Obesity apologist page 3

150 posts

Flag Post

Exercise and body type are also important I currently eat 4000-5000 calories each day but I’m losing a little weight right now.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

I cannot think of a single exercise-thing which is both enjoyable and accessible at-will; and I somewhat doubt one exists.

Really, Captain? I feel sorry for you then. But I would recommend stretching your imagination and thinking a little harder.

No matter what shape I’ve been in in my life, there are two things I’ve always enjoyed and sought out:

Swimming
Snow skiing

If I could snow ski at least twice a week, I would be a happy person. Even though I’m busting my ass, I don’t even think about it, it’s so much fun. And the cold fools me into not knowing I’m sweating. It’s only after the day is over and new muscles are sore that I realize how hard I worked.

Flag Post
en weather conditions allow, my wife & I do one of the most simple forms of exercising…WE WALK.

walking is exercise? …well i guess if you weigh 200 kg it would be.

Thats like me telling other people (especially children in math class) that math is not very hard. 90% of its solving puzzles like sudoku.

that’s not a fair comparison. maybe i’m not the one to talk considering i’ve wasted my entire life and plan to continue wasting all the rest of it, but this is still equating skill with discipline. besides, “diet” is often just code for not overeating. the word makes it sound like something difficult that you have to actively do, but it really usually comes down to not being a pig.

abstainance requires no skillset.

Exercise and body type are also important I currently eat 4000-5000 calories each day but I’m losing a little weight right now.

i doubt calories are really all that they are claimed to be. a 200 gram chocolate bar has as much calories as two full meals, however eating two entire 200 gram bars certainly doesn’t make me feel like i just ate four meals.

for some years, i ate and ate until i got really tired of it every day and never ever exercised, and i was still as skinny as Jack the Skeleton.

No matter what shape I’ve been in in my life, there are two things I’ve always enjoyed and sought out:

Swimming
Snow skiing

uhm…unless you live in Switzerland perhaps, skiing really isn’t very accessible at all. but i guess running or swimming should be fairly accessible, and even more so cycling if you live in Europe. where i live, bicycles are the only way to get around really (though i never “get around” anyway).

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

uhm…unless you live in Switzerland perhaps, skiing really isn’t very accessible at all.

What do you mean? Skiing is available in every state in the nation, at least seasonally.

Flag Post
en weather conditions allow, my wife & I do one of the most simple forms of exercising…WE WALK.

A fairly short walk, say 3 miles, at a leisurely pace of, say, 3mph for a 100Kg person is equivalent to circa 334 cals (e.g. roughly 1 1/2 choc. bars if you want to think of it that way)

So yeah, even for the ‘normal’ person, a good walk is beneficial exercise (not to mention stress relief, fresh air, etc)

i doubt calories are really all that they are claimed to be. a 200 gram chocolate bar has as much calories as two full meals, however eating two entire 200 gram bars certainly doesn’t make me feel like i just ate four meals.

Why would you expect it to? You feel ‘full’ because of the volume of food you’ve eaten… the amount of calories you’ve consumed depends on the food’s energy density.

Chocolate has a high energy density, ergo you get a lot of calories from very little (relatively) – a lot of which are in the form of simple sugars, so quick release/absorption.

for some years, i ate and ate until i got really tired of it every day and never ever exercised, and i was still as skinny as Jack the Skeleton.

Lucky bugger! :P I’ve been stuck at my current weight, give or take a few kg, for years… increasing exercise & improving balance of diet hasn’t helped shift it… almost seriously considering amputation of one leg! :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

uhm…unless you live in Switzerland perhaps, skiing really isn’t very accessible at all.

What do you mean? Skiing is available in every state in the nation, at least seasonally.

ah, the nation. now there’s a great word. that’s just splendid. but last time i checked, “the nation”‘s provincial states are mostly defunct, and none of them have a skiing resort above maybe some little artificial slope that’s quite expensive to use. but then, i’ve never called it “the nation” before, and i doubt it’s the one you’re refering to.

but alright, i guess if you live in “the nation”, and you’re used to traveling hours just to get food…

A fairly short walk, say 3 miles, at a leisurely pace of, say, 3mph for a 100Kg person is equivalent to circa 334 cals (e.g. roughly 1 1/2 choc. bars if you want to think of it that way)

So yeah, even for the ‘normal’ person, a good walk is beneficial exercise (not to mention stress relief, fresh air, etc)

fresh air is good…but as exercise…is there that much difference between walking indoors or outdoors? but alright, i’ll concede. if i were ever to “exercise” it would be for totally different reasons than burning calories anyway, because i’ve never had to lose any. so forgive my ignorance.

