What happens after death

212 posts

Flag Post

Ok, so I’m posting here, because I’m not really sure where/who I can talk to.
I am petrified of what’s going to happen when I die, because I don’t know what’s going to happen.
I’m seriously so worried that I prayed today for a sign that there is an afterlife.
I’m not religious, I’m what you would probably call an agnostic, in that I don’t believe there’s a god, but I don’t believe there isn’t a god.
The thing I’m worried about is if there is nothing after death.
I can’t even comprehend what that means, because in life, nothing would be no sound, no sight, no feeling. Just you alone with your thoughts.
If there is literally nothing, you won’t have thoughts, you won’t have consciousness, you won’t have subconsciousness.
This freaks me out so much that lately I haven’t been enthusiastic about anything, games that I used to really enjoy don’t stop me from being bored, and I can’t stop thinking about the possibility that there’s nothing after death. Sometimes I can’t sleep because I’m still thinking about it, which leaves me tired the next day.

My questions are, to those of you who are religious:
Why are you religious?
What keeps your faith going?
Have you had any signs from god?
Has anything you’ve prayed for every come true?
Have you had any near-death experiences, or out of body experiences?

Thanks for reading, and thanks if you answered the questions honestly :)

Flag Post

Oh that’s easy, you just start to rot. Well, unless you get turned into Ash.

Oh… That’s not what you meant. Okay, if you are really so worried about this thought; forget about it. The point is, you don’t really know what going to happen (though you can guess or believe something will happen), just that it’s very likely you will die, and you should use what you have and do know. A little depressing, yes, but you should really start worrying about your existence until after you retire for a decade or so.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

Oh that’s easy, you just start to rot. Well, unless you get turned into Ash.

Oh… That’s not what you meant. Okay, if you are really so worried about this thought; forget about it. The point is, you don’t really know what going to happen (though you can guess or believe something will happen), just that it’s very likely you will die, and you should use what you have and do know. A little depressing, yes, but you should really start worrying about your existence until after you retire for a decade or so.

Yes, I keep thinking this, I think “Well, if there is nothing, I might as well forget it for a while and enjoy my life”, but I don’t seem to be able to :(

Flag Post
Originally posted by Harry_mess:

Yes, I keep thinking this, I think “Well, if there is nothing, I might as well forget it for a while and enjoy my life”, but I don’t seem to be able to :(

Looks like someone needs more ponies.

Flag Post

Not a bad plan actually…

Flag Post

Not a bad plan actually…

I know, that’s why I said it.

It can never fail, really.

Flag Post

To be honest, I started out as a religious person because I was raised that way. However, after studying the bible and numerous other aspects of religion, I can still safely profess my belief in God. I usually don’t pray for trivial things such as tests or whatever, but I believe that praying can strengthen myself to be have the capability to do greater things. To answer the OP, I believe that we go back to wherever we were born from when we die, the source of life.

Flag Post

“Death […] is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not” — Epicurus.

There’s no need to worry about death. Do you remember what life was like for you 100 years ago? No. Why? Because you were not sentient, you were not alive. How you were and felt 100 years ago will be how you will be and feel once you’re dead.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:

“Death […] is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not” — Epicurus.

There’s no need to worry about death. Do you remember what life was like for you 100 years ago? No. Why? Because you were not sentient, you were not alive. How you were and felt 100 years ago will be how you will be and feel once you’re dead.

This is exactly what freaks me out.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:

This is exactly what freaks me out.

For me it’s really exciting, I prefer not knowing everything for once. But I can understand when people like you get scared :\

When your brains turns its self off it releases a huge amount of endorphins and you experience a ton of mixed emotions at once, I guess this could be when you have that flashback sequence.

I guess the worse having no existence could be would just be like us sleeping or before we were born, and that wasn’t too bad was it?

But hey, maybe there is an afterlife waiting for you. This entire topic isn’t too likely to give you an answer that will satisfy your worries.

Flag Post

Why the “negative angst”?….glass half empty syndrome?
Might there not be a 50/50 chance that should there be an after-life that it could just as easily be extremely positive….ya know, 500 virgins hotties all for just YOU? LOL

Hmmmmm…did I just “sound like” I said there is a Heaven & Hell?

I hold out the POSSIBILITY that this plane of existence (our current life) is a lot like a Harvey House. They were dining & hotel facilities build along side of railroads in particular cities (one in my hometown) to service travelers for food (no dining cars in those days) while steam engines were attended to and provide lodging for those visiting the town.

