Excessive cursing

74 posts

Flag Post

I don’t think cursing should be allowed on the website because most of us kids and teens are going to want to abuse that power. The rule “Don’t be a jerk” says not to excessively curse, but who reads it? Basically, allowing kids and teens to even curse at all is like breaking your own rule, that’s why I think you should take off the cursing for kids and teens.

Flag Post

I don’t know how many hours you’ve spent here, but after 1.5 years of being here regularly I almost never witnessed anything like that. At least most people seem to obey, even the younger ones ^^

Flag Post

Yes, actually, its been hours. It takes about 5 games, one curse word, then the excessive cursing starts.

Flag Post

You’re in my chatroom you should know that.

Flag Post

What the fuck?
I think YOU are wanting a baby-sitter w/ big hooters to hold your hand while ya jissle all over SD.

AND, let me get this straight.
Since no one UNDER 13—as in nothing that isn’t a teen OR OLDER—is allowed here,,,
are ya saying that “kids” 20 y.o. & up should be told how to “talk” on SD?
Of course, I’m not referring to the other guidelines regarding CIVILITY in discussion,,,,
just profanity.

So, tell me….what EXACTLY is YOUR problem w/ seeing a “naughty” word on this forum?

Flag Post

I agree it’s a good idea not to excessively curse. I think using powerful words like that in anger only perpetuates said anger. I used to cuss people out when I got angry, and I felt myself getting more angry, more often. Now I restrain myself and I’m a lot more calm.

That said, I think it would be absurd to outright ban swearwords. They are an important part of any language, and it’s idiotic to prevent people from saying them. When integrated in the right context they can embetter one’s speech, and it would be sad to see that ability go. Aside from that, what is a profanity? What makes ‘Fuck’ and worse than ‘Dang’? All it is is our perception, which once again, is a stupid reason to ban something.

Flag Post

Yes, that’s why I can see that your problem doesn’t exist.

Three minutes of spamming or cursing within two hours is less than nothing, and even this amount of time spent on ranting by two or three people out of 80+ is in fact never matched, and esp. not exceeded. Being in the chat for five hours+ without ANY problems overall, constantly, is the normal situation (at least in the rooms I spend time)…

Well, discusing about that with you doesn’t make sense for now – I made my point clear, you didn’t counterargue in any reasonable way, and as long as you can’t, it’s done for me :) No offense, but one or two bad experiences is far below sufficing to state a problematic situation ^^

Flag Post

Cussing is a way for people with weak vocabularies to express themselves. They feel empowered when they cuss in front of women and children…makes them feel more manly.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

Cussing is a way for people with weak vocabularies to express themselves. They feel empowered when they cuss in front of women and children…makes them feel more manly.

Don’t be fucking dense. It’s a useful part of language like any other. Sure, you could call someone a silly sausage, but it lacks the impact of the term disingenuous cunt. It is a great way to weaponise words, and only those with interest in the tone policing of arguments stand against it.

Flag Post

Haha “silly sausage”????

Flag Post
Originally posted by neverstop4325:

The rule “Don’t be a jerk” says not to excessively curse, but who reads it?

Since when does excessive cursing make you a jerk?
This site is PG13 precisely to avoid excessive moderating. It gives posters more freedom but also more responsibility. I suggest you use that responsibility and flag stuff you think violates the rules we have here. But before you do that, lurk for a while and get an understanding of the tone of this website.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

Ah, leave it to jhco to shoot himself in the foot….by so brashly assuming that his point is soooo poignant that he needn’t bother to pull his gun from its holster in order to shoot his good point at one which he deems to be bad.

vika (& several others on this forum), how long have we been trying to get it across to him that his highly frequent use of hyperbole so greatly weakens his points? This weakening can very well be demonstrated by use of an analogy to his statement above if we change a few key words:

Cussing hyperbole is a way for people w/ weak vocabularies positions on an issue to express themselves. They feel empowered whey they cuss use hyperbole in front of women and children those he deems to BE inferior or have inferior positions on an issue…it makes them feel more manly “right”."

Now, it is obvious how sexist he is. I guess I can wonder if he feels/thinks a women feels more womanly when she “cusses”. OR, is he under the highly “ignoringant” concept that women don’t cuss at all? Such exclusionary practices is another of his weaker methods of trying to support his positions.

A very obvious fallacy in his reasoning on cussing: He is assumes that those who cuss have “weak vocabularies”. This likely falls in the begging-the-question fallacy for proving a point.