Lucky bugger! :P I’ve been stuck at my current weight, give or take a few kg, for years… increasing exercise & improving balance of diet hasn’t helped shift it… almost seriously considering amputation of one leg! :)

lol. limb amputation is the leet way to lose weight. but anyway, i wouldn’t say i’m very lucky with that. eating and eating and eating and still being hungry all the time, with a sunken abdomen and visible ribs, and almost no clothes that fit…and just hungry and hungry just all the time… really not fun.

there’s plenty of people with the same problem, i know a few, and none of them feel blessed. it’s not made easier by the assumption that just because being overweight is an epidemic, everyone has to lose weight and is benifited by low calorie foods. sometimes it’s harder to find stuff that isn’t low calorie than just regular stuff.

“healthy food”, for instance, whenever it’s used usually they mean it’s low calorie, which means for me it’s BAD rather than good, so i’m always quite bothered by people abusing “healthy food” that way.

Flag Post

ah, the nation. now there’s a great word. that’s just splendid. but last time i checked, “the nation”‘s provincial states are mostly defunct, and none of them have a skiing resort above maybe some little artificial slope that’s quite expensive to use. but then, i’ve never called it “the nation” before, and i doubt it’s the one you’re refering to.

but alright, i guess if you live in “the nation”, and you’re used to traveling hours just to get food…

? What? OK, sorry I didn’t specifically qualify the United States, sometimes referred to as the nation, but that is what I meant. And no, skiing is not prohibitively expensive. I skied a bit in California, believe it or not. It was about a 1.5 hour drive to Boreal Ski resort (or Sugarbowl, take your pick), and I could ski for under $100 a day—there were also student/military discounts and things. I think there is a ski resort within 1/2 hour of me here in Colorado. How does this seem difficult to you?

Flag Post

how does this seem difficult to me? … wow. because of everything you just said. half an hour to and back…sounds like a pretty big investment. and $100 for a day…how many people could afford that?

sometimes referred to as the nation

lol. come on now, you can’t be that…ignorant of the world. i bet you live in “the city” as well…

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

how does this seem difficult to me? … wow. because of everything you just said. half an hour to and back…sounds like a pretty big investment. and $100 for a day…how many people could afford that?

sometimes referred to as the nation

lol. come on now, you can’t be that…ignorant of the world. i bet you live in “the city” as well…

…No, I don’t live in “the city”, I now live in a rural go-almost-nowhere town. Admittedly, going down to a gym your apartment owns is easier than skiing and could probably be accomplished on a more regular basis, but if you think skiing under those conditions is insurmountable, man you’re a whiner.

Flag Post

never-the-less, if you lived in a city, you would possibly refere to it in some contexts as “the city”, but you wouldn’t call it “the city” if you weren’t in that city, now would you? because that would be stupid.

similarly, when you live in the USA, you may refere to it as “the nation”, for instance, when discussing, for instance the most deserted highway in the nation, or the fattest person in the nation. similar to how British people may discuss the biggest drunkard of the country, or the foggiest town in the country, in which case they’re refering to either England or the UK.

“nation” means roughly the same as “country”, that is not any distinction. using “the nation” to specify which nation, just assuming everyone will know which nation…guess what, we do know, because only Americans are stupid enough to not realise how stupid that makes them look.

that or you’re assuming everyone to be an American, which is also very stupid.

moving on, the only people i know that have skiing for a hobby are very rich people, and this would at most be once a year for them. but then, i live in one of the flattest countries in the world.

Flag Post

“nation” means roughly the same as “country”, that is not any distinction. using “the nation” to specify which nation, just assuming everyone will know which nation…guess what, we do know, because only Americans are stupid enough to not realise how stupid that makes them look.

