alien life page 3

102 posts

Flag Post

O rreally?

Originally posted by tenco1:
Originally posted by thecartm:

There is infinite time before humanity. There is no way to prove this is wrong or right.

So you’re just saying it is because it is.

Chance > 100% = Incorrect math

Fix’d.

Infinity * X (For x is not 0) = Infinity
Beat that.

Flag Post

Great, another non-sequitur.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Yes, I’m serious. You talking about infinity in response to my post is a non-sequitur.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

Ok people, explain this.

http://siriusdisclosure.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/SMG-report-4-22-2013-FINAL-COMPLETE.pdf

Man that’s fucking weird looking. But here you go:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/24/sirius-ufo-documentary-space-alien-atacama-humanoid-pictures_n_3144661.html

It says it was confirmed to be a human male, although I’m not sure I believe that (less than 12 inches tall, really?)

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Infinite Space * Infinite time before humanity = Infinite chance of alien life 2

Alien life is inevitable.

Where do you get the “infinite time before humanity” bit from, please? That does not mesh with the expanding universe models we have.

There is infinite time before humanity. There is no way to prove this is wrong or right. There is also infinite space, meaning if there was a 1 * 10 -9999999999999999999999999999999 percent chance of life times infinity space, there is infinite chance of life. Chance > 100% = Inevitable

no, no, no.

unless you’re going to refer to something cabable of surviving/creating big bangs, or inter-dimensional travell…
though art restricted to the time since the big bang, and the observable universe from our planet.

If you’re trying to use the multi-versal version of the anthorpic principle, well, you’re going to need to be VERY carefull with your infinities. Very, VERY carefull indeed, or you’ll “prove” that 1+1=234 by mistake. and you’ll need to learn about multi-dimensional spaces in probability.
Yeah…

So. Restricted to OBSERVABLE universe, post big bang. Unless you feel like doing things with infinity that would make your calculus teacher queasy and Cantor proud.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

The universe is endless. There are probably billions of other planets home to life. All with different looks and culture. Infinity means endless. This means that every lifeform we can think of or imagine is probably already real, has been real, or will be real.

Flag Post

I think there is Alien life, but they are so far away that we will never be able to contact them.

Flag Post

Keep it simple.
There are millions and millions, billions…even trillions of stars, planets, solar systems…materials…masses and so on out there.
We were created by the materials that was given to us all by being lucky and having random occurrences.
So why can’t that happen to the other trillion masses out there? simple as that.

Flag Post

I feel like this video really helps explain a lot about how and why ailen life might not care, and how hard it would be to travel to other stars.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

I would very much luv to see all of this happen so as to “see-the-look-on-the-faces” of those zealot-types of Christians that so arrogantly think—that in his whole, near-infinite Universe—we are the ONLY intellectual beings “He” made.

I wonder what “spin” they would then put on their beliefs.

Most likely, an extremely xenophobic slant. Much as the missionaries of old, many Christians would likely see these aliens as intelligent barbarians needing to be ‘saved’, or as a threat to ’God’s divine people’. It is after all, in such a situation where non-human intelligent species are known about, from the stance of ‘every human life is invaluable’ to ‘every non-human life is less valuable than a humans’.

Particularly when viewed through the lens that humanity is God’s chosen people, such a viewpoint could well lead to the belief that these aliens must either be ‘saved’ through proper teachings, or exterminated as a threat to God’s creation.

Originally posted by Steeliosis:

I am not aware of the exact time it would take to reach the outer corners of the solar system, though I am aware it is an extraordinarily long time.

To the outer edge of the Oort cloud, which is essentially the second asteroid belt, mostly made up of comets, would take about a year if you were travelling from Earth at the speed of light. The Oort cloud is not technically the edge of the solar system, but is the last band of matter before the edge itself.

The Voyager 1 probe, launched 35 years ago, is just entering the edge of the solar system now. It is the furthest flung spacecraft we have ever sent, and it has yet to leave our home system even after all that time.

In contrast, our galaxy the Milky Way, is around 100,000 light years wide. The nearest galaxy to us, the Large-Magellanic-Cloud is 25,000 years away at the speed of light. Andromeda, the nearest galaxy of any actual size, comparable to our own, is 2.54 million light-years away, and the galactic cluster all these galaxies are a part of contains 54 of the things and is ten million light years across. It would take approx five times longer to cross it than the Homo genus including all our ancestor species in that genus, has existed on Earth.

