Is Marijuana a Gateway Drug? (locked)

23 posts

Flag Post

The answer varies by individual: for some people, yes; but the vast majority simply use marijuana for recreational use and nothing more. Once they get into their thirties/forties they tend to stop.

And wow, this thread again

Flag Post

Depending on how you get it, no.

If you get it legally, it’s probably not going to lead to much more trouble. If you get it illegally, it’s more likely. Mostly because of how certain drug dealers in the U.S operate. They want you to get addicted to the harder stuff, because that gets them more money, and even if that’s not a particular dealers priority (or if they don’t carry anything else), it’s much more likely that if one were to go to the part of town that has drug dealers you will be exposed to people who have more addictive and more logically illegal drugs.

Flag Post

Fact: A majority of persons who try marijuana are already intaking drugs such as alcohol or cigarettes.

Fact: a majority of persons who use marijuana previously were addicted to caffeine.

If a gateway drug exists, I can assure you, it isn’t fucking cannabis.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

If you get it legally, it’s probably not going to lead to much more trouble. If you get it illegally, it’s more likely.

Really now? I live in a place where marijuana is illegal, most people do. I know three people who can easily get me marijuana, and I know heaps of people who have such connections too. However, I know no one who is addicted to heroin, cocaine, etc. Illegal access to marijuana does not equal easy access to other drugs.
They want you to get addicted to the harder stuff, because that gets them more money,

People don’t easily go from marijuana, inconsequential nearly, to heroin, cocaine, etc. Many people if offered such drugs and the only drug they were consuming was marijuana, would refuse.

Does no one in this forum actually have access to marijuana? Because access to it does not mean easy access to other drugs or, more importantly, the willingness to consume other drugs.

And, to clarify, when I’m talking about drugs here I’m referring to hard drugs and not caffeine, alcohol, or cigarettes.

Flag Post

Alcohol and tobacco are classified under hard drugs, and a lot harder than cannabis. Do you guys even try to research what you spew?

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:
Illegal access to marijuana does not equal easy access to other drugs.

I know that, which is why I said it was more likely, not always.

People don’t easily go from marijuana, inconsequential nearly, to heroin, cocaine, etc. Many people if offered such drugs and the only drug they were consuming was marijuana, would refuse.

So are you going off of what you know of with people in general, or have you seen some research that has gone into people’s drug preferences?

Does no one in this forum actually have access to marijuana?

Well you just said you did…

Because access to it does not mean easy access to other drugs or,

I know, but I was talking specifically about illegally obtained cannabis, because in the U.S. there are (at least) two states that allow cannabis.

more importantly, the willingness to consume other drugs.

And the opposite it also true.

Flag Post
Well you just said you did…

Well, yes. That’s the point. I was asking if anyone else did.

Originally posted by DarkBaron:

Alcohol and tobacco are classified under hard drugs, and a lot harder than cannabis. Do you guys even try to research what you spew?

I was merely trying to specify what kind of drugs I was talking about, I’m sure you know what I mean.
So are you going off of what you know of with people in general, or have you seen some research that has gone into people’s drug preferences?
Alright, give me some peer-reviewed research that disproves me.
And the opposite it also true.
Right, so are you saying most people who consume marijuana eventually consume other drugs with many more consequences such as heroin? Or 50-50?

Some people are stupid enough to essentially kill their minds with drugs such as heroin, but I refuse to believe without evidence that most people who consume marijuana want much harder drugs.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:

Well, yes. That’s the point. I was asking if anyone else did.

No, you said:

Does no one in this forum actually have access to marijuana?

Alright, give me some peer-reviewed research that disproves me.

You missed a step.

I wasn’t trying to say you were wrong, I was asking how you came to that conclusion.

Right, so are you saying most people who consume marijuana eventually consume other drugs with many more consequences such as heroin?

No, I’m saying that you can’t say that people will always go one way or the other, there’s always going to be exceptions to whichever rule you try to define.

but I refuse to believe without evidence that most people who consume marijuana want much harder drugs.

And some people could be co-erced into trying it.

Getting this out of the way now; no, I’m not trying to state that as a fact, but that it’s a possibility. Use logic, try to disprove me.

Flag Post

It’s a figure of speech which in many English-speaking countries can be seen as a rhetorical question used in a similar way to the way I did: to ask others if anyone else has done x.

I wasn’t trying to say you were wrong, I was asking how you came to that conclusion.

It’s hard to boil it all down to one source. Reading the news, reading articles on the effect of drugs, real life situations, a mix of everything has brought me to the conclusion.

No, I’m saying that you can’t say that people will always go one way or the other, there’s always going to be exceptions to whichever rule you try to define.

I said “many people”, so I didn’t say people will always go one way or the other. I agree with you there, you can’t say people will always go one way or the other, which I never said. “Many people” essentially leaves it as meaning that there will be some people that won’t do that, in this case, won’t not do drugs such as heroin, cocaine, etc.

And some people could be co-erced into trying it.

I believe it is general knowledge, at least in non-American English-speaking nations, that marijuana is harmless. It is also general knowledge that drugs such as heroin, cocaine, etc., are harmful. As a result, my reasoning is that it is easy for people to be coerced into consuming marijuana, but not as easy to be coerced into consuming the aforementioned drugs.

