why all the hate against athiests

50 posts

Flag Post

okay so i live in the bible belt of the u.s. and once my friend (well call him jack) figured out i didnt believe in god he tried to “convert me” and well he saw it happening so he annoyed me about it and like any rational human being i got annoyed really quick. so i played along for a bit went to his church and i realized that it was worse than just not going and being annoyed by jack. so i stoped going. jake annoyed me about this for 3 months. then i told him the truth about me going to his church for a short period.he immediately just shut me out of his life and i understood it. until people from shcool started calling me satanist and shunning me.

jake started to hate me for being an athiest and i know this because i apologized about lieing to him about “finding the light” but no he said he hated just because i was an athiest

to get my piont of view look at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxAOOip1nZ4
first part is sarcasm by the way
so what i wanna know is dose this kinda thing happen were you live
am i being irrational for not beliveing whats in a 2000 year old book
and what should i do in order to make things up with jake because its really messing up my socail life and im only posting this because its flown over to the summer
edit i only went to that church because after a year of trying to covince me to go to christiantiy he threw a bible through my open window at night and called it an act of god

Flag Post

How old are you and your friend, Hobo? Right now its sounding like just a spat between two kids. Something that’ll blow over on its own.

Flag Post

I like to think that those religious people who do stereotype atheism (just like that video) are just as bad as atheists who stereotype religion.

As for your friend…tell them to stop forcing it upon you. I thought belief was something that comes from within, not ramming it into your head.

Flag Post

Sadly living, it be the bible belt. Its quite common for folks who live within to believe “if you don’t believe as I do, there’s something wrong with you”.

Sounds like the friend is being told by their parents and other family members that there’s something wrong with Hobo. The connection to satanism, is indicative of that. “If you don’t worship Yahweh, you obviously must be worshipping the other one” sort of mentality.

The possibility that there’s more than two candidates for worshipping, or that a person might choose none at all, is a bit too complex a thought process for most of these people to grasp.

If its just two kids squabbling over belief, then it’ll all blow over soon enough. They’ll find something else to target. If it’s anything more than that, Hobo will presumably let us know.

Flag Post

Here are two sites/blogs run by the same person that may help explain what you are going through from a perspective that is somewhat the same as yours.

http://www.atheistrev.com/

http://www.msatheists.org/2013/03/the-controversial-harassment-post-at.html

He is an atheist that lives in Mississippi. I am pretty sure that he would not mind if you contacted him through the sites for help in explaining your situation and maybe offering some viable solutions for you.

You are not alone, even though living in the babble belt may make you feel like it.

I also post on the Atheist Revolution blog occasionally and I use the same username there as I do here.

Flag Post

“if you don’t believe as I do, there’s something wrong with you”.

Claim it as a disability then? And you don’t want help because that’s the way The Lord designed you and we shouldn’t tamper with gods creations

Flag Post

Its because christianity teaches intolerance and hatred.

Obviously you should convert to a more peaceful religion.

Flag Post

I saw a poll result last year that said atheists are the most ‘disliked’ group in America, at least as far as presidential elections are concerned.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/Atheists-Muslims-Bias-Presidential-Candidates.aspx

43% wouldn’t vote for an atheist, regardless of what else they had about them. And that’s a huge drop against historical data…

I rarely encounter the very religious because my country is (for the most part) beautifully apathetic towards religion. The only extremely religious people I see or hear about regularly in the UK are Islamic, and they’re only a tiny portion of a minority religion and they only get TV time or column inches because an even smaller percentage of them want to kill me.

Indeed, you’re more likely to receive ‘hate’ (or having the piss taken out of you) in the UK for being religious. The worst I’ve ever had is my Gran telling me off (while laughing) for not believing in God.

One supposes that like most group-directed hatred (that directed at groups who haven’t done anything wrong) it’s nothing more than lack of education and tolerance. And a big dose of inherited stupidity, perhaps. Still strikes me as rather odd to have it happen on such a huge scale in a highly developed country.

Flag Post

In my lifetime, I’ve seen a number of issues “resolve” into situations that today seem perfectly natural & normal & as if they were that way all along.

Black civil rights.
Women’s lib/rights.
Gay rights.

“Rights” have always been around.
The issue is WHO has them.
Obviously NOT the ppl who would like to have them.

There is a process that is usually involved in these “happenings”.
Thesis, antithesis, synthesis

While usually, the process simply involves….well, evolvement.
As new ideas (antithesis) are “discovered” and the younger generation is more “equiped” to absorb them.
As time passes and the OLD ppl (old way of thinking: thesis) pass on to their heavenly reward,,,
the “newer”, more prevalent ideology (synthesis) is what becomes the “norm”.

