Should Learning Another Language At School Be Compulsory

66 posts

Flag Post

here in Australia the Gillard government wants to introduce languages like Hindi and Indonesian to schools because the people who speak those languages are meant to be our most important trade partners. I’m all for multiple languages being taught in school but they shouldn’t get priority over the official language of the country. Science shows us that children who grow up in bilingual or multilingual households learn better and I think if we can have 2 official languages (i.e. English and Indonesian) and make signs bilingual and everything and have people speaking more than one language at home, that would be great, however we do need to address problems people already have with English (like the people who confuse your and you’re) and make sure any curriculum puts extra emphasis on making sure people are prepared for life by being able to read and write at a reasonable level. What are your thoughts on the topic?

Flag Post

no. schools should be changed to be more like colleges. it is a luxury and not a prison camp, yet they force children to do things thei way. the teachers are dictators.

anyway, EVERY school should really just chuck other languages.
english is the working world language and it is illogical and impractical to teach other languages, because language is for communication and we cant communicate if we dont have the same communication way.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Galdos:

no. schools should be changed to be more like colleges. it is a luxury and not a prison camp, yet they force children to do things thei way. the teachers are dictators.

If anything, ministers are dictators. The teachers do not design the curriculum. They just think of ways to meet it effectively.
And these curriculum look the way they do for a reason. Schools are supposed to prepare children for their life after school. In order to do that effectively you need some compulsory classes. If I had had free choice I would have gotten rid of maths as soon as possible. Had I done that I would be in major trouble right now at university.
Children simply do not think that far ahead early in their lives. Schools are supposed to give them a good overall education, so that they have as many options as possible once they are older.
WHEN they are older and know what they want, then they should have more freedom than they have right now (situation in Germany). That I agree with.

On the topic of language learning: that has actually been proven to work better at an early age, so I am strongly in favour to have children learn the basics of at least one important world language at an early age.

anyway, EVERY school should really just chuck other languages.
english is the working world language and it is illogical and impractical to teach other languages, because language is for communication and we cant communicate if we dont have the same communication way.

Ever heard of the language of Mandarin?
Spanish is actually also a pretty important language.
And don’t forget Hindi.

English may seem like it is more important than most other languages, because it has developed to be the most prominent lingua franca, but as soon as you look around in less developed countries and different parts of the world you will see that English alone will not be the future of international communication.

Flag Post

rather go study online. where you arent a slave. and you choose what you want.

Flag Post

Yes, but it should be applicable to the modern world. At school I only had access to French as a foreign language and this may help in select circumstances but since then a base knowledge in Spanish would of served me much better, and I could of told them that at the time when I only had access to French.

That is all great for the developed world and the privileged, however the less privileged dedicating free time and resources they don’t have to learning a different language just to suit you seems a strange concept. Most people in large businesses and organisations, who do international business frequently will likely speak English. However there are many more people who don’t have need to speak English as they don’t need to deal with people who speak English on a day to day basis, hardly fair to expect them to learn English just incase you need directions off them on holiday and haven’t bothered to learn their language.

Simple communication across languages is easy if you are willing to just learn a few key words and can reinforce what you are trying to say with good signals and body language. Of course you will have problems if you go into a foreign country and haven’t learned a single word and are not willing to, and rightly so

Flag Post
Originally posted by Murder_Machine:

here in Australia the Gillard government wants to introduce languages like Hindi and Indonesian to schools because the people who speak those languages are meant to be our most important trade partners. I’m all for multiple languages being taught in school but they shouldn’t get priority over the official language of the country. Science shows us that children who grow up in bilingual or multilingual households learn better and I think if we can have 2 official languages (i.e. English and Indonesian) and make signs bilingual and everything and have people speaking more than one language at home, that would be great, however we do need to address problems people already have with English (like the people who confuse your and you’re) and make sure any curriculum puts extra emphasis on making sure people are prepared for life by being able to read and write at a reasonable level. What are your thoughts on the topic?

you should stand against this, however disrupting it may be to your life. dont rest till you have removed other languages from schools. fight this evil know as “culture”

Flag Post

rather go study online. where you arent a slave. and you choose what you want.

Because lessons that have been structured according to what has been found to be effective for language learning and learning in groups, which also gives you core competences outside of pure language learning totally is slavery.
And because children totally will decide to go online and learn a language at the age of eleven or earlier.

Flag Post

i know that we can’t magically make EVERYONE learn english over night, but we should really establish a long term plan, because this is for the betterment of the human race.

