The Meaning of Life page 2

87 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Galdos:

if there is no meaning, why are you still alive?

Does there need to be a meaning in order to be alive?

Flag Post

clearly 42 google NEVER lies lol

Flag Post

Watch Monty Pythons: The meaning of life that should give you a good idea.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheAmazingAlo:

Some people climb mountains to find the meaning of life, some read every book in a library to find the meaning, a lot pray talk to their god to find out the Burning Question that much of the World goes to great extents to find the Answer.

Maybe some of you have climbed mountains, read books, or prayed to find this answer and you would be willing to share.

there is none. you live, you work, then you die.
no point in constructing anything.

why do we even go on if what we do isnt going to amount to anything.

human existence is pointless and illogical to continue.

Flag Post

1.the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating
internally.

2.the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.

3.the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one’s life; a short life and a merry one.

4.a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul: eternal life.

5.the general or universal condition of human existence: Too bad, but life is like that.

l2google

Flag Post

Two words:
Species survival

Flag Post

I think i live to have fun

Flag Post

I realize this was bumped, but as long as it’s done, I feel like adding my two cents.

whhy bother doing ANYTHING.

Possible answers off the top of my head:
• To make a better world.
• To enjoy ourselves.
• Because why not?

by your logic, you should just come to a standstill.

No, that’s your logic talking, not dd790’s. Why should “standstill” be the default state?

As far as I’m concerned, it’s actually kind of symmetrical: perhaps there’s no objective reason we ought to do things, but there’s also no objective reason we ought not to. And hey, if “meaning” isn’t ingrained in the fabric of the cosmos, then there’s nothing to stop us coming up with our own meaning.

I’m not trying to be particularly deep here; I just think you’re being pessimistic.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Izicain:

My dad says: Life is death.
Which I think is not true at all. Life for me is all about caring, sharing, loving, hating, changing, moving. Praying is one thing, thanking, believing, trusting and doing good deeds.

Is doing bad deads not what life is about as well?

Flag Post

There is no meaning to life. The only thing that keeps us going is fake happyness. The only thing that stop us from suciding is fear of danger.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Cwovictor:

There is no meaning to life. The only thing that keeps us going is fake happyness. The only thing that stop us from suciding is fear of danger.

Well aren’t you just a ball of sunshine.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

Well aren’t you just a ball of sunshine.

I don’t recall asking for critisim, thank you very much.

Flag Post

Calling your view depressing isn’t a criticism, calling you self-pitying would be.

Anyway, I haven’t said my opinion here, at least, so I’m not technically repeating myself when I say that life is what you make of it. Like, literally make, you have the ability to do things, and you do at least some of them, which gives a meaning to life, whatever the meaning may be.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

Calling your view depressing isn’t a criticism, calling you self-pitying would be.

Anyway, I haven’t said my opinion here, at least, so I’m not technically repeating myself when I say that life is what you make of it. Like, literally make, you have the ability to do things, and you do at least some of them, which gives a meaning to life, whatever the meaning may be.

I see, sorry for being mean, maybe I was just stressed.

Flag Post

To try and shove literally all of experience under one definition is to invite failure. Life is too broad a topic to try and enclose. Invariably, any attempt will exclude parts, not give credence to other views, or neglect to properly expound and impress on the importance of individual parts.

What most people attempt to define is actually the purpose of humanity, or what is happiness. The meaning of life is life itself, as demonstrated by itself. Life tries to live, and that’s what it does. Which is an understatement.

Flag Post

Some people climb mountains to find the meaning of life, some read every book in a library to find the meaning, a lot pray talk to their god to find out the Burning Question that much of the World goes to great extents to find the Answer.

Maybe some of you have climbed mountains, read books, or prayed to find this answer and you would be willing to share.

My friend, no one knows the meaning of life. Just live it for what it is worth. We have but a short time in this life and to waste it wondering what it is about would be a shame.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

My friend, no one knows the meaning of life. Just live it for what it is worth. We have but a short time in this life and to waste it wondering what it is about would be a shame.

Wasting it playing w/ a metal-penis is an utter shame when compared to helping out ones wife’s church w/ their electrical problems when that one is (supposedly) an electrician.

Wasting time male-bonding over coffee daily to discuss the latest far-right claptrap rather than find some truly meaningful AMERICAN SPIRIT of volunteering for the huge number areas that so desperately need the help (meals on wheels, etc.) is a damn shame.

It is a damn shame to waste time by coming on a gaming site to bitch about his family being forced to go watch “parade-prancing homo’s”, the utter “need” for women to not kill their BABIES, to argue that guns should come in Cracker Jack boxes as the prize, to insanely argue that fossil fuels aren’t—but are some other production that is still producing, to insult most anyone—but esp. those damn foreigners who deign to have an opinion on issues involving THEIR WORLD NEIGHBOR—about how only he fully understands the Constitution of America and everyone else who doesn’t should just probably go live somewhere else.

Perhaps TheAmazingAlo didn’t mean actually FINDING THE meaning of life?
Perhaps he meant a finding of ones own PERSONAL meaning?
Perhaps he meant not an actual “finding”; but rather the journey//quest is its own fulfillment.
Like in: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Flag Post

Karma, that was uncalled for. At some point, especially when its not even on the same topic, what you’re doing becomes simple harassment.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kasic:

Karma, that was uncalled for. At some point, especially when its not even on the same topic, what you’re doing becomes simple harassment.

Kasic, I’m really, deeply sorry that ya feel that way.
If YOU wanna play “good cop” on this forum….FINE.
Ya’ll find that I’m very much the “bad cop” on issue that do great harm to others.
jhco champions many of these.
Actually, simple harassment of him is called for & much too little.
I guess ya haven’t noticed that a few others are right in the thick of it w/ me?

