First Contact

17 posts

Flag Post

What do you think will happen when/if we make first contact with aliens? This is if our government has told us that they have had communications with them through radio.

I think that some religions would lose credibility very quickly. Many people would be very paranoid, some might even hide in bomb shelters. Everyone will be confused on whether to trust them or not.

There may be more talk of having a one world order so the earth can fight as one if we happen to be invaded. NASA would instantly shoot through the roof with funding. Overall I can see it as being a really tense situation.

Flag Post

Yeah, Sikes, it would probably be all those things. About the religion—I think some people would cling to their religions even harder, and there might be a surge in Church attendance as people integrate the information and search for understanding.

I think the government would probably handle the contact with aliens, with a lot of help from the National Guard and the Department of Defense. Maybe the need for troops would go up again, rather than the drawdown we have going on now. I think the officials would probably release a TV message telling people not to panic, have a basic protocol to follow, and smooth things over diplomatically, etc. etc.

And I assume when you say “aliens”, you are talking about humanoid intelligent beings, not microbial or plant life. Because the latter wouldn’t cause too much of a stir.

Flag Post

I don’t think that if we meet aliens they will be enemies.
Would Earth forces attack mars if they found aliens there?
I don’t think so, they probably would try to communicate and let it alone.

Flag Post

I think the government would probably handle the contact with aliens, with a lot of help from the National Guard and the Department of Defense.

That of course assumes the aliens would naturally choose America as their first point of contact. They may have other ideas.

Flag Post

That of course assumes the aliens would naturally choose America as their first point of contact. They may have other ideas.

I doubt the alien’s decision will matter. If a spacefaring species does make contact, you can bet America will muscle in, regardless of who they are here to contact.

Flag Post

America spends far more money looking at the night sky for aliens than anything else does, so it would probably be them to make first contact. though the aliens might choose another culture less known to be xenophobic and paranoid, or to use “preemptive” violence.

but how big of an impact this will be totally depends on the means of contact. if we can actually verbally communicate, they could have so much affect on us scientifically and therefor technologically and therefor politically, it could be desastrous for our international relations. but if they play their hands right, i don’t think much will happen.

i don’t think religion will change much. it didn’t when we discovered the Americas, so i don’t think it will when we make another First Contact. paranoia and wonder and all that, yeah, but what are you gonna do with that?

rednecks will store even more guns and such like, but other than that, i think life would go on. there’d just be a lot of discussion about what we want to know from them and such and so forth. assuming “hey” is all we get, at any rate.

it would fuel and ruin some conspiracy theories though.

Flag Post

Dear Planet –
Please don’t dissect the first aliens you find, unless they attempt to decapitate you first.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by cesarcurado:

I don’t think that if we meet aliens they will be enemies.
Would Earth forces attack mars if they found aliens there?
I don’t think so, they probably would try to communicate and let it alone.

I feel the opposite might occur. Assuming those aliens think like humans and are forever on the hunt for resources, I feel they would be likely to attack us. Why? Because if they manage to come from their home to our planet, but our planet is not capable of reaching them, I feel it would make perfect sense for them to attack our planet and take our resources due to our low ability to retaliate. History has shown us many times how the strong will exploit the weak that has little or no methods of retaliation.

Flag Post

Not sure how religion will go down the pan, Aliens, like clothes, aren’t really mentioned in the Bible/holy books. Religious people still wear clothes, they’ll probably be cool with aliens. How they’ll get through via radio I don’t know. Maybe dem aliens don’t have radios, or speak English. Communication will be a problem. Which will not be good when it comes to the trust issue.

NASA may get more funding, but seeing as they scrapped the space shuttle I doubt they’ll put it to any good use. Although, chances are the aliens are gonna be scared of us as well, as they won’t know about us either. So it’ll probably be more or less two civilisations shitting themselves with fear.

Unless it’s a Spaniards and the Aztecs situation where they have some fancy shit and blow us all up.

Flag Post

There will be no fights. They are the Gods, we are less than bugs compared to them.

THE END? lol

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sikesalicous:

What do you think will happen when/if we make first contact with aliens? This is if our government has told us that they have had communications with them through radio.

I think that some religions would lose credibility very quickly. Many people would be very paranoid, some might even hide in bomb shelters. Everyone will be confused on whether to trust them or not.

There may be more talk of having a one world order so the earth can fight as one if we happen to be invaded. NASA would instantly shoot through the roof with funding. Overall I can see it as being a really tense situation.

First of yes, I think the chances of any goverment actually telling it’s people about the chance of extra terrestrial contact would most likely keep it secret, unless they have no other choice, or maybe at that stage it may be considered alright to tell us.
The religions thing in that I’m not actually sure, it could go in a lot of directions. I mean they could lose their credibility, or they might “change the rules a bit” and the next thing you know you have a great excuse for them to just move on as always. After all lots of groups of religions are already preparing for something like that with the things they say and do. like this for an example.
The paranoid people thing, yea, but also crazies that will run up at ships and think welcoming them with firecrackers and cases of beer too, as well as the indifferent.
“There may be more talk of having a one world order” In the state we are in now! that almost made me laugh so hard I fell of my chair.
And then there’s the last thing I’d like to say, who says the damn aliens would choose America as the place they want to land anyway. they could position themselves across the earth, or take on an entirely different country. If that’s the case before NASA can do anything they need permission, otherwise what they might do wrong could influence the entire planet.

Flag Post
I think the officials would probably release a TV message telling people not to panic, have a basic protocol to follow, and smooth things over diplomatically, etc. etc.

Yeah right, Twilight.

How many times in History have they hidden stuff? Philidelphia Experiment, Roswell, etc.

I sincerely doubt that would happen unless the secret is leaked.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DragonArcherZ:
I think the officials would probably release a TV message telling people not to panic, have a basic protocol to follow, and smooth things over diplomatically, etc. etc.

Yeah right, Twilight.

How many times in History have they hidden stuff? Philidelphia Experiment, Roswell, etc.

I sincerely doubt that would happen unless the secret is leaked.

Were either of those ever true though? You state them like they are facts of things the US government has covered up, when it is equally easy to state them as just conspiracy theories

I’m not saying governments don’t lie, or keep secrets from the people, but those are a rather poor choice of example as neither were ever proved to anyone who doesn’t wear a tin foil hat all day

Flag Post

The only thing we could do is bow down to our new overlords and do whatever they want us to do.
Bomb shelters won’t help us, nothing will.

Of course the government being the almost always highly aggressive thing it loves being, it’d most likely not be so passive to them.
Being the secretive thing most governments tend to be, I’d say they wouldn’t say anything about them or they would say something about them, but lie saying they’re testing something.

If a alien civilization can travel to us or stumble upon us, there’s nothing we could do against them.
They aren’t coming in without knowing what they’re getting into.
So anything but fresh chemical/biological weapons would be useless.

Even those would be fairly useless and wouldn’t be worth the chance.
All it’d do is piss them off and (maybe) kill/injure a few of them.

Religion would most likely stay the same considering almost everyone believes that some aliens do exist somewhere.
The only change would be a new religion based off of our new alien visitors once the news breaks.

It’s highly unlikely that they wouldn’t understand us, know about all our weapons and all our viruses/illnesses.
To make it worse, if they have the power to come to us, they will also have many things making it literally impossible to defeat them.

It’d be in their hands.
Harvest us, treat us like pets or simply take a quick stop.
There’s nothing we could do besides let them go as they please.

It’s like if a swat team went into a elementary school and started shooting everyone and everything they see, the kids couldn’t do anything besides panic and suffer. The adults might try and say no don’t do this, we’ll do anything you want, but that won’t matter.