Looking for something.... (locked)

8 posts

Flag Post
Are you also looking for something?

When I browse the games on this site I always think: No, that’s not it, this isn’t it either. I am looking for something that appeals to me, that I can dive into and enjoy. A game that promises joy.

I cannot name one game but my own games that brought me closer to finding what I was looking for.

Other games here seem like mass-produced goods. Cold, distant, no humour. You don’t play such a game and think “great that I played this game”.

All you realize is that you didn’t find “it”.

They’re all flash games, what are you expecting?

Depth.

Flag Post

You are not looking hard enough. There are many games on here that are more than timewasters.
For example, check out the games of Jonas Kyratzes.

Flag Post

or that game by greg.

Flag Post

As others have said, really. I found one game on here a while ago, to be a great inspiration for a rehabilitation aid. The saga that followed was rediculous:

I contacted the developer to ask if a customised version could be made, and by the time he got it through his head I was trying to shove large amounts of cash down his throat, three months of back-and-forth had gone on, and the NHS trial program I was planning to leverage for the funds to give him, had ended. So the games can be highly useful, but the developers can be rather less so….

other than that rediculous, though sadly true example, there are often many unexpected or unplanned uses of games on this website, even though they are flash-based. The art games in particular can be used for true relaxation after a hard day. Not fun, but soothing and calming.

Others, like Greg’s game referenced above (which I need to find again), are sources of inspiration for other work. Another one I’m playing now, Legacy of a Thousand Suns, a so-so interactive fiction MMO, bases its futuristic equipment so closely on actual science, that a couple of the equipment pieces they offer, have formed the basis for quite serious long-term research proposals I’ve made at my place of work.

Others, like Perspective, I find have really challenged my sense of spatial orientation in 3D environments. The lessons that game taught are now going to stay with me forever, and doubtless greatly influence any future work I do in that field.

Not bad for simple flash games, really.

Flag Post
So the games can be highly useful, but the developers can be rather less so

I am sure this had nothing to do with you.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JensRasch:
So the games can be highly useful, but the developers can be rather less so

I am sure this had nothing to do with you.

Still know how to sweet talk the ladies, I see

Flag Post

It is all in your own hands. We canot state anything really, only things that you shouldn’t play, due to depth being a global word. I myself, play a MMO on this site, called galaxy life. The game itself is ok, but what adds the depth to the game, for me, are both the community and the alliance I have in it.

You cannot always find the depth in a quick rush, you will need to play a few levels of the game to find it.

And if you meant with depth, emotional depth, as I would call it, I would try the game called the company of myself, which has an emotional storyline behind it.

Best thing to help you would be if you could name some games you have played, and aspects you would like to see in your game. Do you like puzzles? Do you want a shooter? In this genre, do you want it to be realistic? etc etc.

Flag Post

also why do they need to be flash games? you can pay a couple of bucks every now and then on the Humble Bundle and get a bunch of deep gaming experiences.