My Body & I

37 posts

Flag Post

I have a pretty skinny body, and so do most of the people in my family. Whenever I eat healthy or I don’t eat much at all, I lose weight, but if I eat junk food all the time I don’t lose or gain anything. I am trying to gain a little bit of weight and then turn it into muscle by going to the gym. Does anybody know why my body is like this? I don’t have a disease or infection (anorexia, bulimia, etc.), so I am very unsure why my body is like this. Please help!

 
Flag Post

I have the exact same problem. I’m super skinny but all I do is eat junk food and sit around most of the time. I don’t know if this will help but I’ve been told that the reason I don’t gain any weight is because I don’t eat regular meals. What I mean by this is I eat small “snacks” constantly throughout the day, and because of this when it comes time to eat a meal like breakfast, lunch, or dinner I’m not really hungry so I don’t eat much. Again I’m not sure if this will help you as I don’t know if you are the same way, but my advice is to not eat until meal times so that way you’re hungry enough to fill up on food. I hope it helps, I for one have not tried it.

 
Flag Post

There is a user called TheGoldenHammer. He’s s professional strongman and has started a health and fitness thread in Off-Topic where he answers fitness and nutrition related questions. I don’t know if he’s still active but if he is he’d be a good address.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by TheQuietGamer:

I have the exact same problem. I’m super skinny but all I do is eat junk food and sit around most of the time. I don’t know if this will help but I’ve been told that the reason I don’t gain any weight is because I don’t eat regular meals. What I mean by this is I eat small “snacks” constantly throughout the day, and because of this when it comes time to eat a meal like breakfast, lunch, or dinner I’m not really hungry so I don’t eat much. Again I’m not sure if this will help you as I don’t know if you are the same way, but my advice is to not eat until meal times so that way you’re hungry enough to fill up on food. I hope it helps, I for one have not tried it.

That makes a lot of sense, considering I don’t ever plan my meals out and I just eat whenever I decide that I’m hungry. Thank you for the response.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by EPR89:

There is a user called TheGoldenHammer. He’s s professional strongman and has started a health and fitness thread in Off-Topic where he answers fitness and nutrition related questions. I don’t know if he’s still active but if he is he’d be a good address.

Thanks for the info, I’ll check it out.

 
Flag Post

eat lots of meat and exercise

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Kellathor:
Originally posted by TheQuietGamer:

I have the exact same problem. I’m super skinny but all I do is eat junk food and sit around most of the time. I don’t know if this will help but I’ve been told that the reason I don’t gain any weight is because I don’t eat regular meals. What I mean by this is I eat small “snacks” constantly throughout the day, and because of this when it comes time to eat a meal like breakfast, lunch, or dinner I’m not really hungry so I don’t eat much. Again I’m not sure if this will help you as I don’t know if you are the same way, but my advice is to not eat until meal times so that way you’re hungry enough to fill up on food. I hope it helps, I for one have not tried it.

That makes a lot of sense, considering I don’t ever plan my meals out and I just eat whenever I decide that I’m hungry. Thank you for the response.

Just eat whenever you are hungry means that if you are healthy your body weight should stay the same. You should only plan your meals if you are already overweight or have something that trows your eating habits off.

 
Flag Post

maybe you have a tapeworm

 
Flag Post

You probably have a very high metabolism.

 
Flag Post

Go for protein.

 
Flag Post

You probably have a high metabolism and plus if your a teenager your body tends to work it off faster because of your hormones. If you want to gain more weight I suggest eating more calories then what you would actually burn off, but try not increase that much of your saturated fat. Avocado, nuts and Cheese are healthy and rich in calories. Of course you should eat three main meals and morning and afternoon tea a day and have a set time e.g. between 8 – 9 breakfast. Yo should also keep a diary of what you eat so you can get an idea of what foods work best.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by satinfreak:

You probably have a high metabolism and plus if your a teenager your body tends to work it off faster because of your hormones. If you want to gain more weight I suggest eating more calories then what you would actually burn off, but try not increase that much of your saturated fat. Avocado, nuts and Cheese are healthy and rich in calories. Of course you should eat three main meals and morning and afternoon tea a day and have a set time e.g. between 8 – 9 breakfast. Yo should also keep a diary of what you eat so you can get an idea of what foods work best.

Thank you very much, I will most definitely try this method.

