is killing yourself cowardly page 2

43 posts

Flag Post

It really depends on the situation, but personally I think people who commit suicide are idiots, excluding those who kill themselves because they’re in chronic pain(ie. self euthanasia). People who sacrifice themselves for the lives of others are noble but eventually they’re dead and the other guy is not, so it’s a very bad decision.

Flag Post

if suicide or being tortured to death because o your beliefs are the only options I’d take suicide. I don’t always see it as a way out unless the only other option is death anyway.

Flag Post

Depends on how you look at it. In America “judeo-Christian society”, it is seen as a sin and taking the “easy way out”. In places like Japan, however, it is seen as the noble and honorable thing to do.

I’ve thought about it, but it is fear that keeps me from doing it.

Flag Post

TOTALLY Matters on the Situation. Life gets rough, your girlfriend cheats on you, you need to power through those things. Aliens are crawling through an air vent and your body is about to be a Alien’s Baby Nest….. Suicide is ok.

Flag Post

nope. it’s actually very courageous.

i want to hang myself, but i am too afraid(mostly of it failing and me making my own life difficult as a result).

If anyone is finished with their life(wheter they are suicidal or have just done everything they wanted too in life)
then they should not have to be forced to continue living. their life is their property(their mind and body).

choose your own ending.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Galdos:

i want to hang myself, but i am too afraid(mostly of it failing and me making my own life difficult as a result).

If anyone is finished with their life(wheter they are suicidal or have just done everything they wanted too in life)
then they should not have to be forced to continue living. their life is their property(their mind and body).

choose your own ending.

If I were you I would find other means of suicide, and not have failure as a concern for not hanging yourself. It’s a pretty painful, long process of suicide, rather than something simpler as well as more peaceful.

I don’t believe suicide is courageous or something to be thought of as brave. To me, it seems more selfish than anything, to end your life, perhaps knowing very well that there are other people who care for you and would hate to see you dead. If treatment is not an option for some reason, why not get away from the things that make your life hell? I’m sure that running away, if that’s one thing that would please you, would be less foolish than killing yourself. But none of this is to say that I would call a person who threw themselves over a person to protect them, knowing very well that they may fail and very possibly could die a coward. But I’d call some teenager who has found that they are depressed because of school bullying, parents splitting, etc. killing themselves because life just didn’t work out in their favor a coward. It would be much more satisfying to overcome your challenges rather than end your life overall. Afterall, you’re not alone in this world. Though you may not find peace and comfort in life with those around you, the internet is a great way to socialize and meet with people.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rwbstripes:
Originally posted by Galdos:

choose your own ending.

If I were you I would find other means of suicide, and not have failure as a concern for not hanging yourself. It’s a pretty painful, long process of suicide, rather than something simpler as well as more peaceful.

I don’t believe suicide is courageous or something to be thought of as brave. To me, it seems more selfish than anything, to end your life, perhaps knowing very well that there are other people who care for you and would hate to see you dead. If treatment is not an option for some reason, why not get away from the things that make your life hell? I’m sure that running away, if that’s one thing that would please you, would be less foolish than killing yourself. But none of this is to say that I would call a person who threw themselves over a person to protect them, knowing very well that they may fail and very possibly could die a coward. But I’d call some teenager who has found that they are depressed because of school bullying, parents splitting, etc. killing themselves because life just didn’t work out in their favor a coward. It would be much more satisfying to overcome your challenges rather than end your life overall. Afterall, you’re not alone in this world. Though you may not find peace and comfort in life with those around you, the internet is a great way to socialize and meet with people.

Hanging yourself is not painful at all if done correctly.
If you tie rope to roof and hang with it, you will probably die of asphyxiation and that is painful.
But if you arrange the rope assembly in such a way that you can get a six feet drop when you jump for it, your neck will be broken and you will die instantly.
and this is why modern day gallows have a six feet drop.

Flag Post

I wasn’t sure if he was talking about just hanging himself from a ceiling or actually breaking his neck. Most likely he would have done the former.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Rpoman2009:

It depends on the situation.

