Whey Protein to Stay Healthy

19 posts

Flag Post

Most people have heard of whey protein, but not everyone knows exactly what it is. But, once you are introduced to this supplement, you will never look back. Essentially, it is the protein particles that are extracted from whey. Whey is the liquid material that is left over during the cheese making process. The proteins are extracted simply by drying the whey. It is then ground into a powder and sold as is, or in pill form.

Flag Post

God knows why you posted this, I don’t think Whey needs much advertisement done on this website…

Anyway, I use Whey each day for my protein shakes. I’ve been taking Whey supplements since I seriously started lifting when I was 15. My bulk shakes include: 4 Scoops of vanilla ice cream, 2 scoops of peanutbutter, 2 scoops of Whey Gold Standard, 2 cups of milk. It equals about 900 calories and 60g of protein. I am targeting my diet towards 3145 calories and 200g of protein a day, so the shakes help. But you need more than just Whey.

Right here is what I ate today, I wrote it all down in a book along with each calorie and g of protein.

5:00 – One toasted PB sandwich, 2 cups Chobani Greek Yogurt
9:30 – PB sandwich and a yogurt cup
11:30 – One chicken breast, steamed vegetables, brown rice, can of tuna, PB sandwich
2:00 – PB sandwich, and N0 Explode to increase vascularity for my workout.
2:30 – Worked out, felt pretty good
4:00 – Bulk shake (Ingredients above)
6:00 – Two chicken breast, steamed vegetables, brown rice, can of beefaroni + tuna can mixed together, toasted PB sandwich
9:00 – Two Chobani Greek Yogurt cups

Basically, what I’m trying to say is you need to be eating a lot if you want the Whey to do anything for you. The point of bulking up is to put on mass. The more mass you have, the easier it is to gain muscle. Whey helps fill in the grams of protein you should be targeting. Don’t just go taking Whey each day for no reason at all.

Flag Post

Don’t forget the slower-digesting caseins.

But yes, rwb is right. Simply gorging on protein supplements doesn’t really help as a replacement for eating right.

Flag Post

fun fact; most people that use supplements don’t need them.
another fun fact: Most people are dumbasses.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

The supplement industry is one of the biggest scams ever pulled off. I bet if they started saying that horse manure will increase muscle growth, people would buy it.

Flag Post

The scam aspect would be in the marketing hype. They exaggerate descriptions to inflate expectations. Graphs are intentionally skewed to emphasize change, often by using such tiny increments that the visual aspects are magnified significantly. Most of the supplements out there do have an effect; it’s just very minor compared to the expectations. Also, the placebo effect motivates some users to push themselves harder, which can result in stronger results. They just don’t realize it’s the extra effort, not the miraculous supplements.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rwbstripes:

God knows why you posted this, I don’t think Whey needs much advertisement done on this website…

Anyway, I use Whey each day for my protein shakes. I’ve been taking Whey supplements since I seriously started lifting when I was 15. My bulk shakes include: 4 Scoops of vanilla ice cream, 2 scoops of peanutbutter, 2 scoops of Whey Gold Standard, 2 cups of milk. It equals about 900 calories and 60g of protein. I am targeting my diet towards 3145 calories and 200g of protein a day, so the shakes help. But you need more than just Whey.

Right here is what I ate today, I wrote it all down in a book along with each calorie and g of protein.

11:30 – One chicken breast, steamed vegetables, brown rice, can of tuna, PB sandwich
6:00 – Two chicken breast, steamed vegetables, brown rice, can of beefaroni + tuna can mixed together, toasted PB sandwich

Basically, what I’m trying to say is you need to be eating a lot if you want the Whey to do anything for you. The point of bulking up is to put on mass. The more mass you have, the easier it is to gain muscle. Whey helps fill in the grams of protein you should be targeting. Don’t just go taking Whey each day for no reason at all.

rwb,

You sound like the airmen I used to be posted with in the desert; they did all kinds of things like this to bulk up. We called it Body by PSAB (Prince Sultan Air Base being the post).

Being a girl, I am most interested in weight loss and slimming down—I wouldn’t dream of purposely adding calories to my diet. Do you or anyone else know whether this whey protein can be used in a weight loss capacity?

Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:

The scam aspect would be in the marketing hype.

Well, duhh…

Most of the supplements out there do have an effect; it’s just very minor compared to the expectations.

Just like horse manure has an effect too.

Also, the placebo effect motivates some users to push themselves harder, which can result in stronger results.

Or it makes them less strict with their workouts and the rest of their diet, because the magic of protein shakes will make them the Hulk in no time.

Originally posted by Twilight_Ninja:

Do you or anyone else know whether this whey protein can be used in a weight loss capacity?

Don’t eat it, that’s the most efficient way of using it in a weight loss program.