 
Flag Post

Try GOMAD.

Gallon of (whole) milk a day.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by FullMeasureZam:

Try GOMAD.

Gallon of (whole) milk a day.

But then he’d have to drink whole milk.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by issendorf:
Originally posted by FullMeasureZam:

Try GOMAD.

Gallon of (whole) milk a day.

But then he’d have to drink whole milk.

:O

 
Flag Post

It is most likely a high metabolism.

Your metabolism turns food into energy; if you have one that works fast your body won’t store said food and turn it into energy instead. It will naturally slows down as you grow up, so if your worried about be skinny all your life, you won’t.

If you want to gain weight without waiting for your metabolism to slow down, eat seeds and nuts, as previously advised, will work. Replace simple carbohydrates (examples are white sugar or fruit’s natural sugar, fructose) with complex carbohydrates such as starch and fiber, and vegetables will work well for this. Your body can break down sugar easily, starch and fiber take longer to break down, and recent studies show fiber reduces calorie burning for several hours, meaning less breaking down and more weight. So, opt for whole-wheat bread over white.

And, if you drink coffee, you might want to stop. Coffee increases your metabolism.

Trust me, I’m a nutritionist*.

*(Nutritionist is not a protected title in Saskatchewan, so I can legally call myself one, despite having not a lot of knowledge in the field.)

 
Flag Post

Eat a lot of Calorie Dense Foods. And exercise. Sitting around is just going to make you fat in all the wrong places.

I don’t know how old you are but when I was 16 I weighed 95lbs. By 25 I weighed 200. (I’m 6’3). My eating habits didn’t change, age just slows down the metabolism.

 
Flag Post

It is most likely a high metabolism.

Goddamnit guys

Genetic metabolisms don’t vary as much as you think they do. It’s a possible 200-300 calorie differnce.

Gaining weight = doing too little and eating too much
Unable to gain weight = not eating enough

 
Flag Post

Just wanna say, what you guys think is “a lot of food” probably is not a lot of food. It’s easy to get 600 calories when it’s sugary, oily, junk.

Get 3000 calories of nuts, chicken, some fruit, veggies, and then tell me about how much you eat.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by FullMeasureZam:

It is most likely a high metabolism.

Goddamnit guys

Genetic metabolisms don’t vary as much as you think they do. It’s a possible 200-300 calorie differnce.

Gaining weight = doing too little and eating too much
Unable to gain weight = not eating enough

This, and OP you can’t just turn fat into muscle, it doesn’t work like that. Really if you want to stop being skinny you need to regulate your diet to include alot of protein and regularly do resistance training. Though the most important thing is to eat alot of food – but keep it healthy. You’re never really going to stop being skinny unless you adjust your diet.

 
Flag Post
Get 3000 calories of nuts, chicken, some fruit, veggies, and then tell me about how much you eat.

Ehhh… nuts have a shit-ton of calories (500+ in only a cup). A cup of potato chips has ~150 calories. Nuts are generally good fat (like avocados or olive oil) so eating large amounts of them isn’t the worst thing compared to filling up your diet with cookies, cakes, and chips.

 
Flag Post

It’s a side-note but I’m actually rather envious of your ‘skinny body’ problem. Would you like to swap metabolisms? Please? I’ll pay!

I suspect a great many individuals are. Personally, I’m overweight. 146lbs according to the treacherous scales in the bathroom. I’m trying to go the opposite direction to you: to shed the weight, and whatever I do it doesn’t wish to shift. Its taken six months to get from 160 to where I am now, and the more I lose the slower it wants to come off…

So, perhaps you shouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to lose that blessing?

 
Flag Post

I’m kind of busy lately but I just wanted to tag some threads I strongly approve of. Good thread, I plan to post later.

 
Flag Post

protein and carbs can help while doing some upper body work.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

It’s a side-note but I’m actually rather envious of your ‘skinny body’ problem. Would you like to swap metabolisms? Please? I’ll pay!

I suspect a great many individuals are. Personally, I’m overweight. 146lbs according to the treacherous scales in the bathroom. I’m trying to go the opposite direction to you: to shed the weight, and whatever I do it doesn’t wish to shift. Its taken six months to get from 160 to where I am now, and the more I lose the slower it wants to come off…

So, perhaps you shouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to lose that blessing?

What’s your age? 146lbs is small-regular for an adult