Not only is this the thesis for the argument, but it also is a fairly diffusive statement for this matter.

Flag Post

Those who failed at suicide should have tried harder….

Flag Post

It all depends on the situation and events that lead up to the ending of your own life. But all I think it really means is you’ve lost faith or the hope for a better day tomorrow. Because even some people TRY and TRY to make there lives better, it just doesn’t work. But in all fairness, you need to look at a specific case, and review the actual details and things that lead up to the act.

Same goes for being self-fish, because many people who commit suicide do not have friends or family, therefore, it cannot be selfish.

Flag Post

Imo…..

Suicide in a way is actually a very courageous act, the fact that you are actually forcing your mind and body to accept and do something which goes against human nature would take a lot of guts, of course the reason in which people suicide makes the circumstances different.

Flag Post

My opinion, it’s cowardly, suicide is a way of not standing up to your problems, instead running away from them forever.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Retneug:

Killing yourself can sometimes be extremely brave depending on the context.

For example, on a recent good show called “Arrow”, the main character’s father kills himself and another man on a lifeboat because there isn’t enough food left for all three of them. Thus he gives his son, the only other passenger and the one most likely to survive, the best chance at life that he possibly can.

And there’s always throwing yourself on a grenade to protect your buddies.

But yeah, if you just kill yourself for personal reasons I’d say you’re cowardly in most cases. Notable exceptions are victims of severe trauma of all kinds, such as extreme violence or sexual abuse, and people who are looking forward to a slow/excruciating death otherwise.

I could not agree with you more. But what is your opinion on people who are being bullied? I personally think that suicide in the case of a victim of a bully is still cowardly, as cruel as it sounds. I think suicide is a very permanent solution to an often temporary problem. But what is the suicide of the victim the bully’s fault? If so, then is the bully or the victim cowardly? If not, then how could the victim have stopped their inevitable suicide?

Flag Post

not being suicidal is masochistic. /thread

Flag Post
Originally posted by NewSlacks:

not being suicidal is masochistic. /thread

That makes no sense without explanation. Unless you are saying life is pain so to carry on living you must enjoy the pain.

Flag Post

you are in extreme pain.
there is no cure.
you have no reason to think “download into a computer” will be an option in time to be of use.
you cannot afford cryostasis.

need i say more?

Flag Post

“Download into a computer” or Mind uploading, is unlikely to be an option within the next 60 years, so yes, that is out of the equation. We have far too much work to do there for anyone to contemplate it seriously with regards to salvaging their life.

Also cryostasis doesn’t save your life. It only works after you have died. Your head is decapitated and frozen within three minutes of death being declared. So long as the freezing is done in this timeframe, your brain has not yet started to deteriorate. However you are in fact dead at the time, and the hope with cryostasis is that at some point in the future (assuming the facility’s power doesn’t fail,) technology may be advanced enough to either reanimate you, or retrieve the information that was locked in your brain.

Otherwise, I agree with fractalman, but with the caveat that chronic pain isn’t the only option. Any condition which is mostly non-painful but is still sucking your life away also applies. A good example of that is a malignant brain tumor. There are no nociceptors in the brain (pain receptors), so you cannot feel any pain. Just piece by piece as the tumor grows, bits of your life, your memories, your speech, or any other aspect of what makes you, you, breaks off from the rest and is englfed by the mass, never to be heard from again.

In this type of situation, despite it being virtually painless, it is very understandable if the person wishes to take control of what is left of ther self, and go at a time of their own choosing. A brain tumor won’t kill them after all; the autonomic systems are in the base of the brain and will be the last to go. But by that time, their mind, their spirit, all their memories, feelings, behavior, all their soul, for want of a better word, is all long gone. That dead shell is all people will remember of them, rather than the person who in actuallity died maybe 12-18 months before their body did.

So it is more than understandable if they wish to skip that process, and exit life all in one piece mentally, as it were.