alien life

102 posts

Flag Post

what are your beliefs on alien life? is there some form of it somewhere in the universe?

Flag Post

Why don’t you start by writing what you think?

Flag Post

well i think that there is aliens somewhere out there because the universe is just huge so the chance of this not being true is really small but us earthlings are not technology advanced so we cant communicate with them

Flag Post

Yes, I do believe there is alien life forms out there. I highly doubt that we are alone in this universe.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Outcast_Gamer117:

Yes I do believe there is alien life forms out there. I highly doubt that we are alone in this universe.

I highly doubt that they are alien life out there, I mean wouldn’t they appear already or something, but you never know, I could be wrong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AllStarDominatio:

I highly doubt that they are alien life out there, I mean wouldn’t they appear already or something, but you never know, I could be wrong.

By your own argument, this would prove to another civilisation that no life on this planet exists, as we would surely have already visited them, if we existed.

Do you see when the perspective is altered like that, the flaw in that line of reasoning?

Flag Post

The universe is forever expanding, so the distance from earth to other planets that offer appropriate living conditions for life could be anyones guess. Personally, I think the chances of earth being the only planet which is suitable for life to exist is just too slim.

Flag Post

I think it is possible that there is other life out there. However, I do not believe that we have ever encountered it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NinjaMaster131:

I think it is possible that there is other life out there. However, I do not believe that we have ever encountered it.

When I read some of the comments on this board, I’m inclined to disagree.

Flag Post

Given the entropy and near-infinite expanse of the universe, it is impossible for life to only exist on Earth.

Flag Post

aliens is unbiblickable therefore they aint real. Amen

Flag Post
Originally posted by NewGators:

aliens is unbiblickable therefore they aint real. Amen

Could you please not use SD to make up new words, to form the core of your ‘argument’? Un-whatable?

Originally posted by slasher:

Given the entropy and near-infinite expanse of the universe, it is impossible for life to only exist on Earth.

Well, its not impossible, there is an extremely remote chance of that, but yes, basically, you have it. Even if sentient life is rare, life itself is going to be fairly abundant anywhere the conditions are met. I have high hopes for Europa. We know there are deeply buried lakes under the surface, hopefully between the tidal forces of orbit with its primary, there’s enough stress to trigger deep ocean vents. With a source of heat and minerals, in a liquid ocean there are enough necessary factors for life to possibly have developed there.

Even if a body that once held life is now lifeless, the discovery that there even used to be life elsewhere than on our planet, would be fairly paradigm-shattering for a lot of folks.

Flag Post

I don’t strongly believe there are. But it’s not something I would exactly doubt.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Outcast_Gamer117:

Yes I do believe there is alien life forms out there. I highly doubt that we are alone in this universe.

Well you have to consider that the aliens might be primitive and unable to travel space. For all we know they might be using spears and bows. Until we get better or some advanced civ finds us we won’t know.

Flag Post

Even though other life does exist in the universe, that doesn’t mean they’re anywhere near us. You’re still missing the scope of the universe; just in our own galaxy there are billions of stars and they’re relatively close together, hence why it’s a galaxy, but most of those stars are still practically very far away. If there were an alien civilization with the power to travel near light speed, it would still take them decades, if not thousands or hundreds of thousands of years, to reach us, and, again, our own galaxy is damn big and our solar system is literally just a piece of dust compared to its entirety. That all means the chances of aliens finding us and getting to us either by chance or because they know life exists here is still very small. However, those small chances due to the size of the universe also dramatically increase the likelihood that life happened outside of our planet.

Flag Post

Good points on that “distance/time” thing, tenco.

While I already have a good understanding of this, it did cause a little something odd to pop into my mind.

What if God, in Her infinite wisdom well understand that “life” is always contending at the very struggle of conflict. If for nothing more than to just maintain LIFE over death?

We have enough social conflict on our single planet….largely due to simple, silly differences.
Can ya imagine the crap that would be going on if any of our “neighbors?” were close enough to visit?
Can ya then imagine the differences those various alien life forms might have?

