Events which are perfect for terrorist attacks?

64 posts

Flag Post

I couldn’t help but think of New Year’s Eve in Times Square. The reason why this came to mind is because yesterday, someone mentioned 9/11 and started rambling about our nation’s security. I don’t know if NYC would be able to handle taking another hit, and I honestly have no clue what type of security, if any, they have going on during such event.

What I want to know is, are there any measures being taken to make sure a certain location with a large amount of people has the proper security, or the best one available, to keep them as safe as possible?

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkenedThoughts:

I couldn’t help but think of New Year’s Eve in Times Square. The reason why this came to mind is because yesterday, someone mentioned 9/11 and started rambling about our nation’s security. I don’t know if NYC would be able to handle taking another hit, and I honestly have no clue what type of security, if any, they have going on during such event.

What I want to know is, are there any measures being taken to make sure a certain location with a large amount of people has the proper security, or the best one available, to keep them as safe as possible?

Son, terrorism is like weeds, you can kill em but they’ll grow back.
The objective of a terrorrist is not to kill or maim, it is to spread as much as fear and terror hence the name.
It can plan an elobrate plane crash, or go in a theater and hold it hostage or shoot people at an air port or detonate a bomb somewhere or go on a road rage or on a serial killing spree. In a nut shell, any thing that spreads the fear and panic the most.

Flag Post

The security’s present, Darkened. Quite a fair bit of it too. Quite a few sniffers present, lots of bodies on the ground are cops both plainclothed and in uniform. There are officers on the CCTV, along with automated search systems looking for anything suspicious. An impressive amount of secure radio chatter is being bounced back and forth at such events.

The local FIR will be staffed and on alert, with a senior officer present to make calls with the necessary rank and clout should anything occur.

Flag Post

There’s plenty of security there. But it also depends on, if you’re a terrorist, how you’d attack.

If you went with the United States’ favourite, drone strikes, it would be easy to kill thousands at such an event. Or at least a couple of dozen, which is how many people are killed by American drone strikes usually.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:

There’s plenty of security there. But it also depends on, if you’re a terrorist, how you’d attack.

If you went with the United States’ favourite, drone strikes, it would be easy to kill thousands at such an event. Or at least a couple of dozen, which is how many people are killed by American drone strikes usually.

Oh u silly filly, everyone knows that The Greatest Country in HistoryTM can do no wrong and can’t kill anyone who didn’t first err The Holeiness.

Flag Post

You wouldn’t even need a drone. Basic black powder rockets are piss-easy to make. Not very accurate, but they don’t need to be. Park a stolen truck a half mile from the event, loaded with fifty or sixty home-made rockets with embedded nails on a home-made scaffold. Cover the whole thing with a tarp so it looks like a generic covered load.

Park up, set the timer and leave. The rockets launch, covering an area in random destruction. Second timer immolates the truck to destroy the evidence.

Even one such truck would have a devastating effect. Its not about how many it kills, but about the chaos it causes.

Park two or three at random locations around the perimeter and set them to go off on different timers for maximum pandemonium.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

You wouldn’t even need a drone. Basic black powder rockets are piss-easy to make. Not very accurate, but they don’t need to be. Park a stolen truck a half mile from the event, loaded with fifty or sixty home-made rockets with embedded nails on a home-made scaffold. Cover the whole thing with a tarp so it looks like a generic covered load.

Park up, set the timer and leave. The rockets launch, covering an area in random destruction. Second timer immolates the truck to destroy the evidence.

Even one such truck would have a devastating effect. Its not about how many it kills, but about the chaos it causes.

Park two or three at random locations around the perimeter and set them to go off on different timers for maximum pandemonium.

If I am not mistaken, this is an IRA tactic with one difference of using rockets instead of mortars.
but rather than goin through all that trouble.
Go drug cartel style, use a car bomb (given you are so much dedicated to your cause to risk your life for it)
On a side note, troubles are starting again in Ireland (not the troubles, rather just troubles)

Flag Post

You’d have to get your vehicle into the celebratory site itself, which would be much more difficult. It would be utterly pointless blowing yourself up against the security cordon outside, now wouldn’t it? How would you plan to get past that? A car is a bit of a difficult thing to sneak through.

Flag Post

I’d use a Tsunami Bomb

(Not really, just an interesting news story)

Flag Post

You’d have to get your vehicle into the celebratory site itself, which would be much more difficult. It would be utterly pointless blowing yourself up against the security cordon outside, now wouldn’t it? How would you plan to get past that? A car is a bit of a difficult thing to sneak through.

Well this depends on the situation.
If its a rally etc a car bomb can be very effective.
Or you can go full marriott

Flag Post

The situation presented was a new years celebration, where there are thousands of people in Times Square. You’re not going to be able to drive a car right into the square, and anything parked nearby beforehand will have been checked. How are you going to deal with that situation?

Flag Post

The situation presented was a new years celebration, where there are thousands of people in Times Square. You’re not going to be able to drive a car right into the square, and anything parked nearby beforehand will have been checked. How are you going to deal with that situation?

Give me all the details about that event and i will cook up few scenarios.
Here is a video of marriot blast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYZnZvMx9PA
Any ways, even if roads are blocked, one can kill many pedestrians and police personel with a blast because obviously, blockades will not be with out guards and there still will be people around.
Also, as I have stated before, a terrorrists objective is to spread terror, it does not matter if bomb goes off earlier, it still will spread terror.