I realize that sort of sounds like a joke, but seriously, you’ll be wasting your money.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NaturalReject:

Also, the placebo effect motivates some users to push themselves harder, which can result in stronger results.

Or it makes them less strict with their workouts and the rest of their diet, because the magic of protein shakes will make them the Hulk in no time.

I wasn’t citing this as a positive thing, more as yet another reason the hype continues via word of mouth. Clueless people who don’t realize it’s not the product giving them the increased results attribute it to the supplement rather than the effort. Yes, there are the ones who slack off because they think the product will do the work for them, but they aren’t the ones who continue extolling its virtues.

Being a girl, I am most interested in weight loss and slimming down—I wouldn’t dream of purposely adding calories to my diet. Do you or anyone else know whether this whey protein can be used in a weight loss capacity?

It can, but it shouldn’t be necessary. Supplements should primarily be used to help fill in gaps, not stack excess that won’t be used. That being said, protein intake is still necessary for those slimming down. Even a thin person needs to maintain muscle. Don’t equate less input with smaller size, as this often is not the result (look at those starving individuals in third world countries with distended pot bellies). Keep your diet balanced, stay active, and sleep normally. If you burn more calories than you consume, you are going to lose weight. Just make sure it’s the parts you want to get rid of, not the parts that keep you healthy.

Flag Post

Yes, there are the ones who slack off because they think the product will do the work for them, but they aren’t the ones who continue extolling its virtues.

I disagree completely. I would actually say that other than the supplement companies and the people sponsored by the same, the ones most likely to praise supplements are the ones that aren’t that serious about their workout. I’ve seen people “work out” for years without results who still praises the glory of the protein shake.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NaturalReject:

Yes, there are the ones who slack off because they think the product will do the work for them, but they aren’t the ones who continue extolling its virtues.

I disagree completely. I would actually say that other than the supplement companies and the people sponsored by the same, the ones most likely to praise supplements are the ones that aren’t that serious about their workout.

Short term, perhaps. But then after a couple of weeks of use and negative results, that praise ends. Long term, they start complaining about the ripoff and try to find a new miracle product.

I hit the gym 3x weekly and have had discussions with people of numerous body types and agendas. The slackers generally don’t last long at all.

Flag Post

rwb,

You sound like the airmen I used to be posted with in the desert; they did all kinds of things like this to bulk up. We called it Body by PSAB (Prince Sultan Air Base being the post).

I don’t take anything but Whey if necessary to cut. Cutting is what you mean by slimming down, and basically the name implies everything that you should be doing. Eat healthy (as you should when you bulk anyway – shame on you dirty bulkers) and do some serious cardio alongside some lifting. Basically, I steer myself away from a lot of calories and protein. Here’s what I do when I cut:

5:00 – Toasted PB sandwich
11:30 – PB sandwich, salad, yogurt cup
2:00 – N0 Explode to increase my vascularity for workout
2:30 – 1,000 meters swam in pool (You can look up my routines on my profile)
3:00 (Or so) – Beginner’s lifting routine (Also on my profile)
6:00 – Lots of salad, veggies, some tuna, yogurt, chicken, small kinds of stuff like that, 2 scoops (60g) of Whey Gold Standard
9:00 (This has been my bed time for quite a while) – two yogurt cups, 300 situps, 300 pushups

When I cut I eat around or less than 2,000 calories and 170g of protein a day. It’s not really exactly like that, but it’s pretty damn close. My diet has a lot to do with peanutbutter because it gives calories and it helps fill in for protein. I don’t wake up in a week and see the most amazing results; in reality I’m only losing about 1.5lb of weight per week. And not all of that is fat; some of it is indeed muscle. The point of lifting while cutting is to keep your metabolism rocking sky-high, maintain muscle mass / strength, as well as to give you some great cardio. I do cardio once a week when I bulk. I usually cut for a few months because after my bulk I am generally 17% body fat or so, and when I am finished with my cut I get to about 10% body fat.

Here’s a warning though, the beginner’s program on my profile is designed for someone starting out lifting who wants to keep muscle or get big. I made it for myself, it is not optimal, but it works for me. If you want to keep or even better your womanly physique, you need to increase reps, decrease weight. This is what women do in a weight room because of this: 1-3 Reps builds strength, 5-12 reps builds muscle + strength, 15-20 reps tones the muscle. A lot of fools go into a gym trying to throw weights around without knowing what they want to end up looking like, as well as what they are trying to achieve strength-wise. Also, I hit the gym Mon – Fri on a three-day-split which is what my beginner’s program is. I also hit the gym Mon – Fri on my advanced, or bulk, routine.

Oh, and do what I do: Buy a little notebook and write down each day what you eat, how many calories and grams of protein were in that, how many carbs were in it if you want, and what time you ate that. Also do this for when you lift, write down the weight and specifically what you did. Just follow the plan and write down what you did for the exercises.

