Obamacare Causes Companies to Cut Hours page 8

189 posts

Flag Post

So, if a hypochondriac, or an obese person, uses the last of the money, a baby that stopped breathing can’t be seen? This is a good idea?

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:

So, if a hypochondriac, or an obese person, uses the last of the money, a baby that stopped breathing can’t be seen? This is a good idea?

This is why budgets are carefully managed. This is also why we don’t “throw every diagnostic process at a patient just for the heck of it.” A nationalised healthcare system still has to balance its books, and the money doesn’t just come pouring in for free. It comes from the government yes, but there’s still a lot of oversight on how its spent.

Managers expect results, and if you are spending a lot, you’d damn well better be successfully treating a lot of patients, or enquiring minds will wish to know exactly what you are doing with the money.

Flag Post

1. Those would likely be in different departments, so have different Money pools. With a higher likelihood that Money from other Departments would be shifted to cover the Baby than a hypochondriac or an obese person.

2. The question actually only arises if the department is either managed very poorly or faces unexpected circumstance(like extra costs due to epidemic or natural disaster) or is disastrously underfunded in the first place.
If thats not the case then Management generally rations money so that there is a slight surplus at the end of the Budget year, which is spent on various stuff thats not immediate necessary. That means its generally not a patient(Baby) in need of immediate care that gets cut off, but new medical equipment, the staffs Christmas bonus, renovations and so on.

This does mean that during the year there will be times when treatment that are normally covered and done will be refused or the patients referred to other clinic or put on a waiting list. But there is generally always money reserved for important cases. With the treatments that get restricted first being those that are less nessary (and sadly in many countries less profitable).

The quality of Public Health-care largely depends on how good the management is. Its easily possible even for a Government sponsored institutions to have very good Management. Sadly America seems far behind in this regard. While most modern countries have already begun to incorporate state of the Art Management systems to control costs and raise quality. America seems to believe strongly that government management will always be poor no matter what that they can´t even imagine in investing time and money in making their management better.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

This is why budgets are carefully managed. This is also why we don’t “throw every diagnostic process at a patient just for the heck of it.” A nationalised healthcare system still has to balance its books, and the money doesn’t just come pouring in for free. It comes from the government yes, but there’s still a lot of oversight on how its spent.

Managers expect results, and if you are spending a lot, you’d damn well better be successfully treating a lot of patients, or enquiring minds will wish to know exactly what you are doing with the money.

Without wanting to, you have touched on one of the shortcomings of Obamacare. We recently had a little girl die because the hospital kept making the family wait for a doctor. She died in the waiting room of the emergency area. I would guess it was because of the people MyTie mentioned who always go to the emergency room for the sniffles or something non-important. This is going to become quite a problem when Obamacare eliminates the private insurance we now have. We just found out Walmart insurance is going up 39% because of Obamacare regulations that will be in force this year. If it does it again next year, my wife and I will no longer be able to afford health insurance.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

Without wanting to, you have touched on one of the shortcomings of Obamacare. We recently had a little girl die because the hospital kept making the family wait for a doctor. She died in the waiting room of the emergency area. I would guess it was because of the people MyTie mentioned who always go to the emergency room for the sniffles or something non-important.

No, its really not. When you go to ER, you are assessed by triage. It is their job to grade the seriousness of your health issue. No matter how many minor complaints go to ER, they won’t be prioritised to see a doctor ahead of serious or emergency cases.

Your ‘example’ is probably hospital negligence, nothing more.

If it does it again next year, my wife and I will no longer be able to afford health insurance.

This is why we badly need a proper national health service in place across the states. It will take a god-awful amount of time to get there, but progress towards it is finally underway.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Without wanting to, you have touched on one of the shortcomings of Obamacare. We recently had a little girl die because the hospital kept making the family wait for a doctor. She died in the waiting room of the emergency area. I would guess it was because of the people MyTie mentioned who always go to the emergency room for the sniffles or something non-important.

No, its really not. When you go to ER, you are assessed by triage. It is their job to grade the seriousness of your health issue. No matter how many minor complaints go to ER, they won’t be prioritised to see a doctor ahead of serious or emergency cases.

Your ‘example’ is probably hospital negligence, nothing more.

If it does it again next year, my wife and I will no longer be able to afford health insurance.

This is why we badly need a proper national health service in place across the states. It will take a god-awful amount of time to get there, but progress towards it is finally underway.

Tell that to the grieving parents and see if that will placate them.