Flag Post

Hatred. Any kind of national hatred can make terrorism happen. It doesnt matter how much security you got, or how much money, resources, etc.
If you insulted me last friday, and I really had no patience with you (for either good or bad reasons) then I would love to make you afraid of me. All it takes are a couple proper “burns” and suddenly I feel better. It’s like that in government. Except instead of burns, they use bombs and terrorists.
Now, if you think it’s easy for one country to not “insult” another, imagine being stuck in a classroom with 100 other students, a desk for each of you. Soon enough, sides will be taken, social groups formed, and sooner than you can say “what did you just say to me?!?” all hell can break loose.

Flag Post
Originally posted by hangman95:

Hatred. Any kind of national hatred can make terrorism happen. It doesnt matter how much security you got, or how much money, resources, etc.
If you insulted me last friday, and I really had no patience with you (for either good or bad reasons) then I would love to make you afraid of me. All it takes are a couple proper “burns” and suddenly I feel better. It’s like that in government. Except instead of burns, they use bombs and terrorists.
Now, if you think it’s easy for one country to not “insult” another, imagine being stuck in a classroom with 100 other students, a desk for each of you. Soon enough, sides will be taken, social groups formed, and sooner than you can say “what did you just say to me?!?” all hell can break loose.

You pretty much summed it up nicely.
Terrorism, can not be stopped, they will find one way, or the other to hurt.

Flag Post

Unrealated maybe, but “…blood need not be shed to spread fear. Just a clever word can set off an unexpected herd.”. Simply making rumours like “Hey, I heard someone is going to bomb us, and the govt. is purposely not doing anything!” can start riots, and the only deaths will be caused by the americans own people.

On topic, anything with a large group of people can cause terror. Either A) like I suggested elsewhere, we don’t overreact too harshly to just encourage them or B) set a limit to 300 or so people within each 75 miles.

Flag Post

I talked to people about this and somebody told me that you would not even have to plan anything. At an event such as the New Years celebration in Times Square, if you just say something like "There is a bomb at such and such a place and people would totally freak causing a stampede and people would die. What a way to start the New Year.

Flag Post

Amercan culture have to damn many occassions where people make a crowd.
Like new year, black friday, st patrick day, different parades and celebrations etc, and all are ripe targets for a man with a bomb/ gun/ car.
On top of it, one can get hazardous materials and guns very easily.
I read a report about uranium being sold on ebay and so many videos about explosives.

Flag Post
Originally posted by thepunisher52:

Are you saying that other countries don’t form crowds?

Flag Post
Originally posted by NaturalReject:

Are you saying that other countries don’t form crowds?

No, but you are a multicultural nation, hence you have festivals and etc of many different cultures, and that is why you have much more occassions where a crowd is formed.

Flag Post

No, but you are a multicultural nation, hence you have festivals and etc of many different cultures, and that is why you have much more occassions where a crowd is formed.

“You”?

Are you saying that multiculturalism is bad and should be avoided?

Flag Post

Wouldn’t this be much of the problem in the first place? That there aren’t enough checks and safeguards on the sale of guns and high-ex materials?

“You”?

He’s palestinian, if memory serves.

Flag Post

That wasn’t my question. He said “you”, like he’s assuming that I’m american.

Flag Post

I think he assumes everyone is western. He does it to everyone, America, Scotland, Canada and England so far. Its a general you, he tends to use to denote those who have a different world-view than him.

His is simpler. If you don’t like something, just use your fists, shoot it or blow it up. It’s a view he has expoused many, many times on these forums. So if you don’t share that view, and choose to go with a different approach, or question that methodology, you’re not from his country, and thus the “you” applies.

It is very simplistic, but once you pick up on the methodology, his reasoning is sound, from his own perspective.

Flag Post

I think he assumes everyone is western. He does it to everyone, America, Scotland, Canada and England so far. Its a general you, he tends to use to denote those who have a different world-view than him.

His is simpler. If you don’t like something, just use your fists, shoot it or blow it up. It’s a view he has expoused many, many times on these forums. So if you don’t share that view, and choose to go with a different approach, or question that methodology, you’re not from his country, and thus the “you” applies.

It is very simplistic, but once you pick up on the methodology, his reasoning is sound, from his own perspective.

(clap clap clap) You’re very good at this, psycological analisis I mean. Very through and probably true. I tip my hat to you.

Flag Post

“You”?

Are you saying that multiculturalism is bad and should be avoided?

No. I don’t think multicuturalism is bad, hell, Pakistan has its own multiculturalism but what I am saying is that the crowd forming events are in plenty, so are the oppertiunities for a terrorrist.
Americans are still lucky that no one targeted there bus stands or train stations, unlike us.

Wouldn’t this be much of the problem in the first place? That there aren’t enough checks and safeguards on the sale of guns and high-ex materials?

“You”?

You are right about first point and wrong about the second.

That wasn’t my question. He said “you”, like he’s assuming that I’m american.

Yeah I assumed that you were an american.

Good lord, what kind horrendous accusations are these.
I knew you people were liars, but never knew you were this much of liars.
Now I will have to ‘use my fists, shoot you or blow you up.’
Vika your words smell racist. you should be ashamed of accusing a man of such deeds.