Boston Marathon Double Explosions

98 posts

Flag Post

This happened just 15-20 mins ago. 2 bombs, each exploding just a few seconds after the other, detonated near the finish line.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/16/us/explosions-reported-at-site-of-boston-marathon.html

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/15/17764747-explosions-rock-finish-of-boston-marathon-2-killed-and-at-least-23-hurt-police-say?lite

Flag Post

Some people are screwed up. It was nice to know Security did a wonderful job keeping people safe there.

ABC Live right now: http://abcnews.go.com/live

Flag Post

Gotta love how the media is already blaming it on those nasty Republicans and people on the far right. The lesson, as always, is to never let a tragedy go to waste.

Flag Post

I agree that the response is certainly going to be weighted, and that it will be exploited for propaganda purposes.

But, when I heard about it, long before I heard any description beyond “bombs blowing up Boston marathon” the far right were the first people I thought of.

Flag Post
Originally posted by issendorf:

Gotta love how the media is already blaming it on those nasty Republicans and people on the far right. The lesson, as always, is to never let a tragedy go to waste.

To be honest, considering the nature of this event, a random right-wing hate-group is pretty high on my suspect-list. This race was always a topic, because it allowed Niggers pretty early. And that Bobbi was able to finish the Marathon, although women weren’t allowed, means also a lot. And the affords to hinder Switzer were medicore at best. (Instead of removing her from the race in all silence, she was unsuccessfully hindered in front of the camera – in my humble opinion a bad theatre play, but it did it’s job.) And countless other things happened in the history of this event, that aren’t in line with the common rigth-wing-agenda.

Flag Post

Because I am from Bosnia, I learned my past and learned were I come from. I’ve seen pictures of the Bosnian War/Genocide (1992-95). I’ve seen pictures of the Boston bombing and the Bosnian War/Genocide. I can look at these pictures and understand it. I feel bad for the victims though. There is also the thing that people would generally think it is the Muslim terrorists or the North Koreans, but from the evidence that is coming out, authorities say it isn’t either the terrorists or North Korea. They say it is a person from within the U.S. Maybe not a politician or a right-wing hate-group, but a U.S. citizen with a pretty sick mind to do this. R.I.P. to victims of explosions. My prayers go to the victims and their families.

Flag Post

This wasn’t executed by a group. The bomb went off at an inopportune time to maximize deaths. The bombs were designed poorly in that they were neither maim or death oriented, but had a wide variety of injuries and deaths related to the blast radius (the bombs ended up mostly maiming, but the point is that this was a statistical happenstance that more people were standing in the range of injury than immediately in the blast radius that mostly caused death. This variety in effectiveness is not something an organized group would invest their time or money into.) The location being unideal coupled with the ease of these things being discovered means the perpetrator was unorganized and didn’t have access to significant resources. This could be a sympathy attack though by an individual that seeks attention and responsibilities from larger organizations. The chances that this was related to white supremacy, to me, is awfully high.

Flag Post

That was just cruel to see. I heard it was some Saudi Arabian guy who did it.

Flag Post

This wasn’t executed by a group. The bomb went off at an inopportune time to maximize deaths. The bombs were designed poorly in that they were neither maim or death oriented, but had a wide variety of injuries and deaths related to the blast radius (the bombs ended up mostly maiming, but the point is that this was a statistical happenstance that more people were standing in the range of injury than immediately in the blast radius that mostly caused death. This variety in effectiveness is not something an organized group would invest their time or money into.) The location being unideal coupled with the ease of these things being discovered means the perpetrator was unorganized and didn’t have access to significant resources. This could be a sympathy attack though by an individual that seeks attention and responsibilities from larger organizations.

Fairly reasonable I suppose.

The chances that this was related to white supremacy, to me, is awfully high.

And that’s the end of that being a reasonable theory. Awfully high that white supremacists are behind this with literally no evidence. Brilliant.

I think Chris Matthews hacked your account.

Flag Post

Um, what? Are you defending white supremacists? I don’t even understand. I’m suggesting it was a non-affiliated white supremacist based on the nature of the marathon, the level of the attack, the lack of taking credit, and the lack of Islamic features, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were a likewise unaffiliated Islamic attack. I just think that’s less likely considering the lack of information regarding suicide and the lack of organization.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheBSG:

Um, what? Are you defending white supremacists? I don’t even understand. I’m suggesting it was a non-affiliated white supremacist based on the nature of the marathon, the level of the attack, the lack of taking credit, and the lack of Islamic features, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were a likewise unaffiliated Islamic attack. I just think that’s less likely considering the lack of information regarding suicide and the lack of organization.

I’m saying that to not only claim that the attack is racially motivated, but to claim that it is ‘awfully high’ is, to me, jumping the gun considering how little evidence there is (unless I’ve missed something, which is wholly possible). I’d be more inclined to think that there wasn’t a motive – just some sick fuck who wanted to cause some damage.

Flag Post
Originally posted by issendorf:

And that’s the end of that being a reasonable theory. Awfully high that white supremacists are behind this with literally no evidence. Brilliant.

You forget, everything is related to white supremacy.

Flag Post

I know nothing beyond news reports, but as everyone else is having a go, I’ll give my theory.

