What should NATO's standard-issue pistol cartridge really be? page 5

119 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Well, the idea wasn’t stupid per se, but the way you went about it, was really stupid. Using your own bathroom for an unknown chemical mixture, as opposed to a dedicated lab. Not using reasonable proportions – tipping half an entire bottle in was unnecessary, use just a beakerful.

Lastly, but by no means least, not using protective equipment – gloves, glasses, FACEMASK, was utterly utterly idiotic.

I hope you don’t own any weapons – or potential weapons.

As I understand it, Punisher is trying to find ways of making homemade chemical weapons, to try and use on US troops in his country. So far, he is only dangerous to himself and those misfortunate enough to be around him.

Even if he succeeded, what the hell did he plan to transport the gas in? How did he plan to get it inside the container to begin with?

What gives you this horrible Idea?
To be honest, explosions excite me.
also, there are no us troops in my country at the moment.
Also if I were to do something like that, I will never ever rely on things made by me.

Flag Post

An NBC has a better chance than an explosion does, Punisher. Vehicles, armor, and soldiers’ training are built to withstand shrapnel and blasts. NBC filters take time to set up, and an NBC is very fatal to the respiratory system and other parts of the human body.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rwbstripes:

An NBC has a better chance than an explosion does, Punisher. Vehicles, armor, and soldiers’ training are built to withstand shrapnel and blasts. NBC filters take time to set up, and an NBC is very fatal to the respiratory system and other parts of the human body.

What is NBC?

Flag Post

Nonbiological Chemical

Stuff like chlorine gas, mustard gas, tear gas, etc.

Flag Post
Originally posted by thepunisher52:
Also if I were to do something like that, I will never ever rely on things made by me.

Have a little more faith in yourself. I’m confident of the effectiveness of weapons made by myself – confident enough to actually use them when the situation calls for it. You just need to work on your confidence a bit. Maybe plan things through before you attempt them.

Flag Post

Have a little more faith in yourself. I’m confident of the effectiveness of weapons made by myself – confident enough to actually use them when the situation calls for it. You just need to work on your confidence a bit. Maybe plan things through before you attempt them.

Main thing that shakes my confidence is that unlike you, I am an accountant and the last time I studied sciences (physics, chemistry and biology) was in 10 th grade.
So, I don’t have any skills in that field.
I excelled in chemistry BTW although I loved bio.
Simple weapons are not a problem for me, I once made nunchuks as a teen and knuckle dusters and L shaped baton and a weird boomerang which did not work and a club and sling and bola(some thing like ball and chain your ancestors used)

Flag Post

Sounds interesting. why don’t you elaborate on some of the weapons you have made? I would expect some interesting designs coming from you. Are you still in the UK or did you come home?

BTW, I have finally decided to upgrade my internet and do away with my dial-up. Not I can watch some videos that get posted. One of the first things I want to install on my computer is Google Earth.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

Sounds interesting. why don’t you elaborate on some of the weapons you have made? I would expect some interesting designs coming from you. Are you still in the UK or did you come home?

I’m still in Scotland, and will be for an indeterminite time. I’m making progress in my chosen field, actually making a difference Jhco. That’s something I could not do if I came home. Not unless things radically change with Luke Arm. This country is a hotbead of limb replacement research right now, so it is where I need to be.

None of my designs are firearms, Jhco. I still cannot hold one without the flashbacks coming back, so what would be the point? I could possibly manage if I closed my eyes, turned my head away, and shot blind, but even that would I suspect, take everything I had.

So I tinker in other ways. Thrown weapons, buried weapons, passive defense systems.

For the latter, I’ve rigged up a defensive wall along the western perimeter with three class 4 lasers procured by disassembling old computer hardware, and some use of fibre optic cabling (at £15 per meter, that stuff is not cheap!). That side is where the forested bit is, and there are brambles everywhere. Cut myself a fair bit stringing them up, and taping cables to the trees, but it works. Uninterrupted infrared lasers cross where the brambles are thinnest. Since nobody’s going to be crawling through that lot, they’re about a meter off the ground. Anything breaks the beam, the circuit is cut and a NOT gate is triggered. It flags up a warning inside.