Our “spirit” is merely stopping at this Harvey House and will soon “get back on the train” & move on down the tracks to our next destination. Hey, It could happen
More of Judy Tenuda “It could happen” is at 50 seconds into the video.

Please watch her video…she is one very funny lady.
Have a laugh…at life.
Enjoy life.
Turn worry into concern.
Then, turn concern into worrying.
Then, turn worrying into seeing that such is all about knowing there is this “mystery”.
Then, turn that knowing into a marveling at the beauty of the mystery.
Then, apply that marveling into making each & every day a reflection of this miraculous thing called life.
Worry is the death of joy.

Flag Post

Why would virgins be desirable anyway? Wouldn’t you wish partners that were highly skilled with their bodies, rather than just clueless newbies who fumble around in the dark?

The only way we’ll know for sure, is by investigation. Map every aspect of the brain and the magnetic fields created and sustained by it. See if those fields can be sustained elsewhere. Understand the phenomenon of living ghosts, and see if there is in fact some manner of imprinting going on.

Even if there is not an actual afterlife as such, this kind of research can only benefit us in creating one.

Flag Post

As one of the wrinklies here, I can say with some authority that as you grow older you will start to come to terms with your own mortality. You will begin to see death as just part of the great cycle of life. After you die, your flesh is recycled and provides the resources for future generations to live, which is a resurrection of a kind. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, suck up all the joy that life has to offer. By the time you reach my age, you will almost certainly find that fear of the unknown has become a matter of little importance.

Flag Post

I’m not a fan of the answer, “don’t worry; there might be an afterlife,” and I’m even less fond of, “don’t worry; I believe in an afterlife,” so beauval’s and vikaTae’s suggestions are the only ones so far I have any respect for. (Though I’m not sure vikaTae meant her comments as a suggestion.)

I also have some respect for the idea of “immortality through art.” That is, the idea that if you make something worth remembering, people will remember and appreciate you.

My suggestion is similar to vikaTae’s: look into transhumanism, and perhaps donate some money to life extension technologies. Replace the fear of death with the sense that you’re doing something about it.

Flag Post
My questions are, to those of you who are religious:
Why are you religious?
What keeps your faith going?
Have you had any signs from god?
Has anything you’ve prayed for every come true?
Have you had any near-death experiences, or out of body experiences?

“this makes me uncomfortable, so can i please adopt some comfortable fairy tales?”
sure you can, but do they have to be from the Bronze age? Scientology is far newer and should be a far better place for you to start. or, if you think age makes religion more credible, how about Stone-age Paganism? just make a statue out of stone or dirt, worship it and think about how you’ll meet it after death, along with all your ancestors. that should work.

don’t forget to sacrifise some animals for good fortune. magic is always good.

Flag Post

Why do you mention a dangerous money-grabbing cult when you are talking about religions?

Flag Post

Richard Dawkins said it best: We are the lucky ones

Take advantage of games not amusing you. I wish games weren’t such a good distraction for me, though I’ve been playing them less and less. Go do something, something meaningful. Build a kite. Climb a mountain. Learn a new language.

Flag Post

If you believe that Jesus is the Son of God, accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, were baptized for the remission of sins, and then spent the rest of your life endeavoring to spread love, peace, and life to humanity using the Word of God, then you go to Heaven. If you didn’t do that, you’ll be cast aside like chaff to the fire.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:

If you believe that Jesus is the Son of God, accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, were baptized for the remission of sins, and then spent the rest of your life endeavoring to spread love, peace, and life to humanity using the Word of God, then you go to Heaven. If you didn’t do that, you’ll be cast aside like chaff to the fire.

Oh boy, religious strong-arming.

Which also has some circular logic… Never noticed that before.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:Oh boy, religious strong-arming.

I was going to reply to this sarcastically, but instead I’ll just be frank with you. I’m entitled my viewpoints of life after death, and I stated them honestly. You calling out my viewpoint as somehow wrong is in itself “strong arming”. Your being a hypocrite, by explaining that my view that other’s view is unacceptable, is unacceptable. I’m not forcing anyone to believe what I believe, or berating anyone. You are calling my viewpoint out. It’s a double standard in this forum. The viewpoint that other’s viewpoints are unacceptable, is unacceptable, if the original viewpoint is religious. It’s shocking how oblivious the people who subscribe to this line of thinking are to their own hypocrisy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:
I’m entitled my viewpoints of life after death, and I stated them honestly.