By every-so-boldly applying his personal opinion to the issue of what other people should do,,,
he tries to support this position by first assuming they have weak vocabularies & that they feel empowered by cussing [in front of….]. Why he focuses his cussing to be around women & children (at the exclusion of men) is greatly contradictory to his original premise: that cussing is wrong in general.

Were he to give his statement more merit, he probably (< < notice the “less-then-absolute” qualifyer?) should have made it thusly:
I believe that when ppl cuss, it very well could be (COULD BE, rather than IS) that they do so because of a weak vocabulary. Or, should they have a rich one…but cuss for a reason that is equally “lacking”. MAYBE (< “diminishing” qualifyer) they feel empowered when they cuss; and this may (< “diminishing” qualifier) make them feel more manly.

Yes, yes…I fully realize that he is merely expressing his opinion on behavior that goes well beyond that which he feels HE should use for himself. BUT, it is when his believing that other ppl should do as he does is where—even though he has a (falsely assumed?) “right” to hold such an opinion—he leaves behind the rational thinking of having a rightful form of a"moral base" which he feels necessary for HIS life; and he (foolishly?) jumps up on a soapbox & begins to PREACH to the masses on how they are “sinning”. Maybe (probably?) because he feels that they should be living their life as he does?

But, we have come to accept that such “moralizing” is merely a strong penchant he has for supporting his position….a pretty obvious begging of the question: I personaly don’t do it because I think it is wrong, so it is therefore wrong for other ppl to do it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by karmakoolkid:

vika (& several others on this forum), how long have we been trying to get it across to him that how he uses hyperbole can very well be analogous to his statement there if we change a few key words.

What annoys me is how the hyperbole is on all the time. It sometimes seems like he cannot speak without inventing great tracts with every breath, and that sweeping statements are the only way he knows how to talk. I know it isn’t. I’ve seen arguments where he has considered the many shades of gray, but he so rarely goes back to use them.

If he would just consider that there are more than two sides to every issue, and use sources to back up his claims, it would help. But even when he states an event with absolute conviction, the rest of us have to go looking for it, as he’s just too bone ass lazy to post a link. That more than anything – the laziness – is what gets up my nose.

Now, it is obvious how sexist he is. I guess I can wonder if he feels/thinks a women feels more womanly when she “cusses”. Such exclusionary practices is another of his weaker methods of trying to support his positions.

I don’t think so. His position is not at all uncommon amoung men of his age group. When they were young, they remember a time when a woman was little more than chattel. We didn’t speak in their presence, and could never, ever, ever wear pants.

You hit it in R&D from time to time. If the panel your findings are being presented to is composed mostly of elder white gentlemen, you send a male researcher in, never a female. It is stupid, but if you want your findings to be accepted to such audiences, the gender of the speaker matters. Some things they’ll take from a man that they never would from a woman.

This potty mouth part is no different. He’ll take swearing by a man trying to feel ‘manly’. But from a woman? If I have him pegged as well as I think I do, he will never accept swearing from a woman. Too unseemly. She’s acting like a man, in his mind. Crossing gender boundaries that were never meant to be crossed. He’ll either reprimand her for it, or wander off muttering under his breath.

A very obvious fallacy in his reasoning on cussing: He is assumes that those who cuss have “weak vocabularies”. This likely falls in the begging-the-question fallacy for proving a point.

Meh, on this point, I do sortof agree with him. Not in volcabulary but in character. If you cannot stop swearing, or you drop the f bomb every other sentence, it identifies the quality of your character immediately, and not in a good way.

Flag Post

english language profanities are just intensives, and you need those. it’s just a part of English language grammar. i mean how many "really"s and "very"s are gonna be comfortable to read?

we really, very much, truly, absolutely, really, quite need those.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:
KKK: A very obvious fallacy in his reasoning on cussing: He is assumes that those who cuss have “weak vocabularies”. This likely falls in the begging-the-question fallacy for proving a point.

Meh, on this point, I do sortof agree with him. Not in vocabulary but in character. If you cannot stop swearing, or you drop the f bomb every other sentence, it identifies the quality of your character immediately, and not in a good way.

LOL, vika…
while ya didn’t necessarily move the goal post, ya kinda changed the rules on how the game is to be played.

Ya went from the rules regarding weak vocabularies to those pertaining to character.
tsk…tsk…tsk.
LOL, jk

BUT, I do agree—to a point of a gray-shade—that blatant disregard for “social amenities” certainly does speak (maybe SHOUT) much about a person’s character. Cussing—much like disCUSSING politics & religion—should be enjoined when there is a (probably initially subtle?)tacit “agreement” between two or more parties that doing such might be something worthwhile.