If you were to restrict your travelling to just that nearest galaxy, the Large-Magellanic-Cloud, it would take far longer to travel there than the entire time human civilisation has existed.

Oh and that local group? That’s not the observable universe, just a single small clustering of galaxies like a single bunch of grapes on one bush in a vinyard. It would take far longer to cross the full thing that we know of, if travelling at the speed of light, than the universe is likely to have remaining lifespan.

That may put into some perspective just how huge the entire thing is.

It’s certainly a lot easier to search for it on Earth than it is on Mars because we have all kinds of tools and technologies available for looking for it, whereas we have to design them especially and haul them to Mars to look for unfamiliar life on Mars. So if there’s the possibility that such life exists on Earth, and I think, theoretically, there’s no reason at this time to dismiss it, then it makes much more sense, and I think it’s much more likely we would detect it here on Earth. The problem, of course, is the signal for extant life on Earth is so strong that we have to figure out ways of recognizing unfamiliar life and discriminating them from familiar life. And that’s the really hard part.

Flag Post

I’m don’t know much about this topic, and correct me if i am wrong, but doesn’t space have different time zones? I mean, black holes bend space and time continuum. And i know we are ions away from discovering alien life, but even if we WERE to discover it, why would we alter their destiny? What they would think of us when we would intervene with their species would be far different or the same as to how we would react when alien life comes here. I would be afraid if alien life were to ever come to us, because then all of the atheists in the world would be atheists forever. I don’t think we could control where they go or we go, and one thing for sure we should control how far our minds can go on this theory. Just don’t listen to the history channel because the history channel is stupid now and everyone knows it. But what we’re wanting here isn’t necessarily just alien life forms, what we’re wanting here is another species that we can interact with and communicate with. Earth is alone, and some people out there just probably think that there is more than just us, and we probably want something new to understand. Some humans are just sick and tired of other humans, so yes there ARE alien life forms out there. But instead of just indirectly saying alien life forms, we should just say: “Are there any species out there that we can communicate with, learn from, and potentially travel to.” Because we all know that life forms such as bacteria, sea creatures, and definitely out there somewhere that were formed depending on the planet’s gas and oxygen level. But is there potential another species that walk on two legs and idolize their view on what created them.

Flag Post
Originally posted by XxsamuroxX:

I’m don’t know much about this topic, and correct me if i am wrong, but doesn’t space have different time zones?

Oh, this is delicious. No, space doesn’t have different time zones.

I mean, black holes bend space and time continuum. And i know we are ions away from discovering alien life, but even if we WERE to discover it, why would we alter their destiny?

What if their destiny is to be found by humanity, or if predetermination is just all BS and the future is in flux?

What they would think of us when we would intervene with their species would be far different or the same as to how we would react when alien life comes here.

Assuming they’re intelligent.

I would be afraid if alien life were to ever come to us, because then all of the atheists in the world would be atheists forever.

Oh dammit…

Okay, I don’t know if you know this, but atheism is the belief that a god (or a certain religion’s god) doesn’t exist. Aliens give fuck all to that.

Also, if aliens did visit us, atheists should be the least of your worries.

I don’t think we could control where they go or we go, and one thing for sure we should control how far our minds can go on this theory.

What theory? Actually, what are you talking about in general, you’re not very clear.

Just don’t listen to the history channel because the history channel is stupid now and everyone knows it.

At least we can agree with that.

But what we’re wanting here isn’t necessarily just alien life forms, what we’re wanting here is another species that we can interact with and communicate with.

Why do you know that’s what “we” really want?

Earth is alone,

As far as we can say with absolute certainty.

Because we all know that life forms such as bacteria, sea creatures, and definitely out there somewhere that were formed depending on the planet’s gas and oxygen level.

No, we really don’t. It’s getting more and more likely, yes, but we still haven’t found it yet.

But is there potential another species that walk on two legs and idolize their view on what created them.

Yes and no. There probably are other intelligent life forms, but they don’t have to be humanoid, nor do they have to have a religion. Hell, they could have gotten to the point where they did, but stopped believing it because they’ve learned enough about the world around them and they don’t need religion anymore.

Flag Post

There maybe is some stupid aliens up there, but i dont really care.

Flag Post

the universe is beyond , there must be something that is wondering if we are here too, I am just opened minded makes life worth living and experience worth even more ! :0)

Flag Post

If there was intelligent life, they are probably dead by now. We would only see the dead civilization when we look up into the stars: seeing the light from the past.

