Solution For Euro Crisis

19 posts

Flag Post

hello, i got a solution for the euro crisis. greece should sell all their islands and cyprus to turkey and west islands to albania. then they will have enough money to pay off their debts to the banks and to european union. and then there will be peace again. share here ur ideas and discuss what u think about my idea.

Flag Post

How do you know that this will be enough?

Flag Post

Quick question who is going to lend those countries the money they need to buy these Islands?

Flag Post
Originally posted by thijser:

Quick question who is going to lend those countries the money they need to buy these Islands?

dude, those countries got enough money to buy the islands.

Flag Post

Dear god, I don’t know where to begin.

greece should sell all their islands and cyprus

What about the people who live there? Are they to be sold off too?

to turkey and west islands to albania.

Why would Turkey want to buy them? They already control northern Cyprus anyway. And Albania? Are you serious. There’s hardly enough spare cash in Albania to pay for a two week holiday in Greece, let alone buy part of it.

then they will have enough money to pay off their debts to the banks and to european union.

That depends on how much money they got, and how much compensation they would have to pay to the residents.

and then there will be peace again.

Is there a war raging in Greece that I haven’t noticed?

You are overlooking the financial problems in Portugal and Ireland (both fairly unimportant in the great scheme of things) and Italy and Spain (both very important). With Berlusconi threatening to make a comeback, there’s no telling what might happen in Italy in the coming months.

It might be a better idea to force Greece to stop lying about its finances, and for the EU to stop pretending to believe them. If the EU made an effort to find all those billions which have gone missing over the years, they would have plenty of money to sort out Greece’s problem.

Flag Post

Any short term ‘solution’ is going to have no real effect unless there are serious governmental reforms in Greece. Else they will just fritter away whatever money they gain, and they will be in exactly the same situation as now, a year down the line.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheLoneLucas:

How do you know that this will be enough?

Cuz OT will buy them lolz

This is an OT “Mayan end of SD thread” ignore it

Flag Post

They’re in a sense doing this – I would point you to their privatization plan:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/desperate-bid-to-cut-deficit-greek-privatization-plan-faces-massive-domestic-resistance-a-767199.html

This is an older article, but it was the first thing Google threw at me and I couldn’t be bothered to scroll further down.

Flag Post

That article illustrates the wishful thinking that pervades Greece. It’s all a bit reminiscent of Margaret Thatcher, who privatised several government institutions. In some cases, notably telecoms, it worked well, and with the advent of mobile phones competition is intense and prices are kept affordably low. It also enabled a sleeping giant (British Telecom) to go out and pull in some very big contracts from around the world. But in other industries like water and the railways it has turned out to be a bit of a shambles. If the Greeks rush into this to make a fast buck, they’re storing up another heap of problems a few years down the line.

I dug up this article from the NY Times. The first two paragraphs neatly summarise the Greek problem – nobody in government has done anthing properly for decades, and now they’re up to their ears in shit their options are limited.

But Greece is not the big problem. If the EU cut them adrift tomorrow, the storm would soon pass. The big players in this drama are Italy and Spain, because not even the mighty German economy has the money to prop them up. If what I understand to be a monstrous cash flow problem in those two countries turns into outright insolvency, then the Eurozone, that is the Euro currency not the EU, will implode spectacularly. For me, it can’t come a moment too soon, as it would inject a hefty dose of reality into the corridors of power in Brussels, but I would hate to see two substantial economies disintegrate in order to make that happen.

Flag Post

I think greece threw those billions in a well.

Flag Post

Not Greece’s billions, the EU’s billions. I can’t vouch for every accusation made in this video, but I do know that no auditor has been prepared to sign off the EU’s annual accounts for well over a decade because of the huge amounts of money which are not accounted for. The whole organisation is founded on greed, corruption and lack of accountability – both financial and political.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Rolby:

hello, i got a solution for the euro crisis. greece should sell all their islands and cyprus to turkey and west islands to albania. then they will have enough money to pay off their debts to the banks and to european union. and then there will be peace again. share here ur ideas and discuss what u think about my idea.

oh christ not this idiot again.

Flag Post

When British Telecom was privatised they fired their whole Research and Development team (the same T-Mobile did in Germany) and they stopped maintaining their network. While they still got the income from licensing all the research that was done before. Great Britain was once absolutely leading in this field. Until 1982, when the roll-out of the telephone-book-terminals was stopped. Which was de-facto residential Internet! (The universities already had something similar to the Internet deployed.)

It’s actually pretty obvious that the USA wanted to stop this, because they had their own networks (namely MSN and AOL) that needed protection. Although MSN was delayed for over 10 years, because they had massive problems with their protocol. They thought that 256 addresses per node will be enough and every DSLAM gets his own MSN-server. Didn’t worked well, to say the least. But to defend Microsoft, at this time much more DSLAMs were planned. They didn’t knew, that there will be hardly a DSLAM with less then 2500 residential-lines present. And that their customers are at very most 0.5km from the DSLAM away is also pretty rare. Even in London you sometimes have 4-5 kilometres, which means 2MBit/s down / 500KBit/s up at most. That are the customers that BT gave up and now either have a cable provider, LTE or bad luck.

And by the way, the big development also never happened in the USA and other countries. Instead the Internet leaked into the residential market over narrowband. And in 1982 the VDSL-technology was available! (49Mbit/s down, 8Mbit/s up, not shared) That’s something many Internet User can only dream about at the moment. 1995 MSN was finally released in a hurry. I’m not a expert on AOL, so I can’t say anything about them. <sarcasm>But the MSN was great</sarcasm>: You only had few sites where you have to pay a monthly fee per site as subscription. Or you install Novel and you get a lot of sites plus every single site of the MS-Network for free. Needless to say, that the MSN didn’t last for long. And now in 2012 GB is finally at the same point as in 1982: Right before the roll-out of VDSL. But they have problems with the aged copper-network and a Backbone that is at it’s very limit.

Flag Post

Agreed, the old BT copper network is struggling, but the privatisation allowed other operators to start up, which was the thinking behind it. Many have now bitten the dust, but others have entered the arena. The fibre optic network started by Cable and Wireless and now in the hands of Virgin Media is available to the majority of the population, and this has prompted BT to start laying their own cables and offer a competitive service. Dial-up services are almost a thing of the past in the UK, as only a tiny minority see them as being desirable. Competition between fibre optics and Sky satellite services means that good deals are available to consumers for HD and other television services.

It has been a rocky road, but the phone/broadband/TV consumer now has a wide choice of packages available at competitive prices, so for my money privatising BT was an overall success. The same goes for the mobile networks. Without privatisation, BT would have claimed everything, and we’d all still be paying premium rates for calls instead of getting virtually unlimited calls and texts (whatever they are) all wrapped up in one monthly payment.

Flag Post

Strip their land of natural resources, allocating a percentage value to each sector, based on the amount of natural resources in each area. Sell the rights to harvest the resources out to private industry, setting the price to twice the national debt, divided up by percentage between all of the harvest-able sectors. Dump all public pensions, and sell off all industry to private enterprise. Deregulate everything. Turn into a capitalistic utopia, with the same surplus as they once had in debt. Small streamlined government, booming industry. Have those resource sector rights expire after 20 years, and then resell them every 20 years, for the same amount, adjusted for inflation. Live like hogs.

Flag Post

The 30 year old BT copper network is pretty much everything Great Britain has for their last mile. The big majority of services advertised as “fibre power” use a regular copper subscriber line. And norrowband is data over voice over data. Or data over voice if the lines aren’t digitalised, which in GB was often delayed until the late 90s. Norrowband only exist, because telecommunication companies were unable to prevent dial in, because they couldn’t tell the difference between this and a regular phone call with the equipment of this time. And the pressure from the general public was also pretty heavy, so at some point the gave up and provided DSL. There a few high-speed projects, but they are only showcases.

LTE is a shared medium, that is pretty much used up by Smartphones alone. Beam radios also have their limits, if you don’t want to barbecue someone. Satellite are no competition, even with the weak other choices GB has at the moment. Also, EuroCore simple can’t handle much more data and the maintenance-tunnels are not thick enough for more fibre-cables. Most ISP try to avoid routing over GB for this reason. They all route over Sweden and Sweden earns a lot of money with this service.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:

Strip their land of natural resources, allocating a percentage value to each sector, based on the amount of natural resources in each area.
Sell the rights to harvest the resources out to private industry, setting the price to twice the national debt, divided up by percentage between all of the harvest-able sectors.

Excluding environment protection zones there are no natural resources left to sell. The existing resources are already claimed by others. Even if you were to confiscate the land/resources and sell it, you would not get enough to cover the current debt and this would give investors 2 reasons to not buy such sectors. 1. If the Greece government can take away the resources and resell them, whats from stopping them doing it again. 2. The offer is not worth it any ways.

Dump all public pensions, and sell off all industry to private enterprise. Deregulate everything. Turn into a capitalistic utopia, with the same surplus as they once had in debt. Small streamlined government, booming industry. Have those resource sector rights expire after 20 years, and then resell them every 20 years, for the same amount, adjusted for inflation. Live like hogs.

Greece was closer to a capitalistic utopia than any other country in EU. What taxes and regulation they had where only being paid by the honest dummies, every one else cheated and cheating was made easy. So your basic suggestion is only getting rid of the social/expending side of the government.
Which basically just means inviting civil war, which is anything but good for the economy. It turns the promised capitalistic utopia into a capitalistic nightmare.

Flag Post

@MyTie The amount of deregulation and tax dodging in Greece is absolutely obscene. I have no problem with the deregulation of an economy but what happened in Greece is utterly ridiculous. More regulation and a more efficient bureacracy is the answer in Greece because no country can be run like Greece has and survive for long.
My personal solution would be to cut Greece and potentially Italy and Spain from the Eurozone although I shudder to think what would happen if Italy went down. To save the whole you must cut off the diseased parts, eventually southern Europe will figure it out and could rejoin the Eurozone but it will be a long and hard process.

Flag Post

OP’s solution is useless. Greece has a similar economy to those of many African countries. Injecting more money will do nothing. The problem is ingrained.

Furthermore, the current Greek government is composed in its majority by a neonazi party. Their extreme right-wing, anti-immigrant, etc., policies can only debilitate their current economy.