Incest is widespread in America.

7 posts

Flag Post

Read this article http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/01/america-has-an-incest-problem/272459/ a couple of weeks ago, and thought that it should be disseminated on a broader basis.

From the article:
“Here are some statistics that should be familiar to us all, but aren’t, either because they’re too mind-boggling to be absorbed easily, or because they’re not publicized enough. One in three-to-four girls, and one in five-to-seven boys are sexually abused before they turn 18, an overwhelming incidence of which happens within the family. These statistics are well known among industry professionals, who are often quick to add, “and this is a notoriously under-reported crime.” (this paragraph has three links backing up its claims in the original)

Apparently incest is a widespread problem problem in the US (and likely in the rest of the world as well), and is undoubtedly causing a ton of damage to individuals and society at large (criminality is correlated with child abuse to a large extent as I understand it from many sources). From watching a fair amount of videos from Stefan Molyneux (https://www.youtube.com/user/stefbot) – an excellent resource on psychology and self-help IMO – I have come to understand that child abuse in general is also quite widespread and harmful, but can be recovered from with skilled assistance (Mr. Molyneux is leading a very happy and successful life at present despite having a terrible childhood and often counsels people during his Sunday call-in shows).

I am not a psychologist and cannot competently answer questions about this topic, though I will reference http://www.reddit.com/r/depression and http://www.reddit.com/r/SuicideWatch/ for those looking for additional resources on this issue. For those unfamiliar with reddit, in is an online forum dedicated to anonymity, anyone can get an account there in under a minute without revealing any personal information (not even an e-mail address), and can begin browsing or posting immediately.

Flag Post

Not all incest is sexual abuse, and not all sexual abuse is incest. While people being taken advantage of is a horrible thing, whether they are children or adults, I think that it’s an important distinction to make.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Uhm….
I think you may be confusing incest and paedoph…
EDIT: Well, damn! Ninjas. Ninjas everywhere.

@Twilight_Ninja
I got ninja’d by NaturalReject. And your name just makes me paranoid now. ;)

Flag Post
Originally posted by EPR89:

EDIT: Well, damn! Ninjas. Ninjas everywhere.

What?

To the OP, there is also the phenomena of Genetic Sexual Attraction

Flag Post

Thanks for that link TW, I saw a program on it (Discovery Channel I think) but couldn’t remember what it was called. Have saved the link for later use.

That said, GSA is not what is being referred to in the OP.

Not sure what the distinctions are between incest (most of it abuse perpetuated on children by adult family members if I understand it) and sexual abuse/pedophilia… Seems like incest between long-term family members (i.e. not Genetic Sexual Attraction which occurs between reunited family members) is (almost?) always a negative thing, not much different than what is described as sexual abuse/pedophilia?

Seems like it is a major issue in schools as well, though one might theorize that those abused at home are more susceptible to later abuse by others, including teachers and administrators.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_harassment_in_education_in_the_United_States

Prevalence

In their 2002 survey, the AAUW reported that, of students who had been harassed, 38% were harassed by teachers or other school employees. One survey, conducted with psychology students, reports that 10% had sexual interactions with their educators; in turn, 13% of educators reported sexual interaction with their students.9
In a survey of high school students, 14% reported that they had engaged in sexual intercourse with a teacher. (Wishnietsky, 1991) In a national survey conducted for the American Association of University Women Educational Foundation in 2000 found that roughly 290,000 students experienced some sort of physical sexual abuse by a public school employee between 1991 and 2000. And a major 2004 study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education found that nearly 10 percent of U.S. public school students reported having been targeted with sexual attention by school employees. Indeed, one critic has claimed that sexual harassment and abuse by teachers is 100 times more frequent than abuse by priests.10

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bill999:

Not sure what the distinctions are between incest (most of it abuse perpetuated on children by adult family members if I understand it) and sexual abuse/pedophilia… Seems like incest between long-term family members (i.e. not Genetic Sexual Attraction which occurs between reunited family members) is (almost?) always a negative thing, not much different than what is described as sexual abuse/pedophilia?

Incest is sex with a close biological relatives. It says nothing about the age or mutual consent.