I greatly admire your positions on issues on this forum.
But, I also greatly disagree w/ it on this.

One, it IS on topic re the OP, (as, btw…YOURS isn’t).
Two, it IS on topic re the one jhco raised.
Three, since YOU know relatively little about all of those positions jhco holds….
I’m gonna go with the idea that ya’re really missing most of the points I’m making.

AND, if ya really want to chastise someone for such a faux pas,,,
take a shot at this one:

karmakoolkid
The arrogant ignorance of this man on nearly all topics on this forum (he does know his guns…he does NOT understand the dire need for rational control of them) is utterly astounding.

This coming from Mr. Ego himself. All you do is pretend to know everything, so clean up your own back yard before you trespass on mine. If you even used your head, you would know we cannot change the laws of physics. Are you going to fly to the sun and cool it down? I’m sure you will claim the ability. So tell me, why do you with an obviously average intelligence so readily buy in to the liberal claptrap?

And vika, are you an expert on what happens in the mantle of our earth? Be honest, we are dealing with more scientific theories, not facts when it come to what is going on in the earth. Some of that ego our scientists have when it comes to theories. They like to feel important.

BTW, I went on to substantiate my opinion given in the quote above.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:
Originally posted by Kasic:

Kasic, I’m really, deeply sorry that ya feel that way.
If YOU wanna play “good cop” on this forum….FINE.
Ya’ll find that I’m very much the “bad cop” on issue that do great harm to others.
jhco champions many of these.
Actually, simple harassment of him is called for & much too little.

I guess ya haven’t noticed that a few others are right in the thick of it w/ me?

I greatly admire your positions on issues on this forum.
But, I also greatly disagree w/ it on this.

One, it IS on topic re the OP, (as, btw…YOURS isn’t).
Two, it IS on topic re the one jhco raised.
Three, since YOU know relatively little about all of those positions jhco holds….
I’m gonna go with the idea that ya’re really missing most of the points I’m making.

AND, if ya really want to chastise someone for such a faux pas,,,
take a shot at this one:

karmakoolkid
The arrogant ignorance of this man on nearly all topics on this forum (he does know his guns…he does NOT understand the dire need for rational control of them) is utterly astounding.

This coming from Mr. Ego himself. All you do is pretend to know everything, so clean up your own back yard before you trespass on mine. If you even used your head, you would know we cannot change the laws of physics. Are you going to fly to the sun and cool it down? I’m sure you will claim the ability. So tell me, why do you with an obviously average intelligence so readily buy in to the liberal claptrap?

And vika, are you an expert on what happens in the mantle of our earth? Be honest, we are dealing with more scientific theories, not facts when it come to what is going on in the earth. Some of that ego our scientists have when it comes to theories. They like to feel important.

BTW, I went on to substantiate my opinion given in the quote above.

Oh, I’m quite aware of all that. The reason I haven’t called jhco out is because I seriously doubt he’s capable of realizing how many personal attacks and fallacies he uses. While you, on the other hand, are only hurt by presenting yourself on his level, and seem rational enough to understand that you went a little too far. In large, your arguments lose a lot of emphasis and persuading power because of your implied tone – which is what jhco almost exclusively comments on your posts about and leads to these ridiculous flame wars. The more mature person is responsible for not having things devolve into petty scraps and in the end, it’s clear who is more respectable and in control of themselves when it’s a one sided rant met by polite response.

Taking what he said in this thread and extrapolating that into a sarcastic remark that includes his other views expressed in various threads is most certainly not productive to the conversation. While talking about how he reconciles those other beliefs with his presented definition would be on topic, you blocked that route by turning it into a barb instead of a question.

Flag Post
Wasting it playing w/ a metal-penis is an utter shame when compared to helping out ones wife’s church w/ their electrical problems when that one is (supposedly) an electrician.

Wasting time male-bonding over coffee daily to discuss the latest far-right claptrap rather than find some truly meaningful AMERICAN SPIRIT of volunteering for the huge number areas that so desperately need the help (meals on wheels, etc.) is a damn shame.

It is a damn shame to waste time by coming on a gaming site to bitch about his family being forced to go watch “parade-prancing homo’s”, the utter “need” for women to not kill their BABIES, to argue that guns should come in Cracker Jack boxes as the prize, to insanely argue that fossil fuels aren’t—but are some other production that is still producing, to insult most anyone—but esp. those damn foreigners who deign to have an opinion on issues involving THEIR WORLD NEIGHBOR—about how only he fully understands the Constitution of America and everyone else who doesn’t should just probably go live somewhere else.

Bitter much?

Flag Post
Originally posted by issendorf:

Bitter much?

When it comes to INNOCENT people (including & especially children) suffering through no fault of their own….but rather at the hands of bigotry, insensitivity, utter & senseless greed, hatred, malevolence, etc.

YOU BET!

And, the begging question is: why aren’t YOU?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Necero:

As a muslim, I believe the purpose of life is mentioned to us in the Quran.

“And I (Allah) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone). "

[51:56]

Wait… Really?
That’s it?
Nothing more?

Flag Post
Originally posted by EPR89:

“And I (Allah) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone). "

Wait… Really?
That’s it?
Nothing more?

Yes, simple huh? No need to overcomplicate things, the answer is there in the Quran for the people who are interested.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EPR89:

Wait… Really?
That’s it?
Nothing more?

Yes, simple huh? No need to overcomplicate things, the answer is there in the Quran for the people who are interested.

Well, I’m confused.
People always accuse Atheists’ outlook on life of having no purpose (which is pretty a ignorant thing to say).
But to me, living to worship some supposedly existing celestial entity quite probably sounds less fulfilling than having no purpose at all. If that’s it, I don’t see why anyone would be Muslim. This is not convincing at all.