Guys, I have seen shit that would make your stomach turn on ya…..big time.
This latest thing regarding Gay rights is a good example of how just a few years ago a very small percentage favored such rights. Then, in a mere decade (social networking?)….acceptance just simply exploded and now we have a SCOTUS ruling that finally restores rights to the Gays.

NOW, quite simply….the new “revolution” in the U.S. is about religion.
Or, more to the point….NOT being religious.
Atheists are the new “oppressed” minority.

This is partly because most other “miniorities” really don’t have any real issues “on the plate” regarding “rights”. Hell, atheists aren’t being denied any particular “rights”…..other than to be viewed as not being Satan’s minions.

Atheism has always been around.
But, just maybe it is now its turn to have the spotlight of analysis shone on it, run it up the flagpole and see who all notices & will salute it.

This latest tussle between religion in America (thesis) and atheism (antithesis) is somewhat different than the other movements I mentioned above. It was the evolvement of the antithesis that dominated and won over the “old thinking”.

With the atheism//religion “conflict”,,,,
I wonder if it isn’t the huge growth of religion EXTREMISM that itself has “fueled” the surgence of the atheism “movement”. Often times, something has to get really bad before a good idea to replace it can be given some serious consideration. Call it: sanity by contrast.

I don’t think (bell-curve alert) there is a clear divide between “religious” and “non-religious”.
I think there is simply this “shift” away from the lack of “todayness” of the older religious ideology. Christ came along and said he brought a new understanding of the “old (religious) laws”. Those old laws were really fucked.

We’ve been hearing about a “second coming of Christ”.
Well, maybe a modified religious concept that is masquarading as “atheism” IS that second coming?
Maybe we are “coming” to a better concept of what FAITH and LOVE and FAIRNESS and RIGHTeousness is all about?

I don’t think most ppl who might be considered to be “atheists”—esp. by the more “devout” assholes—are quite as strong “disbelievers” as some would like to think. Personally, my trek had me “leave the church” and yet maintain a belief that there was “something behind it all”.
I still believe that….I’m just not going to even dare speculate about what “it” is.

I just quite simply think that the newer concept of atheism is the evolvement, the maturing, the synthesis of the old religious concept. And yes…..the “fight” is on. And, we all know how it is going to go.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:

How old are you and your friend, Hobo? Right now its sounding like just a spat between two kids. Something that’ll blow over on its own.

this year im going to be a freshmen

also on a different note im not like most athiests
i dont believe in evolution nor the big bang
and i also believe that their COULD BE (not is) a higher form of being than myself that has influnce on the afterlife and earth and is sick and twisted
edit also i was christain when i was little like 7 or something but then i started to think is the only reason i believe what i do is because mommy said so? so after that i looked for evidince supporting the bible and i found next to none so after that i became athiest

Flag Post

like to think that those religious people who do stereotype atheism (just like that video) are just as bad as atheists who stereotype religion.

I see no grounds for comparison. The most radical atheist is someone who thinks pious adults are stupid (just like one might think people who believe in Astrology or Santa Claus are stupid) and argues angrily over it on the internet (but let’s not forget that the interwebz is srs biznis).
If you change up the words, that which I just described becomes the description of a very moderate believer. Now add up killing abortion doctors, execrating homosexuals, honor rapes, demonizing atheists, ostracizing liberals, dumb political opinions (abrtion iz wr0ng!11 z0mg gay marriage is st00pid!11), scientific illiteracy, the subjugation of women etc. and you get a radical devout.

Flag Post
Originally posted by teh_hobo:

Yea, highschool age. This sort of shit will happen all the time. If it wasn’t your belief system, they would have picked on something else. You’ve plenty of time for them to do that anyway. Kids be kids – cruel, demonic little buggers with their hormones playing hell with their thought processes.

your Jack thinks you’re abnormal because you’re not one of the ‘cool crowd’ from his perspective. In his perspective, those who worship Yahweh are the ‘cool crowd’ and are following the herd instinct, in a life plan that’s set out for them. You’re shattering that comfort blanket that surrounds him, and making him think. You’re wrong. Right now he’s trying to set you ‘right’ as he thinks right should be. Save you, make you one of the cool crowd, just like him.

He’ll keep on at you until he gets bored and goes away, or it escalates into something you can press charges for. Most likely he’ll get bored and go away, once he’s wised up you cannot be intimidated into having the same belief system as him.

At least you know out of this, that he would never have been a true friend. Better to find out this sort of way than later when you really need someone to lean on.

Scientific understanding and atheism aren’t the same thing. Just because you don’t believe in Yahweh, doesn’t mean you automatically gain knowledge of science, or that a religious person cannot be scientific.

