Maturity

27 posts

Flag Post

I have pondered this for awhile, who determines what is mature or immature? From my point I feel it’s a matter of opinion as most everything is. There are instances where some one may say or do something stupid, and that particular person will get the whole “immature” speil. Is that because the person saying the one is immature, aren’t laid back (able ot take a joke), or is the act itself immature not nessecarily the person doing it?

Flag Post

You present a great though. I think its more of the persons actions and what they say. Like if you go and do something that only youngher children would do you wld be considered immature but in a way your right it is sorta opinion

Flag Post

Maturity, like all human specific adjectives, is subjective. What works in one crowd may not work in another. If your friend passes out drunk and you Abe Lincoln him with your pubes and syrup, your other friends will laugh and not for a second question your maturity. If, however, you Abe Lincoln a guy in a coma in the hospital, those around you would not find that mature or funny. It depends on the peer group and the situation that you are in whether said actions or words can be designated as mature.

GO ABE LINCOLN!

Flag Post

erm abe lincoln him?

I think maturiity has nothing to do with age. U can be 5 years old and be ‘mature’ for your age. mature is just another human thought that doesn’t really exist, it’s just a thought in our head maturity has to do with who we are.

Flag Post

hmm i can see where your coming from lop but even if it is a fake type thing it still exits in ourself so how do you think of it

Flag Post

well i think mautrity is how generous a person is to another and not being a crazy rebel in the world just respecting others and not caring so much about themselves.

Flag Post

hmm i feel like theres more to that but i cant exactly explain it

Flag Post

@ 2krewlop: To Abe Lincoln someone is to give them a beard from ear to ear.

I think, maturity, just like any other human specific adjective is completely in the eye of the beholder. It can never be desribed adequately because it is a trait that is age, culture, race and sex specific. A joke that is funny to a white guy may not be funny to a black guy, a 5 year old’s sense of humor may not be amusing to a 30 year old, Et cetera. Because it can’t be described it cannot be taught or learned through vebal means. Through trial and error you will have to learn what applies where and when by doing or saying things that are not appropriate at the time.

Flag Post

Maturity is when someone became a B (It’s not censored in chat but I’m doing it for censorship sake)

Maturity is how people are getting more humane. Those who are obsessed in sex and swear words (Not for anger, for fun) are immature, imbecile (OMG SUCCESSIVE GRAMMAR, MAH ENGRISH TEACHER HAPPY!!!) human beings.

It’s also in the humor. As mature human beings, we do some good jokes but as immature human beings, without thinking for a second or so, they cracked up a bad joke which is stupid.

The ego and the grammar (Unless it’s some other country dude) are also some of the indicators. Mature gentlemens speak in a normal rate while IMMATURE KIDS WRITE CAPS ADN SPELD WONGLY ADN LOT FO SIMELY! :D:D:D:D:D ADNYOU LOOK ME! I HAPPY!!! I HAPPY!!!”

Maturity is obvious. I was mistaken as a 21++ year old by greg, either his puny brain deceived him as usual or my maturity. I’m still learning, still learning.

Flag Post

Maturity, I believe, is a reflection of a person’s image from a greater society.

As mentioned before, the idea of humor is dependent on age. That is to say rather, the idea of what’s funny, and what’s acceptable of humor depends on the age of those that find it humorous.

At age 7, it’s not unusual to find young children, boys in particular, to be highly amused by fart jokes. Whether the actual process, or imitations thereof, most tend to laugh at the subject. The place of this humor tends to have little effect on when they find it acceptable, with, of course, some exceptions.

At age 21, the humor of the basic fart jokes, for example, tends to wane. Simply imitating the sound of it and expecting a laugh, or laughing about it is generally viewed by a larger society to be rather vulgar. In this case, there are rare cases where it is found more acceptable (the reverse of the child). A vulgar stand-up comedian may use it in his material and may receive approving laughs. This is most likely due, I believe, that these jokes don’t become disapproved in and of themselves, rather, our expectations of such jokes becomes more refined. We will, for example, expect a story around the joke, rather than the joke itself. Another exception, of course, is in bars. Most rules are crossed out in bars :p

A child who finds the simple fart joke to be unfunny may be mentally mature for his age. Whereas some college student drop-out who finds it hilarious may be mentally immature for his age.