Of course, this does not apply to all, but it would apply to most.

Flag Post

Interestingly, a related Israeli study is just being published. They’ve found that the medical pain relief properties of cannabis are surprisingly profound.

When legal research is allowed into the benefits and risks of these illicit drugs, it can be quite surprising what answers turn up.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Interestingly, a related Israeli study is just being published. They’ve found that the medical pain relief properties of cannabis are surprisingly profound.

When legal research is allowed into the benefits and risks of these illicit drugs, it can be quite surprising what answers turn up.

So in that study it lead to less use of drugs. (such as the mood stabilizers and pain relievers)
That’s pretty awesome. :D

Flag Post

It’s nonsense. Marijuana is not a gateway drug. When I was younger and smoked not once did I ever think of doing hard core drugs. Pills,crack,meth all those drugs are products that consume the mind in a major chemical way. Altering you into something else. I know this by seeing my brother killing himself with these drugs. People get addicted to those drugs due to peer pressure or pressures of how the real world is. Meaning unable to deal with reality or just for fun. Weak minded. The media and the government are just selling you a bunch of nonsense to make themselves look good. How can they it’s part of the war on drugs. Also they even said when bought at time Bush was pushing the war on terrorists that when you bought marijuana you were funding them. Well I live in the north country and it can be grown anywhere. Also I’ve never seen any terrorist around or an arabic for that matter.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ryan1114:

Also I’ve never seen any terrorist around or an arabic for that matter.

The two are not synonymous, you know. Being arabic is not a precursor for being a terrorist. It never was.

Flag Post

That’s not what I meant it to be,but it does sound one sided and shallow.

Flag Post

yes, cannabis is a gateway drug. because, you see, the glass age sorceress of Argudan put a spell on it that makes users feel the need to use even heavier drugs, but she didn’t put the same spell on other drugs. it’s because the enemies of the Argudines; the Zylatuns, grew a lot of cannabis, so yeah. they grew xtc and shrooms too, so watch out.

however, alcohol, tobacco and caffeine (as well as fuzzymakers painkillers, sleeping pills and calming zepams) were grown and consumed by the Argudines, so they should be safe. have at it.

Flag Post

It can be a gateway out of taking more serious drugs like it was for me.

Flag Post

Some people are stupid enough to essentially kill their minds with drugs such as heroin, but I refuse to believe without evidence that most people who consume marijuana want much harder drugs.

Easy now, a pretty wide swathe of western culture’s luminaries were no stranger to pretty stiff opiates. “Kill your mind” seems a little critical of something mass marketed and prescribed without any neurotoxic effects. Hell the US hasn’t had a clean president for a couple of decades. Not that I really consider them laudable characters to emulate.
But I’m one of those nasty gateway people I suppose. Ah well.
Really though, it is a mild introduction to chemical experiences. I would hope people start with something a little closer to home, that just seems like common sense.

So, do I consider it a gateway drug? I suppose so, although mostly redundant to alcohol. Do I consider that a serious problem, or some sort of damning fate to rile up alarmists? No.

Flag Post

Yes, it is a gateway drug. But alcohol is much worse. Maybe even tobacco. I don’t think it’s worth fussing over so much. If people are stupid enough to get into cocaine, heroin, or methamphetamine, they would probably get there through alcohol and prescription drugs anyways.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Terence22205:

Please only post serious answers. ^

first of all lol at your “be serious” pedantric, paladinic nazism. secondly, i was making a quite serious point that i’m afraid you missed. i hope others didn’t miss it.

Flag Post

Yep, op’s a nazi for pointing our you’re being a moron. Makes sense.

In the future, keep the clever irony to a minimum when you’re trying to be serious. Kinda goes with the turf.

Flag Post

lol. you can’t be serious. god damnit, Jan, what has gotten in to you lately? trollsyrum?

Flag Post

In a nutshell, no.

I think in some instances MJ is used as a gateway drug, but this is only by people who have addictive personalities and already had a great propensity to use it that way. If it’s used properly and rationally, I don’t see the whole “gateway” thing being an issue.

And another thing—I think legalization of MJ will mitigate or take away the gateway factor. At that point, it would be like—gateway to what? They have already gone as far as they can with what they can buy from the distributor (in this case, it would be a dispensary). It’s not like they are going through some shifty street dealer who’s going to keep lacing and upping their shit with more risky substances.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Terence22205:

Great points.

Most of you say it isn’t, and I think I’m starting to agree with that, given the evidence brought up.

Would anyone like to weigh in favor of it being a gateway drug?

In its legalized form? No. If it’s illegal, the efforts to acquire the MJ would get the purchaser to be within the vicinity of other drugs through the black market. MJ is a catalyst to access other drugs while it is illegal. You would see a significant decrease of use of illegal drugs in areas where MJ is legal, due to it being accessed through a regular and open market.

Either than that, it is not the drug itself, but the personality of the user of the drug along with the level of their access to other drugs. I see no problem with MJ. The only downside to it is that it allows more of a procrastinative character, which I don’t even see as a bad thing. The world does need to chill down a bit.