Its a little peace of mind, as there have been hiccups with trespassers between my border and public land along that side.

On a more active front, I have a handheld pain generator, which works rather well. It’s a non-lethal device, but rather unpleasant if you’re in the sights. Its a sonic weapon. 160db at 20khz. Inaudible to the human ear, it’ll drive dogs bananas. Although you can’t hear it, the sound triggers an immediate onset high-power migraine in the human target, and about half the time induces vomiting, as your lunch comes back up to say ‘Hi!’. Basically, its overloading your senses, and forcing screaming feedback into your central nervous system. If I used it at point blank range, it would probably blow your eardrums out – all the while in perfect silence to any human observer not within the focus. Unlike a gun, its not one instant of fire, then reload. This is continuous until the power is cut. Still too heavy to be a practical bag-weapon, sadly.

Given my field, it was a natural that land mines would fascinate me. I actually managed to construct one, using a plastic trifle base, a simple pressure plate apparatus loaded for ten newtons that completed a circut when pressed, and four capacitors from an old PSU. Takes two nine-volt batteries. The electronics are mostly on the bottom (what would be the trifle lid) so there’s a large void for explosive material. Probably a gelignite shaped charge. I’m using a small piece of gelignite as the detonator, as its electro-sensitive – it goes bang when capacitors discharge into it.

I haven’t been able to bring myself to load and bury the damn thing, as I don’t wish to actually blow someone’s leg off. It’ll work however. Tests unloaded with just a detonator have proved that. The trifle case actually works great as part of the mechanism. Because of the shape, wherever you push down, all force is fed to the central plate. Out in the field, this is one that would work even if you just caught the side of it with your boot. Makes them cheap to make too, so long as you have the knowhow to make or source the detonator.

There are quite a few others,but they’re all about as whacky as these. Just because I don’t use guns, doesn’t mean I’m not dangerous.

I have finally decided to upgrade my internet and do away with my dial-up. Not I can watch some videos that get posted. One of the first things I want to install on my computer is Google Earth.

Great to hear! So, does this mean we can expect sources for your arguments, in future?

Flag Post

I’m still in Scotland, and will be for an indeterminite time. I’m making progress in my chosen field, actually making a difference Jhco. That’s something I could not do if I came home. Not unless things radically change with Luke Arm. This country is a hotbead of limb replacement research right now, so it is where I need to be.

None of my designs are firearms, Jhco. I still cannot hold one without the flashbacks coming back, so what would be the point? I could possibly manage if I closed my eyes, turned my head away, and shot blind, but even that would I suspect, take everything I had.

So I tinker in other ways. Thrown weapons, buried weapons, passive defense systems.

For the latter, I’ve rigged up a defensive wall along the western perimeter with three class 4 lasers procured by disassembling old computer hardware, and some use of fibre optic cabling (at £15 per meter, that stuff is not cheap!). That side is where the forested bit is, and there are brambles everywhere. Cut myself a fair bit stringing them up, and taping cables to the trees, but it works. Uninterrupted infrared lasers cross where the brambles are thinnest. Since nobody’s going to be crawling through that lot, they’re about a meter off the ground. Anything breaks the beam, the circuit is cut and a NOT gate is triggered. It flags up a warning inside.

Its a little peace of mind, as there have been hiccups with trespassers between my border and public land along that side.

On a more active front, I have a handheld pain generator, which works rather well. It’s a non-lethal device, but rather unpleasant if you’re in the sights. Its a sonic weapon. 160db at 20khz. Inaudible to the human ear, it’ll drive dogs bananas. Although you can’t hear it, the sound triggers an immediate onset high-power migraine in the human target, and about half the time induces vomiting, as your lunch comes back up to say ‘Hi!’. Basically, its overloading your senses, and forcing screaming feedback into your central nervous system. If I used it at point blank range, it would probably blow your eardrums out – all the while in perfect silence to any human observer not within the focus. Unlike a gun, its not one instant of fire, then reload. This is continuous until the power is cut. Still too heavy to be a practical bag-weapon, sadly.

