Slavery is ok in the bible page 2

44 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by gamerguy75:

This is yet another reason why I’m an atheist.

Slavery exists regardless of what the religions say, and is perhaps worth bearing in mind.

Flag Post

One of my favorite sites: http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

There are also links at the top to their versions of the Koran and the Book of Mormon.

For slavery references I would start in either the Injustice or the Cruelty and violence sections under highlights.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jim_vierling:

There are also links at the top to their versions of the Koran and the Book of Mormon.

For slavery references I would start in either the Injustice or the Cruelty and violence sections under highlights.

The writer of this website has very poor understanding of the Bible. He uses differing translations and misinterpreting vocabulary in order to “prove” the absurdity of the Bible. He makes assumptions based on unproven science, since no science is proven, only supported or unsupported. He also does not take into account the differences between people, places, and circumstances between now and then. Many annotations are far fetched in their poking and prodding at the Bible and frankly not very intelligently written. I found many grammatical and spelling mistakes.

Flag Post

I don’t seem to be able to find where it disproves that the bible supports slavery. It is rather a long and hefty entire site you have linked to. Maybe you could point out the actual article where it shows the bible does not condone slavery?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Benu01:

The writer of this website has very poor understanding of the Bible. He uses differing translations and misinterpreting vocabulary in order to “prove” the absurdity of the Bible. He makes assumptions based on unproven science, since no science is proven, only supported or unsupported. He also does not take into account the differences between people, places, and circumstances between now and then. Many annotations are far fetched in their poking and prodding at the Bible and frankly not very intelligently written. I found many grammatical and spelling mistakes.

Every point on the site is followed by a link to the actual book and verse if you want to check out how they got the interpretation.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

I don’t seem to be able to find where it disproves that the bible supports slavery. It is rather a long and hefty entire site you have linked to. Maybe you could point out the actual article where it shows the bible does not condone slavery?

It points out that the bible does condone slavery. If you click on any section under the highlights section you will see that there are no articles. The site takes actual quotes from the bible and points out what they mean in the context they are used. A lot of religious people tend to take a quote and say that it means one thing when if read with the surrounding text it means something quite different.

EDIT: At the bottom of the page there are two search functions. Use the top one and type in the word slavery. That should point to the various references in all three of the religious books that the site covers.

Flag Post

Well we know the bible condones slavery. However, how much of that was a product of the times the bible was written in?

Really, I’m not getting the point of the link. Seems rather off topic to what we’re discussing.

Flag Post

Well, not all slavery in the Bible was one sided. Many slaves were in fact indentured servants who had to pay off a debt.

Flag Post

The site would be in agreement with the subject of the thread so how would it be off topic.

What would the times have to do with it. Are you saying that it was included in the bible because it was practiced at the time? So basically the people that made up the bible wanted to make sure that it continued under their religion.

It doesn’t matter when it occurred it was and is wrong.

Who in their right mind would give complete and utter control of their life and everything that they do to someone else? That would be taking advantage of someone that is not mentally competent.

Flag Post

What would the times have to do with it. Are you saying that it was included in the bible because it was practiced at the time? So basically the people that made up the bible wanted to make sure that it continued under their religion.

Partially, yeah. They were dealing with a populace who found life far more of a struggle than we do. They didn’t know anywhere near as much, and their practices would be practically alien to us today. So a lot of what the bible is saying, acknowledges that these practices are widespread, and possibly is attempting to lessen some of their effects.

As in acknowledging the practice will continue, but modifying to take the worst edges off; setting standards to be followed in lieu of not being able (or it being at all practical ) to abolish it.

Who in their right mind would give complete and utter control of their life and everything that they do to someone else? That would be taking advantage of someone that is not mentally competent.

Not at all. Voluntary slavery is an uncommon but ongoing practice in many countries. Involuntary slavery is too. Wage slavery, human trafficing, prostitution, all are forms of slavery. Can you honestly make the claim that most of humanity is not mentally competent?

Well, not all slavery in the Bible was one sided. Many slaves were in fact indentured servants who had to pay off a debt.

I’m making no judgement calls on the rightness or wrongness of slavery as a whole, Benu. Sometimes its justified, someimes its not. It all depends on the individual circumstances.

