Excessive cursing page 3

74 posts

Flag Post
He’s saying we cannot handle swearing. That we are fragile, delicate china dolls who will faint away or snap brittly should we be exposed to a strong manly cuss word. Men can handle being sworn at, or sworn around, but us delicate creatures cannot…

Maybe I’m missing it, but I just looked back at every post he said, and the only thing that could be stretched to be interpreted as this was when he said, “they may not be delicate, but they enjoy being special in their husband or father’s eyes.” I’m just not seeing him saying that women are delicate flowers that would swoon under the weight of an f-bomb.

You seriously don’t see the sexism in that point of view?

Yeah, if that’s his stance then I would see the sexism. I just don’t see him possessing that point of view. Perhaps he’ll come back and clarify his stance in which case if he more clearly states that he doesn’t swear in front of women for reasons other than being a gentleman, then I’ll disagree with him. As is, nothing he’s said I find particularly sexist although if I were a woman, I’d potentially have a different opinion.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Its more the other way around,. He’s saying we cannot handle swearing. That we are fragile, delicate china dolls who will faint away or snap brittly should we be exposed to a strong manly cuss word. Men can handle being sworn at, or sworn around, but us delicate creatures cannot…

You seriously don’t see the sexism in that point of view?

You don’t swear at individuals, I don’t swear at individuals. His blanket statement about women not being able to handle being sworn at is what I find umbridge with.

No, you are having the self-victimisation symptoms now.

My father works in a company where he must deal with both lowly workers and government officials. I see so many times when he switch from a full-on vulgar style to a gentleman register. Of course, swearing would not give officials a vertigo.

This tells us, when men don’t swear in front of women, they just want to get good impression. They want to be a gentleman in front of girls, which I think is justified. They want the girls to know that they are not low-born orcs, that’s all.

Flag Post

Any dumb person can cuss, including some people who posted here. Now you may say “Who cares?” or “I can do what I want” well the simple fact is that you have agreed to the terms and conditions have you not? Also I understand you may be upset with what I am saying thinking “f@$% You!” well guess what you can go on cussing but any idiot can cuss, hey my mentally retarted brother (I’m not joking) can cuss he has done it before, it doesn’t make you any smarter or better off. Though it takes a little bit of brain power to express what your thinking with big kid words. If you are such “Adults” act like it. I know you probably hate to hear this(or you think I’m right) but either way I would rather not be just any idiot who can cuss, I think it is not only a matter of what you agreed to but also your character (Maybe you have none) so cuss all you want I don’t care I will just block your face, and know I just ignored another Idiot. Good for you you’ve informed others that you are an uneducated fool, and an uncultured swine. (Yay!) To all you who agree or do not cuss, I salute you.
Sorry for taking a long time maybe rambling ( I do that)

Flag Post
Originally posted by RebeccasKnight:

Any dumb person can cuss, including some people who posted here. Now you may say “Who cares?” or “I can do what I want” well the simple fact is that you have agreed to the terms and conditions have you not? Also I understand you may be upset with what I am saying thinking “f@$% You!” well guess what you can go on cussing but any idiot can cuss, hey my mentally retarted brother (I’m not joking) can cuss he has done it before, it doesn’t make you any smarter or better off. Though it takes a little bit of brain power to express what your thinking with big kid words. If you are such “Adults” act like it. I know you probably hate to hear this(or you think I’m right) but either way I would rather not be just any idiot who can cuss, I think it is not only a matter of what you agreed to but also your character (Maybe you have none) so cuss all you want I don’t care I will just block your face, and know I just ignored another Idiot. Good for you you’ve informed others that you are an uneducated fool, and an uncultured swine. (Yay!) To all you who agree or do not cuss, I salute you.

Who claimed swearing makes you smarter or appear smarter? Seriously, I missed that claim.

I don’t swear at work because I want to show of my vocabulary, and pretend to be clever, if anything I do it for the inverse reason of fitting in better with the factory workers. Don’t get me wrong they are great guys (and a couple great ladies) but they are not all as well read as some other people. If I walked round work using long well spoken wording, then I’d just get blank looks, many speak English as a second language also so naturally don’t have a huge English vocabulary, yet they all understand swearing just fine because that is the language of the factory floor.

Originally posted by Pulsaris:

This tells us, when men don’t swear in front of women, they just want to get good impression. They want to be a gentleman in front of girls, which I think is justified. They want the girls to know that they are not low-born orcs, that’s all.

I am getting the feeling that America (or where ever you are talking about) is a more different place to the UK than I ever imagined. You send a boy from the Home Counties on a date with a girl from Liverpool and I can tell you exactly where the swearing would come from and who’d be most offended (spoiler the girl would be the foul mouthed one).