Given my field, it was a natural that land mines would fascinate me. I actually managed to construct one, using a plastic trifle base, a simple pressure plate apparatus loaded for ten newtons that completed a circut when pressed, and four capacitors from an old PSU. Takes two nine-volt batteries. The electronics are mostly on the bottom (what would be the trifle lid) so there’s a large void for explosive material. Probably a gelignite shaped charge. I’m using a small piece of gelignite as the detonator, as its electro-sensitive – it goes bang when capacitors discharge into it.

I haven’t been able to bring myself to load and bury the damn thing, as I don’t wish to actually blow someone’s leg off. It’ll work however. Tests unloaded with just a detonator have proved that. The trifle case actually works great as part of the mechanism. Because of the shape, wherever you push down, all force is fed to the central plate. Out in the field, this is one that would work even if you just caught the side of it with your boot. Makes them cheap to make too, so long as you have the knowhow to make or source the detonator.

There are quite a few others,but they’re all about as whacky as these. Just because I don’t use guns, doesn’t mean I’m not dangerous.

I have finally decided to upgrade my internet and do away with my dial-up. Not I can watch some videos that get posted. One of the first things I want to install on my computer is Google Earth.

Great to hear! So, does this mean we can expect sources for your arguments, in future?

If I were you, I would just build a wall and fit broken glass bottles on top of it and the a ditch like a meter deep and a meter wide with iron bars setup like punji sticks.
and a live wire on its inner edge.

Flag Post

If I were you, I would just build a wall and fit broken glass bottles on top of it and the a ditch like a meter deep and a meter wide with iron bars setup like punji sticks.

That would be illegal. You have to know your local laws, and work within them.

A live wire would be a really bad idea, unless you wish to go out every other hour, walk the perimeter and remove the dead wildlife before it piles up too badly.

Nevermind the cost in raw electricity for an exposed circuit over a mile in length, enclosing the property.

Flag Post

10mm auto or .45 acp.

Flag Post

That would be illegal. You have to know your local laws, and work within them.

A live wire would be a really bad idea, unless you wish to go out every other hour, walk the perimeter and remove the dead wildlife before it piles up too badly.

Nevermind the cost in raw electricity for an exposed circuit over a mile in length, enclosing the property.

then forget the live wire it still will work very good
also add an old style wire alarm

Flag Post

Punisher, a wall with broken bits of glass on top of it, is illegal as all hell. As soon as the first law enforcement officer sees it, you are a world of trouble.

Flag Post

Punisher, a wall with broken bits of glass on top of it, is illegal as all hell. As soon as the first law enforcement officer sees it, you are a world of trouble.

Well it is not illegal here.
Where you live?

Flag Post

Where you live?

She just said above; she lives in Scotland.

To be honest, explosions excite me.

Pyro.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

Where you live?

She just said above; she lives in Scotland.

Oh I forgot.

Flag Post

All this is interesting and quite ingenious. However, since I don’t have the same background as you I will continue to use the most efficient method of self-defense.

All of these devises are interesting and a few of them are actually deadly. The bare wire across the ground, if it doesn’t blow the breaker it is hooked to would kill, especially in in-climate weather. the laser idea is intriguing and would be worth pursuing deeper. They have a devise similar, but it is for just across driveways or short distances. I take it you have a few poachers come through your area?

The pain generator has been developed by our military but isn’t used, at least not yet. It causes too many side effects.

The land mine idea is workable as you describe it, maybe twilight can get her husband to give you a few ideas on them. I understand he is pretty sharp in that area.

I hope I can travel the internet easier. My kids have been trying everything to get me to get a better internet. I would have changed sooner if they offered money, but they didn’t.

Flag Post

The land mine idea is workable as you describe it, maybe twilight can get her husband to give you a few ideas on them. I understand he is pretty sharp in that area.

Huh? Landmine expert? This is news to me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

Huh? Landmine expert? This is news to me.

I was thinking more along the lines of electronics and the use of them in her project.