What happens after death page 2

212 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Harry_mess:

Ok, so I’m posting here, because I’m not really sure where/who I can talk to.
I am petrified of what’s going to happen when I die, because I don’t know what’s going to happen.

It is possible to break free from such a vicious cycle of thought.
I learned to enjoy life, myself- essentially rationalized the fears away.
If life is so short, and possibly fleeting, why should I waste such time worrying about it?
It took quite a bit of thinking to get to that point where I really accepted that statement and, well, got those thoughts out of my head, but it is quite possible. To answer your questions:

1. A long story. I found peace in my religion.
2. Very little keeps me going.
3. Signs, perhaps. Me imposing perspectives using selective memory, perhaps. It is questionable, but the end answer is that I cannot say.
4. Yes. But to what cause, I cannot confirm.
5. I have had neither.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyTie:

I see. When you explain to others why you feel their view is wrong, because it doesn’t accept all other’s views as right, but then pretend that you weren’t saying it was wrong, because you didn’t use the word wrong, and then mock them when they point out you being a hypocrite, by somehow saying they are playing a victim, it makes you a jerk.

Congratulations, you are now officially overreacting.

I think that’s a phrase.

No, it’s just a run-on sentence.

Also, when you try to mimic someone, it’s best to understand why the person did what he did.

You know exactly what you were saying,

Yes, I was saying how “believe in my religion or you’re going to get punished” is a bit of a strong arm, and then I said that it’s all little ineffective to the other person if they don’t actually believe they will get punished for not believing in a certain religion.

I don’t believe that everyone is going to heaven. I believe that there are requirements to get in.

And I’m sure you do, I’m not saying that it’s wrong…

That’s pretty fucking far from being a ideologically threatening strong arm.

… What I was saying was that when you say “believe in Christianity or you will go to Hell” it becomes strong-arming, and a little unconvincing when I thought about it.

As I’ve said before, and it definitely applies now: fuck off, tenco.

We get it: you don’t like it when people don’t completely agree with you; if you react that strongly to disagreement, why are you still here?

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:why are you still here?

So, let me get this straight, you feel that I am over reacting, and thus, should no longer come to these forums? You don’t feel that in itself is an over reaction? I wonder if you include a heaped serving of hypocrisy and hyperbole to every post simply to elicit a reaction, so that you may belittle said reaction, or do you actually feel that you are exempt from the scrutiny that you apply to others.

I’d wonder how much of an over reaction my post actually was, anyway. I simply said that your approach to “your way won’t do” argument with a “your way won’t do argument” is hypocritical and told you to fuck off. Not quite the nuclear apocalypse you’re painting it to be. Nor is it “playing victim” as you earlier claimed. How bout you drop the hyperbole against me, and defend your initial assertion. Explain why you feel that you can tell people that their belief about heaven is wrong because it doesn’t accept other’s beliefs about heaven. Explain why that isn’t hypocritical.

Flag Post
Explain why you feel that you can tell people that their belief about heaven is wrong because it doesn’t accept other’s beliefs about heaven.

He never said that your belief about heaven is wrong. He said that the argument that you’re going to hell if you don’t believe like you do is trying to threaten people into believing in it, which is true, and does not include any judgement of right or wrong.

Flag Post

So, let me get this straight, you feel that I am over reacting, and thus, should no longer come to these forums?

Nope, I feel you are overreacting, and then I asked why you still come here if this is how pissed off you get when people disagree with what you say, because normally people tend to avoid things like that that upset them.

You don’t feel that in itself is an over reaction?

Actually I do, so that’s why I didn’t say that.

I wonder if you include a heaped serving of hypocrisy and hyperbole to every post simply to elicit a reaction, so that you may belittle said reaction, or do you actually feel that you are exempt from the scrutiny that you apply to others.

Anyone else notice that you could also be seen as doing that very thing?

And you already explained in depth about the hypocrisy part (even if you have to assume things first that weren’t actually there), but what about the hyperbole, I don’t think you used that before, and don’t see why you’re using it now.

I’d wonder how much of an over reaction my post actually was, anyway.

And I didn’t think that my first post could logically be thought of as saying “ur wrong,” so I guess it’s just a difference in interpretations.

I simply said that your approach to “your way won’t do” argument with a “your way won’t do argument” is hypocritical

And there was the mocking and misunderstandings of intentions (especially the joke), but when you put it that way, it makes it cound much better, mostly because you take most of the (kind of important) detail out.

and told you to fuck off.

And again, I know that you have the view of “I think he did something to me somehow, so I will do something back to him,” but to people who don’t share that view, it makes you look like a bit of an ass.