Nice trolling response. I already apologized and qualified that it was the U.S., what more do you fucking want?

moving on, the only people i know that have skiing for a hobby are very rich people, and this would at most be once a year for them. but then, i live in one of the flattest countries in the world.

I’m not a rich person, but I am able to afford skiing seasonally if I set money aside. Remember the student and military discounts I mentioned. This is not Aspen we’re talking about.

EDIT: I checked on the Boreal website (the ski resort I used to frequent), and the average lift ticket is about $50, although for students and military they run some specials for $15. You’re going to argue over those prices, really?

Flag Post

Google ANY “Benefits of walking”…

That is if ya want to cease being such an ass and really desire to be something other than trollish on this issue. Just as we have pointed out to jake-o MANY TIMES regarding his penchant to believe that his personal anecdotes somehow “prove” something, your PERSONAL sistuation w/ metabolism is quite different than a very huge majority of ppl. How rabidly ignorant does one have to be to not know just how much of a problem weight issues are in America?

OH, just a heads up, Omega….YOU are 29.
Guess what?
It’s right around the age of 30 that most ppl’s metabolism changes dramatically and their “weight issues” begin.
From
“Age
When we get older, our metabolism decreases which makes it more difficult for us to maintain or lose weight. But there are a lot more factors that influence the metabolism. When we turn 30 our physical abilities will decline throughout our life. It depends on your fitness level and your lifestyle how fast the decrease will happen.”

Also, about walking:
“Weight Loss
Walking increases your metabolism and burns calories. This can help you lose or maintain weight. How many calories you burn depends on your walking pace, intensity, duration and your weight. According to Bodybuilding.com, a 160-lb. person burns nearly 300 calories when walking at a pace of 3.5 miles per hour for 60 minutes - and nearly 500 calories when walking with a 4.5-mph pace. If you burn 500 more calories a day than you consume, you can lose 1 lb. of fat per week.”

How utterly stooopid to disparage walking as exercise. PERIOD.
Saying “i doubt calories are really all that they are claimed to be.” is nothing more than a very strong indication that one shouldn’t even be in a discussion involving dietary issues. LIFE itself is all about this thing we call caloric intake. Ask Vanna White if ya can buy a clue.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

Yeah, I don’t know why he did that. I have heard and read medical sources that actually touted walking as a superior form of exercise to running, just because it gets the metabolism up while causing less abrasion and trauma to the joints (as running can). Not that running is bad, but in my experience, walking is a great precursor to running, and sometimes even an end goal if someone does it correctly. The thing to keep in mind is target heart rate, which can easily be achieved in obese to slightly overweight people via walking. This is the zone at which someone is not able to talk comfortably, while at the same time not being totally exhausted and causing muscle damage (an anaerobic rate). Exercise is an individual thing, not a one-size-fits-all.

Flag Post

Hahahha well said

Flag Post
Thats like me telling other people (especially children in math class) that math is not very hard. 90% of its solving puzzles like sudoku.

that’s not a fair comparison. maybe i’m not the one to talk considering i’ve wasted my entire life and plan to continue wasting all the rest of it, but this is still equating skill with discipline. besides, “diet” is often just code for not overeating. the word makes it sound like something difficult that you have to actively do, but it really usually comes down to not being a pig.

1. Your missing the point. The reason rwbstripes finds his dieting so easy is because its actually fun for him. Just like math is actually fun for me.
2. Again overeating is not as easy as you make it sound. For People that have psychological system conditioned on overeating, not overeating is actually something they have to actively do. For them much of the eating part happens subconsciously and physically making or buying a little extra is not that hard. Add in the fact that food can be physically as addictive as smoking and habitually used as a reward and yeah it becomes fucking hard to do.

Flag Post

Are you referring to those who do not have the proper protein to signal when their stomach is full, so the brain has no way of knowing when they’ve had enough, Johnny, or are you referring to another method, please? It sounds like its something purely psychological rather than physical based, from your description of it.

Flag Post

Nice trolling response. I already apologized and qualified that it was the U.S., what more do you fucking want?

I’m not a rich person, but I am able to afford skiing seasonally if I set money aside. Remember the student and military discounts I mentioned. This is not Aspen we’re talking about.

