Why do (some) people support Christopher Dorner?

36 posts

Flag Post

Christopher Dorner is a murderer who has killed 3 people (1 was an officer). He killed these people because he is angry at the officers that ended his career. You can find more information here 4th paragraph explains.

Anways I was wondering if anyone know why there are so many people supporting him on youtube and various news sites. I know that there are a few crazies out there that will always support misery that is brought upon the police, but the support seems unusually high for this case.

Also, what do you think about it in general? Do you support this man or not?

For me, Dorner lost all credibility when he committed murder. Yeah, he miiiiiiiiiight have a case against the LAPD for his firing, but murder is not a way to get answers. You were fired, you had a bad performance, and it probably makes you look like a loser to some people. Suck it up and find a new career, or try to make a case against the police if you can. But no, he decided to go crazy and kill people.

Flag Post

He had noble intentions. I would advise him to turn himself in, because he did commit murder. At the same time, I am rooting for him that he doesn’t get caught so that the LAPD has something to fear for its corruption with every passing day. Hopefully as this goes on, the media will focus upon the LAPD, and they will eventually be forced to answer for themselves.

It is suspicious that the LAPD is shooting at every single blue pickup truck on the road out of desperation to kill Dorner.

Flag Post
Originally posted by slasher:

At the same time, I am rooting for him that he doesn’t get caught so that the LAPD has something to fear for its corruption with every passing day.

Correction: the LAPD and THEIR FAMILIES!

Hopefully as this goes on, the media will focus upon the LAPD, and they will eventually be forced to answer for themselves.

The problem is that this is exactly what is not going to happen. Had he tried to make a legitimate case against the corruption present in the police he could have put the media’s attention there by making statements in a court of law and giving interviews in huge talk shows. But with what he is doing now he puts all the attention on himself. The corruption of the police is just the backdrop for the main event, a manhunt. Once this is over the focus might shift a bit, but it will never become as effective as if he had taken the correct route.
Maybe this example will make it a bit clearer: If someone makes a movie out of this it will be an action movie, not a drama focused on a man’s noble struggle against a corrupt system.

It is suspicious that the LAPD is shooting at every single blue pickup truck on the road out of desperation to kill Dorner.

Probably because they are scared as hell. Judging from his training this guy is a war machine and judging by his actions he is a complete psychopath who is not afraid to put this training to use.

Flag Post

The problem is that this is exactly what is not going to happen. Had he tried to make a legitimate case against the corruption present in the police he could have put the media’s attention there by making statements in a court of law and giving interviews in huge talk shows.

Probably not. Think the LA Police force just recently became corrupt? It’s scary business pointing a finger out at omnipresent, organized, militarized, publicly armed and funded criminals. I am not so sure that many would jump on board that band wagon.

But with what he is doing now he puts all the attention on himself. The corruption of the police is just the backdrop for the main event, a manhunt. Once this is over the focus might shift a bit, but it will never become as effective as if he had taken the correct route.

I am not sure. This has forced the question into a spectacle. It’s turning heads and bringing the notion to the public fore pretty much immediately. I am not sure the legitimate path could ever have had such an immediate effect.

The allegation that the LAPD is full of intentional harm, misconduct and systemic racism is nothing new. One thing I find interestingly underreported is the man’s military background. He’s a navy vet, and no stranger to the jargon.

Personally I have no issue with him killing corrupt police officers. I am not sure I trust him to be picking them out, he clearly has some issues, but while many seem to think murder invalidates any claim to the high ground I don’t personally find it problematic. That said, extending his rampage on to family members and specifically uninvolved members is going too far.

Anywho, is manifesto is an interesting one. It’s a strange read, he’s a different sort of fellow from the typical cast of this. I find the military undertones spooky, personally.

http://ktla.com/2013/02/07/read-christopher-dorners-so-called-manifesto/#axzz2KVOauvmc

Flag Post

EPR, are you trying to justify the murder of civilians with the fact the the police officers are probably scared? Do you really believe that this justifies the murders of innocent people?

Flag Post

Could never support someone taking action such as this, but if one were to take his statements as the truth (that’s one for another day) the guy has been severely wronged.

I can totally understand people supporting him in principle based on what he has said. Add in the many people out there who dislike the police anyway, and you have a pretty huge pool to draw supporters from.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Storaged:

EPR, are you trying to justify the murder of civilians with the fact the the police officers are probably scared? Do you really believe that this justifies the murders of innocent people?

I think you need to read up on the definition of murder.