I don’t see myself as being disingenuously dishonest about who I am (as a total person) merely because I don’t—at least boldly initially—being unabashedly candid regarding my overall true self. I think I’m wanting to use the word “decorum” for this. Maybe “responsive” to the sensibilities of others….maybe “respectful” of their comfort zones.

If ones goal is to have meaningful communication, assuming an (likely?) antagonistic position probably would greatly hamper it. I tend to have my “convo-flavoring radar” very active when initially engaging someone in most all forms of discussion. Ppl vary greatly in what they find as an acceptable manner (and, Emily Post form of “manners”) of conversation. And, they even have differing levels for differing areas//forms of conversation.

Addendum: OmegaDoom, thanks for the early-moring, gets-me-going laugh.
I really, really, Really, REALLY, REALLY, R E A L L Y appreciate it.

Flag Post

I haven’t seen any really excessive cursing on here in comparison to the amount I curse IRL (Which can be quite a lot). It’s not so bad really.

Flag Post

I don’t think cursing should be allowed on the website

Opinion. Let’s see if it’s backed up with a reason why cursing should not be allowed and why it is bad.

because most of us kids and teens are going to want to abuse that power.

And why is that bad?

Flag Post

I don’t think cursing should be allowed on the website because most of us kids and teens are going to want to abuse that power. The rule “Don’t be a jerk” says not to excessively curse, but who reads it? Basically, allowing kids and teens to even curse at all is like breaking your own rule, that’s why I think you should take off the cursing for kids and teens.

I agree with your completely. In blackmyst, the word Bitch is constantly used towards people you don’t like. It’s not just cursing that’s the problem, it’s the passive aggressive behavior and attitude that users have with other users. If someone says 1 back thing about someone else, that person might hold a grudge and forever be against that person. This causes the first: “I hate you bitch,” comment to arise. Lets say this person is also someone who’s arrogant, and doesn’t tell you why they hate you because they’re probably being a hypocrite. Then that leaves the person who “Started it” in all confusion. Then before you know it, word goes around and whoever is friends with the person who hates you, also hates you, within minutes, or even seconds. And it’s not just the hate that goes around and spreads through everyone else, it’s the social aspect of it. If someone doesn’t like you for whatever reason, they will ignore you in chat most of the time, and if they don’t ignore you, then a fight breaks out. Curse words are then used in every sentence, and whoever’s the coolest and most liked person in the argument wins. It’s not like anyone cares, but when this bullying and tension is constantly a problem, so much that the person is going to rally up every single person in chat to join their private chat just to single out and exclude the person who’s going to start arguments against everyone because everyone hates that person but the person is trying to explain at them for whatever reason why they shouldn’t be hated because they don’t know how to deal with people who hate them so much because of judgments being made, picking out favorites, being a constant bitch to someone because they hold grudges..

that’s when it hurts people. And that is what goes on in chats. Admins can’t see it because they aren’t apart of it. And what do you know, someone is hurt, mods can’t do anything because it’s all in private, and everyone who picks on the person they call a bitch has a huge ego. No one gets to be that arrogant. It’s not the hated person’s fault if everyone hates them. There’s mass confusion and constant fighting. So yes, excessive cursing is a problem. But why is it a problem? Is that the actual question, or is the real question “How does it make a problem worse.”

Flag Post
Originally posted by XxsamuroxX:

I agree with your completely. In blackmyst, the word Bitch is constantly used towards people you don’t like. It’s not just cursing that’s the problem, it’s the passive aggressive behavior and attitude that users have with other users. If someone says 1 back thing about someone else, that person might hold a grudge and forever be against that person. This causes the first: “I hate you bitch,” comment to arise. Lets say this person is also someone who’s arrogant, and doesn’t tell you why they hate you because they’re probably being a hypocrite. Then that leaves the person who “Started it” in all confusion. Then before you know it, word goes around and whoever is friends with the person who hates you, also hates you, within minutes, or even seconds. And it’s not just the hate that goes around and spreads through everyone else, it’s the social aspect of it. If someone doesn’t like you for whatever reason, they will ignore you in chat most of the time, and if they don’t ignore you, then a fight breaks out. Curse words are then used in every sentence, and whoever’s the coolest and most liked person in the argument wins. It’s not like anyone cares, but when this bullying and tension is constantly a problem, so much that the person is going to rally up every single person in chat to join their private chat just to single out and exclude the person who’s going to start arguments against everyone because everyone hates that person but the person is trying to explain at them for whatever reason why they shouldn’t be hated because they don’t know how to deal with people who hate them so much because of judgments being made, picking out favorites, being a constant bitch to someone because they hold grudges..

that’s when it hurts people. And that is what goes on in chats. Admins can’t see it because they aren’t apart of it. And what do you know, someone is hurt, mods can’t do anything because it’s all in private, and everyone who picks on the person they call a bitch has a huge ego. No one gets to be that arrogant. It’s not the hated person’s fault if everyone hates them. There’s mass confusion and constant fighting. So yes, excessive cursing is a problem. But why is it a problem? Is that the actual question, or is the real question “How does it make a problem worse.”