Hell, I’m an occultist, and embrace the empirical data collection and analysis methods as one of the major tools in my search. Belief systems and science can work hand-in-hand regardless of the nature of the belief.

and i also believe that their COULD BE (not is) a higher form of being than myself that has influnce on the afterlife and earth and is sick and twisted

Yup, could be. Or it could be that there’s a higher form of being that sees our disembodied remains as little more than a tasty snack.

Where we have no hard data, it is always best to keep a mind open to the possibilities, lest you fall into the trap of discounting data that doesn’t fit with your world-view.

I discount Yahweh as a source of all creation entirely because of the data I have that he’s a psychological emergent creation of the human psyche. In other words for Yahweh to exist, humans had to be around first. That doesn’t stop me being open to the possibility of other deities out there.

I would never worship any deity, not how I approach the matter at all, but knowledge of what Yahweh actually is, means I can completely skip wasting time trying to serve that creature.

Flag Post

Once about a year ago my friend asked me about my religious beliefs and I was agnostic at the time so I tried to explain my reasoning why (you know, lack of evidence and such) and she freaked out at me and got all offended just because she’s a Christian and believes something different. Like chill people, we live in a day and age where it’s perfectly ok to believe whatever you want and no matter how much you wish it be so, not everyone in the entire world is going to agree with you, so why get so upset.

In my situation she just eventually got over it we even dated for a month (and at that point I had become an atheist, anything can happen i guess)

In your particular situation I’m not sure there is much you can do if you want to keep the friendship if he’s already shut you out, but I’m no social worker or anything. and if someone threw a bible in my window and claimed it was an “act of god” i would call them an idiot and not be their friend but idk your personal situation.

and to OP imo you are not being irrational, in fact you are probably being more rational to question wide spread beliefs regurgitated generation after generation with critical thinking.

Flag Post

People hate. People are bad. People blah.

What is wrong and right are given definitions by whatever structural constructs precede it.
Religion used to be the place of knowledge and information.
Now people don’t have to moralize their actions through religious dogma.
National laws create the structure for our morality, so we don’t need stories of the past to moralize our actions.
Science is still the new way to empirical truth, and the observable truth mixed with fantasy in religion is no longer as relevant in modern society.

We always play a game of what is perceived to be misinformation and what is legitimate information. Eventually with information we can gain knowledge, and finally wisdom, but when the channels are blocked with religious misinformation it’s hard for atheists to accept what they deem nonsense. Yet the religious will believe the dogmas of the past because that is the way they enjoy the world, and it keeps them grounded from doing what they fear may be wrong.

Atheists have worked through what is wrong, and understand the laws of the land. They don’t need a singular religious text to give them direction in life. For the most part, people in the past couldn’t even read, they only had a single text to work with, and religious institutions possessed the world’s information. These centers were the place for scholars. It takes time for people to dissociate these institutions with pure truth, and where we can find other information. Maybe the information holds knowledge, but not always…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draconavin:

Maybe the information holds knowledge, but not always…

It is slightly off the topic here, but don’t discount information purely based on its source, Draconavin. Based on your previous arguments against religion, I suspect that is exactly what you would do. The bible for example, holds some great nuggets of social engineering and so-called ‘common’ sense, that can be applied without delving into the religion part of it.

On the flipside, misinformation is not necessarily religious in nature. You also have strong bias in quite a few ‘scientific’ pursuits, depending on who is funding the studies and the agenda they hold. Don’t be fooled into thinking just because it seems sound, it is.

Flag Post

Truth be told, I don’t inherently dislike information—imagined or true.
Although some is more useful for progress, and not running circularly around in time on a single tid bit of information is not that great when we look for advancement.

Some of the rhetoric in religion is probably tiresome for atheists who don’t look for conversion, but are interested in the stories and ideas—nothing more.

At the end of the day—I never rest on hate: it’s an exhausting and enfeebling endeavor.
If I had all the time in the world: my posts would be cleaner, more tolerant, and less abrasive when I let unnecessary emotions to permeate some of my posts. Too bad time is so unforgiving.

Flag Post
Originally posted by gluCROWse:

Its because christianity teaches intolerance and hatred.

Obviously you should convert to a more peaceful religion.

No, it doesn’t. If you were to pick a religion that does that, at least put Islam, or something. Not even close, 0/5.

Flag Post

If you read all the texts carefully, they all teach hypocritical philosophies. Saying at one time, something is good, while in a different context that it is bad.
It depends on how people choose to exploit the texts to their benefit, and hopefully to the benefit of their peers, which is given some credence somewhere within all their proselytizing.

There is no good or bad. Just people.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AllStarDominatio:

No, it doesn’t. If you were to pick a religion that does that, at least put Islam, or something. Not even close, 0/5.

