Does being a Plus Member hurt developers?

7 posts

Flag Post

I have always loved playing Kongregate because I know that independent developers get a share of the ad revenue every time I visit.

Now I have always read that this is ad revenue, meaning from when ads appear while I play.
However, becoming a plus member removes said ads.

I’ve known this system to come from Gamestop who already has the plus card for their stores to encourage you buy used games rather than new ones. I already know that to hurt developers, so common sense tells me the Kongregate plus membership would do the same thing.

So if I become a Kongregate plus member, thus removing ads, how would the developers earn anything from my visits anymore?

Flag Post

Hurts them no more than someone who isn’t a Kong plus member, surfing with ad blocking software turned on.

But yes, it does nullify the concept of developers earning from adverts placed on the same page.

Also, wouldn’t this have been better if it was posed in the kongregate forum, where developers and site staff regularly check? As opposed to out here in the boondocks of serious discussion where we rarely see representatives of either group?

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Also, wouldn’t this have been better if it was posed in the kongregate forum, where developers and site staff regularly check? As opposed to out here in the boondocks of serious discussion where we rarely see representatives of either group?

Well it’s at least much more resebling of a serious discussion thread than some of the other stuff we’ve been getting lately.

I’m looking at you, gay marriage thread.

Flag Post

I think that since Kong+ guarantees some payment a Kong+ member might actually earn Kong more than the average regular one.

Flag Post

Yes, but as Belain said, it pays Kong money, as opposed to paying the developers of each game visited, a fraction of the fees.

It is possible that Kong tracks which pages you visit, and pays the developers of those games a fraction of the monthly membership fee, though. We certainly know that Kong does track which games you visit and when.

Flag Post

Developers get paid the ad revenue equivalent from the K+ subscription fee.

Thread with info, second paragraph of first post.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NeilSenna:

Developers get paid the ad revenue equivalent from the K+ subscription fee.

Thread with info, second paragraph of first post.

It all depends on how Kong does the math though.

Before K+, I’m 99% confident it worked like this: All ad revenue from game pages was totaled up, and then distributed proportionally. So say Kong made a total of a million dollars of ad revenue off 500,000,000 total gameplays. If a game of mine had 20,000 game plays, I would have then received $1,000,000(20,000 / 500,000,000) = $40. So even if everyone who played my game used ad-blocking software, I’d get the same money as if they hadn’t. the only thing using ad-blocking software does is deduct from the total ad revenue, which will cause every developer to lost a tiny bit of money.

Now, K+ comes in. All of the sudden things become more complicated. If a user plays a game with K+, do they take a fraction of a cent out of the K+ revenue column and toss it into the ad revenue column? From what I can tell, Kongregate does something like this. However, it’s possible they could just do it as I described above, and a K+ user is just like a user using ad-blocking software. In this case, K+ would cause developers to earn a little less money then if K+ didn’t exist. Realistically, I’m betting the overall number of K+ users is pretty small, and that it hardly affects ad revenue. I can’t say for certain without real numbers though.