Flag Post

I believe that our universe expands beyond Earth, but I do not believe in alien life in existence. Wouldn’t they have landed their flying saucer now rather than 60 years from now?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draconavin:

If there was intelligent life, they are probably dead by now. We would only see the dead civilization when we look up into the stars: seeing the light from the past.

There’s no reason to assume that it is more probable that other civilisations only existed in the distant past. They would logically run the full gamut from arising at the time of our dinosaurs, to not yet having emerged on their home planets.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AllStarDominatio:

I believe that our universe expands beyond Earth, but I do not believe in alien life in existence. Wouldn’t they have landed their flying saucer now rather than 60 years from now?

I hear this argument all the time, from all kinds of directions: people who argue that aliens have already visited earth, people who argue that aliens are dead, people who argue that aliens don’t exist.
And it always comes down to neither of them understanding probability.

This argument simply doesn’t make much sense. It makes too many assumptions. It assumes that aliens are far more technologically advanced than we, that this technology is in fact advanced enough to allow them interstellar travel over possibly thousands of light years (of not more), that they could actually survive long enough here to make contact, that they could actually communicate with us in the first place, that we could actually realise that they are there…

Flag Post

I would say it is also incredibly self-centric. This assumption that the first thing any alien race would do upon achieving spaceflight is immediately set out on a pilgrimage to Earth. After all, humanity is the most important race in creation is it not? If alien races exist, they would surely seek us out as a matter of urgency, would they not?

It is not all that far removed when you think about it, from the view that Earth is the center of the universe.

Flag Post

I’m pretty sure there are aliens out there somewhere. Our universe is bigger than our minds can comprehend. Plus, we are only one small solar system. There are millions of solar systems beside ours, and many of them could contain an alien life form of some form.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EPR89:
Originally posted by AllStarDominatio:

I hear this argument all the time, from all kinds of directions: people who argue that aliens have already visited earth, people who argue that aliens are dead, people who argue that aliens don’t exist.
And it always comes down to neither of them understanding probability.

This argument simply doesn’t make much sense. It makes too many assumptions. It assumes that aliens are far more technologically advanced than we, that this technology is in fact advanced enough to allow them interstellar travel over possibly thousands of light years (of not more), that they could actually survive long enough here to make contact, that they could actually communicate with us in the first place, that we could actually realise that they are there…

no, they’re actually quite right, EPR. in fact it’s called the Fermi paradox. of course, the question of motile, complex, large sapient extraterrestrial organisms is a seperate question from the question of sessile or very basic life. but the assumption that there should be extraterrestrial life with technology way more advanced as us is the result of basic math.

our star is a very young star. there are solar systems that are billions of years older. so therefor, there will also be planets that are billions of years ahead of us in the opportunity to create life. as the chance for life to spawn on a planet is greater than 0 (religious arguments aside), it seems the chance that no planet ever did so before earth is completely negligible. similarly, the chance for them to create sapient, technology-utilising motile life-forms is virtually a given. of course, it would probably be the minority of such planets to do so (by far), but there are at least billions, if not trillions of planets in our Milky-Way galaxy alone.

and since at least some of these biologies would have to be at least millions, if not billions, of years ahead of us, mathematically… well, just imagine how far we would be technologically a million years from now.

the mistake, the thought trap, that most people make when contemplating alien life, is they imagine one life form, or one planet, and imagine how that would evolve or be like, and how likely it is. but there are millions if not billions of distinctable types of life forms here on earth alone. you have to account for the size of the sample when applying probability logic.

oh, also, why the hell would they try to come in person? you just send robots, obviously.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

This still doesn’t address the other questions like if the technology can exist, or if they would choose us over someone possibly closer, or if they could even see us, or if they do see us if they’d see us now or us millions or tens of millions ago.

Flag Post

well, that’s true. but the technology isn’t too difficult…in fact we can do it too, it’d just be very limited. they wouldn’t have to choose just one solar system, they can choose all of them. they can probably send out scouts to just about every corner of the galaxy that should be able to see us. there’s been large and pretty advanced life-forms on our planet for millions of years, so our planet would most likely be ‘bugged’ by them.

some people imagine they exterminate themselves, or maybe their sun does, before they get that far though.

more here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/funding-xcom-part-1