Not quite the nuclear apocalypse you’re painting it to be.

Now how’s using hyperbole.

Nor is it “playing victim” as you earlier claimed.

Oh yes, saying that you can’t have a different belief than everyone one else here because once you speak up about your opinions, everyone starts saying how yours are wrong when someone makes a post that doesn’t agree entirely with you can’t possibly be seen as playing victim.

How bout you drop the hyperbole against me, and defend your initial assertion.

I did, you said it was wrong, because I actually said something else.

Originally posted by NaturalReject:

He never said that your belief about heaven is wrong. He said that the argument that you’re going to hell if you don’t believe like you do is trying to threaten people into believing in it, which is true, and does not include any judgement of right or wrong.

Pretty much, though there’s the part in my post that talked about circular logic, and that’s because if you believe that you a different religion is right and that you wont be going to hell for not believing in another religion, you probably wont be inclined to believe the person.

Flag Post

Oh my. Let’s try this again. Tenco, you aren’t explaining why my belief is incorrect, but why you think it is socially unacceptable, so you feel I am “wrong” in that sense of the word “wrong”. Semantics, right?

So, let me ask you, Tenco, what would happen to me if I were to light a bonfire, and then jump into it?

Flag Post

I do believe I’ve found what actually happens when you die, or right as you’re dieing/losing conscientious.
I don’t really want to go to detail with it just because the theory has never been proclaimed before as far as I’ve found out.

So far no one that I’ve told it to has found a single issue with it, and I’ve gathered a good amount of reliable information backing up it being possible. Everything checks out, and all the old “witnesses” of heaven are explained.
I don’t fear death as a result of this delusion, but I do fear what will happen if I am right about everything to the tip. Why? Well the time I will be happening won’t be so “nice” to say the least.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

Pretty much, though there’s the part in my post that talked about circular logic, and that’s because if you believe that you a different religion is right and that you wont be going to hell for not believing in another religion, you probably wont be inclined to believe the person.

True, but MyTie originally singled out the strong-arm bit of your post, and his subsequent post don’t do much to say anything about the circular logic, just that you said s/he was wrong.

Originally posted by Zachary_Greene:

I do believe I’ve found what actually happens when you die, or right as you’re dieing/losing conscientious.

Actually dying and being near death are two very, very different things.

Flag Post
Actually dying and being near death are two very, very different things.

Well yes, but I’m talking about the last few seconds or less of you being alive.

Flag Post
Tenco, you aren’t explaining why my belief is incorrect,

Correct.

but why you think it is socially unacceptable,

Incorrect. I haven’t said that now explain that I think your views are unacceptable, what I have said is that what you posted was technically threatening (threat =/= unacceptable) and that it isn’t a very good threat, as in order to have an effect, you would have to believe that it was right beforehand, and that would logically mean it doesn’t effect you because you are already Christian to some degree.

So, let me ask you, Tenco, what would happen to me if I were to light a bonfire, and then jump into it?

I’m assuming that this is a metaphor.

And you would be classified as suicidal.

Flag Post

Answer the question. What would happen to me if I were to light a bonfire, and then jump into it?

Flag Post

You’d end up with a lot of first and second degree burns covering most of your body, and that’s if you were lucky.

You wouldn’t stay in the bonfire though. Survival instinct and reflex would both toss you out of it, regardless of what your conscious mind wished.

Flag Post

Thanks vika, but I’m asking Tenco.

Flag Post

Answer the question. What would happen to me if I were to light a bonfire, and then jump into it?

I did, would you not be classified as suicidal if you were to jump into a bonfire?

Flag Post

I did, would you not be classified as suicidal if you were to jump into a bonfire?

Only if you stayed in the bonfire. Some very stupid people think they can control fire and do things like jump into bonfires in order to prove how brave they are, or something.

Flag Post

What would happen to my physical body, smart-alec.

Flag Post

What would happen to my physical body, smart-alec.

Then vika already covered that, you would get burned.

Well, unless you take a lot of precautionary and protection first.

Flag Post

Only if you stayed in the bonfire. Some very stupid people think they can control fire and do things like jump into bonfires in order to prove how brave they are, or something.

While it might be a little “too soon” to digress from the OP (we can always—hopefully?—find our way back), this scenario does pique my interest….since I suffered 3rd degree burns to 60% of my body w/ 2nd & 1st to the balance. So, I just might have a weeeebit of a “keen insight” as to what such interaction w/ fire can be/do.