Your situation, unlike you may think, is not the one shared by everyone. As has been stated before, just because of a single rare, difficult to duplicate incident has occurred, doesn’t mean that you should limit the freedoms of those who are not partaking in the incident.

Now, as for myself, I do not believe that profanity should be banned, as it is a major part of our language.

Flag Post

They can have my cuss words when they rip my tongue from my cold, dead mouth.

Flag Post

Anyone who is against cussing is a fucking asshole who is trying to control what everyone says.

Flag Post

I’ve been told at work that I swear a lot but as someone else said it’s mainly for emotional emphasis. Similarly for writing, I find curses work better than, for example, someone who capitalizes every second word and pronoun to give the impression he’s shouting constantly. That just sounds obnoxious.

Flag Post

(I think it would be trolling if I posted the Reggie Watts song I was going to link to, wouldn’t it?)

I find many words vulgar that aren’t universally enforced as, and I also think vulgarity is a good thing for contrast, consideration and culture.

Flag Post

What the fuck?
I think YOU are wanting a baby-sitter w/ big hooters to hold your hand while ya jissle all over SD.

AND, let me get this straight.
Since no one UNDER 13—as in nothing that isn’t a teen OR OLDER—is allowed here,,,
are ya saying that “kids” 20 y.o. & up should be told how to “talk” on SD?
Of course, I’m not referring to the other guidelines regarding CIVILITY in discussion,,,,
just profanity.

So, tell me….what EXACTLY is YOUR problem w/ seeing a “naughty” word on this forum?

You could be the poster boy for crude karma. You sound like you grew up in the slums and never learned how to properly be in a normal society.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

vika (& several others on this forum), how long have we been trying to get it across to him that how he uses hyperbole can very well be analogous to his statement there if we change a few key words.

What annoys me is how the hyperbole is on all the time. It sometimes seems like he cannot speak without inventing great tracts with every breath, and that sweeping statements are the only way he knows how to talk. I know it isn’t. I’ve seen arguments where he has considered the many shades of gray, but he so rarely goes back to use them.

If he would just consider that there are more than two sides to every issue, and use sources to back up his claims, it would help. But even when he states an event with absolute conviction, the rest of us have to go looking for it, as he’s just too bone ass lazy to post a link. That more than anything – the laziness – is what gets up my nose.

Now, it is obvious how sexist he is. I guess I can wonder if he feels/thinks a women feels more womanly when she “cusses”. Such exclusionary practices is another of his weaker methods of trying to support his positions.

I don’t think so. His position is not at all uncommon amoung men of his age group. When they were young, they remember a time when a woman was little more than chattel. We didn’t speak in their presence, and could never, ever, ever wear pants.

You hit it in R&D from time to time. If the panel your findings are being presented to is composed mostly of elder white gentlemen, you send a male researcher in, never a female. It is stupid, but if you want your findings to be accepted to such audiences, the gender of the speaker matters. Some things they’ll take from a man that they never would from a woman.

This potty mouth part is no different. He’ll take swearing by a man trying to feel ‘manly’. But from a woman? If I have him pegged as well as I think I do, he will never accept swearing from a woman. Too unseemly. She’s acting like a man, in his mind. Crossing gender boundaries that were never meant to be crossed. He’ll either reprimand her for it, or wander off muttering under his breath.

Meh, on this point, I do sortof agree with him. Not in volcabulary but in character. If you cannot stop swearing, or you drop the f bomb every other sentence, it identifies the quality of your character immediately, and not in a good way.

So here we are and you are ragging on me behind my back. What a coward you and karma are. I hope you two don’t break your arms patting yourselves on the back. And why is this sticking in your craw? Because I have morals and you don’t, Vika. I have the welfare of the younger readers in mind and you two want to teach them your weird ideas of what you think is right, lack of virtues. It must make you two feel wonderful being able to cuss in front of these young people. I can understand karmas penchant for cussing, he is unintelligent, but you are just outside the bounds of normality. I often wonder if you two can even sleep at night knowing you are truly outcasts of society.