If you exclude the weirder books like Leviticus and Deuteronomy sure, but it has a dark side just like every other major religion.

Also, any particular reason you singled out Islam, barring ignorance of it, because last I checked it says it’s mandatory to donate a fair chunk of your income to the less fortunate just so you can call yourself a Muslim.

Flag Post

If you exclude the weirder books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy, sure, but it has a dark side just like every other major religion.

You’d have to take alot more out then just Leviticus and Deuteronomy. The Old Testament, start to finish, is a violent, cruel narrative based upon repression or vengeance by self imposed moral superiors.

Also, any particular reason you singled out Islam, barring ignorance of it, because last I checked it says it’s mandatory to donate a fair chunk of your income to the less fortunate just so you can call yourself a Muslim.

I can’t say singling out Islam is fair, but I certainly wouldn’t exempt it. Also unlike Christianity which scriptually starts with War and ends with Peace, Islam scriptually, starts with Peace and ends with War.

Flag Post

The thing is with Christians they say they’re accepting of your religious views, but they really aren’t. I went to this church when I was younger and they would say don’t have anything to do with non-Christians because they will disease your mind and try to take you away from God. They had this child church, and when I was told to go there I was an outsider no one would talk to me and stayed away from me. If anything going to that church made me more determined to not become a Christian. My dad who would drag me to this church would tell me that I will burn in hell and will be unloved for my whole life, and then say it was my choice and he will accept whatever I did. Your friend has probably become part of a church like this and there is really nothing you can do. If he cant accept you and your religious views then he doesn’t deserve your friendship.

Flag Post

It is only human to reject the different. To accept those who oppose is both humane and cruel.

Flag Post
To accept those who oppose is both humane and cruel.

if you hadn’t noticed, the world is fucked up as it is. I am an Atheist, and i proud of it. God is not real. But he is a spirit. Although there is no proof about spirits, there is proof about how God isn’t real. This theory about how this person created the world is complete whack. People who create these stories are completely whack. see the connection? And also, what Words of Wisdom was that?

It is only human to reject the different

Are you the Pope? No, and even if you were the Pope, you are wrong. Any human can do what they want. Benedict Arnold did it. He didn’t find it humane and cruel, did he?

Flag Post
Originally posted by vikaTae:
Originally posted by teh_hobo:

Yea, highschool age. This sort of shit will happen all the time. If it wasn’t your belief system, they would have picked on something else. You’ve plenty of time for them to do that anyway. Kids be kids – cruel, demonic little buggers with their hormones playing hell with their thought processes.

your Jack thinks you’re abnormal because you’re not one of the ‘cool crowd’ from his perspective. In his perspective, those who worship Yahweh are the ‘cool crowd’ and are following the herd instinct, in a life plan that’s set out for them. You’re shattering that comfort blanket that surrounds him, and making him think. You’re wrong. Right now he’s trying to set you ‘right’ as he thinks right should be. Save you, make you one of the cool crowd, just like him.

He’ll keep on at you until he gets bored and goes away, or it escalates into something you can press charges for. Most likely he’ll get bored and go away, once he’s wised up you cannot be intimidated into having the same belief system as him.

At least you know out of this, that he would never have been a true friend. Better to find out this sort of way than later when you really need someone to lean on.

Scientific understanding and atheism aren’t the same thing. Just because you don’t believe in Yahweh, doesn’t mean you automatically gain knowledge of science, or that a religious person cannot be scientific.

Hell, I’m an occultist, and embrace the empirical data collection and analysis methods as one of the major tools in my search. Belief systems and science can work hand-in-hand regardless of the nature of the belief.

Yup, could be. Or it could be that there’s a higher form of being that sees our disembodied remains as little more than a tasty snack.

Where we have no hard data, it is always best to keep a mind open to the possibilities, lest you fall into the trap of discounting data that doesn’t fit with your world-view.

I discount Yahweh as a source of all creation entirely because of the data I have that he’s a psychological emergent creation of the human psyche. In other words for Yahweh to exist, humans had to be around first. That doesn’t stop me being open to the possibility of other deities out there.

I would never worship any deity, not how I approach the matter at all, but knowledge of what Yahweh actually is, means I can completely skip wasting time trying to serve that creature.

Why do you use the Hebrew/ old testament term “Yahweh” instead of God or the holy spirit or the plethora of other terms? Just curious

Flag Post
Why do you use the Hebrew/ old testament term “Yahweh” instead of God or the holy spirit or the plethora of other terms? Just curious

who is God? You could be talking about Buhdda (however you spell it) Zeus, or any other God. I like the term Jesus Christ.