Transgenders - Public Bathrooms

112 posts

Flag Post

I understand that transgender means to have been surgically modified to become a human of the opposite gender.

Do you think a transgender girl should have the right to use the boy’s bathroom?
Do you think a transgender boy should have the right to use the girl’s bathroom?

Flag Post

That’s an interesting question; maybe they should go into either/or restroom and let it all hang out.

Sometimes not even Hollywood has a good answer for that one.

Flag Post

I think that it should be allowed, because saying that they shouldn’t is basically say that straight people and gay people shouldn’t be allowed to use the same restroom.
Edit: I also think that they should be able to choose which restroom they would like to use.

Flag Post

I think someone who is a transgender would want to use the bathroom of the gender that they’ve become, and honestly it wouldn’t bother me as long as they respect the privacy rules (no peeping), but that’s my stance for everyone transgender or not.

Flag Post

Basically, if they look like they belong there, then they belong there.

Originally posted by Kellathor:

I understand that transgender means to have been surgically modified to become a human of the opposite gender.

Also, they go through one whole hell of a lot more than just the surgeries. They’re towards the end of the process, not the start of it.

Flag Post

it should be based on what parts you have

because mens rooms have urinals while womens rooms dont

if you think the room separation is about what you identify as instead of what you physically are, you are dumb.

Flag Post

The gents room are for males and the ladies room are for females.

So, if you become male, go to the gents; if you become a female, go to the ladies.

It is absurd that someone who feels like a male, looks like a male and wants to be a male would use the ladies room.

Flag Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23040500

Story is about a 6 year old boy from Colorado who “identifies as a girl”. No surgery or hormone treatment as far as the article says, just likes pretending to be a girl.

My favourite part of the article is a quote by the Transgender Legal Defence and Education Fund Executive Director Michael Silverman in which he said; “This ruling sends a loud and clear message that transgender students may not be targeted for discrimination and that they must be treated equally in school,”

He wasn’t targeted for any discrimination, I’m sure it is a blanket policy in the school that boys use the boys room, girls use the girls room, it wasn’t targeted at just him her it.
The boy was being treated equally, he has a penis, he uses the gents, it’s the court-case letting him use the ladies that makes him be treated differently to all the other children.

I’m all for equality but this is such a grey area that it is hard to even start setting out rules for it and I worry what rules we will end up with if courts start setting precedents like this. Basically that court case says it is fine for a cross dressing child to use the ladies toilet, so is it fine for a cross dressing man?
If not why not?
Why would a boy have more right to dress as a woman than a man? Is that suggesting it is somehow childish to do so, which surely devalues such people’s chosen lifestyle.
Do you need to be able to prove you have been doing it for a while before your allowed or can any guy don a wig and walk into a ladies room?
Could this liberty be exploited by perverts, or worse?

Questions we will probably soon be getting answers to, for better or worse

Flag Post
Originally posted by dd790:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23040500

Story is about a 6 year old boy from Colorado who “identifies as a girl”. No surgery or hormone treatment as far as the article says, just likes pretending to be a girl.

Wouldn’t be hormones at that age, and since the hormones come before the surgery…yeah.

Do you need to be able to prove you have been doing it for a while before your allowed or can any guy don a wig and walk into a ladies room?

He can try, but he’ll leave on a stretcher.

I think its a case of passing as the gender you present as, before you’re allowed in. In an adult’s case they’d need to have been on hormones for a while, so you can see they have feminine skin, as opposed to a wig and a long, scraggly beard.

Flag Post

Do you think a transgender girl should have the right to use the boy’s bathroom?
Do you think a transgender boy should have the right to use the girl’s bathroom?

Don’t think that understanding of the term transgender is quite correct. Usually now it is a matter of intent or the four dollar word ‘self identification’.

As for which bathroom to use, the one whose gender norm you most resemble. It’s a public area, part of being civil is keeping people comfortable, especially considering there’s no actual difference between the rooms.

In a school context, as DD presents, and anything outside else outside of the private sector, I think they should damn well have the right to use any bathroom they choose. But hopefully the discretion to know which would be the best choice.

Flag Post

In a very practical sense…

IF you are not busted in the bathroom
THEN other bathroom users think you are of the same gender as them (no matter you really are or not)
THEN you are not causing distress to other bathroom users
THEN it is no problem.

Flag Post
In a school context, as DD presents, and anything outside else outside of the private sector, I think they should damn well have the right to use any bathroom they choose.

I disagree, especially in the school setting. Anyone can claim to identify with any gender they want, and high school students cannot be trusted. (And the real problem is not the bathroom so much as the changing room and showers – but it would make no sense for the rules to be different between those.)

Flag Post

Well I would suggest changing rooms and showers are different due to the nudity involved. Frankly I think we should just remove the public aspect of that from the schools.

So being in favor of government adjunct compartmentalizing the population based on gender, where do you feel the line should be drawn? Why, hypothetically not further?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ungeziefer:

Don’t think that understanding of the term transgender is quite correct. Usually now it is a matter of intent or the four dollar word ‘self identification’.

As for which bathroom to use, the one whose gender norm you most resemble. It’s a public area, part of being civil is keeping people comfortable, especially considering there’s no actual difference between the rooms.

In a school context, as DD presents, and anything outside else outside of the private sector, I think they should damn well have the right to use any bathroom they choose. But hopefully the discretion to know which would be the best choice.

Does that mean if I said I was a girl (but I’m really a boy), would that be lying or identifying yourself as transgender?
***I’m NOT transgender, I’m just using this as an example.