Flag Post

I vouch sign language.

Flag Post

learning these languages NOW is an okay idea for trade, but you should tell those that you trade with about learning english so that they can be part of the real world.

Flag Post

The real world is Chinese I tell ya. Mandarin for that matter….

Flag Post

speaking about curriculum: they should really remove rubbish books like romeo&juliet. they should be teaching them english that is going to be used to communicate with. shakespeare books use rubbish language(and are also REALLY boring and have stupid story lines). they should definitely be teaching people about sentence stuctures and spelling rules, so that people can understand the information that people are trying to pass to each other.

Flag Post

i know that we can’t magically make EVERYONE learn english over night, but we should really establish a long term plan, because this is for the betterment of the human race.

A long term plan.
Further above you said plans are slavery and that everyone should just do what tehy want.

Make up your mind!

Btw, how old are you? You sound like a bored and frustrated kid.
“Uh! Romeo and Juliet sucks!” School is supposed to teach about culture just as much as it is supposed to prepare you for life after school. And Shakespeare is a very important part of English culture. His plays are over 400 years old and still able to touch people.
And the language in there is not rubbish. It’s archaic. Because, believe it or not, people didn’t always speak like they do today.

Flag Post

on a bigger scale, you should protest against having a department that regulates these forced education systems. (children are forced to go to school or they are considered “abused”. which is rubbish)

Flag Post

Galdos, I strongly encourage you to LURK MORE in order to understand more about how the world works, instead of constantly making stupid comments.

Back to topic, do you know what you are talking about? Do you really encourage the hegemony of USA? No. I like diversity. I know of many endangered languages and when the speaker of the languages dwindles, the oral history, myths and traditions are gone forever. Globalization is not encouraging one same culture, but it’s like dissolving sugar and salt in the same cup of water — if you have a drop of the solution, you will most likely find a salty and sweet solution. However, some may be saltier and some may be sweeter.

Flag Post

people learn language easier at a younger age. teach them then, because teaching them at an older age will only clutter their mind and cause severe work problems and concentration problems and mind becoming overheated.

Flag Post

people learn language easier at a younger age. teach them then, because teaching them at an older age will only clutter their mind and cause severe work problems and concentration problems and mind becoming overheated.

I’ve not got long, but this deserves to be said: Galdos; you know absolutely nothing about how the human mind works, or even the biology of the brain; it is comments like this one which you make in earnest seriousness, that prove that beyond all doubt.

Perhaps you should spend some time and learn the very basis of how they operate before speaking of such matters.

Flag Post

“but they shouldn’t get priority over the official language of the country”
indeed, people shouldnt forge the country to fit others needs, they should forge it to fit the right way of living. but work slowly towards it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

I’ve not got long, but this deserves to be said: Galdos; you know absolutely nothing about how the human mind works, or even the biology of the brain; it is comments like this one which you make in earnest seriousness, that prove that beyond all doubt.

vika, he merely saying ANYTHING in order to make a post so that his name w/ be the only one on the page.

Flag Post

oh, and how things work: the government is made out of representatives. you need to go to your mayor and he goes to his up and so on. if you do not like the decisions that your direct or upper representatives make, then you CAN get them kicked out. dont stand for poor decision making.

Flag Post

oh, and how things work: the government is made out of representatives. you need to go to your mayor and he goes to his up and so on. if you do not like the decisions that your direct or upper representatives make, then you CAN get them kicked out. dont stand for poor decision making.

Relevance?

I really don’t know what you are saying anymore. Once you claim, that languages should not be taught in school at all, that everyone should just learn what he wants, then you say that we should all learn English, then you say that we should all learn languages at an early age…

Flag Post

hm, now that you bring this topic up. i saw an online school where you arent force to take a certain number of subjects. type it into google , tons of em. only thing schools are good for are the lecturers. “teachers” should only lecture and not regulate the lives of students. its not a slavecamp and they are not the overlords.

Flag Post

Teachers should not lecture!
Lectures are boring as hell for kids. You need to get them by involving them in the lessons. You seem to assume that every kid realises at a young age that it needs a good education and will work for that as hard as it can. That’s not what happens in reality.
Most kids would much rather play outside than go to school. Only later, for example when they go to college, they realise what school did for them.

Flag Post

you pay a school so that you can have access to the property(land) and listen to the lecturers and have access to the resources(IT, library and such).

Flag Post

Your point?

And, again, teachers are not lecturers.