The same can be applied for a variety of reasons. Subjects of sex, drugs, alcohol, death, illness, race, language, violence are some serious examples, or simpler examples of a grown people playing with toys (I know a 55-year old woman who plays console video games)

Sometimes polar opposite ideas can be on the same maturity level. War is one such example. There are people who can be vehemently opposed to a war or war in general, and be considered quite mature. There are people who can be strong supporters of a war and be considered mature. There can be people on both sides which can be considered immature for the same reasons.

This brings up the idea that in some ways people are considered mature overall in their personality, yet be completely immature in specific areas.

Maturity also deals greatly with how one deals with their emotions. A little kid whining and throwing a tantrum all the time may be considered immature (irregardless of age), one who controls their emotions over time are generally considered more mature. However, the act of being “stubborn as a mule” may also be considered immature.

In the end, maturity is largely determined by a large group. (Definition of ‘large’ is itself subjected to interpretation)

Flag Post

Another question would be: Would the person calling another person “immature” be immature in their actions? After all they are in a way exploiting anothers “weakness” or what they deem to be a “weakness.” Which may act as a “making fun of” scenario. If yes, would that throw out that persons viewpoint as they themselves are deemed immature?

Flag Post

Pot calling the kettle black? Many times without realizing.

I believe it’s their personality that makes them that way. Personalities can be changed though.

But sometimes, they might be right if they’re calling someone immature. For example,

Teenagers who are immature are playing fart jokes and some childish stuff. And then, a teacher walks by and a teenager (Possibly a nerd) will back-stab the teens.

But besides calling someone immature, he/she may find out, “It’s time to change from an immature kid to a mature teenager with raging hormones, dood.”

It all depends on perspective, personality, and how bored are they.

Flag Post

BOOBS FART DOODY

Flag Post

Maturity is a completely subjective scale on which we gauge how other people fit into our society. In other words, it’s invented by society. There is nothing inherently immature about passing gas, or talking about sex, or using bad words. In fact, the taboos we’ve created around these subjects I find extremely silly.

Flag Post

Farting, talking about sex, and swearing isn’t considered taboo. Where the #### do you live? Jesus-town, Kansas?

Flag Post

No I think the state your looking for is utah the mormon capitol of the world. Or as I like to call it “where fun goes to die”

Flag Post

I guess “taboo” is too strong a word. I meant just subjects that are deemed offensive, or inappropriate.

Flag Post

Excellent point. I agree with you, and the fact that it is subjective and depends on the situation. To grandly generalize the criteria, however, I’d say any negative action that is not expected of a certain person due to their age makes one immature, and mature kind of speaks for itself due to the immature definition.

Flag Post

I think that maturity is just when people are acting their age. When i say this i mean your not constantly telling people ….vulgar acts. Also talking about sex or bad words are reflected on maturity just on how you use them

Flag Post

Being mature as an adult, is as you said, acting your age. But as a child you must act above your age to be considered mature. It is much easier to be an immature adult than a mature child, because as a child you must be better than expected, harder than being worse than expected.

Flag Post

being mature is mostly when your an adult but some kids aged 3 to 10 can be mature but when you have sex it is a completley a different matter you lose some of your maturity even at an adult.

Flag Post

How can you even talk about maturity when your username is BadMonkey? LOL.

Flag Post

Same to you BUTTFREAK. Not the most mature of names. Does anyone agree that with relative anonymity immaturity increases?

Flag Post

Yes, I’ll vouch for that.

I’ll admit, I’m rather immature. I mean, pink fuzzy bunny? Lol!

Flag Post

Crap! I didn’t think about that. How embarrassing. I have been defeated.