Also, on my FOB I was probably the biggest PT rat, haha.

Flag Post

Sounds like you have it down to an art. I’ve been on Weight Watchers for almost a year and it has been effective for trimming the lbs off from about 1.0-3.0 per week, so I’ll just keep with that. Some other things I do:

(1) Take Fish Oil and No-Flush Niacin (this is actually just for the cholesterol and triglycerides, but it works!)
(2) I’m going to implement Green Tea tabs into my daily vitamin consumption
(3) Work out three days per week (usually the elliptical) with some weight lifting. This is usually about three sets of 7-10 reps.
(4) It also sounds basic but I never forget to stretch afterwards when the muscles are warm. I’ve read this can increase muscle mass by up to 20%, and I just consider that easy money.

Oh, and do what I do: Buy a little notebook and write down each day what you eat, how many calories and grams of protein were in that, how many carbs were in it if you want, and what time you ate that.

Wow. That is quite detailed. I don’t do that, but I do write down my Weight Watchers “points” consumption everyday. Points is derived by a combination of the fat, carbohydrates, protein, and fiber in a food, and I have a calculator for it.

Flag Post

That’s good with the fish oil, I stopped taking it but I’m probably going to buy month supplies again. Tea is great, but remember, anything with caffeine, ie. coffee, iced tea, soda, etc. will give you cramps. If you really want to slim down and lose all that fat, I’d just be doing cardio 5x a week but if it’s working for you, congratulations and keep on going. Swimming is god-tier cardio though, nothing will beat it. And with those reps you are doing, like I said, you are increasing strength and muscle. To tone for physique you need to lower weight and up reps. Stretch before and after lifting / cardio, it does wonders for you.

Oh, and do invest in N0 Explode. It increases vascularity, which serves the purpose of increasing blood-flow to muscles. Helps a lot. Take it a half hour before working out. You can buy month supplies cheaper than online at any GNC around.

Flag Post

That’s good with the fish oil, I stopped taking it but I’m probably going to buy month supplies again.

I would say I’m a born again believer in fish oil and vitamins. My cholesterol and triglycerides had raised, and the Dr. tried me on two different prescription drugs—both statins—and neither one of them was really keeping it down. He suggested I add the niacin and fish oil and when I went back a month later for a blood draw the following levels had all improved—HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, triglyerides, and ALT/AST (liver). It was amazing.

Tea is great, but remember, anything with caffeine, ie. coffee, iced tea, soda, etc. will give you cramps.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of a green tea tablet. A chemistry instructor once told me that it’s hard to drink enough green tea to get the advertised benefits, so more effective in tablet form.

If you really want to slim down and lose all that fat, I’d just be doing cardio 5x a week but if it’s working for you, congratulations and keep on going.

30+ lbs so far. When followed (and in the absence of severe health problems), Weight Watchers seems to really work. The catch is budgeting points and documenting everything.

Flag Post

When I first started working out I was 15 years old, only able to bench 95lb. I started using the beginner’s routine that I copied down on my profile, and after about 4-5 months (3 Months is optimal to see results, I take a picture of my body every 4 months) I was one of the most aesthetic sophomores in school. Oh god did that make me a cocky asshole. I went from curling 30lb to 65, benching 95lb to 185 (Both were maxes), squatting 185 to squatting 300, doing 20lb flat dumbbell bench press to doing 60lb flat dumbbell bench press. That all went along with me doing 3 mile runs every day. I went from weighing 200lb to weighing 180lb. Then I stopped cardio, upped on my calories and lifting (unknowingly), and went back up to 195lb with something like 15% body fat. That was the healthiest and most fit I ever was at that time. Then I did football, got down to 190lb, did wrestling, dropped to 180lb, got done and started to bulk. Bulked up to 225lb, cut down to 180. That was the most amazing change I ever saw my body go through. And at that point, football was back and I bulked again, then wrestling brought on another cut. Both of those were small, but I spent spring – summer bulking / cutting.

People’s bodies can change with amazing results. I unknowingly bulked / cut before I even learned of such things. That’s when I got into Whey Gold Standard, Fish oil, and eating more chicken breasts than you can wave a stick at.

Flag Post

I still tend to believe more in just eating health. Even if you have to eat a lot (I’m at some 4000 calories + ). I don’t really believe in all of those supplements and for me it has worked (Last year I won a medal at the rowing junior(18-) european championships). Just listen to your body. The average westerner eats 6 times more proteins than needed. If you need 2 times more calories you can just eat twice as many means you eat 12 times the needed amount of proteins for a normal person. You are not going to use all of those.

Flag Post

Thijser, I’d definitely side with the fact that 90% of being healthy is eating right, then 20% (Yeah, 110% because that is how hard you should be trying to reach your goals) is physical activity. Congratulations on your medal, I hope you inspire others.