Flag Post
Basically, if they look like they belong there, then they belong there.

so how good, exactly, does the illusion need to be? some transgenders you’d never guess, others…you can’t get why that guy’s wearing a dress.

but on the actual OP question: unisex bathrooms are increasing in popularity, and this seems like the way to go. urinals is maybe really a guy thing, but oh well.

public showers and the like though…sport hall dressing rooms… seems like these things have a way of sorting themselves out though. appropriate conduct goes farther than gender typicalness, anyway.

Flag Post

One should use the restroom designed for the gender they were born in.

Flag Post
Originally posted by alexlincoln2:

So a biological man who is transgender should use the women’s restroom?

Flag Post

Not all transgenders have surgery to get the “parts” that they want, some people have surgery on their face, body, etc. but not down there. Let’s say someone was born a boy, but transgendered into a girl, without changing his parts down there. The boy should still be able to use the women’s restroom, because urinals aren’t the only thing to do your business in. Now let’s say someone was born a girl, transgendered into a boy, but had surgery everywhere but there. She should be able to use the men’s restroom, because there are urinals AND toilets there. My point is, any gender can do their business inside a regular, ordinary toilet, and both bathrooms have those toilets.

Flag Post
Originally posted by alexlincoln2:

I hope ya (someday?) realize the duality of your statement there.
Because….by doing so, ya will then be able to understand the actual issue at hand.

Flag Post

He wasn’t targeted for any discrimination, I’m sure it is a blanket policy in the school that boys use the boys room, girls use the girls room, it wasn’t targeted at just him her it.

Oh holy shit! You really did it! You really called a transgendered girl an “it”. NOICE!

Flag Post
Originally posted by urine420:

Oh holy shit! You really did it! You really called a transgendered girl an “it”. NOICE!

I truly, deeply hope that dd was going more for (even though not grammatically correct) them rather than it. It certainly does seem quite …..er, ah, hmmm,,,,well, COLD.

One source defines it as:
Pronoun
1.Used to refer to a thing previously mentioned or easily identified.
2.Referring to an animal or child of unspecified sex.

Another says:
: that one —used as subject or direct object or indirect object of a verb or object of a preposition usually in reference to a lifeless thing <took>, a plant <there>, a person or animal whose sex is unknown or disregarded <don’t know who it is>, a group of individuals or things, or an abstract entity <beauty> — compare he, its, she, they

Was the sex (gender) of the child not that readily determined//specified?

Flag Post

No.

Society shouldn’t have to enable the mentally il.

Individual businesses can do as they please. Restrooms in public buildings should be dictated by chromosomes and not the feelings of the individual. I shouldn’t be able to shit infront of a school because I feel like I’m a dog.

Flag Post
Originally posted by FullMeasureZam:

Society shouldn’t have to enable the mentally il.

OH?
I discount YOUR point on the basis that society does do a whooooole lot of “enabling” of the “mentally ill”.
AND, there are precious few of a society that doesn’t have some for of such illness….
either them self or someone very, VERY close to them.

Individual businesses can do as they please.No.
They can’t.
Are YOU just trolling?

Restrooms in public buildings should be dictated by chromosomes and not the feelings of the individual.
LOL.
And the operative word there is “DICTATE”.
YOUR “world” of what should be and what shouldn’t be certainly does sound a lot dictatorial.
I shouldn’t be able to shit infront of a school because I feel like I’m a dog.

Duh.
Guess what….YOU CAN’T.
Interesting analogy,,,
but hardly germane to the issue.
Actually, quite ignorant.
Still trolling?

Flag Post
Duh.
Guess what….YOU CAN’T.
Interesting analogy,,,
Still trolling?

I dunno karma, zam’s post was a little more on topic than that one you just made. I mean, I don’t know how much research has been done as to whether or not transgender tendencies are a psychological condition (albeit one that isn’t largely hindering to life in general) or just a life choice, but he did make a point. Under what you just said, those who are pre-op transgender should be forced to use their born sex’s bathroom.

I mean, I personally don’t know what to think.

Flag Post

Goddamnit KKK your posting style is still whack as shit. I will attempt to piece it together.

I discount YOUR point on the basis that society does do a whooooole lot of “enabling” of the “mentally ill”.

How so?

AND, there are precious few of a society that doesn’t have some for of such illness….

…wat

I’m going to guess you’re saying that there are very few people with a mental disorder. I never said there wasn’t.

Individual businesses can do as they please.No.
They can’t.
Are YOU just trolling?

I don’t think it’s trolling to want to allow individual businesses to have the right to regulate their bathrooms how they please. They want it dictated by feelings? Go ahead. They want it dictated by chromosomes? Go ahead. They want it dictated by how many ping pong balls you can fit in your mouth? Go ahead. But you’re probably not going to get that much business with the last one.

And the operative word there

Why is everyone using “operative word” instead of “paramount word” or “important word”. You crazy kids.

YOUR “world” of what should be and what shouldn’t be certainly does sound a lot dictatorial.

Oh lord have mercy! I’m just like Joseph Stalin! Labling public (in government owned buildings) bathrooms by nature-given chromosomes while allowing individual businesses to lable them as they please! People will be brought to their knees crying as they are forced to use the bathroom corresponding to their genetics. I will go down in history books as the most evil cruel dictator to ever walk the face of the Earth for purely just suggesting it.

Duh.
Guess what….YOU CAN’T.
Interesting analogy,,,
Still trolling?

Oh gasp! Someone has an opinion different than me on the internet! I hereby determine that their intentions are of a malicious intent and they are trying to force me to watch a motion picture starring Tom Ruse!

Also the analogy is perfectly relevant. If I identify as a dog why can’t I use the dog’s bathroom (outside).