Do you believe in global warming?

191 posts

Flag Post

If so which form/theory and reasons why.

Flag Post

I believe that the earth is warming up slowly, and that the icecaps are melting. IMO there’s lots of evidence to support this.

However, I also believe that by the time the earth is so hot significant negative changes happen, I will either be too dead to care or at least too senile to care.

Flag Post

I believe that the average temperature of sites across the globe has increased over the past few thousand years, yes. I believe that because it’s true.

Flag Post

no
the solar cycles and the fact that mars is getting warmer to
i dont think there are martians driving suvs over there
seriously read this
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html
or this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle
or just take eightth grade science class

Flag Post

The global climate IS warming – it’s not a question of belief. The big question is whether its cause is anthropic. No scientific body of national or international standing presently rejects the basic findings of human influence on recent climate. This scientific consensus is supported by 97% of publishing climate scientists and a massive majority of studies attribute this warming mostly to human action.

Originally posted by teh_hobo:

no
the solar cycles and the fact that mars is getting warmer to
i dont think there are martians driving suvs over there
seriously read this
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html
or this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle
or just take eightth grade science class

I find it funny that the illiterate “teh_hobo” mentions the solar cycles without knowing that the Sun is colder than average these recent decades. Also, from the same website you referenced to: NationalGeographic on Global Warming.

Also, bud, it’s written in the end of the very article you showed us: “Abdussamatov’s work, however, has not been well received by other climate scientists. In fact, Abdussamatov claims the Earth IS warming and that humans do play a role, he just attributes too much of it to Sun cycles.

Flag Post

I heard that fluorocarbons made massive holes in our ozone but it is slowly repairing itself. The fact of the matter is, we can blame it on the sun or change our culture to be more environmentally aware as it has many other negative impacts other than just global warming.

Flag Post

I mean I’m no climatologist or anything, but when I see that 80-90-95% of the people who devote their lives to studying the earths climate and agree that humans are the cause of the earths average annual global temperature rising, I will probably side with them.

When you look at the historical data of glacier national park and you see that there were 150 glaciers there in 1850, and in the present there are only 25, I tend to side that global warming is happening.

Instead of pursuing conspiracy theories that climate change is a giant hoax by the scientific community, we should really be trying to figure out how much the earths temperatures/weather phenomena is going to change in the next couple of centuries, and whether these changes are worth taking action for or not. The biggest problem in my opinion is going to be the rising sea levels from the melting of glacier ice, which will probably destroy some expensive coastline property. I’ve also heard though that this kind of warming of temperatures can cause more frequent hurricanes/storms etc so that would also be a big concern as well.

Flag Post

No. In the 60-70s it was global cooling and pushed by the same people pushing global warming. The term global warming is no longer an acceptable term as it has so many bad connotations and falsehoods surrounding it. They now call it climate change.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jhco50:

No. In the 60-70s it was global cooling and pushed by the same people pushing global warming. The term global warming is no longer an acceptable term as it has so many bad connotations and falsehoods surrounding it. They now call it climate change.

Your illiteracy is astonishing. This hypothesis had little support in the scientific community, but gained temporary popular attention due to a combination of a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s and press reports that did not accurately reflect the scientific understanding of ice age cycles. In contrast to the global cooling conjecture, the current scientific opinion on climate change is that the Earth has not durably cooled, but undergone global warming throughout the 20th century

Flag Post

It isn’t a conspiracy, if you believe it is then you obviously don’t know much about it, other than by media….a reliable source of information you may agree……I’ll point you in the right direction though, the evidence is in the ocean

Flag Post

Holy, Jhco doesn’t hold any stock in scientific consensus. Please remember that when debating with him. He has repeatedly said he doesn’t believe in science – that their conclusions are no more legitimate than anyone else’s.

You’ll also notice he does not provide sources to back up his core point. Because as he once said “Facts lean left”. He leans far right, so he has to use something other than facts to support his argument and give it the proper leaning.