Is that true for all Scouse women, no, but no less than your sentiments about treating all women the same regardless of their individual personality is. To some women not swearing infront of them wouldn’t make the right impression because they are smart (and/or common) enough to know that swearing is a commonplace part of the vocabulary these days, and they may think your too stuck up or cannot relax around them if you don’t swear.

I don’t tend to date girls, I much prefer women so I have no idea if girls would like who you pretend to be on a date, but I know a decent woman would see through your façade and you’d get alot more respect from her if you were yourself, not trying to pretend to be something your not.

I have a friend from a slightly more upmarket area of Chester than the slums of Manchester that I hail from so I don’t tend to swear when alone with her, however I am happy to swear infront of her when it is directed at friends who are common folk like myself as that is how we interact. She is intelligent enough, and I know her well enough to know she doesn’t mind swearing around her, but I also respect her and her background enough to not swear in direct conversation to her.

TLDR;
Some women don’t like swearing, some do, some couldn’t care either way. You should treat an individual woman how she wants and deserves to be treated, not just blanket all women under the same old fashioned ideology. It’s pretty much the definition of sexism, when you assume you know someone’s traits based on gender rather than them as a person.

Flag Post

My father works in a company where he must deal with both lowly workers and government officials. I see so many times when he switch from a full-on vulgar style to a gentleman register. Of course, swearing would not give officials a vertigo.

In your father’s factory, all the workers are male, whilst all the government officers are female. That’s the only way your analogy makes sense. All females have absolute authority over your father, whilst all other males are below him and answer to his authority.

Otherwise you’re again making blanket statements (as dd790 points out – thank you) about all women based on anatomy, rather than who we are.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

In your father’s factory, all the workers are male, whilst all the government officers are female. That’s the only way your analogy makes sense. All females have absolute authority over your father, whilst all other males are below him and answer to his authority.

Otherwise you’re again making blanket statements (as dd790 points out – thank you) about all women based on anatomy, rather than who we are.

No. What I want to show is, people use different tones when facing different people. This kind of behavior IS based on stereotypes, like a person with a low socioeconomical status may still be offended by profanity. However, this is not a problem because if a person feels offended, they can EXPRESS it and the people around them will act accordingly. To bring it further, we can all agree that it is acceptable to stereotype a stranger until you know them more, right?

Then, speaking in the sense of evolutionary theories, males want to please the females
Come on, you can’t just say that woman is different from man except anatomy, because we all know that physiology affects mind.

The fact that not swearing won’t offend anybody except perhaps feminists is the reason why males refrain from swearing before women. A pragmatic reason, I suppose.

Flag Post

yet you use the word “idiot” which i believe, when used like that, is also profane.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

Any dumb person can cuss, including some people who posted here.

yet you use the word “idiot” which i believe, when used like that, is also profane.

EXACTLY
As I’ve stated: It really isn’t the word one uses,,,
it is the meaning BEHIND it that is of real consequences.
Within that, Rebecca actually levels an insult at “some ppl who posted here”.
So, are cuss words, foul language, etc. really “offensive”?
Well, I think so far in this thread….the more sage conclusion is that it depends mostly upon the ears that it falls upon and how THEY take it.

And, there is another point that is also being implicitly touched.
It is associated w/ my: _the ears it falls upon".
Something that should ALWAYS be remembered when making effort to communicate w/ others: what ya intend to convey won’t necessarily be what the listener hears. In fact, due to the fact that we all have different personality makeups, a 100% “connection” is extremely rare (just MHO).

I think we are all aware of how easily this difficulty is experienced via the written word because of the more subtle nuances lost in such manner; esp. on a forum like this. Further compounding communication efforts is the superficiality of knowledge of the listener and what certainly words will mean to them.

The main point I’m going for is: Regardless of ones INTENT to not be offensive,,,
that doesn’t mean that such won’t be taken by the listener.
This is what is being implicitly given by the posters whom I have come to rely on for the more “common sense” approach to such issues. They are also connecting to that the concept of: approach cautiously, listen attentively for subtle response, amend as necessary.

Flag Post

Pulsaris. We may just have to agree to disagree. You state yourself, you don’t see people; just walking sterotypes, and you treat people how you believe the stereotype deserves to be treated.

I don’t do that, and never have. I see individuals. I approach them as such and treat them how I would wish to be treated, until they give me reason to believe they should be treated otherwise.

Of course, I’ve also got Scot heritage, which has expressed itself in the usual way: I tend to call a spade a spade, and tell it how it is. Take me as you see me, cos that be all you are getting.