Did MyTie mean to jump in and STAY IN…per the Buhdist monk protesting the Vietnam war. ( <— tie in w/ OP).

Does Nat-ject mean walking on beds of embers

OR, are ya talking about walking IN a full blown INFERNO:
For you Brits, ya likely remember the Bradford Arena fire See the man on fire at 3:10. Tip: DO NOT FLAIL coats at a fire, it ONLY FEEDS the fire (supplies more oxygen). SMOTHER the fire by tightly covering (cutting off oxygen supply).

Did MyTie mean by jump into a bonfire as into, through, and out
This is considered to be “sport” by some (many?). If they aren’t actually "suicidal….would they appear to be “flirting heavily” w/ Death?

Anyway, a lot of ppl’s behavior would tend to demonstrate that they either have solid expectations of their own particular “afterlife”. OR, they just don’t give a shit and are “living for the moment”…regardless of what may come “after” it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:you would get burned.

I’m not going to argue that you are incorrect, but I will say that you are being really strong arming and threatening. You are also not considering those who don’t agree with your beliefs. I wholeheartedly condemn your intimidating approach to understanding fire. It’s way too judgmental.

That’s pretty much how you come across. The consequences for our actions, as humans, is death, as in eternal death, much like the consequences for jumping into a bonfire is that you will get burned. God went ahead and offered to pay that debt for us, because He was capable of avoiding the “eternal” part of death because He is God and sinless. So, pretty much, we jumped into a bonfire. God went ahead and got burned for us, already, and said that we can avoid being burned if we agree to accept His payment of our mistake, and stop jumping into bonfires. You painting this as some sort of “threat” from God, or religious “strong arming” is a uncharacteristic of my beliefs. Simply stated, you have a shitty understanding of Christianity. You wouldn’t scream at someone not to threaten you with burns as they explained the virtues of not jumping into a fire, so you shouldn’t accuse Christians of threatening you with hell when they explain the virtues of following God.

Flag Post

Simply stated, you have a shitty understanding of Christianity.

Simply stated, you have a shitty understanding of reality.

Flag Post

Oh snap.

Flag Post

Good gawd, MyTie.
Of course, I know ya aren’t reading me….so I shall merely talk ABOUT you rather than TO ya.

I don’t have much of a “problem” reading your opinions.
I do have, however, quite a problem making sense of it. I’m NOT saying that in some shitty effort to just rag on ya. I merely feel that your “bonfire analogy” really doesn’t do much for the point ya’re trying to make….at least as I understand it.

I’m gonna try to mesh what YOU are trying to get across to tenco w/ what he is trying to tell YOU and why YOU just aren’t getting it.

First, if YOU want to believe (have “faith”) that YOUR understanding of what “God wants” is one thing….obviously, that shouldn’t be a “problem” for YOU.
However, why do ya think it can’t be a “problem” for others?

I’m NOT at all saying it HAS TO BE a problem in of itself. The mere faith someone holds shouldn’t be any real problem. It is when such faith is held to be of a nature that it puts others in a light that “lessens” them in some manner. Maybe THAT is what tenco is getting at…that the way YOU come across via YOUR “beliefs” ten to render how other ppl hold their beliefs as being “inferior”.

Why should this be all that hard to grasp? It is one of the major “short-comings” of a lot of ppl who so fervently “claim” to be deeply engrossed in the ONE TRUE FAITH…as in all other “beliefs” are de facto FALSE.

THAT just might be the kind of “leverage” tenco is talking about when he is talking about this “strong-arming” thing of: believe as I do…OR, you are going to hell. I’ve always said: fine, since I don’t believe in YOUR hell…I give a shit. After all, I am going to MY heaven.

Ya see, the one person is “condemning” (for failure to comply) the other via their belief.
I am NOT condemning anyone via MY belief. My “religion” INCLUDES all others. Most other religions REJECT anything that doesn’t fit their (typically) very narrow tenets…which is why we have umpteen million sects of Baptists.

So, YES…it can very easily seen (at least as some “Christians” come across) that when they are telling others about the “virtues of following God”…they are tacitly (often OUTRIGHT) telling the other ppl that they are indeed going to hell should they not “mend their ways”….those “ways” being to think, believe, behave as they do.

MyTie….until YOU can understand this, don’t be all that surprised if some ppl find ya to be somewhat of a zealot.

Addendum: The following quote pretty well demonstrates what I just said.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

Yeah pretty much, though I would have used more ellipses.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1: more ellipses.

His posts… would… just be a …string of periods…………

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1: more ellipses.

His posts… would… just be a …string of periods…………

Yes, that is the joke.