If you research his core point and present it to him, as I have done a couple of times, you’ll find the facts of what actually happened disagree with what he has said. That won’t stop him repeating the same tripe over and over.

In shortform, if you believe using facts and examples will alter Jhco’s argument or beliefs, it won’t. It never does.

Flag Post
Originally posted by HolyLasagna:

Your illiteracy is astonishing. This hypothesis had little support in the scientific community, but gained temporary popular attention due to a combination of a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s and press reports that did not accurately reflect the scientific understanding of ice age cycles. In contrast to the global cooling conjecture, the current scientific opinion on climate change is that the Earth has not durably cooled, but undergone global warming throughout the 20th century

Good work plagiarizing Wikipedia.

As for the OP, as I write this, there is another global warming thread eight threads below this one. Redundancy FTL.

Flag Post

no lol derp its a mind trick politicians play on our miiinnndsss.

they obviously do it so they can enforce stupid laws and oppress our lives indefinitely.

dam capitalists.

we need anarchy!

Flag Post
Originally posted by HolyLasagna:

Really? I was there (in adult form) in the 60-70s. Answer me this, what happened to the ice age they claimed we were going into? If their hypothesis was correct we would be living in igloos right now. It’s the same with global warming. One scientist comes up with a theory, shows it to his fellow cronies, they all draw conclusions, apply to the federal government for grants to study this theory, and away we go on another wild adventure. I wonder what mankind will be blamed for in the next decade?

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

Holy, Jhco doesn’t hold any stock in scientific consensus. Please remember that when debating with him. He has repeatedly said he doesn’t believe in science – that their conclusions are no more legitimate than anyone else’s.

You’ll also notice he does not provide sources to back up his core point. Because as he once said “Facts lean left”. He leans far right, so he has to use something other than facts to support his argument and give it the proper leaning.

If you research his core point and present it to him, as I have done a couple of times, you’ll find the facts of what actually happened disagree with what he has said. That won’t stop him repeating the same tripe over and over.

In shortform, if you believe using facts and examples will alter Jhco’s argument or beliefs, it won’t. It never does.

I wish you would stop pretending you know anything about anyone. You know nothing about me and yet you post all of those inaccuracies. I suppose you must make some snide remarks as you really can’t debate intelligently.

Flag Post

Really? I was there (in adult form) in the 60-70s. Answer me this, what happened to the ice age they claimed we were going into?

It is still a threat. The Gulf Stream is the primary current providing warm weather to Europe. As the planet warms, there is concern the natural engines driving this stream will weaken or die out. If this happens, Europe will go back into an ice age. Nothing there to combat the arctic weather streams any more.

This is how planetary warming can trigger ice ages, Jhco, by disrupting the mechanisms preventing currently pleasant areas from icing over.

As an aside, I know about you what you present in this forum, and how you present yourself. If you wish what I have said about you to become inaccurate you will have to start providing sources (not YouTube vids) that support your arguments, and take on board the facts presented by others by confirming their validity yourself, and incorporating them into your thought process.

Until you start showing evidence of that, my statement stands.

Flag Post

what happened to the ice age they claimed we were going into?

Who claimed it? It wasn’t any serious scientist, and even less the scientific consensus.

Flag Post

Okay so global warming and how it works:

Oceans absorb approx. 20-25million tons of carbon dioxide every day (most it’s been for millions of years) and carbon dioxide moves from atmosphere to ocean by simple diffusion at the surface and stored in the oceans as carbonate or bicarbonate. Because of the vast amounts being stored in the ocean, the surface becomes more acidic. This change in pH and water temperature will kill off corals in the sea. (Symbiotic algae in the corals cannot survive these changes and corals can’t survive without the algae) This leads to a complete reef community collapse as other organisms depend on them.

