.

this further means that allowing borders to be redrawn along cultural and geographical borders instead of clinging on to linear geo-political borders is better for peace and cultural freedom.

Flag Post

About the US State borders:
http://www.tjc.com/38states/

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

^the only other place i know of with borders quite like that is the states of the USA. nowhere else have i found that much linear and equator-lateral/paralel lines.

Other then the NSW/Vic border (and the QLD/NSW border) they are pretty much straight and fairly parallel.

Flag Post

Vatican
Israel
North Korea

Flag Post

Sealand.

Flag Post
Originally posted by basicbasic:

Other then the NSW/Vic border (and the QLD/NSW border) they are pretty much straight and fairly parallel.

oh Australia, how easily you get overlooked. anyway, it only furthers my point.

Flag Post

The Vatican city should still exist for the good of my religion Roman Catholicism. But should be part of italy

Originally posted by WolfgangAzureus:

Vatican

Flag Post

you know what country shouldnt exist?Greece

Flag Post

shouldn’t be part of the Eurozone ≠ shouldn’t be a country

Flag Post
Originally posted by thepunisher52:
Originally posted by Aneslayer:

Israel…

Yes Israel should not have existed, its like a cancerous tumor in heart of Middle east.

What about terrorism?

Vatican, in my opinion, should exist. It doesn’t brings problems. It’s like a smal city governed by a religious man

Flag Post
Originally posted by Danidada:
Originally posted by thepunisher52:
Originally posted by Aneslayer:

Israel…

Yes Israel should not have existed, its like a cancerous tumor in heart of Middle east.

What about terrorism?

Vatican, in my opinion, should exist. It doesn’t brings problems. It’s like a smal city governed by a religious man

dude, small cities shouldnt be countries.

Flag Post

Luxembourg is a fine country, they’re historically established and even have some form of French dialect specific to themselves. I recall the old saying, “Size doesn’t matter”

Flag Post

sure, if you completely ignore the child-molestation conspiracies and money laundering.

Flag Post

What exactly, do those have to do with it being a country or not, Omega?

Flag Post

Why, it’s very simple. If you do bad things, you can’t be a country anymore.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jantonaitis:

Why, it’s very simple. If you do bad things, you can’t be a country anymore.

If that was made law we would have very very few countries.

Flag Post

I don’t think we would have any. Every country is led by people who make mistakes from time to time, or are blinded by ideology at one point or another. Thus every country would eventually have a leadership who ‘does bad things’, and be dissolved.

Flag Post

yes, i don’t think a deeply criminal organisation aught to be a country of its own. and it seems likely they’d not be able to do as much shady business if they were just a part of Italy. i mean for one thing, i bet the Pope does the whole “can’t touch me” Peter Griffin imitation.

Flag Post

I don’t think it’s fair to describe the vatican as ‘deeply criminal’, especially on the grounds of the pedophilia cases. It was no ‘conspiracy’; those were individual priests; it wasn’t like the vatican ordered it. They just turned a blind eye to it, which is mostly I think because they’ve never learned how to do PR / Damage Control very well.

I also think it’s pretty funny that you think they’d be a lot less shady if they were under italian jurisdiction, considering how much shit berlusconi got away with for so long.

Flag Post

alright, maybe Italy isn’t renowned for its political fortitude.

but coverup conspiracies of something that bad, reaching up to the highest levels of the organisation really is deeply criminal.

Flag Post

as Janton just said, they’re hopeless a PR. It was simply something they had no idea how to handle.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

but coverup conspiracies of something that bad, reaching up to the highest levels of the organisation really is deeply criminal.

mm. I think a small reminder is in order, to illustrate that no country, no matter how saintly they look today, is free from embarassing little faux pas’s in their past that continue to lurk in the shadows.

Of particular interest:

The Dutch, quick to moralise about human rights abuses by other nations, have never properly examined or debated the unpleasant history of their own experience in the colonial war. Dutch society seems to suffer from collective amnesia when it comes to the murderous behaviour of the soldiers who tried unsuccessfully to suppress the Indonesian independence movement in the jungles of Java and other islands almost 50 years ago. Young conscript soldiers, acting under orders, put numerous hamlets to the torch and butchered men, women and children…The war crimes against Indonesian villagers were committed with the direct knowledge of The Hague, at about the same time that Germany’s Nazi leaders were being tried in Nuremberg.

Flag Post

ok, very good point Janton. are you glad you managed to put that in somewhere?

anyway, i don’t quite see the relevance. the only way you can compare the Vatican to the Netherlands is by the very thing i am challenging. it shouldn’t be a country. if some evil cult declares itself a nation, it still shouldn’t be a nation.

that all nations have their dark spots in its history doesn’t mean we should just go and consider a handful of criminal conspirators a nation of its own.

60 years ago may be fairly recent history, but its still history. the child-molestation cover-ups are current events.

Flag Post

Ah, but if you read the article in full, you’d see that the dutch continue to deny that history, and in fact both the guy who started talking about it (through writing a historical fiction novel) AND the journalist who did an interview with him about it, have been charged with slander by the dutch veterans assoc and could go to jail for it, or pay a fine.

Sure sounds like a ‘conspiracy going up to the highest levels of authority’ to me. Or do you consider 1994 to be ancient history as well?