Flag Post

I find it extremely improbable that life did not form elsewhere. There are over a trillion trillion stars in the observable universe, most of those with planets in the Goldilocks Zone, and they had billions of years to develop (so maybe a high-tech civilization existed two billion years ago, and is now extinct). The Urey-Miller experiment makes me think that life is very probable to form in places with liquid water (and the fact that we’re made out of the most abundant elements in the Universe). I do, however, find it very improbable that any intelligent life form will ever find us, since we are but a mere speck of dust in comparison with the magnitude of the Milky Way, let alone the Universe.

Maybe there used to be microorganism in Mars, as we know there used to be water there. Maybe extremophiles survived the loss of Mars’s atmosphere and are living deep down the crust of the planet.

Flag Post
Originally posted by HolyLasagna:

The Urey-Miller experiment makes me think that life is very probable to form in places with liquid water (and the fact that we’re made out of the most abundant elements in the Universe). I do, however, find it very improbable that any intelligent life form will ever find us, since we are but a mere speck of dust in comparison with the magnitude of the Milky Way, let alone the Universe.

When we find the first extra-solar body with life on it, it will be a huge breathrough for our species. Life is not unique to our solar system.

When we find the thousandth extra-solar body with life on it, there will be far less celebration. We may still keep looking but only out of routine mapping, rather than a real desire to know.

By the time we find the one millionth extra-solar body with life on it, we may for all intents and purposes stop looking. We’ll never reach most of these worlds, so what would be the point?

Now flip it. An extra-terrestial society is looking, and Earth would have been the 2,500,000th world they found. They never do find us. With life that common, it would not really be so surprising they just stopped looking.

Flag Post

To build on what vika paints a picture of,,,,
and to do so on what I said in a post above,,,
( and do a better job of explaining where I was going w/ it),,,
I offer this:

Any alien life-form that has the more advanced technology to seek out & ascertain a large number of planets that would have attained the intellectual (such as it is?) level of Earth would perhaps also have the capability to “travel” to these worlds.

Now, the question then becomes: WHY would this advanced civilization want to “visit” Earth?
Perhaps it would be much like we find interest in “visiting” our own past areas that give hint of man/Earth development by seeking out “primitive” tribes and areas like the Galapagos

Maybe the extraterrestrials would come to “primitive” Earth to see that whence they might have evolved or to just see how base another life form can be.

OR, much as we did several generations ago in Africa when we would go to “exotic” areas and hunt beasts not found in our more civilized nations, we would also be “good game” to hunt by these alien lifeforms ala the movie Predator

This fits in w/ what I said in my above post: We have enough social conflict on our single planet….largely due to simple, silly differences.
Can ya imagine the crap that would be going on if any of our “neighbors?” were close enough to visit?
Can ya then imagine the differences those various alien life forms might have?

I had hoped to convey how our Earth civilizations developed its oven differences and how many of these differences have lead to various forms & levels of conflicting/divergent behavior.

Any alien life form that could transcend the vast distances of space to make it to Earth would very likely have even greater such differences from us. Different enough to merely be a curiosity or low enough on the “food chain” to be hunted as trophies. Maybe a Jane Goodall would come to study us.

Of note is the very term: life-FORMS & how their differences would very likely be more than just cultural. I very much wonder just what FORM they would have….ala “litte green men”.

I would very much luv to see all of this happen so as to “see-the-look-on-the-faces” of those zealot-types of Christians that so arrogantly think—that in his whole, near-infinite Universe—we are the ONLY intellectual beings “He” made.

I wonder what “spin” they would then put on their beliefs.

Flag Post

The universe, as far as we know, is infinitesimal, and ends millions of millions of light-years out at the farthest reaches.

There is surely some form of life out there, but we may never experience it, or know of it, for millions of years, as the outwards reaches of our solar system would currently take hundreds of years to reach ( though don’t quote me on that; I am not aware of the exact time it would take to reach the outer corners of the solar system, though I am aware it is an extraordinarily long time ), and so this means we must first develop technology to reach even the outsides of what we currently know of, which could take a long time.

But back on the main topic; we are developed in an atmosphere which is incredibly hospitable to lifeforms, and so it may be thousands of light-years to the nearest planet supporting life. It’s a shame that we may never experience any new forms of life outside of our home planet, but hopefully our ancestors will discover them eventually.

