If you were in charge of your country..... page 3

59 posts

Flag Post

Darver, what exactly do you think the government does with the taxes it collects?

Most of it is used to pay for various services, the most obvious of which are the wages of the people who work for the government. If the government is printing money to pay these people with, then they are increasing the money supply, because these people will need to spend the money they earn to live.

Flag Post

How much money the government is collecting from people…in terms of the gross domestic product is the lowest in 60 years.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NaturalReject:
Originally posted by Darver:

What I mean is, if it replaces taxes, the money supply would stay roughly the same as it was before, thus no inflation, logically.

If the money supply stays the same, what’s the reason for creating more money?

People always complain about damn tax, the idea was to find a way to get rid of it.

However, Ketsy makes a good point, I’ll need to rethink the money.

Flag Post

People always complain about damn tax, the idea was to find a way to get rid of it.

I’m just curious, what point do you think I have been trying to make?

Flag Post
Originally posted by NaturalReject:

I’m just curious, what point do you think I have been trying to make?

For the whole time I was entirely sure, to be honest.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

If I was in charge of the local country? Increase funding to the police, increase funding to the NHS. Start a comprehensive overhaul of the education system, and do away with the ‘teach to the test’ mentality. Do away with the ‘preparing the kids for the industrial revolution’ mentality. Look at ways to properly utilise technology in the classroom, and properly utilise fun to get high absorbtion rates from th kids. Concentration on individually tailored lesson plans. Split the teacher’s job into two positions: One person to maintain discipline in the class, the other to teach.

With the NHS, save money by tackling health tourism with a ruthless approach. Increase funding for front-line workers, look to save money on the beaurocratic backend.

Implement a secondary GMC for non-doctor professionals – paramedics, nurses, medical technicians. Currently if a doctor screws up, the GMC will bracket them and protect them from harm. That needs to be lessened. If they screw up too often, they go. A good way to do that is with a secondary medical council for the other workers.

Cut tax breaks for the rich out of the equation completely, and restore full DLA for those in need of it. Institute a program looking at getting them back into work and providing the necessary modifications. Up the working hours cap on incapacity to something more reasonable. 150 hours per week should do it.

Cut the amount of paperwork the police have to do. Mandate surveilance cameras on police helmets, to watch for violations from both sides. Cut staff from the beaurocratic backend. Modernise their equipment, and deal with the departmental infighting by stricter oversights.

VikaTae, I officially admire you.

Flag Post

Tax carbon emissions, and an educational rewrite along the lines of zachary’s post a while back.

Flag Post
Originally posted by fractalman:

Tax carbon emissions, and an educational rewrite along the lines of zachary’s post a while back.

Yea. Our privatized schools are the top in the world, yet our public schools are absolutely horrible when compared to countries like Singapore. We have such a huge intellectual gap in this country.

Flag Post
Originally posted by slasher:
Originally posted by fractalman:

Yea. Our privatized schools are the top in the world, yet our public schools are absolutely horrible when compared to countries like Singapore. We have such a huge intellectual gap in this country.

Heh. And the whole “no child left behind” disaster.

Did I mention I have this (possibly naive) idea about teaching, say, second or third graders how to factor and foil quadratics?