Heck, even a prisoner work-gang is a form of slavery.

Flag Post

People are typically more educated now than then. Perhaps then, certain people could not be reasoned with like they might today.

Flag Post

People are typically more educated now than then. Perhaps then, certain people could not be reasoned with like they might today.

We still have prisoners, even today. Also we have luxury appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, tumble driers, stoves that regulate their own heat. Even clean running water. The people living in the bible’s time didn’t have that, so it makes sense that they would choose to own ‘labor saving devices’ of a different sort. In return for basic sustenance and a roof over their head, the slave does all the nasty work the owner doesn’t wish to do, the same as we use electrical appliances for today.

Flag Post

vikaTae quote: “Not at all. Voluntary slavery is an uncommon but ongoing practice in many countries. Involuntary slavery is too. Wage slavery, human trafficing, prostitution, all are forms of slavery. Can you honestly make the claim that most of humanity is not mentally competent?”

If someone is forced into slavery, I do not necessarily consider them to be mentally incompetent. There may be other factors that could contribute to that so I wouldn’t know one way or the other based solely on them being forced into slavery.

Someone willingly submitting to being enslaved, yes I would definitely say that they are not mentally competent. That doesn’t include “bedroom RPGs” where it is a fantasy and temporary.

Since most of the human race has a delusional belief in the supernatural, I guess that I would indeed say that most of the human race is at least somewhat mentally incompetent.

I am using the term mentally incompetent in place of, (crazy, lacking in reasoning ability, failure to use reasoning ability), and in no way am I trying to degrade anyone that has actual physical defects that hamper brain functions.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

We still have prisoners, even today. Also we have luxury appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, tumble driers, stoves that regulate their own heat. Even clean running water. The people living in the bible’s time didn’t have that, so it makes sense that they would choose to own ‘labor saving devices’ of a different sort. In return for basic sustenance and a roof over their head, the slave does all the nasty work the owner doesn’t wish to do, the same as we use electrical appliances for today.

Forcing someone else to do things that you simply do not want to do, makes sense? There are still maids today, but they are not slaves. Well at least they are not supposed to be, but from what appear in the news, some people still pretty much treat them as such especially with threats of deportation and the like hanging over them.

If someone in “olden” times was paying the person to do the work, even with room and board, it would not constitute slavery unless they were not free to leave. A “will work for food” sign does not make that person your slave if you hire them.

Flag Post

There are still slaves, even in most developed countries like the UK or US, you just have to look hard enough.Both voluntary and involuntary slavery is quite pervasive.

There was a film documentary on slavery in the UK a while back “I am Slave”. Covered the story of one in particular, who was purchased in Africa, to work for a family in the UK. As you say, she was free to leave any time she wished, on the understanding that if she did so, her family back in Africa would be killed. If she told anyone she was working there, her family would be killed, if she went near the front door unsupervised, her family would be killed.

But as you say, she was not a slave, because they were paying her with food and somewhere to sleep.

EDIT: I will also require evidence from you that someone who voluntarilly chooses slavery, whether in the form of wage slavery, or in submittal to someone else’s will is mentally incompetant, or utterly untrustworthy. Any scientific study will do.

Flag Post

Robotic slaves is where we should be moving to. The usefulness of slaves for productivity sakes has shown evident to continually progress many civilizations since the dawn of communities. Hopefully, we don’t foolishly empathize with robots if and when we create consciousness for them, which may be possible with time. There is no way to reason away human rights from society without emotions impairing us from progress, so we need to transition what we wouldn’t communally accept for humans onto other creations, robots for instance. Although we have used human slaves for thousands of years, and only recently decided that human rights are vital for healthy, and non abusive societies to individual people; we can only attribute the ability to do so from the advent of technology, and how it accelerated our ability to provide social justice to the less fortunate.

Flag Post

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slave

Flag Post

Slavery is only okay if we do it to the evil and fetid non-believers. But if Gods People are enslaved, may they feel the wrath of a nonexistent entity!

Flag Post

i find it somewhat ironic because the bible actually promotes righteosness and yet we see that people, whether it be based on color or race, are held captive and forced to obey every whim of oppressors