Math help

7 posts

Flag Post

I know this is a bit silly, but I need some help with a bit of math. I know that SD will, well, be serious. How do you find the inverse (as in 5 to -1/5) of a decimal number, such as 3.3?

Flag Post


Flag Post

Ok, thanks. I get it now.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:

It’s ‘maths’ not ‘math’.

Just thought that may help

I think the americans call it math but us brits call it maths

Flag Post

I’ll skip all the technicalities (including jargon) and use concrete exemplification in concordance with basic terminology

Say you have (1/5)

To find the inverse, flip the roles of the denominator and numerator – substitute one for the other: i.e. (5/1 => 5)

Now, apply the opposite sign.

For 5, from a positive, you would have a negative. likewise, from a negative, you would apply a positive.

(8/7) would be (- 7/8) etc.

In extension, if you have decimals, multiply the decimal components (i.e. .3) by a factor of 10 to make it whole etc.

That’s all to it

Flag Post

Depends on the country, dd. Inside the US, it is ‘math’, outside the US, it is maths. American English doesn’t include the ‘s’.