EDIT: I checked on the Boreal website (the ski resort I used to frequent), and the average lift ticket is about $50, although for students and military they run some specials for $15. You’re going to argue over those prices, really?

alright, alright. i wasn’t done spewing when i had the chance. anti-americanism’s got to be my favorite. i drove that too far i’m sorry. i just wanted to clarify the point about the use of “the nation” not specifying a nation but refering to one only the same way “the city” would.

but $50 sounds like too much for a regular exercise. yeah from time to time that would be doable, but exercise is rather pointless if not repeated at the very least weakly.

Google ANY “Benefits of walking”…

That is if ya want to cease being such an ass and really desire to be something other than trollish on this issue. Just as we have pointed out to jake-o MANY TIMES regarding his penchant to believe that his personal anecdotes somehow “prove” something, your PERSONAL sistuation w/ metabolism is quite different than a very huge majority of ppl. How rabidly ignorant does one have to be to not know just how much of a problem weight issues are in America?

OH, just a heads up, Omega….YOU are 29.
Guess what?
It’s right around the age of 30 that most ppl’s metabolism changes dramatically and their “weight issues” begin.
From
“Age
When we get older, our metabolism decreases which makes it more difficult for us to maintain or lose weight. But there are a lot more factors that influence the metabolism. When we turn 30 our physical abilities will decline throughout our life. It depends on your fitness level and your lifestyle how fast the decrease will happen.”

Also, about walking:
“Weight Loss
Walking increases your metabolism and burns calories. This can help you lose or maintain weight. How many calories you burn depends on your walking pace, intensity, duration and your weight. According to Bodybuilding.com, a 160-lb. person burns nearly 300 calories when walking at a pace of 3.5 miles per hour for 60 minutes - and nearly 500 calories when walking with a 4.5-mph pace. If you burn 500 more calories a day than you consume, you can lose 1 lb. of fat per week.”

Saying “i doubt calories are really all that they are claimed to be.” is nothing more than a very strong indication that one shouldn’t even be in a discussion involving dietary issues. LIFE itself is all about this thing we call caloric intake. Ask Vanna White if ya can buy a clue.

well i’m sorry, but when i think of exercise i think of something that uhm, gets your heart-rate up and uhm, potentially makes you sweat some. walking doesn’t sound in any way like exercise…that sounds like something relaxing. i can walk literally for hours without pauze, and without breaking any sweat, and feel completely rested. to me, walking is resting.

and if it’s really all about calories… i just can’t believe a single tiny 100 gram chocolate bar, which i stuff in my throat without knowing if it even reaches my stomach, is really equivalent to a full meal. for some time i ate about 300 gram of chocolate per day, which would be three whole meals worth of calories.
i just think there’s gotta be more to it than a single variable.

Yeah, I don’t know why he did that. I have heard and read medical sources that actually touted walking as a superior form of exercise to running, just because it gets the metabolism up while causing less abrasion and trauma to the joints (as running can). Not that running is bad, but in my experience, walking is a great precursor to running, and sometimes even an end goal if someone does it correctly. The thing to keep in mind is target heart rate, which can easily be achieved in obese to slightly overweight people via walking. This is the zone at which someone is not able to talk comfortably, while at the same time not being totally exhausted and causing muscle damage (an anaerobic rate). Exercise is an individual thing, not a one-size-fits-all.

cycling averts the joint traumas too. walking just doesn’t feel like exercise to me at all.

Originally posted by JohnnyBeGood:

1. Your missing the point. The reason rwbstripes finds his dieting so easy is because its actually fun for him. Just like math is actually fun for me.
2. Again overeating is not as easy as you make it sound. For People that have psychological system conditioned on overeating, not overeating is actually something they have to actively do. For them much of the eating part happens subconsciously and physically making or buying a little extra is not that hard. Add in the fact that food can be physically as addictive as smoking and habitually used as a reward and yeah it becomes fucking hard to do.

that still doesn’t make it equatable to math. the ability to do complicated math is like the ability to reach the top shelf. you have it or you don’t. by equating behavioral patterns to that, you offer a cop out for any responsibility for anything.

yes people have addictive habits that are hard to shake, and i can sympathise with that, but don’t elevate it to something beyond that. for one thing, if i had to lose weight, and i would think of not overeating as doing math beyond my skill, i’d say ‘forget about it’, because that would not be possible.

of course, we should probably look at it as a cultural thing, because that’s mostly what it is anyway.