Flag Post

I think you need to read up on the definition of murder.

I think you need to read up on what murder in the 3rd degree is defined as.

Flag Post

Because people hate losing their jobs, and cops. A cop loses his job, and gets revenge for a corrupt system? Given the narrative, and given our current national state of affairs, vigilante’s are feeling more and more validated by a system that has abused it’s people without respite. I don’t empathize with this position at all, however. If violence was absolutely necessary to a fully actualized and rational human being, he wouldn’t need a manifesto to defend himself. If his suicide note had anything in it like “I discovered that mankind is really the product of genetic engineering by an alien race and I was fired for admitting it” I would understand why he’s running for his life. No, this guy’s psychotic, and even if he does have some legitimate claim, as mentioned, he’s ruined his chance for actual retribution, and instead took the moral lives of others into his own mortal hands, and is a coward for doing so.

Flag Post

“Just being a rogue cop isn’t enough really.
This guy is black. So he’s a dead man.
And nobody will really care when the cops kill him. And they will murder him. They have no intention of taking this guy in for his day in court.
They’re going to assassinate him. Because they can. They’re above the law. And we should all stop living in the dream world where we erroneously believe that the laws apply evenly to everybody. They don’t.
Nobody will arrest them or prosecute them for doing it either. Hell, they’ve already shot up other people for just looking like they might be this guy, even though they were driving a different colored truck, weren’t black and were not even males.
I will say this: the cops are scared, because this guy’s strategy is immaculate. From a purely strategic perspective, this guy is frightening.
He doesn’t want money and will make no demands (this is how the DC sniper got caught). He won’t try to communicate through the press. He wrote his manifesto, and that’s the last you’ll hear from him. He knows how to hurt the cops. You don’t hurt cops by shooting at cops. This guy believes that the best way to hurt cops is by going after their families while the cops are at work.
Cops carry guns. Their families don’t, usually. Cops are ready for violence. Their familes aren’t usually.
When this guy said he was going to attack them asymmetrically, this is what he meant. And the cops know that’s their weakest point.
That’s why they’re panicking. Other people are watching. That’s their biggest fear. That this sort of thing catches on in the revenge business.”

-reddit post by clint_taurus

Flag Post

Killing people to prove a point is never acceptable.
A large portion of the american public finds it perfectly acceptable. Preferred even. It is what is relayed in all of our media: Judicial system broken? Better take the law into your own hands; don’t try to fix the system. Bad guys on the loose? Kill them dead; don’t bother trying to capture them. They deserve death anyway. It’s all basically part of the american mentality now, and it is rather unhealthy. Granted, most people still believe Christopher Dorner to be the bad guy. Which is why they want the cops to kill him, instead of the other way around.

Flag Post

Don’t sympathize with Dorner who’s clearly a homicidal madman.
Also don’t sympathize with the LAPD who has shot up vehicles with innocent civilians in them because the vehicle looked like Dorner’s. (Seriously LAPD? Are you trying to make yourself look bad? Your overreaction makes Dorner seem more legitimate because you look crazy.)

Flag Post

If you read his manifesto and remember to say “so that’s why I get to kill people and threaten their admittedly innocent families.” after every sentence/paragraph, it’s not hard to see that this guy has issues. He vaguely implies that reacting to racism by ending people’s life would be a measured reaction in grade school, and mentions this line of reasoning specifically because a fellow officer used a racial slur in his presence. He’s talking about people’s grossly unjust acts of selfish power, while threatening to use acts of selfish power. He’s a hypocrite.

Flag Post

Wow how can none of you realize what is going on.

He is making the LAPD freak out and do horrible things.

He is tricking the LAPD into making itself look bad.

This is basic IRL trolling, how can you not understand?

Flag Post

I think we understand perfectly well that trolls are idiots. They think they’re champions of truth and justice, when really they’re champions of their own self serving morality. I share a lot of my seemingly cocksure opinions on this forum, but there are so few beliefs I would both be willing to die, or kill for. Nothing listed within the manifesto of this madman indicate any clarity or impervious judgement that would denote the person fit for deciding the lives and deaths of others.

Even within his own manifesto, he admonishes people in the force for attacking officers and their innocent families, yet this is precisely what he’s doing himself. Even if I could agree that his entire manifesto is an accurate and valid reason for the people listed in it to be tried and hung, his self appointed role as judge, jury, and executioner is patently wrong. The key to playing moral superiority cards is to not act immorally yourself.

Any awfulness regarding the LAPD can now be swept under the rug thanks to this man’s overbearing reactions. Killing himself on the roof of their building would’ve been a billion times more effective, and would’ve earned more sympathy than admonishment.

Flag Post

A cop loses his job, and gets revenge for a corrupt system?

His version of events (of which one should remain critical) maintains that he lost job due to whistle blowing on corruption and police brutality. Which, I find is a slightly different story.

f his suicide note had anything in it like “I discovered that mankind is really the product of genetic engineering by an alien race and I was fired for admitting it” I would understand why he’s running for his life.

I dunno. “The LAPD kills and assaults for sport” is a pretty dangerous statement to be making. It wasn’t that long ago that Ruppert accused them of doing the boot work in selling illegal drugs to raise black financing for CIA operations. I think the overwhelming force on display shows that he has spooked them beyond killing a few people.
Or the Rampart scandal which caught the LAPD red handed killing and robbing and doing everything they can to cover it up.

Granted, most people still believe Christopher Dorner to be the bad guy. Which is why they want the cops to kill him, instead of the other way around.

As opposed to arrest, incapacitate, detain? I imagine the cops want to kill him (beyond the whole, threatening to shoot their families thing) to silence and finish this debacle before we see successful dissent terrorism tactics enacted by military personnel.

Any awfulness regarding the LAPD can now be swept under the rug thanks to this man’s overbearing reactions.

Whoah now, are you saying morally? Or just in the realm of public spectacle?

Flag Post

Of course not morally. As was mentioned in the thread already, he’s made this about himself now, and all of his absolutely wonderful points are lost because of his failure of character and hypocrisy.

Flag Post

I’m not convinced they are lost. I mean an essential part of this at the beginning, and still, is the degree of sympathy associated with him. I think most people are not condoning hunting down family members of the LAPD, but that the systematic corruption and constant abuse of the people have finally pushed someone over seems to be hitting a cord.

Beyond the problems with the LAPD I find this is also really highlighting the problems and loss of control with militarism within the US. Shit has hit the fan. This is not a quiet conflict, from one guy going the proverbial rambo to the mighty big fucking hammer prepped to go down upon him. The fact that we have APC’s full of military trained assault weapon toting “police men” at all, let alone opening up on civilian targets haphazardly. To broken individuals toting urban guerrilla training as they go one man army. To remote potentially armed drones flown over US cities by Customs and Borders. This is a preamble. There is nothing limiting this to one occurrence.

The real point of this I would suggest is beyond the particulars of LAPD corruption. But on the mental state and capabilities of those armed and entrusted.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

they have nothing to do with their lives but conspire.
most probably didnt even read all the articles about him killing innocent people(meaning, not having any relation to the misconduct of LE)

Flag Post
Originally posted by slasher:

He had noble intentions. I would advise him to turn himself in, because he did commit murder. At the same time, I am rooting for him that he doesn’t get caught so that the LAPD has something to fear for its corruption with every passing day. Hopefully as this goes on, the media will focus upon the LAPD, and they will eventually be forced to answer for themselves.

Good intentions lead to evil doings.

He is another case of living proof.

Flag Post

Looks like they have him surrounded

Flag Post
Originally posted by JohnRulz:

I agree, of course. I’ve had people screw me over bigtime, but never went on a shooting spree to “avenge” it.

To address the OP’s question—if someone wants to play Devil’s advocate and sympathize with Dorner, it would be on grounds of racism. He said he was fired after being a whistleblower (California has a problem with this stuff, I’ve noticed) and the LAPD….well, they don’t have the best track record.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JohnRulz:

A large portion of the american public finds it perfectly acceptable. Preferred even. It is what is relayed in all of our media: Judicial system broken? Better take the law into your own hands; don’t try to fix the system. Bad guys on the loose? Kill them dead; don’t bother trying to capture them. They deserve death anyway. It’s all basically part of the american mentality now, and it is rather unhealthy. Granted, most people still believe Christopher Dorner to be the bad guy. Which is why they want the cops to kill him, instead of the other way around.

No they don’t John. wow buddy, you really have a warped idea of self-defense. It comes down to you or them and law abiding citizens have a right to life. You can’t seem to wrap your head around the idea the bad guys are really bad. People don’t want to kill, even the bad guys, but they are not going to forfeit their lives because they are pacifists. What Dormer has done is commit murder.

Flag Post

John’s not talking about self-defense. Nowhere in his post, does he even reference the concept. Instead he’s talking about how our media has glorified the “one man against the world” type of stance, that Dorner is taking.