Carbon dioxide is being released into the atmosphere quicker than getting dissolved in the oceans. The concentration of carbon dioxide in today’s atmosphere is 387 parts per million and before the industrial revolution it was approx. 265 parts per million. The rate of increase is more than 10 times faster than ever before. That’s because most of the carbon dioxide released by humans just sits in the atmosphere. This has already resulted in the depletion of artic sea ice. Sea level will rise as the polar ice caps melt (combination of glacial meltwater and thermal expansion of ocean water). This will leave a lot of places underwater and due to the rate water will evaporate in a warmer climate, this means there will be more intense hurricanes.

Global warming will reduce the cold winters which means more pathogens will survive. 99% of all pathogens are killed off by the winter cold.

Burning fossil fuels also releases nitric oxide, along with all the fertilisers which release nitrogen into the atmosphere this has caused a nitrogen flux which means excess nitrogen from croplands eventually moves into lakes, rivers and oceans, which results in an increase of nutrients in the water. This is what has happened in the Gulf of Mexico near the mouth of the Mississippi river, caused something called a ‘dead zone’. Because of the increase of nutrients, this caused a massive algal growth and when they die their decomposition process uses up oxygen in the water, causing anaerobic conditions and kills pretty much all present organisms in the area. More nitrogen in the atmosphere means higher rates of nitrogen fixation, which increases atmospheric concentrations of nitrous oxide, another greenhouse gas.

There’s a little bit of information on its effects, don’t be naïve to think that the sea level will rise and that’s all that’s going to happen, we also affect the sulphur cycle (leads to an increase in cloud cover and resulting in less solar radiation reaching the planet) and the phosphorus cycle (causes algal bloom and kills off entire lakes).

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Since my last post was removed, I will post my opinion without the joke.

All of these people are saying that global warming is a government conspiracy.

Why would a government owned by the biggest polluting businesses want to convince everyone that their businesses are destroying Earth?

Also, global warming has been scientifically proven.

Flag Post
Originally posted by gluCROWse:

Also, global warming has been scientifically proven.

Climate change is scientifically proven, global warming is a buzz word used to justify “environment taxes”

Flag Post

What is the difference between climate change (CC) and global warming (GW)? The only difference I can spot is that CC could also mean something such as “global cooling”, thus making GW a more precise term.

Flag Post

Holy it seems your accepting the theory of global warming as fact and pushing it upon others as if it is.
Also is anyone who dosent take 30 minutes to post illterate to you? Seriously my bad if i dont know how to spell.
How come everyone else is stupid and you are the only person thats smart?
This kinda hurts because your a fun person to debate with and discuss topics with.
You actually cause me to try and make this post with the best writing skills i have.
Also the definition of theory

Search Results
the·o·ry
/ˈTHēərē/Noun
1.A supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be…: “Darwin’s theory of evolution”
2.A set of principles on which the practice of an activity is based: “a theory of education”; “music theory”.

Synonyms
doctrine – ism

Basiclly its not the same as fact.

Flag Post

Global warming is an observation. It is a scientific fact – unless we have interpreted the (very clear) data wrongly – which is a very, very unlikely scenario.
Its causes – whether it’s natural or anthropic – are the ones that are open to debate. Scientists have built a theory surrounding the phenomenon in order to explain its mechanisms and have arrived at the conclusion that it’s probably mostly humans. A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of knowledge that has been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment.

I find it funny that you criticize me because I “accept the theory of GW as a fact” based on scientific consensus, when just a moment ago you were negating it based on “8th grade science classes” (which also tends to teach the scientific consensus).
The problem here is that you were wrong about what the consensus is, and not that one of us has “blind faith in science” or something (which is a stupid religious argument).

Flag Post

theories can and most of the time do change i personally think that humans do impact global warming but it is due to factors beyond our control.so let me respectfully ask since we are now accepting it as fact (fyi im athiest therefore saying i am a religous peice of crap is invalid)how do we fix it. i mean the only way i see it being fixed is if all humans go kill themselfs.
p.s. the eightth grade science thing was a joke dont take everything literally