Flag Post

Omega…how FAST do ya walk?
I’m talking about scooting right along. My wife & I do 4 miles in around 45 min.
Try that and let me know how ya do.
Walk as fast as ya can and take your pulse rate.
If it isn’t elevated enough to be beneficial aerobic exercise, then do what I do, carry weight. I guarantee ya that if I strap a 40 pound backpack on ya…ya’ll sweat and get tired fairly fast. Forty still not enough, try 80. AND, I’m gonna bet ya that ya’ll feel it in your legs the next day after first trying it.

MOST PPL….and stress the point, MOST PPL are able to use their own weight to create sufficient elevation of pulse rate to be of tremendous cardio benefit. ANY exercising is (usually) beneficial. There’s an old saying: use it or lose it. Also, and I can tell ya from my loooong experience of living, there’s another saying that is VERY IMPORTANT: if I’d know I was going to live so long, I’d taken better care of my body.

They young (usually) do very well at “feeling good”.
So, they don’t give much thought to health-benefiting exercise.
BUT, America is becoming extremely (even morbidly) obese each generation…increasingly so.

AND, it really IS ALL ABOUT calories Calories don’t apply to just metabolic dietary issues…..it’s origin is in physics.

If one doesn’t burn (spend) the calories (money) they take in (eat), then they end up w/ with a surplus of money (stored fat…"over"weight). It is really just that simple. One can simply severely limit their intake of calories to the point they have to take “money out of savings” just to function daily. BUT, that sucks a whoooole lot.

So, in comes the concept of INCREASING the spending of “money” (exercising). Call it attacking the problem (being overweight or maintaining a desired one) on two fronts. It makes the whole “eating less” thing easier to do cuz ya don’t have to get as drastic in it in order to obtain results.

Flag Post

Or try walking up stairs…

Flag Post

cycling averts the joint traumas too. walking just doesn’t feel like exercise to me at all.

You must be in great shape then. Walking, at least at a brisk 4.0/hr pace or greater, feels like exercise to me. Keep in mind the target heart rate I mentioned above; maybe you could walk up foothills (hike), or take up race walking

Flag Post

This thread reminded me of an episode in the BBC Horizon series, which claimed that fasting for a couple of days a week can be beneficial not only for your weight but for your overall health as well. Apparently if you fast regularly, it allows your body cells to drop out of grow and reproduce mode into self-repair mode. It may sound a little outlandish, but there was some pretty heavyweight science behind it, and to a layman like me it was very convincing.

Unfortunately that episode is not available at present, but just for fun (and those of you who can stream this), here’s a clip from that programme about the world’s unhealthiest restaurant (obviously in America). Don’t try this at home.

Flag Post
Originally posted by beauval:

This thread reminded me of an episode in the BBC Horizon series, which claimed that fasting for a couple of days a week can be beneficial not only for your weight but for your overall health as well. Apparently if you fast regularly, it allows your body cells to drop out of grow and reproduce mode into self-repair mode. It may sound a little outlandish, but there was some pretty heavyweight science behind it, and to a layman like me it was very convincing.

Unfortunately that episode is not available at present, but just for fun (and those of you who can stream this), here’s a clip from that programme about the world’s unhealthiest restaurant (obviously in America). Don’t try this at home.

There’s nothing wrong with fasting for less than 72 hours.

This is what I ate today (I’m cutting right now, taking in less than 2300 calories a day and lifting every other day and swimming 1000 meters every day)

Breakfast: One serving of oatmeal

Lunch: One peanutbutter sandwich

Dinner: Some veggies, 5 yogurts, and an 8 oz steak

The reason being is that on a cut diet, you should take in low calories, and a moderate amount of protein. I take in 2300 or less calories a day (NO LESS THAN 1600) and 300g of protein. I count every calorie and every protein gram I eat.

After I cut for about 3-4 months, I start bulking! Woohoo!

On bulking diet, I eat 5000 calories a day, 300g of protein a day, and lift like a crazy bastard. After 3 months of bulking (Basically just cramming everything I can down my mouth) I jump back to cutting for 3-4 months. Some people do something different, though, such as bulk 8 months, cut for 4. Bulk 4 months, cut for 8. Bulk 6 months, cut for 6.