My final verdict is that I feel it is impossible for life to not exist out there, though we may never know of it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

I would very much luv to see all of this happen so as to “see-the-look-on-the-faces” of those zealot-types of Christians that so arrogantly think—that in his whole, near-infinite Universe—we are the ONLY intellectual beings “He” made.

I wonder what “spin” they would then put on their beliefs.

Most likely, an extremely xenophobic slant. Much as the missionaries of old, many Christians would likely see these aliens as intelligent barbarians needing to be ‘saved’, or as a threat to ’God’s divine people’. It is after all, in such a situation where non-human intelligent species are known about, from the stance of ‘every human life is invaluable’ to ‘every non-human life is less valuable than a humans’.

Particularly when viewed through the lens that humanity is God’s chosen people, such a viewpoint could well lead to the belief that these aliens must either be ‘saved’ through proper teachings, or exterminated as a threat to God’s creation.

Originally posted by Steeliosis:

I am not aware of the exact time it would take to reach the outer corners of the solar system, though I am aware it is an extraordinarily long time.

To the outer edge of the Oort cloud, which is essentially the second asteroid belt, mostly made up of comets, would take about a year if you were travelling from Earth at the speed of light. The Oort cloud is not technically the edge of the solar system, but is the last band of matter before the edge itself.

The Voyager 1 probe, launched 35 years ago, is just entering the edge of the solar system now. It is the furthest flung spacecraft we have ever sent, and it has yet to leave our home system even after all that time.

In contrast, our galaxy the Milky Way, is around 100,000 light years wide. The nearest galaxy to us, the Large-Magellanic-Cloud is 25,000 years away at the speed of light. Andromeda, the nearest galaxy of any actual size, comparable to our own, is 2.54 million light-years away, and the galactic cluster all these galaxies are a part of contains 54 of the things and is ten million light years across. It would take approx five times longer to cross it than the Homo genus including all our ancestor species in that genus, has existed on Earth.

If you were to restrict your travelling to just that nearest galaxy, the Large-Magellanic-Cloud, it would take far longer to travel there than the entire time human civilisation has existed.

Oh and that local group? That’s not the observable universe, just a single small clustering of galaxies like a single bunch of grapes on one bush in a vinyard. It would take far longer to cross the full thing that we know of, if travelling at the speed of light, than the universe is likely to have remaining lifespan.

That may put into some perspective just how huge the entire thing is.

Flag Post

Much as the missionaries of old, many Christians would likely see these aliens as intelligent barbarians needing to be ‘saved’, or as a threat to ’God’s divine people’.

There is, of course, an outside chance that they could see us in the same light. America has shown that is is possible to be technologically advanced and still wallow in ancient world superstition.

It was bad enough having the Jehovah’s Witnesses based at the end of my road, missionaries from space doesn’t bear thinking about.

Flag Post

Infinite Space * Infinite time before humanity = Infinite chance of alien life 2

Flag Post
Originally posted by beauval:

Much as the missionaries of old, many Christians would likely see these aliens as intelligent barbarians needing to be ‘saved’, or as a threat to ’God’s divine people’.

There is, of course, an outside chance that they could see us in the same light. America has shown that is is possible to be technologically advanced and still wallow in ancient world superstition.

It was bad enough having the Jehovah’s Witnesses based at the end of my road, missionaries from space doesn’t bear thinking about.

Oh, yeah, just Christians. Because Christians are the only religion in the world. (Worth raging about in a topic that has nothing to do with religion.)

Anyway, you have to be pretty arrogant to think that you are the only “big thing” in the entire universe.

Flag Post

PatriotSaint, I know I can be rather flippant at times, so sorry if I ruffled your feathers. But religion could be important in any meeting with extraterrestrials. There aren’t too many places here where religion still isn’t taken seriously, and if ET turned out to be religious too, both sides could see the other as potental converts. We really don’t want to start a holy war with ET, especially since, if he comes to us, the chances are that he wll turn out to be a lot more technologcslly advanced than us.