Why not suicide? page 4

82 posts

Flag Post
what “_dangerous territory”_?

duh. think, karma. asking “what’s stopping you?” to someone suicidal, which beauval claims to have done…i shouldn’t have to explain.

Omega, a lot of people do believe that. Perversely, they tend to be the ones who also believe that suicide is a mortal sin.

well yeah, there you go. they don’t believe, at least, that such a paradisal reward would be awaiting them after suicide. but also i strongly question the sincerity of any claims of actually believing that strongly in post-humous eternal bliss. because they typically also believe that any death is in accordance with God’s plan, but yet that any murderer acted out free will and should be punished rather than thanked for carrying out Gods will and sending their loved ones to the eternal bliss

I think it’s a fair question.

if i say i want to move to Australia; or, more equivalent to the OP, if i ask “why shouldn’t i move to Australia?”, and someone would ask me “why haven’t you moved yet?” … outside of encouraging me to move, what possible meaning or relevance could that question have?

perhaps you’re hoping for someone to say “because i like it here”. but i think many would not reply with that, or they wouldn’t have brought up Australia in the first place. so what possible answer could you even be looking for?

unless you think the fact that they haven’t moved to Australia yet proves that they don’t really want to. but that would be a stupid thought, because some people DO move to Australia, and each of them contemplated moving to Australia for some time before moving there – so clearly, not having moved yet does not disprove desire.

Flag Post

Funnily enough I do want to move to Australia. I could apply now, but I would like to go with a bit more money than I have now. So I’m working on that. Meanwhile life in London is bearable. If it became otherwise, then I would cut my losses and move immediately. It’s a matter of getting the balance right. My desire to leave now is outweighed by my desire to leave in better financial shape.

So if certain posters’ stated desire for death is actually more than a bit of teenage angst in youngsters still trying to make sense of the world and find their place in it, then there must be something holding them back. Perhaps there really is some joy among the misery, perhaps it’s just fear of the unknown, but I think it is a fair and relevant question.

Flag Post

I know when I had suicidal thoughts I was desperately seeking for a reason to not end my life. Luckily I found them.

But I would make a distiction here between people who find their lives meaningless and people who are hopeless in their situation of life. Former usually leads people to cynicism/apatheism and latter people have usually encountered more or less personal crises that have driven them to having suicidal thoughts. I think OP is the former, and hence my question to him on the previous page.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TuJe:

But I would make a distiction here between people who find their lives meaningless and people who are hopeless in their situation of life.

I have to agree here. Its those who find their lives truly phsically unbearable, who are the greatest risk for suicide. Those with apathy about life, tend to carry on, whereas its those with real, deep-seated issues, who increasingly find life too much of a burden to bear, unless those issues are alieviated.

Flag Post
So if certain posters’ stated desire for death is actually more than a bit of teenage angst in youngsters still trying to make sense of the world and find their place in it, then there must be something holding them back. Perhaps there really is some joy among the misery, perhaps it’s just fear of the unknown, but I think it is a fair and relevant question.

seems like asking for something that by premise is missing or insufficient to me. and it seems that the fact that none of them have been able to answer your question would indicate that i’m right about that.

perhaps they just haven’t got around to it yet. perhaps they’re not sure what method to use. perhaps they’re afraid of wounding themselves. perhaps they have a sense of wanting to be certain first, considering the irreversible nature of what we’re talking about. or even they simply don’t want to hurt who they would leave behind, and they’re weighing their priorities.

of course, anyone talking about suicide usually isn’t actually planning it. but this OP never expressed any desire and in fact had declined it already before you asked.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:
Originally posted by TuJe:

But I would make a distiction here between people who find their lives meaningless and people who are hopeless in their situation of life.

I have to agree here. Its those who find their lives truly phsically unbearable, who are the greatest risk for suicide. Those with apathy about life, tend to carry on, whereas its those with real, deep-seated issues, who increasingly find life too much of a burden to bear, unless those issues are alieviated.

Put them in a life threatning situation and they will start valuing life.

Flag Post

i once wondered what would happen if i put a gun to my then occasionally suicidal friend’s head and threatened to kill him. …like, these people that have some revelating near-death experience…could that play out like that with anyone that doesn’t care to live?

but i don’t think so. i think people apethetic about their life care about health and the avoidence of pain, but i don’t think the risk of losing it would necessarily make them apreciate life more. perhaps for some.