It’s the national healthcare that is killing the ones who take responsibility for their health and leaves them without insurance. What do we do while you and your ilk are getting this underway? Die?

Twilight, it is my understanding Medicaid and Medicare are going to be cut back next year and those who depend on those programs will be ineligible for many procedures for lack of money. But Vika will have her wish of Obamacare that will not be able to supply good healthcare.

Flag Post

Tell that to the grieving parents and see if that will placate them.

Or, I could just advise them to sue the hospital for negligence. You know, the mature, practical approach to things? The one based in reality?

It’s the national healthcare that is killing the ones who take responsibility for their health and leaves them without insurance. What do we do while you and your ilk are getting this underway? Die?

It is really, really hard not to rise to the occasion, when you trap yourself with your words like this. But I will be the better person, and respond to the argument, rather than my personal feelings about the individual writing them.

Its not an ideal situation, no, but there are other alternatives available. Medicare and medicaid are viable alternatives if you find yourselvs unable to afford insurance. Roughly 50,000,000 Americans struggle without it right now, so you’re just joining their ranks. You’ve always maintained they deserve to be without it if they cannot afford it, as they’re obviously lazy, so perhaps this is just putting your money where your mouth is.

The costs will be forced down eventually, right now its just insurance companies panicing about their profit margins. In the meantime, apply for the pitiful social healthcare schemes we have running atm. They’re not much, but better than nothing.

Twilight, it is my understanding Medicaid and Medicare are going to be cut back next year and those who depend on those programs will be ineligible for many procedures for lack of money.

Do you have a source for that? Your understanding and reality, well, all too often never the twain shall meet.

Flag Post

They are suing the hospital, but that won’t bring their little girl back, now will it.

Geez, you didn’t read my post either. Since you are just repeating your argument and being a bit snippy, I don’t care to respond any further.

Listen to the radio or TV news. maybe you will learn something.

Flag Post

They are suing the hospital, but that won’t bring their little girl back, now will it.

No shit sherlock.

What, are you actually looking for a way to bring the girl back? Reality does not work that way. Once you are dead, you are dead.

Since you refuse (as usual) to give any sources, I can only go on the third-rate hearsay that you provided. It sounds like someone got sloppy and failed to do their job. That’s a breach of their standards of care, and an extremely serious offense. Someone can kiss their career goodbye.

However, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with any health care policy. It was NEGLECT, pure and simple.

Listen to the radio or TV news. maybe you will learn something.

I would strongly suggest that to you. Practically every argument you make, is made from complete ignorance. You have not changed your stance on anything in years, and I doubt you ever will.You are physically incapable of learning Jhco. You are just a mouthpiece for someone else’s mind.

Flag Post

You keep thinking that Vika, as you watch our country to either stay the same or keep going down for the next four years. I think it is too late to recover from your fearless leader and his ineptness.

Flag Post

Well, I’ll be watching it slowly recover, Jhco. I have no clue what you’ll be doing. Arguing the same tired old shit you do now, with no changes whatsoever, I should imagine.

Flag Post

Wait wait wait let me make sure I’m following this;
Jhco, one of the “we don’t need universal health care cuz you can just go to the ER” crowd, is now citing an overcrowded ER as an argument AGAINST universal health care?

Like….are you fucking kidding me?!

How completely disconnected from reality do you have to be?!

Flag Post

I’m still thinking at it would be easier to cut the ludicrous military spending so that more money can be put into the new system so it doesn’t clash with the old system until the new one is finished….

Flag Post
We recently had a little girl die because the hospital kept making the family wait for a doctor. She died in the waiting room of the emergency area.

Sorry to hear that; how very sad for them. It sounds like the ER wasn’t doing it’s job. They are supposed to screen you with simple vitals and assessment up front, and then prioritize as necessary. Our local hospital, for instance, generally has a crowded waiting room. However, when my husband had his pulmonary embolism, he went to the window and reported trouble breathing. He went right back to a bed. They said they don’t make anyone with trouble breathing wait and their assessment was correct—he had blood clots in his lungs. They are an example of an ER who did their job. One who doesn’t do their job in that manner should probably be sued into oblivion so they don’t make the same mistake again.

Twilight, it is my understanding Medicaid and Medicare are going to be cut back next year and those who depend on those programs will be ineligible for many procedures for lack of money. But Vika will have her wish of Obamacare that will not be able to supply good healthcare.

…Um, I could be wrong, but isn’t Medicaid supposed to be expanding?