Some don’t like that, others do. Doesn’t particularly bother me either way. So long as I’m giving what I’d like to receive, it all works out. I don’t believe in stereotypes either, and can get a bit pissy if someone’s trying to shoehorn me into one.

Flag Post

With my approach or with your approach, we will offend someone sooner or later (say, some people don’t want you to treat them like how you wish to be treated). However, if we don’t intend to offend someone, and we amend our faults if we really do, it is perhaps justified.

I choose to use stereotypes because it’s convenient. Yes, I admit I see people like cogs in a machine instead of people.

And that’s why we have to agree to disagree.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by neverstop4325:

I don’t think cursing should be allowed on the website because most of us kids and teens are going to want to abuse that power. The rule “Don’t be a jerk” says not to excessively curse, but who reads it? Basically, allowing kids and teens to even curse at all is like breaking your own rule, that’s why I think you should take off the cursing for kids and teens.

Everyone goes about their life the way they want to.
You shouldn’t be telling people what or what not to do, everyone has their rights and if they want to curse, so be it. If you don’t like that, mute them. If they are children, that’s a different story.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kellathor:

I don’t think cursing should be allowed on the website because most of us kids and teens are going to want to abuse that power. The rule “Don’t be a jerk” says not to excessively curse, but who reads it? Basically, allowing kids and teens to even curse at all is like breaking your own rule, that’s why I think you should take off the cursing for kids and teens.

You shouldn’t be telling people what or what not to do, everyone has their rights and if they want to curse, so be it. If you don’t like that, mute them. If they are children, that’s a different story.

Cute avatar

Flag Post

If somebody casually curses in their talking in chat, then it should be acceptable.
If someone is trying to get on others’ nerves then obviously they should be banned or silenced or whatever. :p
It’s not a huge problem, as far as I understand.

Flag Post

no cursing makes me sound manly.

this is a violation of my rights.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:
Originally posted by Kellathor:

Said like a true kid.

I’m not a kid, I’m just stating the facts.

Flag Post

I think people think its the only way to get the word across on te internet I mean good point as well more kids are on this than you think its a flash game website. And since it it remember even people who aren’t Kong members can read this.

Flag Post

Well. Really its the persons choice to swear or not on chatrooms, but if they are caught they will be punished. ( IF )

Flag Post

Well, kids are immature these days. Bitch, F***, and Ass i think are the main roots for continuos swearing. kids don’t know what they say, and it turns to a jumble of words.

Flag Post
I’m not a kid, I’m just stating the facts.

you stated you were 13 in one of your posts.

Flag Post
Originally posted by niceman555:

Well, kids are immature these days. Bitch, F***, and Ass i think are the main roots for continuos swearing. kids don’t know what they say, and it turns to a jumble of words.

It is not only true for kids, many adults don’t seem to have a vocabulary that stretches past swearing.

I still preach the idea of there being a time and a place for swearing, normally a factory or building site, however I see all too often a ‘mother’ walking round a public area cursing like a trooper right infront of her own and other’s kids

Flag Post

It’s called frustration.
A mother with many kids is probably far too overwhelmed to check her behavior. At that moment in time, she most likely can’t self-control her emotional self. Although not developing the habit, helps, and a more conservative approach to using insults helps in the self-control area, but if certain groups don’t mind and find swearing liberating then have it. It’s all about the context in which we place our behavior. When in polite company or around children it’s better to not misbehave, but when you’re being reckless and having a fun time: almost anything goes—shy of breaking any laws.

We like to judge these overworked, overwhelmed individuals, but can we be so disciplinary when they are just being human. We can’t fix all our mistakes; especially, in the state of being overwhelmed. It’s hard in western society to not be overwhelmed, so we just have to cope the best way we can. For the mother swearing like a sailor she is looking for cathartic escape while breaking a rule in self-control to feel that small release of freedom. Although, highly impolite, if that is the way she is coping, then so be it—better she do that, then something really criminal.

On the liberal side we can empathize with this mother, so you will get arguments for her behavior. On the conservative side: she will judged for not having enough self-control and not acting appropriately or ideally. Liberals get we are human and make mistakes, and conservatives are always fighting against their weaknesses.
Now I did outline them in absolute terms, but that is not entirely true because most of us like to moderate ourselves between liberal, and conservative ideals which hold all aspects of the political spectrum and their beliefs within them.

So, at the end of the day: we are all moderates, no matter if we like it or not. Just at the spur of the moment, come election time do we choose to decide more to one side or the other, or whatever niche party we prefer.
Nothing is pure this or that, they are all mixtures.