Chicken or egg

50 posts

Flag Post

Hey guys not long ago I posted about wether I should eat chicken or eggs which got me thinking…. What came first the chicken or the egg? I say the most logical explanation is neither and it was formed from some tiny cells or something and slowly evolved into a bird like creature that lays eggs. What do you think??

Flag Post

There were egg laying creature long before there were any birds. I never understood what fascinates people about such an obvious question.

Flag Post

I think this belongs in OT rather than SD as it has been answered by the very first reply and there is no further questioning, reasoning or debate to be gained from it

Flag Post

well, i don’t think that makes done with it yet. however, it is a good point. it may be seen as a smart ass response, because what is meant by “chicken or egg” is obviously “chicken or chicken egg”…

but then that is the way you should pose the question, or you’re asking the question wrong and EPR’s response is your awsner. so, then we’re left with “what was first, the chicken, or the chicken egg”, which of course includes a hint on how to solve this dilemma.

we have two different objects, “chicken” and “chicken egg”, of which the latter is defined only by relation to the former. so then we could define the former to get an idea about when there first was a “chicken”, which is simply cladistic biology question. however, exact definition is not necessary.

whatever border we invent, there will be one (or rather two) not-chicken predecessor of the chicken, that lays an egg, out of which the first “chicken” is born. (this is very simplistic however, but that doesn’t really matter. it’s funny how the other stupid thread dealt with just this question)

so then obviously the question is, when do we call an egg a “chicken egg”; or rather, do we name the egg after the species it was layed by, or the species of animal that births from it?

if i’m not mistaken the DNA of the egg is the same as the DNA of the chick inside; not the DNA of the mother. so that means that clearly the egg should be classed a “chicken egg” if the chick is a chicken; not if the parent is a chicken.

therefor, the egg came first.

Flag Post

The egg.
Unless you consider some creature that wouldn’t be considered a chicken a egg.

Look at some small fish pond for example.
You know, the ones that have a constant war between fish and all that. It’s just a example, there was some documentary on it.
Well what happens.

They develop new strategies or adaptations to protect/steal/kill or whatever they need to do to survive.
Before the chicken, there was a egg.
Before the egg, there was another creature that was like what most people consider a chicken.
Before that creature there was something else. Was it born? Was it hatched?

It could of been born, but had to start hatching eggs instead of just birthing them.
So the egg.

And even if you go by “evolution is a myth”, it still would still most likely be the egg.
Unless you know, the chicken just blew up of mid air. Which would be possible, but it’s highly unlikely.

Flag Post

Chicken, though this is a bit of a over-technical answer. The chicken is the domesticated Red Jungle Fowl. So when the first Red Jungle Fowl was caught the chicken was ‘created’. But If you ask what came first the Red Jungle Fowl or the egg then it’s the Egg as people have explained above.

Flag Post

^wow, god damnit, you beat me.

you’re absolutely right, seems both the dictionary and encyclopedic definition of “chicken” is the domestic descendent of the red jungle fowl, not a species of its own, and since i don’t think you can domesticate eggs, it’s the fowl that was “turned” into a chicken.

i never considered that. pig, cat, goat, sheep and horse seem to just be the species name, but like dog, chicken is only the domestic variant.

well that settles it. what a simple answer…i can’t believe this is the first time i ever seen anyone bring it up. unbelievable.

……though, come to think of it, when is it called a “chicken”? is that, as soon as it’s held captive, or only as soon as it’s tamed, or…maybe you call the first egg layed in captivity so it’s basically born in captivity a chicken… hmmm

Flag Post
Originally posted by EPR89:

There were egg laying creature long before there were any birds. I never understood what fascinates people about such an obvious question.

wraymond (lol) wants to know the conjuction ring from bacterias to the first fish-water animal.. if was a fish-water animal to drop the first egg.. etc etc ZZZzzzzzzzZZzzz.

Flag Post

The egg. The <insert>’s ancestors were much simpler species like bacteria. As the lifeforms became more complex, simple division was not enough. So evolution turned to what is now common reproductive abilities to produce young. At first, you could hardly call the offspring what they are today, but they still came form an egg after their bodies became more complex. They were probably similar to their parents who were born of different means, but were the first of their species to be born form eggs. As time marched on, the animals that were born from eggs would produce more eggs, and soon there is what we have now.

Flag Post

I believe God made chickens, and they laid eggs.

Flag Post

Hahaha! (Hearty laugh) We should all know that this question has nothing to do with a Chicken or an Egg! The anwser is simple; A circle has no end.

Flag Post

“black” or “caucasian” has to do with ethnic ancestory, not color.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MaTTyTL:

Hahaha! (Hearty laugh) We should all know that this question has nothing to do with a Chicken or an Egg! The anwser is simple; A circle has no end.

Except it isn’t a circle.

Flag Post

Egg. The change in genetics occurs with each egg that is laid, so whatever was the first animal with “chicken” genes began in its egg. The genes don’t change anymore after the egg is laid.

Flag Post
Originally posted by congregate5:

Egg. The change in genetics occurs with each egg that is laid, so whatever was the first animal with “chicken” genes began in its egg. The genes don’t change anymore after the egg is laid.

+1

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:

I believe we are all bunny rabbits but we are disguised by a giant banana.
Why does our ‘beliefs’ always have to enter discussions to the point of: Disprove it…. I can’t. It’s true then.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ima_noob:
Originally posted by MyTie:

I believe we are all bunny rabbits but we are disguised by a giant banana.
Why does our ‘beliefs’ always have to enter discussions to the point of: Disprove it…. I can’t. It’s true then.

Sorry Why do*

Flag Post

Chicken and egg sandwhich anyone?

Flag Post

Yes, chickens evolved. Now that we’ve cleared that up, where is this sandwich everyone’s been talking about?

I’m hungry!

Flag Post

Not to Chuck Norris

A circle has an end if you break it. I think you mean a circle has no beginning.

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

Not to Chuck Norris

A circle has an end if you break it. I think you mean a circle has no beginning.

So, where do circles come from?

Flag Post

Circle as in a physical circle(made of metal etc.), the concept of a circle or a circular object?

Flag Post

Are you dumb?
It’s obvious the egg came first, there were chicken ancestrals thaid laid eggs waaaay before chicken came to be how we know them to be now.

Flag Post
Originally posted by helltank:

Circle as in a physical circle(made of metal etc.), the concept of a circle or a circular object?

Does it really matter if we are talking plane geometry or solid geometry….a circle is a circle.

Flag Post

There’s no way one can exist without the other one existing in the first place. It’s an endless loop, a trick question.
One of the many mysteries of life, eh?