Looks like a one-nutjob effort. No indication of right or left or centre or whatever, but some guy (probably a guy) who decided to draw attention to his cause by making a couple of big bangs.

Flag Post

Look up the history of the race, there’s been lots of white supremacy problems before. That was my major indicator. The other reason is that’s one of the only terrorist organizations in our country that are active enough to have sympathizers that aren’t organized like the larger group.

Flag Post

It’s called guessing. I don’t think anyone is making any pretensions of knowing, but just getting a feel from looking at the situation.

Personally I agree with BSG. I looked more into the details of the marathon’s history, big quagmire of racial politics. I think he is quite right in saying that the bombs themselves are pointing towards an identity if anything is.

My guess is 2-5 member group. White males. Older. Blue collar background. Lower class. Uneducated. Politically motivated. Likely some race/resisting government expression combo. Almost certainly a boston native, or at least very close to the region.

Particularly don’t think it is a lone individual operating out of sadism. Time will tell I suppose.

Flag Post

I would think at least one out of 5 people would have said “Why don’t we blow it up when the pack is at the finish line and there’s the most number of civilians?” No, I think this was a single individual’s actions.

Flag Post

I agree with BSG. Even my mom said that she can kill more people with a bomb.

But at least now, there’s still a possibility that it’s the work of a sadist or madman. If the attack has political aims, someone should have jumped to claim the responsibility by now.

Flag Post

The fact that no one has jumped up to claim responsibility I see justified as an expression of their amateur character. Probably spooked by the shit show, remorseful of the carnage, fearful of the consequences, trying to keep their head down.

Flag Post

Or it was a suicide bomb and the individual’s opinions are being suppressed by the media. As of my last reading of the current events, we don’t know the identity of one of the dead.

Flag Post

Saw this on Mediaite by Eric Ericson (who I don’t especially care for). I think it’s incredibly well-written and the message for both sides of the political aisle to ease up a bit until we actually know things:

We can speculate. We can call it terrorism. But for now we really do not know who or why or even how, just the what and the where. As partisan sides go, both sides will try to find some ground on which to score political points. That is what partisans do these days. It does not matter whether it is right or wrong. It happens. Some on the left rushed out of the gate to blame supposed right wing extremists. It was, after all, tax day. The right went straight to muslim extremists.

But we do not know who did it yet or why.

What we do know is that the President, when he first addressed it, did not call it “terrorism,” as if he must offer up the word as some salve or recognition for horror and terror. It is clear from the look on his face he knows the horror. He knows the terror. The word has become a shibboleth for some. At times like this though, does it really matter? It was a horrifying, monstrous act of terrorism whether the word is used or not.

Multiple bombs, multiple dead, many wounded, that is the reality we are all confronted with regardless of party or politics. Today, pray for Boston. Pray for the victims, their loved ones, and the first responders.

Pray also for the President of the United States and his team of advisors who must now find out who did this and take action.

Flag Post

I really have no political horse in this race, I just speculated because I like puzzles and have familiarized myself with the logic and financing of terrorist attacks.

Flag Post

Apparently there were multiple devices planted in and around Boston that didn’t go off, complicating the situation. The failure of the devices suggests amateurs, but the multitude of the devices implies more than one person was involved. Like I said, these things are fascinating to me, especially speculation.

Flag Post

Or it was a suicide bomb and the individual’s opinions are being suppressed by the media. As of my last reading of the current events, we don’t know the identity of one of the dead.

Possibly, but so much of the stuff is on camera, wouldn’t someone catch him exploding? It’d all require that the bomb reports thus far be falsified… which is, possible. But as for the media repressing some sort of manifesto, it would only be possible if the person responsible was playing by 20th century rules, and bloody mailed the thing to major news groups. It would be effortless to use put that stuff viral and very difficult for the powers that be to suppress.

It is clear from the look on his face he knows the horror. He knows the terror.

Does he? Really now? Stuff like that raises my hackles. He’s a man in a suit, I’m not convinced of his infinite empathy and compassion transcending first hand experience.

But parroting BSG, I don’t really consider myself an avid political pundit. It is, ultimately, a murder mystery. Pulling that into some sort of brainwashing opp isn’t really my goal.

As for the unexploded bombs, they have officially pulled that story. Whether they are covering up, or made a series of mistakes, hard to say. The current description of the bomb is that it was made of a pressure cooker, likely fertilizer explosive, and shrapnel.

A friend of mine mentioned how vertical the smoke and from the explosion was. Pressure cooker seems to fit the bill.

Flag Post

Yep, judging from the colour of the smoke, the stuff might be black powder or some nitrate mix as you said.

I don’t think we can get to the truth by the little information we had.

Flag Post

The person who did this obviously wanted to do some amount of murder with terror. Think about it. The bomb was set off publicly but was not seen before hand. This person might be out for another attack, so I think we should monitor public events. The person wanted to kill people who either did especially well in the race or near the finish line. This was meant to kill, not inspire terror. As for bomb reports, the person might have disguised it or hid it in something else. Cases show it was in a bag; that could have been it’s disguise. This message was sent off in a place so public, too. This was meant either to try and broadcast the killing of many people or send a threat. Not sure of much else.