My method is easy because when someone cuts (I’m 17% Body fat after just getting off of a bulk diet) they usually drop to about 10% body fat, then when they start bulking, they jump back up to 15% because of the huge caloric intake. Then, you cut again, then you bulk again. So on and so forth until you are pleased and stay at a maintaining intake.

The reason why I do this? To build HUGE muscle mass, without looking like I’m fat.

Don’t even bother trying to do such a thing as cutting / bulking without seeking help from a nutritionist / dietitian and studying. You’ll likely end up messing your body up badly. I’m 6’2 and 187lbs right now, this is a perfect plan specifically for ME, my ACTIVITY LEVEL, my WEIGHT, and SIZE.

Fat or obese people can get along without exercise by doing just two things really: Changing what they eat, and not eating as much.

Flag Post

Omega…how FAST do ya walk?
I’m talking about scooting right along. My wife & I do 4 miles in around 45 min.
Try that and let me know how ya do.
Walk as fast as ya can and take your pulse rate.
If it isn’t elevated enough to be beneficial aerobic exercise, then do what I do, carry weight. I guarantee ya that if I strap a 40 pound backpack on ya…ya’ll sweat and get tired fairly fast. Forty still not enough, try 80. AND, I’m gonna bet ya that ya’ll feel it in your legs the next day after first trying it.

MOST PPL….and stress the point, MOST PPL are able to use their own weight to create sufficient elevation of pulse rate to be of tremendous cardio benefit. ANY exercising is (usually) beneficial. There’s an old saying: use it or lose it. Also, and I can tell ya from my loooong experience of living, there’s another saying that is VERY IMPORTANT: if I’d know I was going to live so long, I’d taken better care of my body.

They young (usually) do very well at “feeling good”.
So, they don’t give much thought to health-benefiting exercise.
BUT, America is becoming extremely (even morbidly) obese each generation…increasingly so.

AND, it really IS ALL ABOUT calories Calories don’t apply to just metabolic dietary issues…..it’s origin is in physics.

If one doesn’t burn (spend) the calories (money) they take in (eat), then they end up w/ with a surplus of money (stored fat…"over"weight). It is really just that simple. One can simply severely limit their intake of calories to the point they have to take “money out of savings” just to function daily. BUT, that sucks a whoooole lot.

So, in comes the concept of INCREASING the spending of “money” (exercising). Call it attacking the problem (being overweight or maintaining a desired one) on two fronts. It makes the whole “eating less” thing easier to do cuz ya don’t have to get as drastic in it in order to obtain results.

alright, if i strap on weight i’m sure i’ll feel it very quickly. your over 8 km per hour also seems quite fast for walking…even ninja only suggests about 6.

also if it’s really all about calories, that means if i leave my warm meal altogether, and instead just eat a 200gr chocolate bar, i’ll gain weight. i just don’t see it happening. i just can’t believe that.

Flag Post

Then simply consider calories as being MONEY.

Your body has the capability of being a savings & loan w/ checking.

Ya put just enough money INTO the checking….(ya eat food) to cover (balance) your typical needs….nothing more, nothing less (on the average).

Ya write yer monthly//daily checks (pay OUT money) for your needs….your standard living//breathing AND the “discretionary” activities. Even sex has a “table” for calories spent in various phases of it.

If ya put in more money (eat more food) than your living expenses for that day…..yer body puts it into the “savings account” (stored as fat).

If ya need to draw out more money from your checking account than ya deposited that month….ya have to dip into the savings account to cover that expenditure of energy.

It’s really very simple math.
YOU are trying to make YOUR own personal body chemistry be the standard for the rest of us.
AND, it appears that ya have a woefully deficient understanding of physiology//anatomy.
Ya really need to listen to vika on this.
Like I said, ya’re very close to 30…..
physiologically, it truly is all “downhill” from there.
Knowing more about the vehicle ya ride around in (your body) will aid ya much in keeping it well tuned and running smoothly for a long while.
Feel blessed that your high metabolic rate spares ya the toils of weight gain from overindulgence of “sinful” foods.