Yes you are, but it is kind of strongarm-y.

You calling out my viewpoint as somehow wrong is in itself “strong arming”.

Except I didn’t say it was wrong.

Your being a hypocrite, by explaining that my view that other’s view is unacceptable, is unacceptable.

How exactly was I saying your views were unacceptable, again?

I’m not forcing anyone to believe what I believe, or berating anyone.

Not in the direct sense, but when you say something that’s basically “believe how I believe or else you’re going to go to a bad place,” it’s going to be called ideologically threatening… I think that’s a phrase.

And when I mentioned circular logic, I was talking about how saying “you will go to the X religious bad place for not believing in X religion” is kind of ineffective if you believe in Y religion that says you wont go to X religion’s bad place if you believe in Y religion.

The viewpoint that other’s viewpoints are unacceptable, is unacceptable, if the original viewpoint is religious. It’s shocking how oblivious the people who subscribe to this line of thinking are to their own hypocrisy.

Oh boy, victim cards.

Flag Post

I think there can only be one answer (and I welcome competition to this answer)

Life seems to be too complicated to been have made by chance; the sun at the perfect distance, earth spinning at perfect speed, existence of gravity, etc.

So I think there is a creator. And this creator also made religion, which all of them talks about an afterlife. So there must be an afterlife; however each religion has a different view on the afterlife. Perhaps the afterlife is what we want it to be; if you believe there is no afterlife, you dont get one. If you think there is only one god, that is what you get. Pretty much, what you believe is what you get; and also what you believe you deserve.

Flag Post
Originally posted by hangman95:
(and I welcome competition to this answer)

So you mean that I can completely bash your religious views? Fuck yeah!

Life seems to be too complicated to been have made by chance; the sun at the perfect distance, earth spinning at perfect speed, existence of gravity, etc.

Well when considering the vastness and age of the known and unknown universe, it’s not all that hard to think that eventually something happened in the right way. You could think of it like rolling dice, the more times you roll a die, the more likely you’re going to get a certain number or combination.

So I think there is a creator. And this creator also made religion, which all of them talks about an afterlife. So there must be an afterlife; however each religion has a different view on the afterlife.

Well if you look at human psychology, it wouldn’t be too far off to think that when we became sentient and started to grasp the concept of death, we just started making stories about how no-one actually dies, probably because humans as a species don’t really want to face death and try to deny it, you might be able to see this when parents try to talk to their kid about their pet dying and instead of having the kid know their pet is dead, something they may or may not be able to grasp, with something they probably could, like the pet’s gone away to a farm and will be there for a while.

Perhaps the afterlife is what we want it to be; if you believe there is no afterlife, you dont get one. If you think there is only one god, that is what you get. Pretty much, what you believe is what you get; and also what you believe you deserve.

Hooray for the agnostic theism?

Flag Post

Easily explained by science. Given the huge amounts of planets in the Universe, there is bound to be the ability to create life combined with livable conditions.

Anyways, if the director of the afterlife exists, hopefully there is a rationale of how the afterlife is chosen for the biological beings. As in if you maliciously murder someone, you go to hell, and ect. A logical god wouldn’t send someone to hell for not being baptized, not following his religion (for with the large population of Earth, and multiple religions, it would be an abomination for a god to force someone to choose the correct religion like a game of Russian roulette), or anything so mediocre as being gay. A god that punishes those for doing mediocre acts with Hell shouldn’t be a deity at all, and should be rebelled against regardless of power. A good and rational god of deistic proportions that has no control over secular life besides the creation of the natural laws of science that may or may not have been put into place to create the universe through the big bang, evolution, geographical formations, ect. that are easily proven is most likely the director of the afterlife, if one exists at all. I should repeat that he has no control, whatsoever, over your life within its secular jurisdiction, if this deity exists at all.

If there is a god, it would be a rational one. Live a good life, don’t kill or rape people, don’t listen to the fire and brimstone crap that these Westboro baptist church scum spew out.

If there is no Heaven or Hell, I shouldn’t really care. I’ve lived a good life and am proud of it. I don’t require a reward or punishment, and it’s not like my body will be tortured in the decaying earth, nor will I feel any pain or emotion from this decaying body of mine.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator