Hey, you know that meteor that hit Russia?

16 posts

Flag Post

Yeah, apparently it’s all Obama’s fault.

When I first learned that a meteor possibly the size of a large car hit Russia, I first thought “Holy shit, it hit.” Then I thought about what the media will say about it after they’re done getting the facts out.

I actually joked about people blaming Obama, but no, Russia, you just had to prove me wrong.

Anyway, I want to know what you all here think of the meteor and what effects it could have. I’d especially be interested in everyone trying to come up with the craziest conspiracy theories and try to find people with equally crazy or crazier theories.

Flag Post

The meteor gives us an excellent opportunity to see who absolutely shouldn’t be in charge.

Like that Russian guy.

Flag Post

Ever since that adoption law that no one in Russia really wanted has been passed it should be pretty obvious that members of the Duma cannot be taken serious.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

Yeah, apparently it’s all Obama’s fault.

When I first learned that a meteor possibly the size of a large car hit Russia, I first thought “Holy shit, it hit.” Then I thought about what the media will say about it after they’re done getting the facts out.

I actually joked about people blaming Obama, but no, Russia, you just had to prove me wrong.

Anyway, I want to know what you all here think of the meteor and what effects it could have. I’d especially be interested in everyone trying to come up with the craziest conspiracy theories and try to find people with equally crazy or crazier theories.

OBAMA!!!!!!!!!! what, c’mon Russia you don’t have to blame the American president for a meteor hitting your country.
I go to an astronomy club at my school so I was interested to fin out more about it. But the fact Russia blamed Americans is a bit out of hand don’t you think.

If you want to quote my message but you think it is a bit long just write “Duck” at the front and i will know about your reply / quote!

Flag Post

We are actually speaking about the Russian Sarah Palin. Zhirinovsky is a clown and the representative of the right wing of a more then right wing party. Palin and Zhirinovsky actually even collided a few times. Zhirinovsky actually wanted to “retake” Alaska by force to free this state from their capitalistic/Jewish oppressors and make it the new home of the Ukrainians. And no, I don’t make this things up. If you care you can search the Internet for it. There is more then one nice gem in the clash of these clowns.

Here is his Wikpedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Zhirinovsky

Flag Post
Originally posted by yoyoduck123:

Well the guy who said that is kinda…

Originally posted by Frostbringer:
the Russian Sarah Palin.

Goddamn it, why didn’t I think of that first?

Flag Post

I can understand the Spin value of the weapons test story, but really…it’s not the Cold War.

Just seems you can find oddballs in all sorts of places.

Flag Post

Well here’s a selection of photos and videos showing the meteor falling: http://zyalt.livejournal.com/722930.html

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fishyninjabread:

I can understand the Spin value of the weapons test story, but really…it’s not the Cold War.

The problem is, that for this sort of somewhat elderly individual who remembers things the way they used to be, but through rose-colored glasses, the cold war isn’t over. They cannot wrap their heads around such a fundamental change, and so they cannot accept it, mentally. They continue as if it is still running, planning their campaigns accordingly.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:
Originally posted by Fishyninjabread:

The problem is, that for this sort of somewhat elderly individual who remembers things the way they used to be, but through rose-colored glasses, the cold war isn’t over. They cannot wrap their heads around such a fundamental change, and so they cannot accept it, mentally. They continue as if it is still running, planning their campaigns accordingly.

I have doubts it is so.
On one hand what we have here is strong anti-“western” (in whole) and anti-USA (in particular) propaganda flowing from TV and web media.
On other hand there’s a NATO military base in the middle of the land and 100500 bueraucrats owning property and their kids being educated in “western” countries.
Still there’re anti-US legal acts. But still Russia is a member of WTO and global economics now.
In whole there’s a very complex (and not nice at all) situation here.

Speaking of times of Cold War, sure there had been some propaganda-inspired hysteria but it was about being nuked for the most part. At the same time in 80’s (maybe even earlier) one of the popular views among common ppl was “let USA come and CONQUER (LOL) USSR”. It was semi-serious and more like hoping a fairy comes with gifts of decent level of material goods and services. Overall army was not ready to fight (there was a case featuring false alert signal on a nuke submarine base, and local command staff just took their wives and children and left the base lol).

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Player: Still, this particular idiot of a politician, Zhirinovsky, does fit the profile. White, male, getting on in life, windbag, wealthy.

From the Wikipedia article I was able to dig out links to his actual speeches, and verify he did indeed say many of the things Wiki claims he’s said. From that I can draw that he at least is still acting in a very much “the cold war never ended” modus operandi.

I would rather suspect, in much the same way the US news outlet “Fox News” caters particularly to elderly men who have lost touch with reality, so to Zhirinovsky’s core supporter base will be of the same general demographic as him – elderly and pining for the ‘glory days’.

I realise Russia is something of unique situation, and a really weirdly run country in some aspects, but his situation at least, does appear to be rather cut and dry.

Flag Post

There’s an opinion that Zhirinovsky’s role is to inject shocking or just strange suggestions. Don’t know if it’s true.
At the beginning of his political career he started as a populist who despite the “liberal-democrat” label used patriotic rhetoric. Nowadays he is one of the few not from ruling party politicians allowed on the scene.

Yes, in 90’s some noticeable % of rural population supported him, but atm (I looked through VTSIOM data) he is popular among ppl who consider themselves (but not necessary are) semi-wealthy (simplifying: in Russia that means one has $ to buy a modern car) urban residents with median age of 38. About 1/3 of his supporters are of age 25-34.

Flag Post

We are actually speaking about the Russian Sarah Palin. Zhirinovsky is a clown and the representative of the right wing of a more then right wing party. Palin and Zhirinovsky actually even collided a few times. Zhirinovsky actually wanted to “retake” Alaska by force to free this state from their capitalistic/Jewish oppressors and make it the new home of the Ukrainians. And no, I don’t make this things up. If you care you can search the Internet for it. There is more then one nice gem in the clash of these clowns.

Good job bringing up something that has nothing to do with the meteor that hit Russia.

Flag Post
Originally posted by PatriotSaint:

Good job bringing up something that has nothing to do with the meteor that hit Russia.

I was the one who brought up Zhirinovsky, he was just the one talking about how much he likes Coacoa Puffs.

Flag Post

I read it was actually about 50 tonnes in weight but most of it burnt up in the atmosphere, the various footage that i have seen is truly amazing though. I was stuuned to know that the shockwave/sonic boom which blew out windows, walls etc took between 5 & 10 minutes to reach ground level. Glad the big one missed us the next day though as I wouldnt be here to write this if that one hit us. :(